VFL Round 10, 2018: Sandringham v Frankston - TBB Oval, Sunday 10th June, 2:00PM AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Firstly it's important to note that they wern't playing a whole lot Frankston is made up of mostly alot of young guys recently out of the development league or Tac cup and a few scattered ex afl players like Will Fordham and Jake Batchelor. In addition the opposition coach is the Saints ruck coach so make of that what you will.

jack Billings - By far in a way to good for this level played wing for about 95 per cent of the day didn't really play inside midfield which i was dissapointed about. Still managed to show some decent clearance work one stoppage in particular showed some very nice evasiveness still hope for him as an inside mid just needs to the chance. Lots of hand ball receives and they were looking for him all the time but used it pretty weel and kicked a ripper goal

Josh Bruce - was good early got his hands to a lot but they didn't always stick.

Hugh goddard - For those putting a line through him remeber how little footy he's played. Took some great marks but like Bruce dropped some tough ones too.

Joyce - really like the way he moves and I think his kicing has heaps of potential. Seems to always put it to advantage. Good in the air and great speed.

Connelan - Very Very quick very simple game for him but if he keeps kicking goals he's a chance sooner rather then later.

Freeman - Good to see him out there playing, good hard work as an inside mid covered the ground well didn't see him burst and I think his shoulder was a bit restrictive but not totally.

Patton - Like Coffield he has great ballance and speed. Makes great decisions and kicks the ball well. Simmilar to Rice but quicker.

Clavarino strted to tke some of the marks he was going for as the game went on still has a long way to go though.

masrahll played a simmilar game to Josh Bruce needed to stick some mroe marks though

Any more questions fire away.

Has Freeman been turned into another one dimensional in and under clearance mid? Haven't seen much of Sandringham this year, but that's the impression I'm getting...

Has Freeman been turned into another one dimensional in and under clearance mid? Haven't seen much of Sandringham this year, but that's the impression I'm getting...
Not really I think he just needs the confidence in his legs to start breaking away but in all honestly you could play him anywhere

Not one dimensional at all. Playing midfield all game.
What do you want him to do, get picked as a mid them run to the wings?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not really I think he just needs the confidence in his legs to start breaking away but in all honestly you could play him anywhere
Partially agree, only caught the third but there were times in that quarter where he was pacing himself.
Which supports your observation.
And he still played well.
He was doing the same thing last year, but I think last year was more about confidence in his body. Which is what you’re saying.
However I believe this year is different.
Today’s “pacing” (if I can use that term) was not confidence based, but game style and structure based.
Current VFL being adult Auskick.
Same outcome but the reasons are different.

I'd still leave JB in the 2s for another week and get him to back it up again.... Fight me, I don't care anymore!

Bruce may have hands like a dolphin but he gives us a lot more then paddy so he should come straight back in.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'd being going the opposite…

Think if we were going to drop billings, it should have been a month ago… now it just looks silly 53/3, can't wait for the coaches to claim some stroke of genius for dropping him though.

Bruce has been very average for over 2 years, paddy took more marks against Sydney than Bruce does most weeks… I'd be getting him to kick a bag before coming back to AFL.

Think if we were going to drop billings, it should have been a month ago… now it just looks silly 53/3, can't wait for the coaches to claim some stroke of genius for dropping him though.

I don't really get that, why does it look silly? He was playing badly, he got dropped and had a big game. If he comes back into the AFL and finds some form then how are you going to argue that dropping him had no impact on that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd being going the opposite…

Bruce has been very average for over 2 years, paddy took more marks against Sydney than Bruce does most weeks… I'd be getting him to kick a bag before coming back to AFL.

Kern I respect your posts and I want Paddy to come good - but Paddy form is not to good and if you compare the 2 even with Bruce not playing well before his injury and lack of preseason - you can not compare

Paddy has been given more than a chance and has let us down .
I do think Bruce needs another game in the two's - however even with the lack of game time Bruce most probably has a bigger tank than Paddy , Paddy should go back to Sandy and kick a couple goals.
Give Battle the reins

Paddy needs another preseason hand home he comes good,
Josh Bruce Name Patrick McCartin

Last Drafted By St Kilda Saints
2018 Stats for Season 2018
3 Games 10
4.3 K
11.7 Disposals Per Game 9.8
4.0 Marks Per Game 5.0
Goals Per Game 0.8
0 Behinds Per Game 1.2
Tackles Per Game 0.9
2.3 Hitouts Per Game 0
2.3 Inside 50s Per Game 1.8
0.3 Goal Assists Per Game 0.2
1.7 Frees For Per Game 0.7
0.7 Frees Against Per Game 0.9
Contested Possessions Per Game 4.0
5.3 Uncontested Possessions Per Game 5.7
Effective Disposals Per Game 6.2
85.5% Disposal Efficiency % Per Game 63.3%
1.3 Clangers Per Game 1.8
1.0 Contested Marks Per Game 1.3
1.0 Marks Inside 50 Per Game 1.6
Clearances Per Game 0
0.7 Rebound 50s Per Game 0.2
0.7 One Percenters Per Game 1.5
Bounces Per Game 0
88.3 Time On Ground % Per Game 76.0
0.7 Centre Clearances Per Game 0
1.0 Stoppage Clearances Per Game 0
3.0 Score Involvements Per Game 4.0
143.7 Metres Gained Per Game 212.6
1.7 Turnovers Per Game 2.8
Intercepts Per Game 0.5
0.3 Tackles Inside 50 Per Game 0.4
$4

Armo can barely crack 10 disposals at afl and got 37.

I’d definately bring jb back in but I have no idea what that translates to at afl, everyone knows he’s better than armitage. Hopefully he brings back some confidence we haven’t seen from him in a while, plus it’s Gold Coast so it’s a prime game for him to return to form.

I’ve been screaming out to give Billings a run on the wing for weeks, seriously think its his best position and gives us a little bit of polish out wide. Reckon he plays alot like Dal Santo.

Played there in his first few years and struggling and to be totally honest these days the difference between wing and hff is bugger all. Where he played wasn’t his problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firstly it's important to note that they wern't playing a whole lot Frankston is made up of mostly alot of young guys recently out of the development league or Tac cup and a few scattered ex afl players like Will Fordham and Jake Batchelor. In addition the opposition coach is the Saints ruck coach so make of that what you will.

jack Billings - By far in a way to good for this level played wing for about 95 per cent of the day didn't really play inside midfield which i was dissapointed about. Still managed to show some decent clearance work one stoppage in particular showed some very nice evasiveness still hope for him as an inside mid just needs to the chance. Lots of hand ball receives and they were looking for him all the time but used it pretty weel and kicked a ripper goal

Josh Bruce - was good early got his hands to a lot but they didn't always stick.

Hugh goddard - For those putting a line through him remeber how little footy he's played. Took some great marks but like Bruce dropped some tough ones too.

Joyce - really like the way he moves and I think his kicing has heaps of potential. Seems to always put it to advantage. Good in the air and great speed.

Connelan - Very Very quick very simple game for him but if he keeps kicking goals he's a chance sooner rather then later.

Freeman - Good to see him out there playing, good hard work as an inside mid covered the ground well didn't see him burst and I think his shoulder was a bit restrictive but not totally.

Patton - Like Coffield he has great ballance and speed. Makes great decisions and kicks the ball well. Simmilar to Rice but quicker.

Clavarino strted to tke some of the marks he was going for as the game went on still has a long way to go though.

masrahll played a simmilar game to Josh Bruce needed to stick some mroe marks though

Any more questions fire away.
In terms of overall indicator of AFL-quality form, how did it compare to, say, a pre-season game or intra-club?

I’d definately bring jb back in but I have no idea what that translates to at afl, everyone knows he’s better than armitage. Hopefully he brings back some confidence we haven’t seen from him in a while, plus it’s Gold Coast so it’s a prime game for him to return to form.
Armo plays in the midfield in VFL but was restricted to the forward line in the AFL. Not comparable with Billings, who will come back in and play in the wing like he did today.

Armo barely cracks 10 disposals at AFL when played as defensive forward. When played as a mid he averages 20+. Neither Armo or JB should ever be played as a defensive forward because they are not good at it. Long is

I hate to have to jump in to defend our coaches, but this idea that Billings has been played out of position this year, and if only he'd be playing in the midfield he'd be playing well, amounts to rewriting history.

Some of you may have forgotten, but Billings was moved out of the midfield and into the forward line last year precisely because he was having no effect as a midfielder. The move into the forward line was credited by Billings himself as the reason he returned to form.

Let's call a spade a spade. Jack was out of form, and it had nothing to do with his position.

Kern I respect your posts and I want Paddy to come good - but Paddy form is not to good and if you compare the 2 even with Bruce not playing well before his injury and lack of preseason - you can not compare

Paddy has been given more than a chance and has let us down .
I do think Bruce needs another game in the two's - however even with the lack of game time Bruce most probably has a bigger tank than Paddy , Paddy should go back to Sandy and kick a couple goals.
Give Battle the reins

Paddy needs another preseason hand home he comes good,
Josh Bruce Name Patrick McCartin

Last Drafted By St Kilda Saints
2018 Stats for Season 2018
3 Games 10
4.3 K
11.7 Disposals Per Game 9.8
4.0 Marks Per Game 5.0
Goals Per Game 0.8
0 Behinds Per Game 1.2
Tackles Per Game 0.9
2.3 Hitouts Per Game 0
2.3 Inside 50s Per Game 1.8
0.3 Goal Assists Per Game 0.2
1.7 Frees For Per Game 0.7
0.7 Frees Against Per Game 0.9
Contested Possessions Per Game 4.0
5.3 Uncontested Possessions Per Game 5.7
Effective Disposals Per Game 6.2
85.5% Disposal Efficiency % Per Game 63.3%
1.3 Clangers Per Game 1.8
1.0 Contested Marks Per Game 1.3
1.0 Marks Inside 50 Per Game 1.6
Clearances Per Game 0
0.7 Rebound 50s Per Game 0.2
0.7 One Percenters Per Game 1.5
Bounces Per Game 0
88.3 Time On Ground % Per Game 76.0
0.7 Centre Clearances Per Game 0
1.0 Stoppage Clearances Per Game 0
3.0 Score Involvements Per Game 4.0
143.7 Metres Gained Per Game 212.6
1.7 Turnovers Per Game 2.8
Intercepts Per Game 0.5
0.3 Tackles Inside 50 Per Game 0.4
$4
bruce seems to have him covered, but then you look at meters gained, marks inside 50 and contested marks, and you remember bruce plays five minutes a quarter in the centre square gaining 12% TOG over paddy and really it's a much of a muchness. I think we should persist with paddy at least for the gold coast game where we're a chance. Bruce got 4 in the VFL sure, but billings got 53 and 3... with billings getting 53 up the ground you'd hope bruce would get at least 4

Billings is a HF that pushes up the ground (Wing) to set up the play for the forwards with his precise field kicking and vision.
High half forward is his position with rotation through the wing. I do believe he should attend centre bounces from time to time, but not full time mid for mine

Remove this Banner Ad

Back