Review Round 10, 2018 - Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Fantastic game from Gardiner, kept Buddy well in check. Very good games from Beams and Robinson worked hard and did well all game. Good first half from Squizzy and second half from Bundy. Cutler was good, Andrews a rock. Stef dominated the ruck contests.

Sydney's backline too good and having our forwards unnecessarily spraying it everywhere didn't help. Still, competed pretty well. Unfortunately another honourable loss but at least it was honourable.

Fantastic game from Gardiner, kept Buddy well in check. Very good games from Beams and Robinson worked hard and did well all game. Good first half from Squizzy and second half from Bundy. Cutler was good, Andrews a rock. Stef dominated the ruck contests.

Sydney's backline too good and having our forwards unnecessarily spraying it everywhere didn't help. Still, competed pretty well. Unfortunately another honourable loss but at least it was honourable.

Gardiner needs acknowledgement. He's been impressive and beating his opponent cold the last four weeks but this was Buddy, and he nullified him. Huge performance, loss or not.

Went with Beams, Martin, Andrews, Taylor and Robinson, but I don't think anyone had a particularly bad game. Gardiner was excellent to outmark Buddy on a number of occasions, which makes his brain fade at the end all the more unacceptable. I also liked that Christensen, Cutler, Bailey and Cameron all stepped up in the last quarter after average games in the first half - a huge change from last year where everyone used to hang their heads and the Swans would have run away to win by 30+.

Next week I think it should be Mayes in for Eagles and Keays in for Berry (depending on how bad his hammy is). I think Rayner and Bailey will need a rest soon too (though we may hold out til right before the bye), but no one is really stepping up in the NEAFL so I'm happy to leave the rest of the team unchanged.

Few easy missed set shots from us (where Syd nailed all of the equivalent shots) and Syd getting goals from frees/50s was the difference.

Sydney has a great defence - really pulled them over the line.

Gardiner was great. Robbo really stood up as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Despite having a tall forward line it really wasn't suited to the wet conditions, Big O and Hipwood's contested marks aren't their strong suits. Thought we could have won if we kicked straighter and things went our way. I think the team's confidence as a whole has gone up a level, loved seeing Cutler take them on running through the middle when the pressure was on in the last.

Pretty happy really. Just same old story from this season - arguably had more of it but just lacked polish. Vastly improved team and no huge drop off from last week. They are a good football team and we took it right up to them.

They did their homework and sat back (with numbers back at all costs) and let us kick it to them over and over for their reload and run - not sure how Clako missed that memo. We really panic when we get to kicking it inside 50 and have no system.. would pay to lower the eyes a little.

The hate and venom for Bundy and Lewey from some must be personal, both top 12 players and did pretty well.

Robertson does my head in, put games into Mayes.

Cameron entitled to his first bad game of the year, he will bounce back.

We looked tired, backing up off those late Sunday games not ideal.

No one was really great, no one was really bad.

There was a 10 minute patch in the last that was supremely frustrating, dropped marks, spilled gathers, missed kicks inside 50.. it needed benny hill music at times.

Overall another notch on the 'respectable effort belt' and our opponent leaves Brisbane respecting us, that will do for now.

Love this club, love this team, love this journey (even if it tests the ticker from time to time)

Umpiring both ways was an absolute disgrace, the whistle blows and no one knows what its for, half of those frees were garbage, we got our fair share of trash free kicks!!

Lost by three goals and they got two goals from puzzling 50m frees. Meanwhile Gundy just held Oscar or McStay in every marking contest - Rampe as well.. I can see why Clarkson blew up - they just get away with murder.

All that said Swans were much the better side and played the conditions well. A dry track might have been more in our favour. Gardiner destroyed Franklin. So much so they had to give Buddy a couple free kicks that were not there just to make him feel good about life.

Beams and Robinson were absolutely superb. Mitch must go to bed one sore boy after every game. Zorko tried hard and actually was held off the ball or blocked many times. Wasn't a great night for tall forwards but they all had a crack. Rayner will be disappointed he missed a couple marks in last qtr but he will be a superstar. McCluggage and Berry again displayed all there class. Liked Cutlers game again. Witherden was well down tonight and probably got tagged as Swans like to tag 16 players a game.

Yay someone woke up a mod :)

Very frustrating to watch, funny now that we are getting closer we are all getting less patient for a result :)

If Andrews played for a big club in Victoria he would be guaranteed all australian, Garnder did well on Buddy, Berry and Clugga continue to show they will be quality players.

Bailey and Rich outs for next week (and possibly Berry with a hammy). Bailey just not having an impact yet but he will be fine, bring in Keays to play that role. Rich too often shirks the contest and in my opinion doesn't bring enough each week for a senior player.

Super impressive performance, just some silly things let us down, get games into these guys and it will turn.

1) The Swans defense looked better organized which you would expect taking into account their experience and our forwards lack of experience.
2) The easy set shots missed from Rayner and McStay which both went down the other end for a goal virtually straight away hurt.
3) Dizzy outstanding on Buddy.
4) The Swans were cleaner exiting the stoppages.

Nothing that happened tonight has dampened my enthusiasm for where this side can go.

Umpire assumed he gave it back to the wrong player when it was the player who took it from him.

Worst rule in the AFL, however, it doesent matter if the opposition reaches out or gestures for the ball, its the oppositions responsibility to stop and return it to the correct player. I remember Hodge always calling for it at the Hawks amogst confusion and sucking opoosition in, crap rule.

Just got home. Enjoyed our effort. One of those games we could have pinched if we took all our chances. Mcstay needs serious set shot work (mainly between the ears). With three tall forwards Christensen or Robbinson can't play in our forwards as we then don't have enough pace to put pressure on.
We are definitely improving.

Back