Autopsy Round 10, 2019: St.Kilda v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

The game should have been over at half time. The kicking at goal is a disgrace. Also injuries are killing us. players out there who aren't up to it. Young for example. Brown, Marsh. Luckily our backline systems are as good as any in the AFL. Our forward System is maybe close to Carlton as the worst in the AFL. And the mids are bloody slow without Jack. Unlike you though its a bloody good win for me. Never seen a bad win.
There are many an issue there that have been around where nothing has been done or the fix isnt working.

Theres nothing wrong with the win but Ive found after many to be frustrated as hell to see the same old served up. Its something that isnt world beating

Gresham, Membrey, Dunstan, Steele played a good game.

There were few passengers today as well and we made some silly mistakes.

I think it's time to bring in some players who are performing consistently in VFL. Give them some game time and then make a decision.

Despite the win that felt like a loss. Just a poxy game
That was Carltons for the taking.
Finals are still a fantasy while that level of skill is put on display.

We’ve got a few handy ins to come...

Last edited:
They set up expecting to lose and we set up going not to lose. Against the worst team in history. Shithouse.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Can you explain how we set up not to lose and what is wrong with that anyway. Kick straight and its an easy win. Shite winning? Talk about arrogant. We won 4 games last year.

I think it’s actually our game plan that’s the root cause of our scoring problem/inaccuracy.. play slow, switching for the sake of switching, long bomb down the line are the reasons why our forward line is always crowded, forwards out numbered..

When we do get the crumb from long bombs, it’s in a pack and the player with the ball are tackled right away, or take a low percentage snap in congestion.. basically low percentage play..

Do you notice when we play against good sides, they always have an open forward line and their key forwards can have a one on one contest with a small teammate roving the ball? That’s the key to efficient scoring.. simple maths, when number of defenders > flat feeted forwards, forwards are unlikely to win.. Richo is bad at maths it seems.

Last edited:
Im not sure we will have Dunstan next week which is a worry.

Long should get off.

Im also not sure why anyone is asking for Kent to be dropped.

Marsh had a good 3rd qtr apart from being caught holding the ball. But I think White is a better option.

Young isn’t up to it imho.

Steele Gresham our best. Ross Brown Battle Wilkie DMac Dunstan Marshall Membrey had very good games.

How many years on the list now. Lets just keep overating guys who will never be elite. I punt with my eyes and we dont have one elite player on our list. But hey we beat fitzroy lets celebrate.

2 years ago nobody on here wanted Gaff because he’s a seagull. He was older than both Billings and Gresham are now.

I think it’s actually our game plan that’s the root cause of our scoring problem/inaccuracy.. play slow, switching for the sake of switching, long bomb down the line are the reasons why our forward line is always crowded, forwards out numbered..

When we do get the crumb from long bombs, it’s in a pack and the player with the ball are tackled right away, or take a low percentage snap in congestion.. basically low percentage play..

Do you notice when we play against good sides, they always have an open forward line and their key forwards can have a one on one contest with a small teammate roving the ball? That’s the key to efficient scoring.. the way we play, we’re effective playing rugby scrum, rendering our forwards ineffective..
We were applauded for changing our game plan now its wrong. We could play like last year and get smashed. With the side we have in at the moment id say the game plan is working a treat.

There are many an issue there that have been around where nothing has been done or the fix isnt working.

Theres nothing wrong with the win but Ive found after many to be frustrated as hell to see the same old served up. Its something that isnt world beating

Well its actually not the same old. Playing completely different to last year. We won 4 games last year with Carlisle and Steven playing most games. This year we have won 5 with neither basically playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee Dunstan has been bloody good the past few weeks. He only played 85 mins & there was only 5 players across both teams that played less time than him. But still had 8 clearances (equal most on ground with Cripps) & 14 contested possessions (second only to Cripps). To go with that he had 20 disposals & a snag. Just imagine if he was playing as much as a few of the other mids, he’d just about be our best midfielder.
I thought Wilkie played another very good game and dunstan is playing pretty good football. It was as expected a pretty competitive game. I don’t think long or dunstan have much to worry about but hey who knows.

Putrid game of footy but happy with the win. Dicko needs to leave please..we have actually gone backwards the last 2yrs..Billings fmd all this talent and cannot kick a goal 25metres out directly in front. We need another marking target up forward..battle king and Membrey..can't wait to see this attack..pls trade Bruce while he has some value..

P.s. carlscum has the worst supporter base in AFL. Still living in the 90s and the big club syndrome.

Putrid game of footy but happy with the win. Dicko needs to leave please..we have actually gone backwards the last 2yrs..Billings fmd all this talent and cannot kick a goal 25metres out directly in front. We need another marking target up forward..battle king and Membrey..can't wait to see this attack..pls trade Bruce while he has some value..

P.s. carlscum has the worst supporter base in AFL. Still living in the 90s and the big club syndrome.

No way we are moving Battle. Been fantastic down back. Another marking target makes no difference if they don't kick it to the marking players.

We were applauded for changing our game plan now its wrong. We could play like last year and get smashed. With the side we have in at the moment id say the game plan is working a treat.
Our performances this year have been fairly consistent. In 8 games we have kicked a range of 68,72,70,70,68,74,66 points, so regardless of our opponent our output is vastly more consistent to last year.

Our backline has held up well, we are just lacking class forward of the ball and that will come with time and development of our existing list. Put Max King into our side and we can eventually become a 1 to 2 goal a game better team. As far as coaching goes we are much better than last year, its the execution that lets us down.

There is only one way (bar another Essendon drug scandal) to make finals and that is to win enough H&A games to get into the top 8. So far we have won 5 and lost 5 and anyone who thought we would be in this position after 10 rounds when Carlisle, Robbo and Paddy went down pre-season really was drinking the kool-aid.

All even going into Shanghai and the bye ... all to play for.

Hopefully Hanners can play against Coburg next week and then again during the AFL bye week and be putting his case for selection the week after that.

There is only one way (bar another Essendon drug scandal) to make finals and that is to win enough H&A games to get into the top 8. So far we have won 5 and lost 5 and anyone who thought we would be in this position after 10 rounds when Carlisle, Robbo and Paddy went down pre-season really was drinking the kool-aid.

All even going into Shanghai and the bye ... all to play for.

Hopefully Hanners can play against Coburg next week and then again during the AFL bye week and be putting his case for selection the week after that.

Struggle to play in the bye week unfortunately unless he can play at Old Xavs. We do need to start getting players back though.

Steele and gresh fantastic.
Good games from Marshall, Dunstan, Brown, Battle, Membrey and Parker.

I liked Marsh. Improved as the game went on is a big tough unit with fantastic pace and a booming kick. Remember he doesn't look it but he's only a young and pretty inexperienced guy too. 2nd game back.

Same long bomb and shitty goal accuracy story again though.

Newnes and Ross ineffective.
Not sure why Phillips is in the team forcing Billings forward when we need him on the wing.
Young had a wake up call.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back