Preview Round 10, 2019: St.Kilda v Carlton - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 26th May, 3:20PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 75 91.5%
  • Blues

Votes: 7 8.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hello Sainters, I come in peace.

The last few times we have played, the Saints have absolutely destroyed Carlton. Pure speed, outside run, overlap, and quick delivery I50, with guys like Membrey, Bruce and Savage taking full advantage.

You've had a good start to the season, although I haven't watched much of your matches. What's the gameplan for you guys this year? What's changed? What's working? What isn't? I could list the same for us, but it's a bit lopsided....

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Regards, Curious in Carlton...
You will hard to beat , a young team like Carlton will always play hot and cold , you can't expect Walsh , Pepper , McKay , Weitering , Dow ,
Charlie Curnow , O'Brian to be killing the pig until they get 3 or 4 seasons under there belt and once they do watch out under the leadership of your super star Cripps.

Blues will be a huge threat to us this week.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
You will hard to beat , a young team like Carlton will always play hot and cold , you can't expect Walsh , Pepper , McKay , Weitering , Dow ,
Charlie Curnow , O'Brian to be killing the pig until they get 3 or 4 seasons under there belt and once they do watch out under the leadership of your super star Cripps.

Did you type that with a straight face?

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Did you type that with a straight face?
VDS I do expect us to win well but we have to bring our A game.

I feel for Carlton , they have very good talent , but like us we have to wait until the guys mature - Hunter Clark , King , Bytel , Clavarino , Coffield , Paton etc.

People just expect the guys to start playing AFL and blitz it - very few do.
Also some of the guys who you spend a lot of time to develop don't go on to be the play as you expect them to do like McCartin , Goddard and the likes.

All I want this week is to win well and kick over 100pts

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda

I feel for Carlton , they have very good talent , but like us we have to wait until the guys mature - Hunter Clark , King , Bytel , Clavarino , Coffield , Paton etc.

Also some of the guys who you spend a lot of time to develop don't go on to be the play as you expect them to do like McCartin , Goddard and the likes.

Pulling your leg...

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton

Yeah it's why we've had patches of really good footy this year but also patches where we get obliterated. We were beating Collingwood by 11 points with 7 minutes to go in round 8 which was a good effort...and then they kicked 5 goals in the last 7 minutes...

With some of the injuries we have, we're playing something like 13 guys who are 22 and under and not many games played.

We should be bolstered by the return of Jones, Plowman and Simpson this week to replace Casboult (makeshift defender), Macreadie and Stocker (two young, inexperienced kids).

Anyone in line for a return to the team this week for the Saints?

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah it's why we've had patches of really good footy this year but also patches where we get obliterated. We were beating Collingwood by 11 points with 7 minutes to go in round 8 which was a good effort...and then they kicked 5 goals in the last 7 minutes...

With some of the injuries we have, we're playing something like 13 guys who are 22 and under and not many games played.

We should be bolstered by the return of Jones, Plowman and Simpson this week to replace Casboult (makeshift defender), Macreadie and Stocker (two young, inexperienced kids).

We might make one or 2 changes but I don't expect getting any big names back - we are sweating on getting Steven , Hannebery , Carlisle , Geary and Lonie back in the back half of the season.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC

We've got the "Basmati for Superhero aliases" rotation this week:

In: Long White Rice
Out: Parker Blake* Kent

*yes Blake Acres, but that would have ****ed the joke up, and it was a stretch already.

We've got the "Basmati for Superhero aliases" rotation this week:

In: Long White Rice
Out: Parker Blake* Kent

*yes Blake Acres, but that would have ****** the joke up, and it was a stretch already.

Your joke started out special, but then you fried it ;)

Murphy likely to miss with Rib injury and Thomas suspended for abusing an umpire.

And Mummy gets off for causing the rib injury? Go figure.

Carlisle not playing so no chance of us upsetting Murph or is it his wife who is upset with us. Anyways

Can expect the Blues to bounce back against poor showing against GWS. The blowtorch is on them.

Keep our heads play the same tough football that we have done last 4 weeks and they will wilt. Win by 10 goals chance for us to be back in eight. We must break 100 points this week.

Saints 17 11 113 to Carl 8 8 56
Has a nice ring to it
So does the headline Carlton sack Brendan Bolton after listless showing against uncompromising Saints.

In Clarke and White for Parker managed and Philips omitted.

Go Saints

I don’t want Bolton sacked, they’ll come crawling to Ratts to beg him to come back.

I feel absolutely nothing for them.

How many first round draft picks have they got currently/ had recently in their club?

Saintbloke

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Need to get that forward line functioning- it's terrible. Parker has a lot of upside but may need a couple of games back in the VFL, Bruce is barely VFL standard. Although Battle is doing reasonably well in the backline- he is a marking forward and that's where we need him. We have little system forward of centre.

mad-saint-guy

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2005
Toronto, ON
AFL Club
St Kilda
My preferred changes

Out: Newnes, Kent, Paton
In: Hind, Clark, White

B: Marsh, Brown, Webster
HB: Savage, Wilkie, White
C: Acres, Steele, Billings
HF: Gresham, Bruce, Parker
F: Young, Battle, Membrey

Foll: Marshall, Ross, Dunstan
Int: Clark, Hind, McKenzie, Sinclair

Have to reward the sustained form of White and Hind. We need dynamic midfielders which Acres and Clark can be. Newnes had a good start to the year but over the last three weeks he's gone back to his 2018 form. Kent has played one good game out of nine. Parker close to getting dropped but I'd give him a crack against Carlton.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
honestly i dont see Carlton giving anymore than they are already giving ... they are trying hard as it is and much like us are found out by poor skills and a classier oppersition ... GWS beat up on them .. they were no match for the giants so the confidence took a hiding (hell we have been there) but over the entire season the blues have had a red hot go each week, look at the collingwood game.. they are almost mirroring us except we seem a lot harder and a lot more committed than they are ...
this week im not expecting a game for the ages , skills will be poor and it will come down to who works harder for longer .... the only way i see it being a blow out our way is if we replicate that dominant qtr we have played in every game this season and actually convert that into goals .. a 20 min domination where we stack on 6 or 7 goals and we will steam roll the game but im thinking it will be a lot closer ...
make no doubt about it Carlton see us as gettable and there is no doubt our boys would be having it dummed into them that being close in games against the top teams means nothing especially if you drop games against the teams who are below you... with the trip to China and then the GC away game and the lions coming up you could say we have rode out the seriosly hard part of the season and while we have lost the last 4 we have to show that those losses were just coming up against better teams not that we are in a form slump ...
my tip we will win by 30

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
My preferred changes

Out: Newnes, Kent, Paton
In: Hind, Clark, White

B: Marsh, Brown, Webster
HB: Savage, Wilkie, White
C: Acres, Steele, Billings
HF: Gresham, Bruce, Parker
F: Young, Battle, Membrey

Foll: Marshall, Ross, Dunstan
Int: Clark, Hind, McKenzie, Sinclair

Have to reward the sustained form of White and Hind. We need dynamic midfielders which Acres and Clark can be. Newnes had a good start to the year but over the last three weeks he's gone back to his 2018 form. Kent has played one good game out of nine. Parker close to getting dropped but I'd give him a crack against Carlton.
depends on what the expectation is for the players ... i think Kent has been ok for us .. his kicking has really let him down but he is getting to the right spots and is making a contest ... Parker brings a fear factor the opposing defenders cant just walk the ball out of defence they have to be mindful they have a bloke who is running hard to get them every time we need to remember as an 8 game player he has some flaws to work on and some polish to be applied but he is filling a need having Young in the side with him that turns that pressure in the forward line up again, for all of Lonies good points defenders didnt really worry about him when running out of defence Parker and young change that

Im not sure you saw the game on the weekend Trav but if thats what you call trying well anyway ,,, they had 14 first round picks in their team on the weekend you surly cant blame lack of skill for all the hidings they have copped , there are only a few blokes in that team that have a crack week after week and the rest need to take some responsibility IMO

MrFoster

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
15 possies between them though is the likely outcome.

No amount of pressure acts, screamers, tackles etc can make up for half your fwd line touching the ball 15 times in 2 hours.
A lot of this is due to our game style though.. our entries are either long bombs to a pack or marker by opposition spares.. so forwards have little opportunity to do their best work (one on one, leading), unless we stop this flood/zone tactic, and play one on one footy.. and actually hit up players on the lead..

MrFoster

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I want to bring up a couple players who have not really been talked about

Marshall played on the best ruck going around , was beaten but he had a good go 16 possessions and 11 contested - imagine if we had Longer , he might of won a some hit outs but would of been murdered around the ground.

Billings his 2nd quarter was sublime , he had at one stage in the quarter 14 possessions at 100% efficiency and if not for us kicking 7 points in the quarter and 2 complete shanks that totally missed everything we could of be up at that point by at least 4 or 5 goals.
He picked 29 possessions for the game and was in our best 3 on the ground.
They where raving about Sidebottoms 1st quarter with 12 touches , well Billings had a better 2nd quarter and remember our mids were playing a nullifying role or attempting too.
Also playing on a wing your at the mercy of your team being able to win possession and when they don't it makes it awfully hard for a wingman.

we are getting there
Maybe I’m biased.. but comparing Billings to Sidebottom is like comparing apples to oranges..
Sidebottom had 11 scoring involvements, 1 assist (billings has 5 and 2).. but Sidebottom’s impact was huge, his disposals were clean and setting up numerous scoring chains, was responsible for them taking the ball easily from centre bounces and going forward with precision, even scored 2 goals himself..

Billing was stuck on his wing most of the time.. getting half of his possesions in the back half.. getting/doing short 15 metre side way or backward kicks under no pressure. when he was going forward, kicked directly to opposition under no pressure at least 2 times.. he is not the only one.. but comparing him with Sidebottom based on his possession number is misleading..

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Maybe I’m biased.. but comparing Billings to Sidebottom is like comparing apples to oranges..
Sidebottom had 11 scoring involvements, 1 assist (billings has 5 and 2).. but Sidebottom’s impact was huge, his disposals were clean and setting up numerous scoring chains, was responsible for them taking the ball easily from centre bounces and going forward with precision, even scored 2 goals himself..

Billing was stuck on his wing most of the time.. getting half of his possesions in the back half.. getting/doing short 15 metre side way or backward kicks under no pressure. when he was going forward, kicked directly to opposition under no pressure at least 2 times.. he is not the only one.. but comparing him with Sidebottom based on his possession number is misleading..
His 2nd quarter with 14 possessions at 100% was huge and by what they said on the radio he kept us in the game at that point , if we converted we would of been well on top , but once again we didn't.
Billings has a way to go to be at Sidebottom s level - but at least he showed what he can do.

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue
In nine games, we've only managed to kick more than 10 goals twice, so the forward line needs a re-think.

In : Webster, White, Coffield, Clark

Out : Bruce, Brown, Kent, Phillips

B Savage Marsh McKenzie
HB Coffield Wilkie White
C Webster Steele Billings
HF Gresham Membrey Acres
F Young Battle Parker

Fol Marshall Ross Dunstan

int Sinclair Clark Newnes Paton

15 possies between them though is the likely outcome.

No amount of pressure acts, screamers, tackles etc can make up for half your fwd line touching the ball 15 times in 2 hours.
And for those thinking sides would be sh1Ting themselves because we have parker ,long , young ect , thats just a myth made on here that has grown legs , there would not be one player in the AFL that could give a crap about any of them , As Stedier said maybe they should start getting it a bit more then side will be worried about them , ps young was ok on the weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back