Preview Round 10 2020, Richmond vs Brisbane Lions, Metricon Stadium, Tuesday 4th August

Status
Not open for further replies.
THIS IS A GRUDGE MATCH!

Richmond still carries deep mental scars from the 1944 Grand Final. That loss to Fitzroy by 15 points has haunted the club for 76 years and thrown a pall over every one of their subsequent achievements. These scars were made fresh in 1970 when Fitzroy humbled Richmond at the MCG in front of HRH Queen Elizabeth II and her family. Since then, there was a concerted effort on the part of Richmond to destroy Fitzroy Football Club and now the Brisbane Lions. Their evil plan first began to bear fruit at the end of the 1981 Season, when they stole Noel Mugavin from Fitzroy in an attempt to weaken our club, but they failed because while Noel Mugavin had great hair and was comedic in his approach to ball handling, he wasn't one of our elite players. This theft of players continued, however, into the 1990's when Richmond stole Paul Broderick, Michael Gale, Jamie Elliott and Matthew Dundas at the end of the 1993 season. In a further attempt to bring down our club, they gave us Jeff Hogg, who committed numerous acts of sabotage in our forward line. The loss of Alastair Lynch at the end of 1993 and Paul Roos for the 1995 season effectively broke the hearts of Fitzroy supporters, but at Richmond they were filled with glee. After Richmond defeated Fitzroy in 1996 in their last ever game at the MCG by 151 points there was a quiet celebration at Punt Road, as a shadowy group of club officials and bag men celebrated the demise of Fitzroy in a "Mission Accomplished" moment.

Then this happened:

Richmond thought that they had killed Fitzroy, but they had only made us stronger because we had merged our traditions and powers with those of the Brisbane Bears and formed a new club that would dominate the AFL from 2001 - 2004, bringing home 3 Premierships, while Richmond crashed out of finals contention, finishing 14th, 13th and winning the wooden spoon in 2004. THE MENTAL SCARS WERE BACK!

Richmond, driven by a desire for revenge and an army of supporters who only have marginally more teeth per head than the average figures at Collingwood and Port Adelaide, have redoubled their efforts to destroy the Lions and since 2009 they have had us on the ropes. This is all about to change, however, this Tuesday, when Brisbane plays Richmond in a game that will be remembered in the same way that Mohammed Ali's victory over George Foreman was at Kinshasa in 1974. THIS TUESDAY NIGHT WILL BE OUR VERY OWN "RUMBLE IN THE JUNGLE" AS THE LIONS DEFEAT THE TIGERS AND ANNOUNCE TO THE WORLD THAT IN 2020, "WE ARE THE GREATEST!"

The Teams and the Numbers

Both Richmond and Brisbane had strong wins last round and it is instructive to look at some numbers for those games.

Against Footscray it was Dustin Martin who did the damage, with 26 disposals and 3 telling goals, but he was well supported by some lesser known players like Short (21 disposals), and Ross (17 disposals) and stalwarts like Grimes (19 disposals) and Cotchin (17 disposals). Arts was a surprise packet with 3 goals and Castagna was dangerous around goals with a couple. Riewoldt, who has not been in good form snagged a goal in a quiet game and Lynch bobbed up for his customary couple of goals. This was a typical Richmond win. It was methodical, efficient and very much a team effort.

Brisbane won in much the same style against Essendon, with Neale the standout player, amassing 33 disposals and two goals, but being very well supported by a rejuvenated Alex Witherden (25 disposals) Lyons who racked up 22 touches and kicked a goal, Berry who had 19 disposals and gave us amazing drive and Zorko who provided speed and muscle while gathering 19 disposals and kicking a goal. Up forward, Charlie Cameron was DEADLY, kicking 4 goals, the last a gift from first gamer and soon to be CULT FIGURE Ballenden. Though not as obvious, but I think just as important, was Cam Ellis-Yolmen, WHO I AM DUBBING THE NEW MARTIN PIKE!

In terms of competition stats in 2020 it looks like this:
Disposals: Richmond Ranked 7th / Brisbane Ranked 10th
Disposal Efficiency: Richmond Ranked 1st / Brisbane Ranked 15th
Tackles: Brisbane Ranked 2nd / Richmond Ranked 10th
Marks: Brisbane Ranked 3rd / Richmond Ranked 6th
Goals: Brisbane Ranked 2nd / Richmond Ranked 7th
Efficiency Inside 50: Brisbane Ranked 3rd / Richmond Ranked 16th
Tackles Inside 50: Brisbane Ranked 4th / Richmond Ranked 17th

These stats are telling. Richmond are very good at getting the ball and they use it well, particularly when transitioning out of defence. Brisbane will be able to counter this on Tuesday, because we are such an amazing tackling side and the enemy to clean disposal is intense pressure and Brisbane will bring that. McCarthy, Zorko, Bailey, Ah Chee, Rayner and Cameron had 28 tackles between them against Essendon and you can expect the Lions to bring the same tough physical approach on Tuesday. This willingness to tackle and pressure is our trump card inside 50 and our strength in this area is Richmond's greatest weakness.

Then we have our midfield, which is ELITE. We are going to beat Richmond because we are going to get first hands on the ball out of the middle and we are going to HIT THE SCOREBOARD! I'm expecting Cameron to have a massive game, but look out for Cam Rayner, because he is "locked and loaded." Ballenden was great against Essendon and I am expecting Skinner to improve after his first game back from a series of injuries. My only concern is Eric Hipwood, who is the only player we are really "carrying" at the moment. He desperately needs to find form and let's hope it is this Tuesday. In defence, we have Richmond covered, with Andrew's in ALL AUSTRALIAN FORM and Gardiner and Brichall working well. Witherden and Answerth looked fit and hungry against Essendon. On the wings we have Robinson, who is the spiritual leader, the heart and soul of our club and McCluggage who is in contention for ALL AUSTRALIAN in that position. They will rip Richmond to shreds. Fagan says that SQUADS WIN PREMIERSHIPS and I think he is right. This game will be a test, but we have the players to win it.

The Prediction

1596317675355.png

BRISBANE BY 27 Points

#Over50’sClique

Last edited:
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I prefer the lower group of statistics there!

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions

Richmond's efficiency is brutal, if you muck around with the ball or make mistakes they will hit you hard and fast! Last couple of times we have played them they have put Dusty at FF and gone one out, he is very hard to combat, flood the midfield, stop our run and slow us down. Will need a very fit team to have any chance.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Brilliant write up 3KZ well done.
The 2001 Prelim clip good memories.
Some great players in both teams but of course the better team won comfortably and went on to win the GF.
Loved the opening 20 seconds.
Keating to Aker. But then it is the big man Keating zooming past Aker for the handball. Set the tone for the day

A win will be great but i am happy to lose this one and knock them off in the finals.
Will be interesting to see players named for both teams on Monday. Wow that's tomorrow, how time flies.
A win would put us 2.5 games clear of them so that will also be cool.

Got a badfeeling about this one. On top of us only having a 4day break compared to their relatively normal 6 day break we havent been them for ages. Really need to be on our best. Really oping Payne can come in and inflict some pain.

Last edited:

Royce Hafey

Premiership Player
Mar 6, 2013
Point Cook
AFL Club
Richmond
Interesti
THIS IS A GRUDGE MATCH!

Richmond still carries deep mental scars from the 1944 Grand Final. That loss to Fitzroy by 15 points has haunted the club for 76 years and thrown a pall over every one of their subsequent achievements. These scars were made fresh in 1970 when Fitzroy humbled Richmond at the MCG in front of HRH Queen Elizabeth II and her family. Since then, there was a concerted effort on the part of Richmond to destroy Fitzroy Football Club and now the Brisbane Lions. Their evil plan first began to bear fruit at the end of the 1981 Season, when they stole Noel Mugavin from Fitzroy in an attempt to weaken our club, but they failed because while Noel Mugavin had great hair and was comedic in his approach to ball handling, he wasn't one of our elite players. This theft of players continued, however, into the 1990's when Richmond stole Paul Broderick, Michael Gale, Jamie Elliott and Matthew Dundas at the end of the 1993 season. The loss of Alastair Lynch at the end of 1993 and Paul Roos for the 1995 season effectively broke the hearts of Fitzroy supporters, but at Richmond they were filled with glee. After Richmond defeated Fitzroy in 1996 in their last ever game at the MCG by 151 points there was a quiet celebration at Punt Road, as a shadowy group of club officials and bag men celebrated the demise of Fitzroy in a "Mission Accomplished" moment.

Then this happened:

Richmond thought that they had killed Fitzroy, but they had only made us stronger because we had merged our traditions and powers with those of the Brisbane Bears and formed a new club that would dominate the AFL from 2001 - 2004, bringing home 3 Premierships, while Richmond crashed out of finals contention, finishing 14th, 13th and winning the wooden spoon in 2004. THE MENTAL SCARS WERE BACK!

Richmond, driven by a desire for revenge and an army of supporters who only have marginally more teeth per head than the average figures at Collingwood and Port Adelaide, have redoubled their efforts to destroy the Lions and since 2009 they have had us on the ropes, but this is all about to change this Tuesday, when Brisbane plays Richmond in a game that will be remembered in the same way that Mohammed Ali's victory over George Foreman was at Kinshasa in 1974. THIS TUESDAY NIGHT WILL BE OUR VERY OWN "RUMBLE IN THE JUNGLE" AS THE LIONS DEFEAT THE TIGERS AND ANNOUNCE TO THE WORLD THAT IN 2020, "WE ARE THE GREATEST!"

The Teams and the Numbers

Both Richmond and Brisbane had strong wins last round and it is instructive to look at some numbers for those games.

Against Footscray it was Dustin Martin who did the damage, with 26 disposals and 3 telling goals, but he was well supported by some lesser known players like Short (21 disposals), and Ross (17 disposals) and stalwarts like Grimes (19 disposals) and Cotchin (17 disposals). Arts was a surprise packet with 3 goals and Castagna was dangerous around goals with a couple. Riewoldt, who has not been in good form snagged a goal in a quiet game and Lynch bobbed up for his customary couple of goals. This was a typical Richmond win. It was methodical, efficient and very much a team effort.

Brisbane won in much the same style against Essendon, with Neale the standout player, amassing 33 disposals and two goals, but being very well supported by a rejuvenated Alex Witherden (25 disposals) Lyons who racked up 22 touches and kicked a goal, Berry who had 19 disposals and gave us amazing drive and Zorko who provided speed and muscle while gathering 19 disposals and kicking a goal. Up forward, Charlie Cameron was DEADLY, kicking 4 goals, the last a gift from first gamer and soon to be CULT FIGURE Ballenden. Though not as obvious, but I think just as important, was Cam Ellis-Yolmen, WHO I AM DUBBING THE NEW MARTIN PIKE!

These stats are telling. Richmond are very good at getting the ball and they use it well, particularly when transitioning out of defence. Brisbane will be able to counter this on Tuesday, because we are such an amazing tackling side and the enemy to clean disposal is intense pressure and Brisbane will bring that. McCarthy, Zorko, Bailey, Ah Chee, Rayner and Cameron had 28 tackles between them against Essendon and you can expect the Lions to bring the same tough physical approach on Tuesday. This willingness to tackle and pressure is our trump card inside 50 and our strength in this area is Richmond's greatest weakness.

Then we have our midfield, which is ELITE. We are going to beat Richmond because we are going to get first hands on the ball out of the middle and we are going to HIT THE SCOREBOARD! I'm expecting Cameron to have a massive game, but look out for Cam Rayner, because he is "locked and loaded." Ballenden was great against Essendon and I am expecting Skinner to improve after his first game back from a series of injuries. My only concern is Eric Hipwood, who is the only player we are really "carrying" at the moment. He desperately needs to find form and let's hope it is this Tuesday. In defence, we have Richmond covered, with Andrew's in ALL AUSTRALIAN FORM and Gardiner and Brichall working well. Witherden and Answerth looked fit and hungry against Essendon. On the wings we have Robinson, who is the spiritual leader, the heart and soul of our club and McCluggage who is in contention for ALL AUSTRALIAN in that position. They will rip Richmond to shreds. Fagan says that SQUADS WIN PREMIERSHIPS and I think he is right. This game will be a test, but we have the players to win it.

The Prediction

View attachment 925217

BRISBANE BY 27 Points

#Over50’sClique

Interesting preview, but you missed one famous incident between the two clubs a couple of years before that 1944 GF. The story goes that Captain Blood had a meeting with John Curtin where the Captain suggested he should probably join up. Curtin replied that he was much more useful to the war effort playing footy and keeping up morale, but added that his nephew would be playing for Fitzroy that weekend and could Dyer please not hurt him. He went on to break the nephew's collarbone.

Last edited:

Sausages

HIGH PRIEST IN THE TEMPLE OF GG/SNSD
Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
Yeah, it's a bit more than 'just another game/4 points'.....the Tiges have had the wood on us for long enough.....and as Fages always says "if you want to be the best, ya gotta beat the best."

We need to rise to the challenge, take the game on and do our stuff :D

blackers

All Australian
Jan 4, 2002
Kowloon Tong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, Denver Broncos, Liverpool
Things I've learnt from the Richmond preview thread:
1. They're in our heads so they've basically won already...
2. ...but we are the cocky ones.
3. Neale is not worth tagging, sure he gets 51 possessions but what does he do with them?
4. Charlie's barely worth worrying about, any of their defenders can handle him.
5. Our mids are all little and soft.
6. Metricon is our home ground.
Well, they certainly seem to have our number.
This is what I love about Bigfooty, it reminds you how awful your next opponent's supporters are.

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Looking forward to this one.
The main thing I'll be hoping for is Charles (and the delivery to Charles) to be more dynamic than the match last year. The way umps are going he could get a lot of hold calls on Grimes so that could help too. I think the Dees game Charles has his best game for a while.

I don't want to go in with a excuse if we lose pre-conceived.. because I think thats shitty. I reckon the boys will give it a right hot crack and we have every chance of winning with some solid contributions (Ballenden to get 4 goals, McCarthy to get 7)

snooplions

Club Legend
Dec 2, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Things I've learnt from the Richmond preview thread:
1. They're in our heads so they've basically won already...
2. ...but we are the cocky ones.
3. Neale is not worth tagging, sure he gets 51 possessions but what does he do with them?
4. Charlie's barely worth worrying about, any of their defenders can handle him.
5. Our mids are all little and soft.
6. Metricon is our home ground.
Well, they certainly seem to have our number.
This is what I love about Bigfooty, it reminds you how awful your next opponent's supporters are.
I went in there this week. I thought I was in the bay.

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Tracking the trajectory of their careers, this game will be laying the foundation stones and hinting at future greatness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back