Preview Round 10, 2020: Gold Coast v St.Kilda - Metricon Stadium, Thursday 6th August, 8:10PM AEST *RYDER 250TH*

Who Wins?

• Suns

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Saints

Votes: 49 94.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep I definitely think Membrey was carrying an injury. I was watching him like a hawk as I needed him to kick a snag for a nice juicy multi To pay out 🙄

I think it was Stewart66 that suggested he was carrying a leg injury a while back. In 2020 he's not tracking a great deal better than Josh Bruce, he looks like he's trying but just can't get a consistent run at it. The positive is that if someone told you that we the were leading scoring team and that Membrey had only had a bit part in it you'd think they were crazy. I still can't quite believe we are going as well as we are.

Crusty Undies

This means peace here!
Oct 22, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Nice to see i can't have a bloody opinion AGAIN without being called a troll and fake. And to be BANNED. Nice group of people on here...sarcasm.
You're suggesting we drop a young and rapidly improving small defender every week, one who this week held the coleman medal leader to a goal and 9 touches. Why? Can you really blame people for suggesting you're a troll when literally every week you say the same thing and literally every week Paton improves on his last performance?

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Nice to see i can't have a bloody opinion AGAIN without being called a troll and fake. And to be BANNED. Nice group of people on here...sarcasm.

Mate I haven't been weighing in on what you've had to say and yes you are correct that everyone is entitled to their opinion and there is no such thing as a 'wrong' opinion.

But you equally need to recognise that whenever you express opinions that are way outside the ballpark of all others, you're gonna cop a mixture of stick, ridicule, and scepticism.
It goes with the territory.

The only way you're gonna change that is by presenting some evidence to show your left of centre opinion is based on some tangible facts that perhaps others may like to use to change THEIR opinion.

Instead of responding with the woe is me routine, i recomend explaining WHY you have your opinions instead of just dropping clearly controversial 1 liners without explanation like: paton out.

Sully111

Premiership Player
Jun 10, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Thursday can't come fast enough for me. So freakin happy with our team right now. The footy really is an awesome thing in these crazy times.

I agree Long and Kent for Sav and Parker. Don't think Sav was bad for us... but Long needs to come back in.

Hope Max tears it up.

Love to see Membery have a big game. I have faith he'll be hitting the scoreboard again soon.

I reckon Billings is due for a big game too.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Nick Hind (draft pick 54) showing form last week was a added bonus - this is another reason you have to wait for guys to mature , he is slim light build now at 26 (next month) so imagine him at 18.
A lot of players might have given up on getting a spot on a list at his age , just goes to show some players just need the time.
If he can produce that kind of effort every few weeks , we have another money ball winning draft selection.
Just brilliant.

I still rate Marshall a future super star , he is being played out of position and is still racking up possessions - I really feel he could absolutely destroy some teams this year , he has been getting better each game.(who ever picked this guy in the rookie draft has a very good eye - or is it just our turn for some luck)

Wilkie a backman who just goes about his business and when he get's hold of it you know it's in safe hands. - another rookie pick / amazing

Paton , not a rookie pick but a pick at 46 , really another good selection and most probably a 200 game player.

Dan Butler pick 64 - what a joke picking up a guy who has played in a premiership and is only coming into his prime.

Howard , I don't know how we got this guy for pick 56 / absolutely another steal - how can you pick up a 2m key position player , who usually take 50+ games to develop and we pick him up after already playing the Captain role for Port last year.

Battle pick 39 , athlete tall with good skill's - and I would put money on this guy becoming a future topliner once he get's a steady position , but for a guy who has shown he can play anywhere he is another super selection and he is only turning 22 next month.

Ryder - was one pick I thought wouldn't work out , well I was wrong there , he dropped 8kgs from the previous 2 years and playing with his 2nd cousin from Perth has a renewed hunger for the game --- he came with Port teammate Dougal Howard and pick 10 and a 2020 fourth-round selection, in return for the Saints' picks 12 and 18 and a 2020 third-round selection.

Jones - another steal for a guy that is a very good player who is still improving every game and only just turned 25 and we picked him up cheap as well - pick 56 was traded to St Kilda for pick 32, 76 and a 2020 3rd Round pick.

Steele - has developed into just about our best midfielder (24yr old) and at 6ft 2in makes his presents felt - another cheap pickup - he was a future 2017 second round draft pick. // the guy is currently running 2nd in the coaches votes half way through the season / huge

This is just 10 players who will basically all AFL grade players we picked up very cheaply and I'm not including Membery , as a delisted free agent at the end of 2014

All these guys have massive upside except for Ryder and then you add our young high draft picks in Billings , Gresham , King , Coffield , Hunter Clark , Long and life is great at Moorabin / and the hype and atmosphere will no doubt draw a big fish next year.
Don't count out anyone. Kelly , Oliver , Cripps - having a astute accountant as Head of recruitment will make sure we have the salary cap to pick one up.
Agree with this summation of our late order drafting and trading except for one thing and it is only small.

I reckon Richmond did Butler a solid and traded fairly with us, so Butler, whom Richmond KNEW was good enough for a starting 22 team could continued a deserved AFL career.

They made the judgement that they had others in his position that were a better fit. This attitude is one of a club that is strong and has a culture of caring for their players.
Trade day, the Tigers waited until we had got our others done, lined up behind Sydney in the room to do the paperwork and basically took a token pick.

I was impressed with their attitude then, and to me another indication of why they are currently the most successful club in the AFL.
We have been fortunate how well Butler fits our style. Always known as a good inside 50 defender, but has taken it to new heights as well as playing well generally and kicking goals.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think it was Stewart66 that suggested he was carrying a leg injury a while back. In 2020 he's not tracking a great deal better than Josh Bruce, he looks like he's trying but just can't get a consistent run at it. The positive is that if someone told you that we the were leading scoring team and that Membrey had only had a bit part in it you'd think they were crazy. I still can't quite believe we are going as well as we are.
He's well ahead of Bruce right now.

Membrey is at least getting up the ground and having some kind of impact.

Averaging nearly twice the marks and he's getting the ball inside 50 more.

Most of Bruces touches seem to be ugly handballs fighting for it off the deck.

King seems to be playing that deeper role with Membrey up the ground. He's not having his best year but he's playing his role.

We just seem more evenly spread right now, but he'll no doubt pop up with a couple of 3 or 4 goal games.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
Agree with this summation of our late order drafting and trading except for one thing and it is only small.

I reckon Richmond did Butler a solid and traded fairly with us, so Butler, whom Richmond KNEW was good enough for a starting 22 team could continued a deserved AFL career.

They made the judgement that they had others in his position that were a better fit. This attitude is one of a club that is strong and has a culture of caring for their players.
Trade day, the Tigers waited until we had got our others done, lined up behind Sydney in the room to do the paperwork and basically took a token pick.

I was impressed with their attitude then, and to me another indication of why they are currently the most successful club in the AFL.
We have been fortunate how well Butler fits our style. Always known as a good inside 50 defender, but has taken it to new heights as well as playing well generally and kicking goals.
I think they made the wrong call but I'm glad they let Butler go and kept Castagna.

Saintbloke

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Membrey needs to run off his opponent a bit harder and offer a marking target..seems to be trying the out-muscle tactic

Nick Hind (draft pick 54) showing form last week was a added bonus - this is another reason you have to wait for guys to mature , he is slim light build now at 26 (next month) so imagine him at 18.
A lot of players might have given up on getting a spot on a list at his age , just goes to show some players just need the time.
If he can produce that kind of effort every few weeks , we have another money ball winning draft selection.
Just brilliant.

I still rate Marshall a future super star , he is being played out of position and is still racking up possessions - I really feel he could absolutely destroy some teams this year , he has been getting better each game.(who ever picked this guy in the rookie draft has a very good eye - or is it just our turn for some luck)

Wilkie a backman who just goes about his business and when he get's hold of it you know it's in safe hands. - another rookie pick / amazing

Paton , not a rookie pick but a pick at 46 , really another good selection and most probably a 200 game player.

Dan Butler pick 64 - what a joke picking up a guy who has played in a premiership and is only coming into his prime.

Howard , I don't know how we got this guy for pick 56 / absolutely another steal - how can you pick up a 2m key position player , who usually take 50+ games to develop and we pick him up after already playing the Captain role for Port last year.

Battle pick 39 , athlete tall with good skill's - and I would put money on this guy becoming a future topliner once he get's a steady position , but for a guy who has shown he can play anywhere he is another super selection and he is only turning 22 next month.

Ryder - was one pick I thought wouldn't work out , well I was wrong there , he dropped 8kgs from the previous 2 years and playing with his 2nd cousin from Perth has a renewed hunger for the game --- he came with Port teammate Dougal Howard and pick 10 and a 2020 fourth-round selection, in return for the Saints' picks 12 and 18 and a 2020 third-round selection.

Jones - another steal for a guy that is a very good player who is still improving every game and only just turned 25 and we picked him up cheap as well - pick 56 was traded to St Kilda for pick 32, 76 and a 2020 3rd Round pick.

Steele - has developed into just about our best midfielder (24yr old) and at 6ft 2in makes his presents felt - another cheap pickup - he was a future 2017 second round draft pick. // the guy is currently running 2nd in the coaches votes half way through the season / huge

This is just 10 players who will basically all AFL grade players we picked up very cheaply and I'm not including Membery , as a delisted free agent at the end of 2014

All these guys have massive upside except for Ryder and then you add our young high draft picks in Billings , Gresham , King , Coffield , Hunter Clark , Long and life is great at Moorabin / and the hype and atmosphere will no doubt draw a big fish next year.
Don't count out anyone. Kelly , Oliver , Cripps - having a astute accountant as Head of recruitment will make sure we have the salary cap to pick one up.

Nice to see “Lesser lights” Hind and Paton getting some recognition On The Couch last night.

Last edited:
What did they say?

I know this’ll sound odd, but after two very hectic days getting back to online work, I’m trying to remember if I actually saw it on TV or whether it was in an article I read yesterday. ( something about 9 good things in the round). I’ve possibly mixed up exactly where I saw it. I know, for sure, that it wasn’t Footy Classified because I just couldn’t stay up for it last night!

I know I sound drunk - but seriously it’s fatigue, not alcohol 🤣

I know this’ll sound odd, but after two very hectic days getting back to online work, I’m trying to remember if I actually saw it on TV or whether it was in an article I read yesterday. ( something about 9 good things in the round). I’ve possibly mixed up exactly where I saw it. I know, for sure, that it wasn’t Footy Classified because I just couldn’t stay up for it last night!

I know I sound drunk - but seriously it’s fatigue, not alcohol 🤣
Sure mate :drunk:

Healy said we've found a couple of gems with these two. Underrated but look great for our future with the verstaility they bring.

Thank you!! So I didn’t imagine it ( I feel relieved).
I think there was something in an article I read too somewhere.
Oh dear, all this good press everywhere - I can’t cope 🤣

Thursday can't come fast enough for me. So freakin happy with our team right now. The footy really is an awesome thing in these crazy times.

I agree Long and Kent for Sav and Parker. Don't think Sav was bad for us... but Long needs to come back in.

Hope Max tears it up.

Love to see Membery have a big game. I have faith he'll be hitting the scoreboard again soon.

I reckon Billings is due for a big game too.

We have been winning with smaller than expected contributions from.....

Seb Ross, reigning B&F winner, has ben well below his usual standard.
Membrey, hardly impacting on the scoreboard and not really looking like the player he was the last 5 years.
Hill, was our prized recruit and our only A grade player.
Geary, playing in shut down roles and bit part jobs, is our captain.
Billings, started like a house on fire and has tapered off to the point that he's just contributing.
Our twin tower rucks, Marshall and Paddy have started to mesh but for good part of the season they looked like an huge issue.
Dunstan, Savage, Roberton, Brown, Webster etc were all walk up best 22 for the last few years, now can't get a game.

The guys who have soared this year....
Hunter Clark, looks like a 150 game veteran, never rushed or cornered.
Steele, taken his good games to great and released from a hard tag, he's become damaging in his own right. Hardly wastes a touch.
Butler, in the best 5 small forwards of 2020.
Coffield, looked like a bust last year, this year looks settled and solid.
Paton, surprise packet smaller backman who patrols the CHB like a shark.
Dougal Howard and Jake Carlisle. Almost the best tall back combo in AFL, big, aggressive and quick with aerial dominance. You'd feel nervous playing tall forward positions with them in there.
Wilkie, super reliable shut down defender who plays tall and small, looks like a Dylan Grimes type of complete game defender.
Zac Jones, just a tempo setter for the side. Has a real brutal combination of speed and hardness. The image of him bursting from the centre with he burners going and stabbing kicks into the hot spot never gets boring to watch.
Kent, was one of those players I hoped would be dropped every week last year, seemed like a lost cause, this year he's showing why we got him.
Max king, so far he's just ticking over but every now and then you get glimpses of what he might be. Still 10th on the Coleman ladder in first gear. He's looking like he'll be a scarily good player. Hard to believe he's played 9 senior games and missed almost 2 years of footy before that.

Membrey needs to run off his opponent a bit harder and offer a marking target..seems to be trying the out-muscle tactic

Last week he was roaming a lot further from goal, he might be tying to change it up.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
big harsh mate ... ;)

hahahah
but to answer your question yeah i think with Kents ability to be able to go for a stint in the middle/wing for a short period he has Parkers spot if fully fit .. for the moment at least
Kent is kinda the best of both lonie and Parker in one player

FootyMaster11

Senior List
Jul 17, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
For the last few remaining people that are saying Paton should get dropped, let's not forget that as an under 18, he was an All Australian back pocket (if I remember correctly), and looks very capable of replicating this to the AFL in the next few years as has already shown significant promise (to be able to force the captain of the club to change positions because you have taken his spot is no small feat, even if Geary is not the most skilful captain in the league)

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
If Parker had of nailed those two goals rather than the two behinds, there would be no issue with him retaining his spot. I'd like to give him another crack at it. He's a confidence player. If he snags a goal early in a game, watch him impact the rest of the match with menace.
Wouldn't be surprised to see him dropped for Kent though.
i agree ... i think for the moment at least Parker is behind Kent in the best 22 .. Kents main strength is his impact off the ball and the pressure he applies to the opposition trying to run the ball out ... the way i see it is

Parker - good pressure and provides a target / not really impacting the score
Lonie - good scoreboard pressure kicking a couple each week / not really impacting the contest the other way
Kent - Strong pressure and defensive positioning / impacting the score board regularly

from that i would have the pecking order as Kent then Parker then Lonie

FootyMaster11

Senior List
Jul 17, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Even Purple and Lloyd are finding it hard to be too critical of the Saints now ... apart from the fact we dropped two games we should have won.

Once David King starts staying good things about us then we can be happy, I swear he never tips us and is always critical, even in the Swans game I reckon I heard him say during the last quarter that we were moving the ball too quickly for his liking, turns out we kicked 5 goals after he said that from that exact reason

For the last few remaining people that are saying Paton should get dropped, let's not forget that as an under 18, he was an All Australian back pocket (if I remember correctly), and looks very capable of replicating this to the AFL in the next few years as has already shown significant promise (to be able to force the captain of the club to change positions because you have taken his spot is no small feat, even if Geary is not the most skilful captain in the league)
Mate im pretty sure there has only been one person wanting him dropped , anyway its not happening , he is a ripper

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Once David King starts staying good things about us then we can be happy, I swear he never tips us and is always critical, even in the Swans game I reckon I heard him say during the last quarter that we were moving the ball too quickly for his liking, turns out we kicked 5 goals after he said that from that exact reason
His praise on the commentary on Saturday night was effusive.
Really talked up our stoppage work and our speed and style of play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back