Preview Round 10, 2019: St.Kilda v Carlton - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 26th May, 3:20PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 75 91.5%
  • Blues

Votes: 7 8.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I think so too. He is a big strong unit.
Would prefer to see him get his own football and see what damage he could do instead of just tagging.
He really flourished in the run with role towards the end of last season, but saying that i think its time we start asking him to play more attacking even if its in patches of quarters. We looked like we went too defensive in the midfield in that last quarter against Collingwood and they were beating us to the ball

Out: Mckenzie (omitted), Philips (concussion), Paton (injured)

In: Clark, Hind (play half back), Longer (be the aggressively ruck, and bulldoze way through any Carlton mid)

Marshall to rotate between CHF and Ruck. Bruce to stay at FF.

Hope this will make the side more balanced..
Whats wrong with Paton ?
Phillips played out the game so should be fine
Dmac, coaches seem to rate him so don't see him getting dropped

As mentioned above, Kent has also kicked a decent amount of the full so he is having multiple shots every week.

Compared to our other forwards

Acres - 4.2 with 7 goal assists (8 games)
Long - 5.1 with 3 goal assists (6 games)
Parker - 9.1 with 2 goal assists (9 game)

Kent's numbers may be seem ordinary but compared to the others he is playing with, he is providing more on the scoreboard from him own scoring and from setting up other players. If anyone is going to be dropped, the numbers show that it should be someone else from the forward line.

He's often the only stay at home forward though, most of the others roam along way from goal.

Out: Mckenzie (omitted), Philips (concussion), Paton (injured)

In: Clark, Hind (play half back), Longer (be the aggressively ruck, and bulldoze his way past Carlton mids, clearing way for Dunstan/Ross)

Marshall to rotate between CHF and Ruck. Bruce to stay at FF.

Hope this will make the side more balanced..

I liked it leave DMAC in for Longer is my suggestion.

He's often the only stay at home forward though, most of the others roam along way from goal.
I'd give you Acres roams up the field but Parker and Long spend most of their time inside 50. Kent has been linking up on the wing a lot as the season has gone on, which probably explains why he has more goal assists than the others.

But the point remains - if you look at the stats of who is our kicking goals and who is setting them up, others should be dropped before Kent.

If we win this are finals still possible and who else would we have to beat

I have us beating: Carl, Port, Suns, Brisbane, North, Dogs, Melb, FRE, Carl, Syd

Losing to: Rich, Geel, Ade

That leaves us at 13-9 and a huge chance at finals.

Last edited:
If we win this are finals still possible and who else would we have to beat
Finals are still a possibility. Being 5-5 after 10 rounds would be pretty decent, especially since we don't play Pies, Gws and WC again.
Generally 12 wins for a chance at finals but 13 wins to guarantee them so we would need to win 8 more.

Port
GC
Brisbane
Richmond
North
Geelong
Dogs
Melbourne
Adelaide
Freo
Carlton
Sydney

Winning 8 of those isn't out of the realm of possibility.
Really highlights the importance of this game.

Finals are still a possibility. Being 5-5 after 10 rounds would be pretty decent, especially since we don't play Pies, Gws and WC again.
Generally 12 wins for a chance at finals but 13 wins to guarantee them so we would need to win 8 more.

Port
GC
Brisbane
Richmond
North
Geelong
Dogs
Melbourne
Adelaide
Freo
Carlton
Sydney

Winning 8 of those isn't out of the realm of possibility.
Really highlights the importance of this game.

I think we can win 10, meaning we slide into finals.

What does that even mean?
7 Impressive Health Benefits of Yogurt
  • It's Rich in Important Nutrients. Yogurt contains some of nearly every nutrient that your body needs. ...
  • It's High in Protein. ...
  • Some Varieties May Benefit Digestive Health. ...
  • It May Strengthen Your Immune System. ...
  • It May Protect Against Osteoporosis. ...
  • It May Benefit Heart Health. ...
  • It May Promote Weight Management.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Hannebery can get back playing he is going to help our midfield tremendously even if he doesn't play at his best.
It will also help Hunter Clark in his development due to Hannebery's ability to open play up from stoppages and in open play.
This will have a massive roll on effect.
The problem then is who is being moved to slot both of them in , which is really a good problem to have.
If only Steven could come back.

We need to beat Carlton then head to China and roll Port which will not be impossible , then comes the bye and we play Gold Coast again and by this time Hannebery and Geary could be up and running which will bring added confidence back into the squad.

If we can get to the finals with a fit Carlisle as well - watch out we could cause a few problems.

I'm kind of less worried about our back line TBH. There seems to be a few options and with Geary and Webster to return its our least weakest line.

Would lllllove to see Battle and Lonie back in the forward line along with Bruce, Members, Young and Parker.

Lonie, Young and Parker should be able to hold it in. Lonie to provide a couple of goals along with Battle.

Isn't it about time we identified that Marshall needs a little help in the ruck? Although brave against Grundy, by the 4th quarter he was struggling and I think this was significant with Collingwood able to run all over us in the last quarter. Grundy is arguably the best ruckman in the competition and last week we were asking a young and inexperienced ruckman in Marshall to compete against him virtually on his own. We should not have done this.

I would drop McKenzie for Longer which will give us more height and strength around the ground. Longer's form with Sandringham of late has been sound and it's about time we tried two rucks instead of only the one. Why do we insist on playing only the one ruckman all the time? I think it's wrong.

Long in for mine...

Got something about him I love, he's a good player a little down in the seniors but backing him to come good
Long is highly skilled but as you know he has to learn to play 4 quarters and to me he should dominate in the 2s before coming back and I rate him higher than the other small forwards , but he has to show the hunger - has he been hampered by giving away that silly free kick's in what ever round it was when he was criticized for it?

anyway I want him back because he can kick , so I hope he finds the form required

Long is highly skilled but as you know he has to learn to play 4 quarters and to me he should dominate in the 2s before coming back and I rate him higher than the other small forwards , but he has to show the hunger - has he been hampered by giving away that silly free kick's in what ever round it was when he was criticized for it?

anyway I want him back because he can kick , so I hope he finds the form required

You would think like Kent playing against the Dees, Long will want to get up for this match. With his connection to the jumper he's going to be keen to put on a show. The three of him Parker and Young should put plenty of pressure on the Blues defence and will be fun to watch.

Our half backs need to provide more run and carry than what they currently do.

If you like at the best teams, they have 2 or 3 half backs that easily rack up over 20+ touches per game.

We can only count on Savage getting those numbers with the others in Paton, McKenzie, Webster around the 15 mark which simply isnt good enough.

I think a lot of our ball movement is down to our half backs not getting involved enough in the the play or gut running hard enough to create an option and unbalance the other teams zone defence.

This week I'd like to see Hind and Webster come in to replace Paton and Mckenzie. Also Phillips to miss as we have enough players that can play wing in Newnes, Sinclair, Billings, etc.

Ins: Webster, Hind, Clark
Out: Paton, Mckenzie, Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back