Review Round 10, 2019 vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree. I have a new respect for scott. But I don't think Schofield is a shoe in. I think monty would have his have firmly entrenched in that ring
Mate - right now I'd almost settle for Donald Duck as coach: at least it'd be a different voice for the players to hear :).

We have known our older group of players are shite for a longtime - Boak, Can’t kick, Ebert the same, Westhoff - all over the shop, Hartlett - should have become our best midfielder, Broadbent not good enough for the midfield. Dixon injury troubles. Jonas gets suspended. Our only star is Robbie - who can’t quick straight, and Ryder who is too old now.

Motlop and Watts were always flakey.

Rockliff had captaincy taken for being a dick.

This shiteness has rubbed off onto Olli, who also can’t kick.

Yes and there is the Ken factor- like a soft marshmallow.

So... we r playing with a very young list, and these players above are keeping us middle of the road, and keeping the supporters interested (not necessarily happy).

We simply don’t have a list to win a premiership now. WCE played with youngsters last year - but they had an Engine room with Legit midfielders.

So whinge all we like, Would you prefer to proper bottom out, and get what we can tradewise or delist for a few of Jonas, Hartlett, Wines, Rockliff, Ebert, Dixon, Gray, Boak, Westhoff etc. Clarko got what he could for his ex stars.

Are these older players actually teaching our younger guys good habits?

The problem is that at stoppages, the inside mids take possession of the footy and instead of looking to feed it off to the outside mids, they slap it onto the boot and we get crappy ball movement that usually ends up in oppo intercepts. The outside mids get sick of being burnt so they eventually stop running for the receives. Also, if this is the plan (sloppy clearances) we need to set up in front of the ball properly to maximise our percentages of being able to mark or bring the ball to ground for small forwards (who were ghosts yesterday) who should be front and centre for easy scoring opps inside 50.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
We have outside mids?

Unfortunately SPP is a very dumb footballer. It's like watching a train wreck every week.
I agree .. he is now getting into the habit of pushing players around instead of concentrating on the game and doing what's best for the team.
His stupid mistakes cost Port two goals against Hawthorn .. its just not good enough.

Jonas had a bad return game. Just got sick of him sitting 5 metres behind his opponent, mainly Gunston, then seeing his opponent take a mark. It was lazy defending. In comparison, Dougal was busting a gut to get the spoil in when his opponent was on a lead.

That's bad enough for any defender but inexcusable for the captain.

Chad Cornes to be on AA with Timmy G soon

Maybe I’m just getting grumpy because we lost.....again.
Why is our runner fronting the media?
Don’t get me wrong I wish we had more players with Chads attitude- he obviously hates losing and did an OK job as our SANFL coach.
I just don’t think it’s appropriate that he is getting interviewed rather than one of our coaches!!!

First 5-10 minutes i thought we looked ok. Kicking against a strong breeze i felt that if we could stick with them we'd be well on our way to victory
Then SPP had an absolute brain fart in D50 which cost a goal then we s**t the bed again and the wheels fell off

Being 4 down at 1/4 time i stupidly thought 'hey its not too bad we can still win this' only for Hawks to kick a goal in the first minute against that strong breeze

I stupidly watched the rest of the game even though i knew what would happen... ive watched this same s**t movie so many times yet i keep watching it for some ****ed up reason.
The old "get 5 goals down then peg it back to 3 and give us a glimmer of hope only for them to kick away again at the end" bullshit we see so often

Im ******* over it

Sack Ken. Sack Voss. Sack Bassett. Appoint Schoey as coach. Piss Koch off.

Huge respect for Brad Scott stepping down. Ken is too stubborn and self-righteous to do the same

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing I noticed was how the ball always seemed to fall their way. Whenever a hack kick went forwards, backwards, sideways, it'd always land in the arms of a Hawthorn player. This means only one thing - structural dominance where one coach is just dictating terms to the other.
Same when we play the neighbours. I got the impression from some of our most senior players that the blind hoick kick was to avoid being tackled. It's a coaching issue, they were organised we weren't. It's damning that in his 7th yr Ken has not achieved a coherent organised gameplan. What's his record against Pyke?

Hardery for longery has burnt out Paddy Robbie & Hoff. It's second nature to blind kick it from players who've been with Ken long enough
that they know no other way. The media have Ken lined up as our coach forever. Subtle inferences that as the old guard come to their end Ken has the exciting new young talent to draw on. Right now is seen as a transitional phase and we're being buttered up to see missing finals
this year as a logical consequence.

In other words nothing to see here. Well right now I see nothing that fills me with anything but despair. More of the same only played out in front of more and more empty seats. The membership drop off alone will eventually match the cost of getting rid of this freeloading clown
and just think about our 150th next year with membership down even more........... Yay.

If it's true that bozo is on $800,000 a yr then when you feel gutted by our recurring failures on the field be comforted that Ken is
pocketing around $15,000 a week. Bonus clauses thrown in? and penalty clauses missing.
Wish I knew what we did to deserve this cluster ****.

Rant over

Maybe I’m just getting grumpy because we lost.....again.
Why is our runner fronting the media?
Don’t get me wrong I wish we had more players with Chads attitude- he obviously hates losing and did an OK job as our SANFL coach.
I just don’t think it’s appropriate that he is getting interviewed rather than one of our coaches!!!

Well it is the job of the runner to deliver messages I suppose...

Hawks started with the wind and was at its strongest in the 3rd quarter

1st Quarter Port I50 6. 0.0 Haw I50 16 4.1
2nd Quarter Port I50 14 2.3 Haw I50 9.. 2.1
3rd Quarter Port I50 15 3.4 Haw I50 15 3.3
4th Quarter Port I50 15 1.6 Haw I50 13 3.3

We did ok in the 3rd quarter into the win but the hopeless first quarter meant we were always struggling to get close to them. And as usual we have to have a quarter where we rack up the points whilst peppering our forward line.

When you spit in the face of supporters with s**t like co-captains and trading out individuals based on their attitude, the least you could do would be to turn up to the first game against and show you made the right decision. We played the man for like 5 seconds then forgot we were in a game for a 1/4 and a 1/2.

“Yeah nah we know where we’re at and we’ve got some work to do...”

Wingard as worst on ground for Hawthorn is probably accurate. I'll have him back in a heartbeat though. He's an utter shell of the player he should be.

Typical Ports playing Gunston back into form. Kill me.

I was annoyed to see Wingard go but right now I'd say we're ahead in that trade.
yes at the moment right up until Hinkley does his stuff to Burton and then Rozee becomes a shadow of his former self as he is told not to play with flair and dare but to work harder and be more defensive.

Here are the champion Data tables for this week.

LOL, COL, FMD, whatever, it never changes. Port's Expected Score 80, Actual Score 49. Hawks 84 vs 80.

I didn't realise we won the free kick count 18-27. It didnt help much.

1558857249595.png

1558857278876.png

Port vs Hawks:

Overall.

Clarkson had a simple plan, gain territory and set up behind the ball to lock it in. The Hawks pushed up and either slingshot it out of defence or continually knocked the ball forward and won the territory battle. They pressured us around the ball, forced us to kick it long down the line and backed their intercept markers to mark it or beat our forwards. They swarmed around each marking contest to ensure we were under pressure if we crumbed it or just won the ball themselves. They denied us the corridor and pressured any overlap run we had.

This is essentially the same game plan that sides have run with against us for the past 7 years.

Sure we didn’t rock up for the first half. Sure that makes game plan execution a little tough. Sure we had that first five minutes where you felt as if things would go ok if we kicked a goal. Instead Rozee and Frampton couldn’t nab the goal and our confidence and will for the contest evaporated. Ken seemed bereft of ideas. Howard forward, Westhoff back - genius. Certainly there were plenty of mistakes, many from our senior players, and Hawthorn often won the 50:50 balls.

Why not turn it into a maul, close down the space and back the speed of our forwards? Make Farrell our ‘spare’ in defence, use his speed and kicking to provide overlap and get him into the game. Could do a similar thing with Rozee or Butters. Throw Dougal in the ruck. Bring the forwards up into the contest, rather than keeping them high and trying to stretch the Hawthorn press.

Forwards: to high to impact through the midfield and unable to have much of an impact on the scoreboard. Really failed to apply any pressure to Hawthorn. Motlop, Rozee, Farrell, S.Gray and Robbie were real non events. Frampton lead well but couldn’t mark anything and had minimal impact. Frawley really towelled him up. Ryder lacked impact. Ladhams showed some good forward craft and kicked a nice goal but also couldn’t mark anything and was generally beaten in the middle and around the ground. Howard was sent forward to late and Westhoff gave use little. And again, of course, our kicking for goal was atrocious.

Mids: if you look purely at the stats, we did alright. However, the impact of rucks and mids was really negated. Felt like we were constantly under pressure and couldn’t get any meaningful possession or forward fifty entry. We really lacked the class of a Josh Kelly/Coniglio type or perhaps the drive of a Wines who rips the team up and carries them over the line. Hawthorn continued the tactic of knock the ball forward and clear the area of the stoppage, they pushed an extra up from the defence and forward line and our mids looked slow and outnumbered.

Boak and Rocky were reliable, Robbie looked off the pace initially but grew in impact, Amon looked good despite and laid some good tackles but did have a couple of mistakes and Duursma was solid again. However, Motlop was poor, 5 touches and no tackles halve way through the third, missed goals, simply not good enough. Our Rucks were negated. Butters, S.Gray and Rozee struggled for impact.

Defence: one of the worst games I’ve seen from our backline. Let the ball out the back too easily, positioning on the hawks forwards was poor, couldn’t handle Gunston at all, looked poor with ball in hand. Broadbent looked desperate to keep his place but has just lost too much speed. DBJ was good, chased hard. Howard intercepted a couple but Hawthorn moved the ball in such a way to negate this and Doogs was then beaten one on one. Lienert, Jonas and Clurey were bad, really slow too, looked like they had just come off leg day. Our defence also gave us little drive or direction. The ‘cool’ heads of Jonas and Broadbent were supposed to allow us to control the ball and stop those momentum shifts against us. Really it was quarter and half time that saved us.

Questions:

• How many ‘perfect’ games have we had under Ken? Ie games where we play our style, generally execute well? Don’t even have to be wins, just games where you leave thinking ‘yup, generally we played well, played to our game plan, didn’t let the opposition play their style and I’m overall happy with how we went.
  • Is it a bad game plan? A game plan that our current list can’t execute? A game plan our coaches can’t instruct the players in? A game plan that can be broken down too easily? A game plan that the players don’t work hard and well enough to implement?
  • Do we make finals and deserve to?
  • Why are we not starting games well?
  • The players were clearly off against Hawthorn and didn’t match the Hawks’ intensity. Few coaches can find a way to win if their team doesn’t rock up. Is that on the players or the coaches?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back