Preview Round 10, 2020: Gold Coast v St.Kilda - Metricon Stadium, Thursday 6th August, 8:10PM AEST *RYDER 250TH*

Who Wins?

• Suns

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Saints

Votes: 49 94.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In: Kent, Abbott, Long
Out: Parker, Geary, Ryder (managed)

Give Ross another week and bring him back against Geelong.
Don’t see why we’d bring in Abbott. Ryder and Marshall as a combo is working because they’re both terrific footballers. Abbott is several levels below both.

Most teams in the comp go with one ruckman. If Ryder needs a rest, Marshall can ruck solo.

Agree Sincs was great last night-was at the game

There aren't many players better at scooping up a ground ball at full tilt than Sincs. Also I thought Coffield's ability to be very aware in heavy traffic is close to elite. He seems to know when someone is coming to him and dishes off at the perfect moment. All while still moving. He's a fast thinker.

There aren't many players better at scooping up a ground ball at full tilt than Sincs. Also I thought Coffield's ability to be very aware in heavy traffic is close to elite. He seems to know when someone is coming to him and dishes off at the perfect moment. All while still moving. He's a fast thinker.

I like Coffield and think he'll only get better but at the moment he's got a touch of the Raph Clarke's about him. Every time he makes a mistake it seems to cost us a goal and it highlights the error. Some guys just seem to be unlucky like that. Others always seem to get away with it.

Part of it is down to him often getting a mis match. Trying to spoil someone much taller or chase down a speedster. We just need to work out his best role. At the moment it seems like as an intercept defender.

I like Coffield and think he'll only get better but at the moment he's got a touch of the Raph Clarke's about him. Every time he makes a mistake it seems to cost us a goal and it highlights the error. Some guys just seem to be unlucky like that. Others always seem to get away with it.

Part of it is down to him often getting a mis match. Trying to spoil someone much taller or chase down a speedster. We just need to work out his best role. At the moment it seems like as an intercept defender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t see why we’d bring in Abbott. Ryder and Marshall as a combo is working because they’re both terrific footballers. Abbott is several levels below both.

Most teams in the comp go with one ruckman. If Ryder needs a rest, Marshall can ruck solo.

Could be a management thing for Marshall as well. I wonder how much more taxing a full game as sole ruck is compared to a game where the duty is shared. Could well be a strategy to keep from overworking him.
Plus Abbot by all reports is actually a decent footballer and isn't quite at the Billy Longer level of 'can get a hit out but not much else'. Seems to be capable to take a contested grab and kick a goal.
In the end it wouldn't hurt to give him a run to get some touch and game time into his legs in case we actually do have to depend on him during the rest of the season.

Can certainly see the logic behind it if they decide to rest Ryder and give Abbott a run.

14 possessions, 483 metres gained, 3 tackles , two shots on goal - from a hbf'r- some people are never happy!!!!

By comparison - Long has averaged 13 possessions, 2 tackles and 129 metres gained.
Metres gained...

That's how you are comparing Long and Savage?

Savage has always been able to get big metres gained stats because everytime he gets it it's a long bomb down the line.

He also managed to get 6 turnovers, twice Longs average for the year.

Long is one of our best intercept players averaging almost 7. Savage had 3 last night.

Long is one of our best contested ball winners averaging 7.2. Savage had 4 last night.

Long with an 82% kicking efficiency. Savage had 57%, that's despite most.of his kicks being long which usually result in an effective kick.

Savage wasn't poor by any means, but his game shows exactly why Paton, Long, Coffield etc have gone past him. Just refuses to lower his eyes and hit the target.

Handy depth.

Its about managing their work load when we can! Ryder had ice on to the top of his his right hand after the game, he may be injured plus Ratten has said they will manage him. Against Gold Coast is the perfect game to give Abbott a game and there is no point in killing Marshall during the period.

If guys need a rest I'd be tempted to just rest a heap in one game.

Play a full side this week, bank a win. That takes us to 7 wins, 2 away from finals.

If we have some sore bodies give them a rest against the Cats and come in fresh against the Bombers.

I don't think we'll need to though. We've got a young side and from all reports everyone is pulling up well from the shortened games.

Definitely can't afford to be resting blokes against sides we need to beat to play finals though.

Will be Cat & Mouse games now between teams resting players ...... a classic guessing game as all teams playing with no byes will need to rest players

Which game can you afford to lose by playing 2nd stringers?

Its a fine balance

If guys need a rest I'd be tempted to just rest a heap in one game.

Play a full side this week, bank a win. That takes us to 7 wins, 2 away from finals.

If we have some sore bodies give them a rest against the Cats and come in fresh against the Bombers.

I don't think we'll need to though. We've got a young side and from all reports everyone is pulling up well from the shortened games.

Definitely can't afford to be resting blokes against sides we need to beat to play finals though.
We've already shown we can handle 5 day breaks so there is no need to rest on mass this week anyway.

Could be a management thing for Marshall as well. I wonder how much more taxing a full game as sole ruck is compared to a game where the duty is shared. Could well be a strategy to keep from overworking him.
Plus Abbot by all reports is actually a decent footballer and isn't quite at the Billy Longer level of 'can get a hit out but not much else'. Seems to be capable to take a contested grab and kick a goal.
In the end it wouldn't hurt to give him a run to get some touch and game time into his legs in case we actually do have to depend on him during the rest of the season.

Can certainly see the logic behind it if they decide to rest Ryder and give Abbott a run.
As we know every game is tough and we need to play our best team in every game - I would only change a player if he is suffering soreness or injury.

I'd rather gun the engine now and bank wins. Injury and form will fluctuate and dictate player management. You'd rather a few go down now with soft tissue injuries and get back in time for finals than the other way around. Losing players late would be worse. It's no time to start to flirt with being too smart for our own good.
Agree with this, only thing is if guys have some niggles I would prefer them rested so they don't do a worse injury or come in and not play well because their not 100%.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've already shown we can handle 5 day breaks so there is no need to rest on mass this week anyway.

I think it's more about spreading the load over the coming two games, with the Cats only four days after the Suns. If we had a seven day break after the Suns then yeah, go full strength. But that would leave us not in an ideal place to play the Cats. There seems to be a bigger gap between 4 and 5 day breaks than 6 and 7. Can anyone really play against the Swans and the Suns 5 days later AND the Cats 4 days after that? Getting cherry ripe for fatigue injuries.

$500 fine for Jake. Big deal. Another media beat up.

Got a $500 discount for looking after his own player(Winx), but “look of the game,” you know. 😉
Still, I’ll happily take it and run knowing how trash we are at getting our players off at the tribunal.

Last edited:
Savage was dependable and played his role well however Long is firmly in the best 22 IMO and should replace him. Good defensively, aggressive and he breaks the line offensively which suits our ball movement perfectly.

If Ryder isn’t 100% then replace him with Kent/Ross and back Roma in against Witts. Will be a big test for our midfield without Ryder, we will have to be well prepared to negate Witts potential dominance in the hits out.

Between Battle, King and Membrey we will have enough marking targets targets to stretch Gold Coast, confident one will hit the scoreboard heavily on Thursday.

Its about managing their work load when we can! Ryder had ice on to the top of his his right hand after the game, he may be injured plus Ratten has said they will manage him. Against Gold Coast is the perfect game to give Abbott a game and there is no point in killing Marshall during the period.
I’d be shocked if they did that. There are no indications that Marshall needs a chop out. He already has been getting support in the ruck from a Ryder. Marshall is primed to take the solo ruck spot if Ryder needs a rest.

I don’t think there is going to be as much resting as people expect. Clubs will prioritise a win over resting players who aren’t old.

Metres gained...

That's how you are comparing Long and Savage?

Savage has always been able to get big metres gained stats because everytime he gets it it's a long bomb down the line.

He also managed to get 6 turnovers, twice Longs average for the year.

Long is one of our best intercept players averaging almost 7. Savage had 3 last night.

Long is one of our best contested ball winners averaging 7.2. Savage had 4 last night.

Long with an 82% kicking efficiency. Savage had 57%, that's despite most.of his kicks being long which usually result in an effective kick.

Savage wasn't poor by any means, but his game shows exactly why Paton, Long, Coffield etc have gone past him. Just refuses to lower his eyes and hit the target.

Handy depth.
"Savage wasn't poor by any means". Exactly!!!

As for hitting "targets" - looks to me that our inside 50's strategy is to kick to a position (20 to 40 metres out, directly in front of goal) allow our talls to contest it and utilise the smalls.

You're not seriously suggesting that when virtually every other player gets the ball, wheels and kicks to that spot they are aiming at a specific player.

As for hitting "targets" - looks to me that our inside 50's strategy is to kick to a position (20 to 40 metres out, directly in front of goal) allow our talls to contest it and utilise the smalls.

You're not seriously suggesting that when virtually every other player gets the ball, wheels and kicks to that spot they are aiming at a specific player.
Lol

When did I suggest that?

How many of his 13 kicks were to a spot 20 to 40m from goals though?

I'm reffering to his kicking around the ground. Paton, Long, Coffield, Clark are all able to lower their eyes and hit a target rather then just grab the footy and try and kick the leather off it every time they get it.

It just shows how much of a useless stat metres gained are when you aren't looking at the full picture.

6 turnovers is ridiculously high. Only one player in the comp averages more than that.

It's exactly why these guys are playing senior footy and he wasn't until we had a couple of injuries.

lol richo srsly, you're the director of coaching at melbourne now, it's time to let go

Lol

When did I suggest that?

How many of his 13 kicks were to a spot 20 to 40m from goals though?

I'm reffering to his kicking around the ground. Paton, Long, Coffield, Clark are all able to lower their eyes and hit a target rather then just grab the footy and try and kick the leather off it every time they get it.

It just shows how much of a useless stat metres gained are when you aren't looking at the full picture.

6 turnovers is ridiculously high. Only one player in the comp averages more than that.

It's exactly why these guys are playing senior footy and he wasn't until we had a couple of injuries.
don't waste your energy, if someone can't see the clear reasons why savage isn't in the best 22 anymore no amount of reasoning is going to help. He can't hit a target. Well he can but he refuses to lower the eyes. He had a few games last year when he did and he was really good at it, but then went back to his old tricks. He'd be good in a really wet game taking territory with his long down the line bombs, but other than that he's depth and nothing more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back