Preview Round 10, 2019 - Fremantle vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your right in we all get frustrated at times over selections and why our favoured players are not selected and we don't always understand what the coaches are doing. I can only offer this from you comment "playing Rayner’s role" the key is not the player's name but the word "role". I think we have a very set structure and we hear it over and over players talking about playing their 'role'. I think players in the 2's are being groomed to play a role in 1's and it seems pretty specific. The player in the 2's then has to be offering greater options than the player in the 1's for them to replace. Keays is playing as a small forward, he is behind McArthy and Charlie. I'd say Wooller is the only one playing the Rayner role. We have seen when players come into the 1's they come into a role they have been playing in the 2's (Answerth, Lester, Hinge). Cuts and Taylor, Alison and to some extent Tom Berry all seem to be playing the outside wing role. I don't think any players have their papers marked but players are in defined role sitting behind others and are not getting a go elsewhere in other roles. Its a sound depth strategy to keep the overall team structure but your right frustrating to supporters who want to see some others coming through.

If that is the line of thinking - then that is flawed IMO. Especially the way the game is played these days.

The only positions that players should have a designated role should be the ones where there is a physical size requirement - e.g Ruckmen, CHF/CHB, FF/FB

Every other position - the Half Forward Flanks, Back Pockets, Wings, Rovers, Midfielders should be fluid and the skills / fitness required for these positions should be demanded of all players vying for these positions.

This sets a higher standard, allows the team to have greater flexibility and allows the team to cover for injuries and adapt better to on opponent matchups.
It probably allows the players to understand different roles better too and get different perspectives to develop their skills.

So if Rayner's not playing his half-forward role up to standard and his fitness is not up to standard to play on the wing/midfield - then he needs to go back to the 2's to develop it and he will be welcomed back with open arms.

In the meantime, someone like Cutler deserves a crack in that position.

With a sunday twilight game.
Wouldn't be surprised seeing cutler come in next week with the short turn around.
Ins next week could be
Berry, mathieson, cutler.
Outs..... no flipping idea. But maybe some of the debutants come out for a break?
Id like to see a few switches for the hawks game with the long travel back especially with the team most likely catching the red eye back.

Incorrect. Having him in form and in the seniors is a priority for Cutler.
That goes without saying. As I said, he needs to want it. It is also in the clubs best interests to have all on field employees reaching their full potential. That’s the way it works in the corporate and professional sporting world. If people at the club are of the view that at aged 24 Cutler has reached his potential, then that’s that. Delist him at the end of the year and we will all move on. That said, Cutler would be a certainty to get picked up in the draft. On the other hand, if the club believes he can improve and contribute to the senior team, then every principle of personnel management says that he should be managed and coached and developed to and encouraged to realise his talent. In my work place, they call it Professional Development. It makes for more successful organisations.

After seeing my boy BASTINAC absolutely dominate the NEAFL I'll be sad if our midfielders don't step up today.

Reckon basti could have helped.

Cutler had another good game as well. Plenty of players officially on notice in the ones

Agree with most regarding Cam Rayner being due for a spell in the 2s, but the wankfest around Cutler is pretty tiresome. The guy averages the 5th fewest Pressure Acts (7.7) out of all midfielders, and the fewest Pressure Acts in Defence (1.7) out of all midfielders. Not good for a hard running wingman. If that's not a fair indicator that the coaches want him to work on something, then I don't what is. Glad we're not carrying blokes who don't run both ways anymore.

After seeing my boy BASTINAC absolutely dominate the NEAFL I'll be sad if our midfielders don't step up today.

Reckon basti could have helped.

Cutler had another good game as well. Plenty of players officially on notice in the ones
There are probably 6 or 7 players in the twos who look too good to be playing twos against the opposition they're playing against.

But we do have some adequate replacements given the relatively light injury issues we've had this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cutler is out of Contract at the end of the year, Rayner has 2 yrs left after this year, so in answer to your question, NO.
I would 🤔
Fair enough. Rayner is younger too.
But Rayner is clearly underperforming at HFF.

Why not give someone else an opportunity? Cutler certainly has talent and the tools to flourish in that position - so why not give him an opportunity?
If he goes at the end of the year - having spent most of his time in the reserves - then I think that will be a real shame.
Whereas if we give an opportunity elsewhere - at least we can say we tried to get the best out of him.

At his best Cutler reminds me of Tim Notting. Whatever his ‘issues’ are, it’s up to the club to help him work through them. Having him in form and in the Seniors has to be a priority for the club.

I think it's quite clear it's not a priority. Rightly or wrongly he is being held to some pretty specific standards that are not being met. I, like a few others on here think the club is getting this one wrong.

When you consider we are getting games into guys like Hinge and Answerth and carrying Rayner through a tough spell it makes it pretty clear the club is all but done with Cutler. I understand he has been given a good run over the years. But it's not like he has been carried, he has played some very good football.

I think it's important to remember that even very successful people are still fallible. Fagan and co are getting a lot right, but that doesn't mean every decision they make is the right one. I see this a lot on this site. For example Clarko can do no wrong. Every move he makes must be the right one because..... Clarko. On the flip side we have crazy Vossy and crazy Leppa. Every move they ever made must have been the wrong one because they were crazy. The truth is somewhere in the middle. Guys like Clarko and currently Fagan are getting lots right, but that doesn't mean they aren't or won't make mistakes.

Poor Cutler he's just about the most over analysed player I've ever seen.
I think people are invested in the Cutler conversation because they can see the massive upside for the club if he gets it right. Same goes for Rayner conversation actually. Rayner has the ability to be an absolute champion, but he’s not really delivering at the minute. I don’t think people who are saying Cutler doesn’t deserve to be in the Seniors or Rayner has had too many chances are hating on them. They just recognise that something needs to change and they hope that it does. As far as Rayner goes, this season Fagan is putting senior games into him like a gambler on a losing streak pumping coins into a poker machine. Hoping desperately that he hits a jackpot and everything comes good. I hope it does, but there have to be limits to how much you wager.

I said this before I will say it again.. I think Team Fagan is developing a side and has a plan to develop our young talent. The plan probably did not have us 6-3 and a chance for finals. Prob looked at this still being a development year and next year top 8.

Seems he trying to balance stable team with development. Talls seem set so you have 4 spots up each week
So we have 6 older players who we know what we get Lester, Basti, Bundy, Taylor, N Robbo and Cutler.
Against the next gen younger players like Bailey, Hinge, Answerth who got games and others in the mix we like to play sometime this year Starc (now back), Allison, Keays, C Lyons, Joyce, E Smith (Injured), Wooler and T Berry.

yes I agree it seems McStay, Witho and Rayner have get out of jail cards if they mow his lawn :)
Cameron, McCarthy, Lyons and Big O been in sights here to drop as well. Although all played more good then bad games. Yes I am not big on 2 rucks personally :)

I just keep thinking last time we made finals, Voss then went out and got Fev and the rest. Did not invest in youth.
The short term gain only lasted a few rounds.
If you look at our forward line it has a lot of players who if they fire at once we kill another team.
Backline stable although we get scored against. Mids do not press up as much as other team. Half back runner not set as yet as well
This is where we still have holes and you see we rotating players through

I say the rest of the team is where Fagan wants it

At training. Nick Robertson is also here, presume he's the travelling emergency. McStay did not miss a single set shot in the warm up
Normal fare, applies to nearly every player that has ever played the game, set shots are like short puts in golf, it's all in the mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back