Preview Round 10, 2020: Gold Coast v St.Kilda - Metricon Stadium, Thursday 6th August, 8:10PM AEST *RYDER 250TH*

Who Wins?

• Suns

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Saints

Votes: 49 94.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't really concur with the resting players idea. All teams had over two months off and we're only 8 games into the reboot. We've already had two 9 day breaks since the restart so the players are probably not even at peak fitness yet. Sure the next few weeks will be tough but it's the same for every team.

We need wins on the board now while the confidence is up and the team is playing well. We won't want to be relying on beating the Lions, Eagles (maybe in Perth) and GWS in order to play finals.

I say go with our best line up possible. We've been out of the big action for too long to tinker with a winning formula.

Boom or bust.

Long for Sav is the only change i would make .... continuity is key ... we saw that a number of times where Gresh and Ryder instinctivley knew where eachother were during the ball ups and that set up many of our centre clearance work ...
i know this might be unpopular but i would rather Parker in the side at the moment over Lonie yes Matty isnt impacting the scoreboard like Lonie has so far this year but i do feel Parker is a more physical presence in the forward line and makes our fowrad dynamic harder to match up on ... he also add some more arieal threat (heck he contested a ruck duel last week) ....
the key this week is to beat the suns in the mental side of the game ... they started off with a bang but have been a little off the boil since so we need to have them building that doubt inthemselves that they are running out of puff ... we need to bring our energy to the game and worry them out of it ....

Long for Sav is the only change i would make .... continuity is key ... we saw that a number of times where Gresh and Ryder instinctivley knew where eachother were during the ball ups and that set up many of our centre clearance work ...
i know this might be unpopular but i would rather Parker in the side at the moment over Lonie yes Matty isnt impacting the scoreboard like Lonie has so far this year but i do feel Parker is a more physical presence in the forward line and makes our fowrad dynamic harder to match up on ... he also add some more arieal threat (heck he contested a ruck duel last week) ....
the key this week is to beat the suns in the mental side of the game ... they started off with a bang but have been a little off the boil since so we need to have them building that doubt inthemselves that they are running out of puff ... we need to bring our energy to the game and worry them out of it ....
Kent?

Also got to remember that Essendon still have a game up their sleeve against Melbourne, you would count that as a win to them which would have them on 24pts equal with us & West Coast
Also got to remember that Essendon still have a game up their sleeve against Melbourne, you would count that as a win to them which would have them on 24pts equal with us & West Coast
Including Melbourne,their last block of games also include Rich,Port,WC, Geel and Hawt.

Bombers percentage at present is equivalent to a 198 point deficit to ours,which basically gives us a 1game advantage.
That's why next 3games are so important for us,and must play best 22 and Bank our wins now

In the post match presser Ratts basically said Kent will come in for Parker. That’s an upgrade to our 22. This year Kent has kicked some crucial goals when needed. Long & Ross are also best 22 which complicates matters further. Savage seems the logical omission for Long. Sinclair & Battle have been pretty good but one of them probably goes out for Ross. Unless we rest a ruckman. I think there’ll be three changes though.

I’ve been a Ross advocate but I don’t really see whose spot he takes. Sinclair’s two games have genuinely been more effective than the games from Ross this year. Not in the sense of their output compared to expectation but in a direct comparison on performance. Ross only gets in based on his form in previous years, which was obviously far better.

I think I’d go Long and Kent in for Savage and Parker.

Starting the compressed game schedule it is an interesting point:

• Do you try and play your best team every week - Risks burn out and more soft tissue injuries. But also might lead to play a team that tires.
  • Do you rotate some players every game - Means that every week you team is below its best. the opposition may or may not be.
  • or Do you pick and choose and aim to play your best team for the more winnable games - Gives us the best chance of making finals.
I favour the last approach So in our next run I would look to have our best team possible for the Suns and dons game, and risk fielding a weaker team against the Cats.

Plus there is a 6 day break between the Cats and Dons game. Only 4 days between Suns and Cats. It is 5 days between Swans and Suns, but that is after 7 day gap to our previous team.

Games left:

Suns
Cats
Dons

and then to yet be fixtured.

Helping is this run there will be a bye for Saints. so in this run we will have a recovery period.

WCE
Lions
Giants
Hawks
Melbourne

If we can win all the bolded games we will have 10 wins and will be playing finals. So I would prioritise to be at our best in these games.

If we can snag several more we will be Top 4., and it may be a bit luck of the draw as to how good a team we can field in them, and how good our opponents teams are as well.

With our games when we rest Steele and Jones will be critical as midfield is the area that we have less ready to step in options. However it will be good for the development Bytel and Byrnes to give them some actual gametime in the midfield at AFL level.
So also maybe do not play Ross against the Suns but bring him back fresh for the Cats game.

With ruck the acquiring of Abott may well most handy for the rest of the season. Obviously no star, but he is 29 with a solid VFL record and quite reasonable stats at AFL level. So does allow some options with Marshall and Ryder and comes in with a mature body and good experience. Marshall cannot play every game, and we also want him primed for finals.

All the other positions we have coverage. Sometimes good. Sometimes not, but mainly adequate.

We have to attempt to win every game we play whilst things are going our way. We cant pick and chose which games to win and which not. We should be eyeing off a top 4 finish and the competition is far too close to take the foot off the pedal. Having said that, I think we can rotate some players and still expect a positive result.

My guess is that they’ve put a lot of training into Parker which he has been attempting to apply in the match environment and is still trying to get it right; positioning, defensive running, presenting, doubling back. Ok don’t really know what I’m talking about here but it feels he’s not off the leash as much as last year, maybe this year with a second preseason he’s got the tank to handle what he needs to do? Maybe in a game or two things will click and we’ll see a rebranded Parker...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

After the game Ryder was icing up his hand did I also notice Members icing up his thigh? Haven’t heard anything about it but I’m sure I noticed it.
Yep I definitely think Membrey was carrying an injury. I was watching him like a hawk as I needed him to kick a snag for a nice juicy multi To pay out 🙄

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Parker had of nailed those two goals rather than the two behinds, there would be no issue with him retaining his spot. I'd like to give him another crack at it. He's a confidence player. If he snags a goal early in a game, watch him impact the rest of the match with menace.
Wouldn't be surprised to see him dropped for Kent though.

Parker is probably due a good one and might be the x-factor we need against the Suns that said I cant say I am overly confident with this game as we don't play Metricon well, Suns usually come to play against us and we are going for a 4th straight win and might be due for a let down with the Suns coming off 2 losses who will be desperate for a win on home turf.

Will be a good mental test and I really hope I am wrong.

Listening to Ratts presso, it doesn't seem Ross will make it this week. He sounded excited about Ryder's 250th so he should be fine for this week. He said we won't rest players unless we have a player who shows us a red flag so aiming to put the best side each week to win as many games as possible. Can see 2 changes for this week

Out: Parker & Savage
In: Kent & Long

Nick Hind (draft pick 54) showing form last week was a added bonus - this is another reason you have to wait for guys to mature , he is slim light build now at 26 (next month) so imagine him at 18.
A lot of players might have given up on getting a spot on a list at his age , just goes to show some players just need the time.
If he can produce that kind of effort every few weeks , we have another money ball winning draft selection.
Just brilliant.

I still rate Marshall a future super star , he is being played out of position and is still racking up possessions - I really feel he could absolutely destroy some teams this year , he has been getting better each game.(who ever picked this guy in the rookie draft has a very good eye - or is it just our turn for some luck)

Wilkie a backman who just goes about his business and when he get's hold of it you know it's in safe hands. - another rookie pick / amazing

Paton , not a rookie pick but a pick at 46 , really another good selection and most probably a 200 game player.

Dan Butler pick 64 - what a joke picking up a guy who has played in a premiership and is only coming into his prime.

Howard , I don't know how we got this guy for pick 56 / absolutely another steal - how can you pick up a 2m key position player , who usually take 50+ games to develop and we pick him up after already playing the Captain role for Port last year.

Battle pick 39 , athlete tall with good skill's - and I would put money on this guy becoming a future topliner once he get's a steady position , but for a guy who has shown he can play anywhere he is another super selection and he is only turning 22 next month.

Ryder - was one pick I thought wouldn't work out , well I was wrong there , he dropped 8kgs from the previous 2 years and playing with his 2nd cousin from Perth has a renewed hunger for the game --- he came with Port teammate Dougal Howard and pick 10 and a 2020 fourth-round selection, in return for the Saints' picks 12 and 18 and a 2020 third-round selection.

Jones - another steal for a guy that is a very good player who is still improving every game and only just turned 25 and we picked him up cheap as well - pick 56 was traded to St Kilda for pick 32, 76 and a 2020 3rd Round pick.

Steele - has developed into just about our best midfielder (24yr old) and at 6ft 2in makes his presents felt - another cheap pickup - he was a future 2017 second round draft pick. // the guy is currently running 2nd in the coaches votes half way through the season / huge

This is just 10 players who will basically all AFL grade players we picked up very cheaply and I'm not including Membery , as a delisted free agent at the end of 2014

All these guys have massive upside except for Ryder and then you add our young high draft picks in Billings , Gresham , King , Coffield , Hunter Clark , Long and life is great at Moorabin / and the hype and atmosphere will no doubt draw a big fish next year.
Don't count out anyone. Kelly , Oliver , Cripps - having a astute accountant as Head of recruitment will make sure we have the salary cap to pick one up.

Was clearly talking about this year. Ross has been hopeless.
You won't be getting any arguments from me about Ross v Sinclair. Sinclair has been very good in both games back and actually uses it to advantage unlike Ross!
Always thought Sinclair would become a better player in a good team. Not the type to do much when he has low skilled players around him though.

But have to disagree strongly that Battle is borderline best 22
He is a potential star in my view and shows super footy IQ or nous whatever you want it call it with his creativity. Can kick goals and also put in a big shift in defence when needed.
Exactly the perfect prototype modern footballer who should always be in our side!

Howard , I don't know how we got this guy for pick 56 / absolutely another steal - how can you pick up a 2m key position player , who usually take 50+ games to develop and we pick him up after already playing the Captain role for Port last year.

Ryder - was one pick I thought wouldn't work out , well I was wrong there , he dropped 8kgs from the previous 2 years and playing with his 2nd cousin from Perth has a renewed hunger for the game --- he came with Port teammate Dougal Howard and pick 10 and a 2020 fourth-round selection, in return for the Saints' picks 12 and 18 and a 2020 third-round selection.

I am not sure how you got the idea that Howard was traded for pick 56. Though in your Ryder comment you got it correct.

At the conclusion of the 2019 AFL season, Howard requested a trade to St Kilda. The trade was finalised on 15 October and Howard was traded to St Kilda along with Port teammate Paddy Ryder and pick 10 and a 2020 fourth-round selection, in return for the Saints' picks 12 and 18 and a 2020 third-round selection.

Most of the trade price would have been for Howard. Ryder was a nice bonus , but at his age and as Port wanted him gone his actual trade cost would have been little.

I am not sure how you got the idea that Howard was traded for pick 56. Though in your Ryder comment you got it correct.

At the conclusion of the 2019 AFL season, Howard requested a trade to St Kilda. The trade was finalised on 15 October and Howard was traded to St Kilda along with Port teammate Paddy Ryder and pick 10 and a 2020 fourth-round selection, in return for the Saints' picks 12 and 18 and a 2020 third-round selection.

Most of the trade price would have been for Howard. Ryder was a nice bonus , but at his age and as Port wanted him gone his actual trade cost would have been little.
mistake - that is what Port got for him in the draft

Nice to see i can't have a bloody opinion AGAIN without being called a troll and fake. And to be BANNED. Nice group of people on here...sarcasm.
Jesus Christ give it a rest with openly criticising staff. You were banned by another mod for calling someone an idiot. Abuse is against the rules. Posts that were over the top towards you were deleted. If you can't handle people taking issue with your opinion then simply don't post. This isn't your personal echo chamber. It is a forum. People can disagree with you.

Have a mature discussion like most others and move on. You lose credibility when your opinion doesn't change despite the facts changing. Look at the game objectively and you might see the performance of our players differently.

Don't really concur with the resting players idea. All teams had over two months off and we're only 8 games into the reboot. We've already had two 9 day breaks since the restart so the players are probably not even at peak fitness yet. Sure the next few weeks will be tough but it's the same for every team.

We need wins on the board now while the confidence is up and the team is playing well. We won't want to be relying on beating the Lions, Eagles (maybe in Perth) and GWS in order to play finals.

I say go with our best line up possible. We've been out of the big action for too long to tinker with a winning formula.

Boom or bust.

Totally agree. I mean if a player is showing you they need a break - give it to them. But our best 22 is flying (particularly in Q4s) and I don't see much sign that anyone is needing a break.

You have to remember, players are on modified training and they are playing significantly shorter game time. Most players would be playing around 80% time on ground that they were playing last year. And they are going to play about 7 less games than last year.

Keep going hard until there are obvious indications a break is needed. Look closer to the end of the year to provide managed time if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back