Preview Round 10, 2019: St.Kilda v Carlton - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 26th May, 3:20PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 75 91.5%
  • Blues

Votes: 7 8.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple of hard truths...

- if White was good enough he'd be playing, has had enough time.. clearly not doing enough

- Acres is too soft to play inside mid and not skilled enough to play outside mid, hence he's playing hff. If he toughened up a bit he'd be a center square gun.

- If Hunter was more versatile he'd be in the side but he's midfield or bust, I for one would rather him play 100mins midfield at VFL than 20 at AFL and rotting on a hff

- Long is in because at the very least he's a ruthless campaigner who completely buys in to the "build the pressure" mantra of the playing group, suggesting he's in because he's aboriginal is embarrassing imo

This is some decisive stuff right now, for those arguing for White who do you see him replacing? Dmac had some turnovers but played his role I thought.
We lost last week in the midfield not the backline. So I’m interested who comes out for this guy?
Dmac for mine. Love the guys endeavour and speed but he makes shocking decisions and his execution is poor.
I thought we were all about rewarding form? White has been playing well in the VFL, better than others such as Paton, Phillips & Young who still get a game.
Plus white is an excellent kick, which is something we definitely need.

This is some decisive stuff right now, for those arguing for White who do you see him replacing? Dmac had some turnovers but played his role I thought.
We lost last week in the midfield not the backline. So I’m interested who comes out for this guy?
Yep have lost all our games in the midfield, that’s why I would have Clark in before Long
Anyhow let’s lets hope Long has a blinder

Whats that comparison trying to prove? One was a small forward and the other a half back.
If anything, it shows how underwhelming White's stats are for someone who had the opportunity to get easy ball when they don't appear any better than a small forwards.

Sincs was more a mobile high half forward when he played up front. He was never a camp at home forward player. It shows one guy gets selected every week while one gets similar stats and gets dropped first. There doesn't seem to be consistent performance standards. Brandon is usually a tight checking defender not a loose man in defence like you are trying to make out.

Yep have lost all our games in the midfield, that’s why I would have Clark in before Long
Anyhow let’s lets hope Long has a blinder

They don't seem to be prepared to trust Clark in the midfield yet.

Haha that is a classic. Seems like White is the new Tommy Lee.
Tom ledger disagrees...

I love how every year, fans pick a and convince themselves he's being hard done by just so they can get angry at the club.

Even funnier is how a kid like Dmac is scapegoated despite it playing a handful of games, just so said hard done by player can get a game.

OK so by giving me this example you're saying that if Brandon goes to another club he will flourish. Sure, that could be the case, although it's very very unlikely that ever happens. I can't remember anyone that Richardson has delisted in the time he has been here that has gone to another team and had an impact.

That's probably something to ask the coaching group. And I doubt it's only because he is out of shape, like I've said many times before. It's a combination of a lot of things, and on top of that he is behind players who play his position.

Yes I know. Does that not make him best 22? Can players have bad games? And I am not defending his selection. If you read back what I wrote I said I can see both sides of the argument. Yes I want selection integrity but I can also see that a game meaning so much significance to him and his family might spark him to have a ripper. I'm not an advocate for anyone at the club I just see it for what it is.

You kind of answered your own question mate! There's players that play his position that are ahead of him and because of a poor base to start the season with he probably doesn't have the endurance to go all game. But I can agree with most of what you said. Whitey has some good attributes that we need right now but does he do it consistently enough? Will he cement a spot in what many think is an average team? Again I think if he were good enough he would be playing. Richardson needs to win a final this year, it would be silly for him to not play his best players.

Mate all I am saying every club have different Coaching philosophy on the game , players etc.

I have a different one to Richo , not saying I am right he is wrong .

Been fortunate to listen to the guys like Sheedy , Clarkson , Matthews , Beveridge they constantly evolved .

Example never been a fan of Malthouse either if that helps.

Unfortunately never got to hear Chris Scott other than in the media or Ross the Boss ( Bubble )

Sincs was more a mobile high half forward when he played up front. He was never a camp at home forward player. It shows one guy gets selected every week while one gets similar stats and gets dropped first. There doesn't seem to be consistent performance standards. Brandon is usually a tight checking defender not a loose man in defence like you are trying to make out.
But Sinclair did get dropped multiple times in his second year - only played 9 games that year. Didn't consistently have a spot in the best 22 until he went to the wing and even then, got dropped last year for not performing consistently enough.

White's stats were poor for his position, so he got dropped just like Sinclair did. Difference is that Sinclair has worked extremely hard - during the off season, during preseason, in every training session - to earn his spot back and show he can contribute weekly and in multiple positions. The same can't be said about White.

Couple of hard truths...

- if White was good enough he'd be playing, has had enough time.. clearly not doing enough

- Acres is too soft to play inside mid and not skilled enough to play outside mid, hence he's playing hff. If he toughened up a bit he'd be a center square gun.

- If Hunter was more versatile he'd be in the side but he's midfield or bust, I for one would rather him play 100mins midfield at VFL than 20 at AFL and rotting on a hff

- Long is in because at the very least he's a ruthless campaigner who completely buys in to the "build the pressure" mantra of the playing group, suggesting he's in because he's aboriginal is embarrassing imo

I get the idea but realistically there is a lot more to it than all of that. A lot comes down to who the football department rate highest and what attributes they rate. Richo likes his meat and potatoes and Blake Acres is some Chiffonade of yak with with beetle-nut leaf, tossed in wild dandelion sprouts with a miniature flower garnish. He loved Mav and Newnes because they may not have been flash but you know even a little burnt, a barbecued chop is pretty safe.

Also members get a complimentary ticket to bring a friend along to the game on Sunday. Probably already received the e-mail for it but just an FYI anyway.

Club is expecting a big crowd. Similar to 2017 (I think) when 45,000 turned up and a good portion had to wait outside trying to get in and missed the first quarter.

I'd try and get there early if you can.

But Sinclair did get dropped multiple times in his second year - only played 9 games that year. Didn't consistently have a spot in the best 22 until he went to the wing and even then, got dropped last year for not performing consistently enough.

White's stats were poor for his position, so he got dropped just like Sinclair did. Difference is that Sinclair has worked extremely hard - during the off season, during preseason, in every training session - to earn his spot back and show he can contribute weekly and in multiple positions. The same can't be said about White.

His last game he got 20 possessions and 7 marks. The would be better than most of our accountable defenders. He's not Webster or Savage with licence to break away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In every club you will have players that don't get a crack despite being AFL standard.

Always has been always will be.

40 into 22 doesn't go.

If Brandon plays, there will be another kid behind him ready to play but missing out.

Then we move on to that kid.

Players will leave and do well at another club. Happens all the time.

Many of them tread water and get delayed again for various reasons.

It's up to the club to make the right decision.

As pointed put by others, we haven't stuffed that up in recent times.

Retain and invest in the core group that exhibits the ingredients to want success, by their actions not their words, and let the test fight it out and earn their spot on the list.

In my book, players who sook because they can't get a game or don't do the team thing in terms of standards need to look at themselves first and be honest.

Are they doing everything they can?

Last edited:
His last game he got 20 possessions and 7 marks. The would be better than most of our accountable defenders. He's not Webster or Savage with licence to break away.
I don't remember enough about that game to know whether his stats tell the whole story. How did his opponent go?

Even so, its been close to a full season since then. He didn't do anything to earn his spot back into the side in the back half of last season despite most of our defence going down with injuries. He still came back to pre season in poor condition. He has had many opportunities but hasn't taken them.

Yes, he has been playing well down at Sandy but this conspiracy that Richo is purposely not playing him because of some personal vendetta is ridiculous. If he keeps performing, he will get a chance to prove himself again but he will just need to wait his time out.

In every club you will have players that don't get a crack despite being AFL standard.

Always has been always will be.

40 into 22 doesn't go.

If Brandon plays, there will be another kid behind him ready to play but missing out.

Then we move on to that kid.

Players will leave and do well at another club. Happens all the time.

Many of them tread water and get delayed again for various reasons.

It's up to the club to make the right decision.

As pointed put by others, we haven't stuffed that up in recent times.

Retain and invest in the core group that exhibits the ingredients to want success, by their actions not their words, and let the test fight it out and earn their spot on the list.

In my book, Ayers who sook because they can't get a game or don't do the team thing in terms of standards need to look at themselves first and be honest.

Are they doing everything they can?

Yeah, I am a fan of White. That drawn game he played against GWS last year was awesome just for his physicality. He absolutely smashed in.

BUT, if the entire club made a pledge to 'do something' about last year and work hard in the off season to come back in great shape and run PB's etc, and White didnt bother, then i have no sympathy. The reason is, at the end of this year, they are going to ask the 45 players to do it again and they need to know that when they commit, that they are ALL in.

That said, I hope gets his chance soon.

I think the thing with Paton is he gets himself score involvements - I'm probably drawing a long bow here, but we need more of this. I'm nonplussed with White's inclusion/exclusion. But as Joop said above - if anyone were to come out it'd be Dmac for mine. Skill errors in the backhalf are confidence killers. Saying that the only way for him to improve is to make mistakes and learn from them... Yeah I wouldn't want to be a selector for love nor money.

My understanding is that for a while there at least, we felt we didn't have the resources to be able to give the necessary support that indigenous talent from interstate in particular would usually or often require.
Thanks for that Aussie. It always worried me why we went for quite a long time without selecting an indig player. If that was the reason it makes a lot of sense.

I think the thing with Paton is he gets himself score involvements - I'm probably drawing a long bow here, but we need more of this. I'm nonplussed with White's inclusion/exclusion. But as Joop said above - if anyone were to come out it'd be Dmac for mine. Skill errors in the backhalf are confidence killers. Saying that the only way for him to improve is to make mistakes and learn from them... Yeah I wouldn't want to be a selector for love nor money.

Nah, I'm with you. Paton has been good. My point is that Paton was omitted, therefore, we don't need to exclude anyone else to bring White in. Instead, they went with Long.

I’ve been a pretty big advocate for McKenzie over the last 12 or so months but I’m comfortable putting him in the bog average category & the type we need to upgrade to become a finals team.

White looks to have more natural talent & potential than McKenzie. It’s up to White to realise the potential & for the coaches to help him grow into the player we need him to become. Otherwise it’s skilled & talented bloke that struggles with discipline verse the unskilled bloke that adheres to team structures & gives 110%.

I’d like to see the club change tact from tough love & back White in. I reckon there’s a lot of untapped potential with the kid & we need to give him every opportunity to realise it even if it effects selection integrity. Thinking longer term here.

Whites last game was against west coast.

20 disp 5 marks.

Got dropped and didnt come back in.

I don't remember enough about that game to know whether his stats tell the whole story. How did his opponent go?

Even so, its been close to a full season since then. He didn't do anything to earn his spot back into the side in the back half of last season despite most of our defence going down with injuries. He still came back to pre season in poor condition. He has had many opportunities but hasn't taken them.

Yes, he has been playing well down at Sandy but this conspiracy that Richo is purposely not playing him because of some personal vendetta is ridiculous. If he keeps performing, he will get a chance to prove himself again but he will just need to wait his time out.

I got friendly enough with an ex player for him to bag Richo as someone who plays favourites and he was with a few other fringe players who all agreed with it. He reckons he stamps papers and bullshits the players along. If you had already worked out that no matter what you did, you’d be overlooked for an underperforming player you’d hardly smash yourself. I reckon Brando is playing well in the hope of another club giving him a minch like lifeline.

Couple of hard truths...

Couple of hard truths here.

- White is good enough, the games that he has played have been no worse than D-Macs in the same position. I can recall some absolute howlers from McKenzie, yet is picked before white due to being Richo's type of player.

- Acres has not settled into a position for the last 3 years. Has been used across the half back line, in the midfield, on the wing, in the ruck, half forward line, forward pocket and even full forward. I would be willing to bet my bottom dollar if if persisted with Acres as a genuine on ball players for the last 3 years that he would be one of our bests mids now. He has never been given a run of 6 or 7 games as a genuine mid like other promising youngsters from different clubs. There is a reason why we have not managed to develop a A Grade Midfielder since i can recall because we dont persist with players that show massive upaside but lack the Richo type player.

- Clark doesn't need to be versatile, we lack genuine mids and we wants to turn him into another player to play 6 positions like the rest of the team??? Put him in the guts and persist with him. Look at the dogs and Bailey Smith, his first 3 games were absolute shockers, but the coach persisted with him and now he is flying. Our coaching panel are just not very good at developing elite talent. If we had Smith, he would have been in the VFL all season.

- With regards to Long, i love him as a player and what he brings to the side and how he might be able to develop. HOWEVER if you saw him play the last 2 games for us 5 disposals and 3 disposals respectively is absolutely pathetic when the ball goes inside the 50 a number of times. If you cant see why he was selected THIS week then i cant help you. A back pocket player was even replaced for him with LONG for indigenous round.

Those are the cold hard truths my friends.

I’ve been a pretty big advocate for McKenzie over the last 12 or so months but I’m comfortable putting him in the bog average category & the type we need to upgrade to become a finals team.

White looks to have more natural talent & potential than McKenzie. It’s up to White to realise the potential & for the coaches to help him grow into the player we need him to become. Otherwise it’s skilled & talented bloke that struggles with discipline verse the unskilled bloke that adheres to team structures & gives 110%.

I’d like to see the club change tact from tough love & back White in. I reckon there’s a lot of untapped potential with the kid & we need to give him every opportunity to realise it even if it effects selection integrity. Thinking longer term here.

Hopefully he gets a go like Young and grabs it. According to Plugger, Young was being punished for being too confident. I hope Brando can make himself undroppable. The Dogs did well playing Naughton and Bailey Smith until they got good. We’d have them both at Sandy having the joy strangled out of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back