Preview Round 10 2017: Hawthorn vs Sydney, Friday 26th May 7:50pm @SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If selected Whitecross will play his 100th game for the club. It's taken a long time to get there given the two knee reconstructions he had in 2011 and 2013.
2012 and 2013. Hope he gets to play his 100th

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Looks like Gibbo will play. Announced as a guest on the Footy show tomorrow night, doubt they would let him go on if he was going to be dropped.
No way he was going to get dropped anyway. I know many here are calling for the axe to come down on him, and I don't necessarily disagree with them, but as long as Frawley is out and Gibbo himself doesn't get injured, he'll be playing.

Sooner everyone realises that, the sooner they'll stop getting annoyed every Thursday night when he keeps his spot.

Gibson looks very cooked. Seems to be panicking a lot, though the whole team is under more pressure.
Gibson is finitto! the only people that don't know that are Gibbo and Clarko. its like a man with a receding hairline, the inevitable is happening but he's in denial.

I think Shoe is dead and buried , he's probably just satisfied being a 100+ game player and having a premiership medallion.

All you people wanting to write Schoey off, I remember similar gloomy predictions when he didn't play in the GF in 2014, and he came back into form and won a premiership medal in 2015. I would not be surprised if this happens again (probably not the premiership medal but works his way back into the team). Why are people so pessimistic? Things change all the time over a whole season and form and injuries mean anyone on the list can get a go. Or do some people just like to be doomsayers?

Sides won't be named, only the Geelong game.
However your theory will probably be correct and what we want and what we get (like previous weeks) will not eventuate.
The question is, when will we finally get our Bertie Beetle.
Talking of Bertie Beatles where can you buy thos bad boys these days? Only seem to see them in the Melbourne Show showbags? God i could go one right now.....

I think Gibbo and Clarko both know his finished. If Birch didn't get reinjured, Gibbo will not be playing.

Gibbo is like a simese cat, he must have 18 lives... Beyond belief that someone can be routinely terrible for the best part of 12 months and doesn't look like being dropped.

And Punky plays his 150th
Here's hoping he responds to it the same way McEvoy did to his.

No way he was going to get dropped anyway. I know many here are calling for the axe to come down on him, and I don't necessarily disagree with them, but as long as Frawley is out and Gibbo himself doesn't get injured, he'll be playing.

Sooner everyone realises that, the sooner they'll stop getting annoyed every Thursday night when he keeps his spot.
Doesn't annoy me on Thursday, it annoys me every weekend watching him cost us his regulation 2-5 goals. After saying that I think his form has improved in recent weeks, just not to the level required.

All you people wanting to write Schoey off, I remember similar gloomy predictions when he didn't play in the GF in 2014, and he came back into form and won a premiership medal in 2015. I would not be surprised if this happens again (probably not the premiership medal but works his way back into the team). Why are people so pessimistic? Things change all the time over a whole season and form and injuries mean anyone on the list can get a go. Or do some people just like to be doomsayers?

Probably because since the aberration that was the 2015 grand final he hasn't had a decent game and is currently unable to make our senior side with an injury list longer than Santa's naughty list in Children of the Corn. On top of that he's barely making a case for selection at VFL level.

First thing, Heatherley should keep his spot as he didn't do much wrong on the weekend. Was our only key defender in only his second game and handled himself well. He got lost a couple of times off the ball in setting up but Hodgey was instrumental in taking him under his wing and directing him to where he should be lining up/positioning himself. This kind of onfield teaching is massive for a young guy trying to establish himself and it really benefited his game overall.

Secondly, Cousins needs to be given a game. A solid month of Box Hill form has more than earnt his right to play. He's still a kid but his Box Hill form suggests he's not afraid to get his hands dirty and given our midfield is one dimensional at present an extra grunt is something we could really use.

Finally, Vickery did nothing to earn another game but we may persist and Roughead was not much better. Brand needs to play and Heatherley should stay also. Sydney play a tall forward line so it's a good week to play both.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shoey at CHB is worth a shot. Prefer him to Gibbo right now.

I am going to run with this as well for a few weeks.

Shoey is not going to fit in the forward line anytime soon.

We've all been there with the never again in defence but if he is to remain on the list next year & we also have a need for a big defender it makes sense to go "back to the future" & drive him as a CHB.

He is now bigger & smarter to play defence along with a confidence boost of "it's yours to loose", I don't see how this is not worth pushing on with.
His kicking & marking ability alone should have had him in before Heatherly last week & I really feel he will be an asset against the Swans as a mark & kick defender at the SCG.
If he can grab 5-8 contested marks across CHB with a long kick to Gunner, TOB, Rough at CHF we will be well on the way for an upset win.

We've all been there with the never again in defence but if he is to remain on the list next year & we also have a need for a big defender it makes sense to go "back to the future" & drive him as a CHB.

He is now bigger & smarter to play defence along with a confidence boost of "it's yours to loose", I don't see how this is not worth pushing on with.
His kicking & marking ability alone should have had him in before Heatherly last week & I really feel he will be an asset against the Swans as a mark & kick defender at the SCG.
If he can grab 5-8 contested marks across CHB with a long kick to Gunner, TOB, Rough at CHF we will be well on the way for an upset win.

If he can't take 5-8 contested marks against VFL players, what makes you think he'll take that many at AFL level?

Heatherly has far more runs on the board this year at Box Hill and is more adept at playing down back so I don't see why he should miss out for a guy who should only ever play forward. If Schoenmakers were to come in for anyone it should be Vickery.

5-8 a game??? The leading contested marker in the comp (Kennedy) takes 2.9 contested marks per game. The leading defender (Howe) takes 2.2. Maybe need to lower the expectations a little :)

5-8 a game??? The leading contested marker in the comp (Kennedy) takes 2.9 contested marks per game. The leading defender (Howe) takes 2.2. Maybe need to lower the expectations a little :)

Puts Timmy O'Brien's 5 contested 10 mark game against Melbourne into perspective.

I like it and i think its a mych stronger team with those in's , but it will never happen with clarkson's obsession of believing his out of form senior players can get it done
I 'm hoping for change. I worry that we will have wins every now and then that gives the out of form players another stay of execution until the next win.

People saying there is no room for Schoey in the forward line, I think we played better with him in there last year that we are at the moment. Not really that keen for him to be played down back again unless we are desperate. He did play there last week at Box hill though so the coaches may be contemplating this option. He has never really 'starred' at Box Hill ever, and yet he has made it back into the Hawthorn team several times so he must be doing something right.

People saying there is no room for Schoey in the forward line, I think we played better with him in there last year that we are at the moment. Not really that keen for him to be played down back again unless we are desperate. He did play there last week at Box hill though so the coaches may be contemplating this option. He has never really 'starred' at Box Hill ever, and yet he has made it back into the Hawthorn team several times so he must be doing something right.

Schoey played a grand total of 6 games last year for a record of 3 wins and 3 losses - 2 of those wins were miracle wins with goals at the death (Collingwood and Bulldogs games). Of those games our highest score was 112. Every other game we scored less than 100 points. He kicked 3 goals and had 4 goal assists in the games he played in.

On what metric does Schoey improve our forward line? In a forward line that is all at sea - Schoey would be an absolute lead weight. He occasionally has a good game when we are on top - but in a team that's struggling for potency and for delivery - I don't think Schoey is the answer to anybody's prayers.

Heatherly - Brand - Hardwick
Burton - Schoenmakers - Burgoyne

this is the backline i'll like to see most times and when Biirch comes back next week, he replaces Burgoyne who goes to the middle. But it wont happen while Gibbo is taking up the CHB role.

Schoey played a grand total of 6 games last year for a record of 3 wins and 3 losses - 2 of those wins were miracle wins with goals at the death (Collingwood and Bulldogs games). Of those games our highest score was 112. Every other game we scored less than 100 points. He kicked 3 goals and had 4 goal assists in the games he played in.

On what metric does Schoey improve our forward line? In a forward line that is all at sea - Schoey would be an absolute lead weight. He occasionally has a good game when we are on top - but in a team that's struggling for potency and for delivery - I don't think Schoey is the answer to anybody's prayers.

Maybe I was thinking of 2015 (I was sick for half of last season so it's a bit of a blur). There are no miracle cures. He's no worse than Vickery and I would like to see him back in now that we have Roughie back. Anyway, hopefully O'Brien will be back this week so that should help.

Shoey is, and may always be, a case of unfulfilled potential.

That said, played as a lead-up forward working up the wings, he normally halves contests. Doesn't take many contested marks, but doesn't often get outmarked either. Structurally, that's a good thing to have in your side. TOB is playing that role this year, and showing promise.

Hypothetically, if Shoey could translate this and halve more contests playing in defence, I'd be happy with that in our current situation.

Big if of course. Not sure there are that many other options though.

Heatherley looked lost to me last weekend. He competed in the air well enough, but when the ball was in dispute he didn't know where to to go or what to do.

Not sure he'll keep his spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back