Autopsy Round 10, 2017: Sydney vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

. Heeney is not slow nor is Mills but they are not super quick either
Mills is slower than a Wed winter night in Canberra looking for a night out.
Heeney not as slow, but has little turn of pace. All imo of course.

To watch Port keep Hawks to essentially 2 legitimate goals for 99% of the game yet have 30+ shots at goal is galling beyond belief.

How did we lose to these guys? Our list is good I thought? Did we get out coached that much? Seriously concerning... something is very off

If your game style is exploited in 7 out of 10 games I'd say we have every right to complain. Our zone stinks. Longmire can't coach one on one footy. Our onfield leader don't have the capacity to change things and get our players to try something different, like one on one. Longmire can't coach skilled footballers, his game style relies too much on brute strength and brute fitness and not enough on skills. Sorry but you are wrong. No matter how many players we lost we should have been able to beat a half VFL Hawks.
Don't say sorry when you are not, and 'in your opinion' I am wrong which is fairly interesting because as I recall, I was agreeing with someone who stated what he saw...

You pull the game apart play by play, you can criticise the coach, the players, the strategies... but just like everyone else on here it's just your opinion.

You can make as many statements as you want, but that doesn't make them facts.

I saw a team that played the first half 1 man down, and the second half 2 men down run out of steam in the end. Did they play well, not particularly; did they give up at any point, no.

You can 'should have' all you like, but I will never agree

Mills is slower than a Wed winter night in Canberra looking for a night out.
Heeney not as slow, but has little turn of pace. All imo of course.

Mills is a young kid who has exceeded our expectations when playing alongside dominant team mates in 2016 but when Rampe went missing, our whole backline suffered significantly & the confidence was sapped out of nearly every player. The last person you blame for Hawthorn's loss last night would be a player like Howe so people shouldn't point fingers at our young blokes.

Mills has composure but like even the best players in the AFL, will crumble when the opposition's team pressure is applied.

It certainly puts our loss to the Dawks into perspective.

The Hawks went into the game last night with 22 fit players & they all completed the game. No excuses!
People that still want to say that 1 man down in the first minute last week shouldn't make a difference and just highlights their lack of knowledge on this game & how important rotations are, let alone losing a player who has been consistently our most creative all season.
The argument should end right there & I need to pull my head in for even getting involved in such discussion.

Hands up those who believe 22 versus 21 makes no difference to a team & their game plan. Then 22 v 20 for the second half!
That's basically what we are arguing about here.

So Port pressured Hawthorn one on one so that their possession game broke down and kept turning the ball over so Port could swoop on it and score.

Who would've thought that was the way to beat Hawthorn? Gee. :rolleyes:

To watch Port keep Hawks to essentially 2 legitimate goals for 99% of the game yet have 30+ shots at goal is galling beyond belief.

How did we lose to these guys? Our list is good I thought? Did we get out coached that much? Seriously concerning... something is very off
Totally out-coached once again. I have pointed out several times what they do and how they overcome our zone. Very easy really. But our coaching is dumb. Just plain stupid to persevere with a tactic that no longer works. Stupid and totally egotistical to think you can to into new season with last year's tactics that were developed over the previous three years. Just astoundingly egocentric.

On HUAWEI Y560-U23 using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Hawks went into the game last night with 22 fit players & they all completed the game. No excuses!
People that still want to say that 1 man down in the first minute last week shouldn't make a difference and just highlights their lack of knowledge on this game & how important rotations are, let alone losing a player who has been consistently our most creative all season.
The argument should end right there & I need to pull my head in for even getting involved in such discussion.

Hands up those who believe 22 versus 21 makes no difference to a team & their game plan. Then 22 v 20 for the second half!
So we were 20 v 22 in the first quarter? I think not. Our game plan list us the match not lack of numbers.

On HUAWEI Y560-U23 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port could have had 4 men down and still won. That's the difference between a good tactical coach and one that isn't unfortunately

Are you talking about Port Adelaide?
The same Port Adelaide that failed miserably in 2015 & 2016 after threatening for a flag with a "good tactical coach" called Ken Hinkley?
Whoever coached them in those failed years of 15 & 16 deserved getting the arse for having them perform so badly as their coach.
It just goes to prove that bringing back Ken Hinkley to coach in 2017 has been a masterstroke & the 2015 & 2016 bloke that coached Port should never get another gig at an AFL club!:rolleyes:

It's not an either or scenario, though.

I've seen the Swans overcome 4 injuries back in the day. Was it amazing? Yes. Would holding off the Hawks and stealing that game with 2 men down been impressive? Yes.

But our game is not like F1 where it's solely about pit stops. Rotations are a massive part of executing a pregame plan. But AR has other issues which determine the outcome as well.

Rotations affect the back half of the game far more than the first half. And realistically the last 5 mins of each quarter is affected more than the first 5 mins.

Hawks had 5 goals on the board within 15 mins. They had 116 uncontested marks for the game. We let that happen.

Hawks looked tired last night coming off back to back 6 day breaks.
You've gotta laugh Skip!
Excuses that don't sit on here with our mob suddenly sit comfortably with the poor old aging warriors in the Brown & Gold!
Even though they had the bloke that can find the last football on earth.

It's not an either or scenario, though.

I've seen the Swans overcome 4 injuries back in the day. Was it amazing? Yes. Would holding off the Hawks and stealing that game with 2 men down been impressive? Yes.

But our game is not like F1 where it's solely about pit stops. Rotations are a massive part of executing a pregame plan. But AR has other issues which determine the outcome as well.

Rotations affect the back half of the game far more than the first half. And realistically the last 5 mins of each quarter is affected more than the first 5 mins.

Hawks had 5 goals on the board within 15 mins. They had 116 uncontested marks for the game. We let that happen.

Watch the game again if you haven't. You will; find a disorganised team that lost their best exit person out of the backline in Lloyd.
It coincided with the 15 minutes you are talking about where other players had to suddenly change their roles to cover for Lloyd's loss. It put us on the back foot in the first minute & it was the break the Hawks needed & capitalised on. Rotations are critical! Ask anyone involved in top level AFL from TAC Cup to the big stuff.
Ask any coaching department from juniors to seniors. It's critical. That took care of the end of our game but the reshuffling needed to cover the loss of Lloyd gave them the 4 goal buffer that proved their saviour when we courageously fought back.

You've gotta laugh Skip!
Excuses that don't sit on here with our mob suddenly sit comfortably with the poor old aging warriors in the Brown & Gold!
Even though they had the bloke that can find the last football on earth.

Back to back 6 day breaks has been a thing in the AFL for many years now. The Hawks looked very flat in the 1st quarter. After that it was catch up footy.

It seems there are too many variables that make up footy these days, a game that my simple mind struggles with.

Well done on getting the big odds last week.:thumbsu: It seems you were helped by one player going down at the start and another player missing the 2nd half. That's one of those variables that can't be predicted. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back