Preview Round 10, 2019: St.Kilda v Carlton - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 26th May, 3:20PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 75 91.5%
  • Blues

Votes: 7 8.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here lies our problem we play with two contrasting styles/structures.
So last year we tried the Richmond style which was to move the ball super fast and just bomb it in hope the forwards can create a contest and if they do either mark it or let the fast small guys kick the goal. However for obvious reasons we weren't skilled enough to do this and we needed up turning the ball over.

However obviously this year we have slowed our ball movement right down. Wgilst helping out our defense it has allowed for opopsition teams to get numbers back, it also makes us predictable when we move the ball form defence to attack and we end up often still kicking it high to the top of the square to out numbered forwards relying on a contested mark from membrey/Bruce. We ares till structured with too many small for our slow movement though. We need another KPF asap, Obviously if Paddy was healthy he would be the perfect placement and untill King is ready our scoring will struggle. I think we either have to bring another backman and move Battle forward or use Marshall and bring in another ruck.
It doesn't seem to matter what style we adapt our skills simply aren't adequate at this standard either by hand or foot, so often the only way we can retain possession is to go backwards and even then...………..

In my opinion good opposition actually want us to play the way we do, they're happy for us to have multiple forward entries because we expose our weaknesses speed, skills and marking power then our forward press allows them to open up the other end of the ground.

Our skills are often too poor to hit up a leading forward let alone trying a slow accurate controlled entrance into the forward line ala Hawthorn. So we go long to a contest except that we're so slow and inaccurate with our entrance and because we only have Bruce as a power forward he can be double and triple teamed and thus negated or we push so far back down the ground defensively our transition leaves no one in the forward line to kick to; add a little subtle blocking by defenders and the second and third tall defender get a nice intercept mark, if the ball comes to ground and we get possession we're too often to be defensive side of the contest where we concede ground to retain said possession always back pedalling while conceding momentum and getting further from a scoring opportunity and getting more rushed at the same time.

Of course we have the added benefit of all this taking a lot of time which the opposition use to advantage by setting up to run the ball past the line of scrimmage and carry it far enough so that the next disposal clears our defensive line one kick behind the play which exposes our hf and ff line. We love having a spare body at the contest which of course leaves us outmanned on the turnover.

The bit I love is that we do this every week, we get about 20 scoring shots and look ok if we kick straight but how often does that happen. Then we're disappointed when we lose. If we can't hit a target on the chest by hand or foot, a target that is in front of us that is moving, it won't matter what game plan we have all we've got is trying hard.

I am disillusioned.

It will be interesting if Ben Long is picked this week due to indigenous round and the tops being designed by his sister etc.

He has been terrible the previous 2 games and didn't set the world on fire in the VFL. I think Long, Parker and Young would feed of each other and could really set the tone for the rest of the year.

They should be - Robbie Young averages more goals and tackles a game throughout his career than Cyril Rioli did.

Long, Young and Parker represent peak Richmond forward pressure in the making.
You must be taking the P155 or its time for your medication , you have based this on one game :rolleyes:

Or helmets that look like this
theblessing.jpg
BigFooty elite during their latest think-tank.

We are going to have to start this week to turn it all around then. We are a couple of losses from being with the **** clubs and a few wins from comparisons with the better squads.
Yar, I don't think our performance have been in a different grade to Gold Coast either, they have been very competitive in half their games, then soundly beaten in the others - like us. They have also managed to beat freo & the dogs and were only a point behind us after losing two players during our match.

We are going to have to start this week to turn it all around then. We are a couple of losses from being with the **** clubs and a few wins from comparisons with the better squads.
I'm not worried. For all this talk about Carlton wanting to make amends for their terrible game, our players will also want to make amends for our woeful last quarter. I expect us to come out fighting, ready to make a statement. Our players are aware that our season is still alive and finals are still a possibility and won't want to give that away due to a loss to the bottom side.

I'm not worried. For all this talk about Carlton wanting to make amends for their terrible game, our players will also want to make amends for our woeful last quarter. I expect us to come out fighting, ready to make a statement. Our players are aware that our season is still alive and finals are still a possibility and won't want to give that away due to a loss to the bottom side.

Carlton's have had a crisis meeting already after the Nth Mel game Cripps said "you will never see us play like that again" you should of let your teammates know about it not sure how many times you can keep having player driven meetings only goes so far before they have no impact on game day.

They will have a crack we as supporters will get frustrated by the game, we will all say this isn't going to plan,but in the end we will win & at this stage a 1 point win or a 60 point win is irrelevant as long as we get the 4 points.

Carlton's have had a crisis meeting already after the Nth Mel game Cripps said "you will never see us play like that again" you should of let your teammates know about it not sure how many times you can keep having player driven meetings only goes so far before they have no impact on game day.

They will have a crack we as supporters will get frustrated by the game, we will all say this isn't going to plan,but in the end we will win & at this stage a 1 point win or a 60 point win is irrelevant as long as we get the 4 points.
We need to come out and make it physically tough for them in the first quarter. Steele has to intimidate Cripps none stop all game and then expose Cripps by getting he ball himself . They will try to target one of our players, most likely Billings, and we need to respond instead of just letting it happen.

Whats in our favour is with all the pressure Carlton players, they will have played the game 100 times in their heads before the ball is even bound. And with so many young experienced players, that will be draining on them. If things start going against them, it will cause them to drop their hands with the 'oh no its happening again' mentality. It happened to us multiple times last year and this is our chance to do it to another team.

Basically, us and Carlton are two under-performing teams so far with coaches who don't really seem to have clue. Carlton got clobbered last week, and we have lost 4 in a row, and threw away a chance to win last week by going to sleep in the last quarter. It's a toss up who wins sadly.

Basically, us and Carlton are two under-performing teams so far with coaches who don't really seem to have clue. Carlton got clobbered last week, and we have lost 4 in a row, and threw away a chance to win last week by going to sleep in the last quarter. It's a toss up who wins sadly.
Not quite.

We haven't under performed this year, having beaten the other teams around our level. Our last month looks bad but you need to consider we just played 3 of the best teams in the competition and Adelaide, who are a very good team and had an incredibly accurate game. We went in to all those games with extremely inexperienced teams and it showed when the game got close. Also, our coaching has been very good this year. We haver entered every game with a clear game plan and structure which we has had us in threatening positions in each game - including large periods of time where we have prevented the opposition from scoring for large periods of time or have been able to withstand/turn the momentum of game. Unfortunately we haven't always been able to do it for 4 quarters or our execution in important moments has let us down, but that's not because our coaches 'have no clue'.

Not quite.

We haven't under performed this year, having beaten the other teams around our level. Our last month looks bad but you need to consider we just played 3 of the best teams in the competition and Adelaide, who are a very good team and had an incredibly accurate game. We went in to all those games with extremely inexperienced teams and it showed when the game got close. Also, our coaching has been very good this year. We haver entered every game with a clear game plan and structure which we has had us in threatening positions in each game - including large periods of time where we have prevented the opposition from scoring for large periods of time or have been able to withstand/turn the momentum of game. Unfortunately we haven't always been able to do it for 4 quarters or our execution in important moments has let us down, but that's not because our coaches 'have no clue'.
100%

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I would like to see is a improvement in our forward line - I feel we need another marking target - the small forwards are not giving us the goals required of them , having Kent , Parker , Young , Gresham running around for for pressure is well and good but they need goals.

I would make a call in the backline , having Wilkie , Battle , Marsh and Brown in the backline is a bit top heavy - move Battle to the forward line and let White get a chance or either drop Brown or Marsh.

Im not sure you saw the game on the weekend Trav but if thats what you call trying well anyway ,,, they had 14 first round picks in their team on the weekend you surly cant blame lack of skill for all the hidings they have copped , there are only a few blokes in that team that have a crack week after week and the rest need to take some responsibility IMO
last week they gave in after being crushed the other weeks they have been working well pushing collingwood the highlight

Not quite.

Sorry, not winning 4 in a row is losing. We make excuses season after season in true Saints fashion- looks like the tradition is continuing.

Sorry, not winning 4 in a row is losing. We make excuses season after season in true Saints fashion- looks like the tradition is continuing.
so you tipped us against WCE , GWS and Collingwood ? i know i didnt ... i felt at our best and with them having an off gme we could beat them but no way did i actually tip us ... thats not coaching thats coming up against 3 of the top 4

It will be interesting if Ben Long is picked this week due to indigenous round and the tops being designed by his sister etc.

He has been terrible the previous 2 games and didn't set the world on fire in the VFL. I think Long, Parker and Young would feed of each other and could really set the tone for the rest of the year.
I can never understand why we don't include Gresh in these scenarios.

Also this. I thought our game plan against WC was excellent, we managed to nullify McGovern's normal high influence and did well against Kennedy. It obviously worked against Collingwood as well (for three quarters anyway).

The issue is that those teams are far more talented and skilled than we are. The pies leaders just decided in the 4th that they were going to win and when you're talking guys like Pendles and Sidebottom (both future Hall of Famers) there's not much we could do tbh.

Im just mystified with all this Long , Parker , Young talk that they are going to scare defenders bla bal bla , Yes they all have ability i will say but until all of them can learn to play consistently there is no way you could consider playing all three of them in the same side knowing Two will most likely not turn up on the day.
Down the track it maybe possible to have all Three in the same side but for now anyone taking a punt on all Three together well good luck

Im just mystified with all this Long , Parker , Young talk that they are going to scare defenders bla bal bla , Yes they all have ability i will say but until all of them can learn to play consistently there is no way you could consider playing all three of them in the same side knowing Two will most likely not turn up on the day.
Down the track it maybe possible to have all Three in the same side but for now anyone taking a punt on all Three together well good luck
Probably not the most popular opinion but i thought Young was just fair pinched a goal off Bruce by running in from a free kick,his pressure was no better then Long or Parker 8 possies isn't a big deal, Kent gets 15 possie & we want him out am i missing something.

Probably not the most popular opinion but i thought Young was just fair pinched a goal off Bruce by running in from a free kick,his pressure was no better then Long or Parker 8 possies isn't a big deal, Kent gets 15 possie & we want him out am i missing something.
Kent isn't a yoghurt slinging, campaigner alpha dog like the others.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back