Review Round 10, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Richmond

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Eagles fit? Much better option as second ruck, half back, resting tall forward than the three young talls. Hate to say it, bit I dont think Skinner is AFL standard, rough skills, hard hands, no class (love to be proved wrong). Ballenden has a chance as a good mover and ball user. Needs to be stronger in the air. Payne, jury out. Very green but athletic. Cant play all three. Harris needs to play in a zone off role where he can play to his strengths. You lose twice by playing him man on man on a deep power forward like Lynch or Hawkins... No surprise that our two worst performances were when we didnt have Harris controlling the air from CHB because he was jostling (and losing) in the goal square.
There is a guy running around for Norf, I think his name is Walker, would be handy at both ends right now.
We went way too tall tonight.

No idea why. Eagles is presently better than Ballenden or Skinner because he has more energy ,would always provide a contest and keeps going. I realise that's probably a short sighted view but unlike others I think we can win it this year if we get our structure right .

Tonight on paper we had no hope.

Is Eagles fit? Much better option as second ruck, half back, resting tall forward than the three young talls. Hate to say it, bit I dont think Skinner is AFL standard, rough skills, hard hands, no class (love to be proved wrong). Ballenden has a chance as a good mover and ball user. Needs to be stronger in the air. Payne, jury out. Very green but athletic. Cant play all three. Harris needs to play in a zone off role where he can play to his strengths. You lose twice by playing him man on man on a deep power forward like Lynch or Hawkins... No surprise that our two worst performances were when we didnt have Harris controlling the air from CHB because he was jostling (and losing) in the goal square.
There is a guy running around for Norf, I think his name is Walker, would be handy at both ends right now.
Very big yes to the last point.

I don't think we're that far off of them and I still think some aspects of tonight were very positive. I hate to make excuses but historically when looking at examples across all team sports when there is a big disparity in the time both teams have to prepare it does place the team on a shorter break at a disadvantage. It's not an idea that we can't beat Richmond it's looking at the bigger picture, keeping players injury free and making sure we're in a position to win as many games during this block as possible. The idea of load management is only met with outrage because it's unfamilar in an AFL setting, but everything about this season is unfamiliar. To say it sets a bad example to the playing group disregards the fact that it happens everywhere around the world and has no such affect.
100%.

Dumb team selection by us tonight . Just hope it doesn't derail our season

17 behinds. I don’t know what else to focus on right now. You can’t win a game of footy if you kick 17 behinds. We’d have lost to Adelaide if we were playing them tonight. If we’d kicked 17-4 we’d have won comfortably. The shots on goal were there. We just didn’t kick them.

I ended up coming back :D, so one more from me.. If we need Payne as second tall again (which I presume we will come finals), we should continue to play him for rest of the year. Leave him in the defense, period. He needs to build chemistry with Andrews, Gardiner and the entire backline.

Same with Ballenden, give him a consistent run at second ruck until Martin comes back. This could be the making of him.

If we don't do either then we have no one else to blame in terms of bench strength later this season.

Just got back, we must find a way to stop them from exiting contested situations around the ground so easily and into space. They are fantastically drilled side and know their systems to perfection, they never send too many to a contest and out numbered us on the outside through quick hands.

I thought the Big O was sensational tonight.

Jack Payne was towelled up but I can excuse that effort for such a young player, would need a block of games to get up to speed.

CEY was probably the only player that I thought was ordinary.

We tried our hearts out just too many errors..... and those yips are bloody frustrating.

I've seen enough. Constantly mucking up transitions is my biggest hate. His goal kicking has been "ok"
I agree think Eric needs a week off
I drop all four talls (Payne, Ballenden, Hipwood and Skinner) for Eagles and McStay and go smaller.
Although with Rayner out we probably keep one of them

17 behinds. I don’t know what else to focus on right now. You can’t win a game of footy if you kick 17 behinds. We’d have lost to Adelaide if we were playing them tonight. If we’d kicked 17-4 we’d have won comfortably. The shots on goal were there. We just didn’t kick them.
Over to you coaching department.

We delisted Walker last year for Adams as we had Payne, Skinner and Ballenden.
Now with Adams down again, Martin/Archie out and McStay suspended he would of been a perfect fit
Watched a few North matches I still say Walker ahead of the three young kids.
Although happy he getting games in the firsts as he not pushed out anyone in our 22 when all fit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now with Adams down again, Martin/Archie out and McStay suspended he would of been a perfect fit
Although happy he getting games in the firsts as he not pushed out anyone in our 22 when all fit
If we still had Walker, I'd be sending Harris Andrews straight to the forward line after tonight's game.

I think Payne will be fine . Thrown into the lion's den tonight, made a couple of poor decisions dropped his bundle a little but stuck at it. And was really stiff a couple of times.

Only his first game.

Jumping to a conclusion on anyone's first game is a bit rich.

If we had beaten a Richmond side coming off a 4 day break, I'd have taken little Septemer-level confidence out of it.

-1 scoring shots, -6 in contested ball, & +39 in marks, -4 inside 50s, +8 in clearances. Fielded a team far more devoid of experience than the Tiges.

Forget the rest - they're the benchmark this season, and probably will be for a significant portion of our window. With maturity comes mentality; we will beat them, I'm not concerned at all.

Beat the Dogs and we're 2 from 3 in this tricky fortnight period. Would be an outstanding result. Go Lions

From the outset I thought 2/3 would be a fantastic outcome, so if we can do that I'll be very happy. Hopefully getting back to the gabba should help, especially for someone like hippy who seems to really struggle to keep his feet with the rapidly declining surface quality at metricon

Hipwood can't keep playing like he is and expect us not to try to mix it up a bit. I've got faith in him but just at the moment he's costing us more opportunities than he's giving us.

Take the pressure off somehow. You can't beat good teams in big games if your biggest tall forward keeps falling over and isn't really in it in a contested situation.

I think Payne will be fine . Thrown into the lion's den tonight, made a couple of poor decisions dropped his bundle a little but stuck at it. And was really stiff a couple of times.

Only his first game.

Sure a lot of experts thought J Brown was a dud based on his first game

People seem very very quick to write off new players, especially young talls. Three players with a combined total of six games between them against the best team in the country. Progress is rarely linear. Some start off fast and then improve slowly. Others start slow but then really improve.

The three young talls might be good players but we won’t know until we give them a chance to develop at this level.

Only his first game.

I agree on Payne..
Not sure on Ballenden. has skills just seems to get pushed out too much.
Skinner I like although shows glimpses
Just Walker above where all three are presently.
Not talking 1-2 years in the future.. Talking now
playing all three young kids I think cost us. not their fault

People seem very very quick to write off new players, especially young talls. Three players with a combined total of six games between them against the best team in the country. Progress is rarely linear. Some start off fast and then improve slowly. Others start slow but then really improve.

The three young talls might be good players but we won’t know until we give them a chance to develop at this level.
I agree totally. not ideal to have all three in at once.
What I was saying was Walker was ahead of them. if we needed a stop gap he would of been good tonight
Although then we never get games into the young kids.

Fine line blooding kids and winning games.. three was too many.

Back