Preview Round 10 2018: Swans v Lions @ the Gabba, Sat 26 May 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screenshot_20180522-141731.jpg

SUMMARY:

After our boys pretty impressive, albeit totally predictable 59 point bludgeoning of Freo at home on Saturday, we travel to BrisVegas to take on the rejuvenated Lions at the scene of their highly improbable but unbelievably brilliant victory over the evil empire by 56 points last Sunday.

We have dominated the Lions recently winning the last 10 games straight, winning by a comfortable average of 44 pts. Not since rd 22, 2009 have we tasted defeat at the hands of Brisbane.

Whilst last week was the Lions first victory of the season, they have been the very definition of gallant in defeat in all but 1 game and most times have just lacked the poise and finish off to register another win or two. The Swans on the other hand are sitting pretty, comfortably in the top 8 on 6-3 whilst never really hitting their straps, but in a vastly better position than the 3-6 we were at this time last year.

THE LAST FIVE:
Rd 7 2017: SCG - Sydney Swans def Brisbane Lions 135-81 (bye bye owen)
Rd 6 2016: Gabba - Sydney Swans def Brisbane Lions 97-94 (stretchergate)
Rd 15 2015: Gabba - Sydney Swans def Brisbane Lions 70-49
Rd 7 2014: Gabba - Sydney Swans def Brisbane Lions 123-44
Rd 6 2013: SCG - Sydney Swans def Brisbane Lions 115-55

POSSIBLE MATCHUPS: (sorry this is NOT my strong suit)
Lance (our best Buddy) Franklin V Harris Andrews - Andrews, with the help of reality show recruit Matt Eagles, did a pretty good job on Hawks captain Jarryd Roughead last week, but Big Bud loves kicking goals against Brisbane, kicking 8, 5 and 3 in his games against the Lions since crossing to the mighty red and white.

Heath (big Reg) Grundy V Eric Hipwood - Hipwood kicked 4.3 last week against Hawthorn, his best return in his short career but he should find the going tougher this week facing our superhero Reggie and his super sidekick Sir Dane.

Callum (Sinkers) Sinclair V Stef Martin
- The great revelation that is the 2018 version of Big Cal faces his biggest test of the season against the very in-form Stefan Martin.

Sydney Swans V Luke Hodge
- It is a very annoying fact that we haven't beaten Luke Hodge since 2012! When Hodge announced his retirement at the end of last season, Swans fans everywhere breathed a sigh of relief as it meant we stood a chance against the Hawks, then he struck a knife through our hearts by announcing he was moving to BrisVegas. Will we finally end the Hodge curse?

SUMMATION:
Whilst we have been a bit up and down so far this year, we've logged some pretty impressive wins, particularly on the road, with our boys running 100% so far. The Lions win over the Hawks last week was their first victory against them since 2009, coincidentally that was the last season they beat us. With both teams logging impressive victories, I don't envisage any changes to either side this week unless Zac Jones doesn't come up after his head knock.
It's been 4 years since the Lions have won back to back games, but with our impressive on the road record so far this year, as long as we can overcome the Hodge hoodoo, I can't see them repeating that feat this week.
Swans by 28

Last edited:

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Jewelsbon you can add in your preview when it's ready by editing the post above.

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
Danger game.

Luckily the Lions got their win for the season out of the way on the weekend. Cheers Hawthorn!

Brisbane a much better side than their record suggests. Plus they have Hodge now who has had a svengali like control over us over the years.

No changes.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Luckily the Lions got their win for the season out of the way on the weekend. Cheers Hawthorn!

Brisbane a much better side than their record suggests. Plus they have Hodge now who has had a svengali like control over us over the years.
Only tangentially related, but from Titus O’Reily’s review of Lions/Hawks on the weekend:

“Watching this insipid performance was made worse for Hawks fans, given Luke Hodge was directing a lot of the traffic for the Lions and playing very well himself.

It was like wandering down the street hungover, unwashed and in your tracksuit pants, only to bump into your ex who looks terrific and is surrounded by a bunch of younger, more attractive friends.”

Hope Hodgey is on the gas for the entire week, though on reflection he probably plays better with a hangover.

Fagan is doing well with some very talented youngsters and has blended them in with some good players - Charlie Cameron is damned useful, Zorko is a jet.

Every game always strikes me as a danger match. The last time I felt truly optimistic was Rd.6 last year v the Carlton Filth. We know how that finished.

The Brions are no Carlton filth. They are a pretty good team and will win some more games this year. But not in Round 10.

I am really looking forward to see our youngsters stack up against their kids.

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
3 players who need a game or three in the NEAFL
Rohan
Hanners
Jack

Brissie has been playing pretty well considering they are 1-8 but we could still make some changes and see how it rolls

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the one hand, Hodge...

But on the other, Brisbane just had a huge win and those kinds of monumental victories seem to leave young teams rather flat the following week. Hoping that holds true... surely the Lions can’t go from 0-8 to 2-8 in a fortnight :huh:

Out: Rohan
In: A. Stretcher

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Jewelsbon you can add in your preview when it's ready by editing the post above.

Hey that's a neat trick........posting in someone else's name. imagine the fun you could create with that. You could create an abusive argument between two posters both of whom are you in their guise and without them even knowing. Or you could go on another board and heavily troll them and have someone else get the blame.

How do you sign up for this moderator stuff?

Sep 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Brisbane were allowed to stroll down the centre of the ground all afternoon against the PissnPoo, they seemed to neither have the speed nor the willingness to counter Brisbane's run and carry off halfback.

I don't think the Swans will be as accomodating, and will probably try and force them wide, then hit them on the counter attack down the guts. My feeling is the game will look completely different to the Brions win last week. And hopefully we will take home the four points.

Brisbane were allowed to stroll down the centre of the ground all afternoon against the PissnPoo, they seemed to neither have the speed nor the willingness to counter Brisbane's run and carry off halfback.

I don't think the Swans will be as accomodating, and will probably try and force them wide, then hit them on the counter attack down the guts. My feeling is the game will look completely different to the Brions win last week. And hopefully we will take home the four points.
I noticed during the Freo game how often Sydney allowed the Dockers an easy short kick-out in order to force them on to one side of the field, then choked up the space for that next kick. Pretty simple tactic but it worked very well.

Bloody

Club Legend
Sep 11, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Up until half time against Freo I would’ve had Papley out for Fox as his fumbling wasted his limited chances but he took them in second half. Won’t be upset if we go unchanged but would like to hear from ressie watchers who impressed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longmire teases an Aliir recall
It wasn’t lost on Longmire that the Hawks had few answers for the Lions’ speed and aerial superiority, and he pondered whether to change up the fifth-placed Swans’ structure to accommodate.

“Maybe (bring in) Aliir, Harry Marsh, those guys,” he said.

“Harry Marsh has been in really good form. (Aliir) has been going okay, playing at a reasonable level.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/5e8ddd9544f48224bcf2714809d1934a

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back