Review Round 10, 2020 vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

How good is McKenzie besides the one ice skates moment. Just takes intercept marks, pack marks, haven't had sure hands in defensive 50 since fridge O'Shea but Trent can actually do it all; spoil, jostle, mark, chase, opponents of any size.

Plus a handy 446 metres gained off 13 kicks. Lazy average 34 metres gained per kick. First in our team. Theyre not Andrew Moore dump kicks either. 85% disposal efficency

I dont mind the goal review as most on here. Snicko is there for a reason and if you have a sound, a goal umpire thats called for the review and no clear gap between ball and post its a fair call.

I've stated for years that the umps have the biggest advantage over the cameras by being able to hear if the ball hits anything and so feel it'd be hypocritical to hate on edge.

Would've been a cracking first goal though.

Cripes!
That was painful to sit through.
At least we ground out a four-pointer result. Take it when you can and be thankful.
An extra day's rest before the Tiggers, so hopefully a few of the boys will freshen up and have better games.

Thought a lot of our guys were in and out of the game, not many were consistent, so a lot of improvement to be had.

Defence miserly as ever. Pistol beat English imho. Butters our best mid. Charlie the only decent forward on either side by a country kilometre.

Other than that it was a bit of a cluster**** effort. Tbought midway thru the 3rd quarter our tackle pressure suddenly ratchetted up, and we drew away from them on the back of that.

Hung on a bit in the last 7 or 8 minutes, and got the choccies.

Sad to see Hoff a shadow of his best. Drops easy marks every game now. Misses easy goals. Doesn't chase much any more. Sadly I think he maybe given the option to retire gracefully at year's end.

Robbie also has lost all pace, but still has footy smarts about him.

Thought Woodcock was ok. Will never be a high posession winner, but was calm and measured in everything he did, and never panicked once. Keep in for another game!

Tiges have Soldo and Chol as rucks, so maybe we can go with a duo as well?

Special mentions to Boak (ran a number of Dog's kicks down and sloiled when most of our blokes were content to canter behind their oppo number all night long. And to Duursma for that super courageous mark that nearly took out his captain.

Special mention to the Bulldogs acting academy for dropping to their knees at every chance to milk free kicks. Was poetic justice that Wallis earned a dubious free for a high tackle, then when the ump sent him off for the blood rule, he spat the dummy big time cos he wasn't allowed to take the shot on goal. Should be fined by the AFL for dissent.

How good is McKenzie besides the one ice skates moment.

Plus a handy 446 metres gained off 13 kicks. Lazy average 34 metres gained per kick. First in our team

His kicking from defence is such a major bonus for us and key reason for us conceding low scores. How does a team lock it in their forward half if mckenzie can just roost it 60m out to a contest that Dixon can neutralize.

His kick when he couldnt find an option from about halfway down the wing to dixon inside 50 was incredible. Destroys defensive structures when you can do that.

You should check the Tiges board. They expected us to lose, are fuming and will apparently thrash our pathetic club and wimp Dixon to smithereens 😂

There is literally nothing Tigers fans can say that will make me hate them. They gave me the 2014 elimination final, Jay Schulz and the 2017 Grand Final.

The umpiring was reasonable, we definitely got a few real surprising calls, but s**t the Dogs got away with a lot of throws. The biggest takeaway from the game though was the "playing for a too high free" s**t from the Dogs. * me, I've never seen so many players on a team playing for frees. Literally half that team drops the shoulder and targets a free kick before they even consider what else they might do. Friggin weak as piss. I can only assume they must legitimately train that as a tactic, because it can't be a coincidence they have so many duckers.

Meanwhile Solid win. We were outplayed around the contest for a lot of the night but it didn't feel like our usual losses, it just felt they were too good in there and we needed to find another way. So we found a way to hold up down back and then when we got our chance we maximised the impact of our time in control. Will take win that everyday, but certainly not the convincing win we'd love to see. So Saturdays game becomes the real acid test.

Was great to see Ladhams have a real standout game. Butters was sensational. Dixon was better than his stats. Plus a few other notable mentions. Probably only real disappointment was Farrell who played super soft footy.

Not true.

If they win every game for the rest of the season, we lose every game for the rest of the season and they make up the 88 point percentage difference, they can still finish ahead of us on percentage.
Small problem - the Crows score less goals than Liverpool :).

Surely the dogs are coached to throw their heads in at tackles and drop to the knees to win high contact free kicks. I’ve never seen it so many times from one team. Macrae, Wallis and Dunkley all did it. It stinks - I hate it

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was a gutsy win. Gutsy, gutsy win. True Port Adelaide grit.

First half wasn't pretty at all. Was a game of checkers that we were losing. Our midfield was completely thrashed, even though Ladhams was doing a decent job. All around the ground it seemed they were first to the ball, had more numbers to every contest and if it wasn't for our exceptional backline then we could have easily been 4-5 goals down with the amount of ball going in there.

The thing the Dogs did really well was choke our run in the first half. They almost didn't allow us the chance to play on at all in the first half and that was a major reason why we struggled. Thankfully our midfield pulled their finger out in the third quarter and got on top. We won the contested ball and were finding run on the outside.

That last quarter was tense. It felt for that last 10 minutes that they were just one goal away from going on a run and pinching it, but thankfully we held on.

This win was all down to the backline for me. Take out McKenzie's slip over and they were just about perfect all night. That was the best game Clurey has played, possibly ever. Jonas was exceptional. McKenzie was a beast again, great to have him back. Hartlett, Mayes and Houston were all good. To keep Bruce and Wallis to just 3 kicks and no score for the night, very good effort.

Ladhams was a star in the midfield. He rucked well, was great around the ground and loved his goal. Rocky played a very good in and under game. Ollie was solid around the packs. Rozee and Amon broke free in the second half to have a real impact.

Dixon was excellent up forward. His marking was a highlight. MG got involved but needs to finish off his good work. Robbie with 2 goals was better. I really enjoyed what Woodcock brought to the table.

And then theres Butters. What can you say about the little man. He's just a pure footballer. That effort in the last to dive for the ball between two Dogs, get sandwiched and someone tap the ball into the path of Farrell was magical.

Say what you like about us, but we should be very proud of the team tonight. That was a very good, hard fought win.

PLAYER REVIEWS

Farrell - The seesaw continues with Kane. Was very good last week but found it hard to find time and space tonight. Thought he had an ok third quarter and he kicked the goal that sealed the win but overall he just wasn't getting enough of it.

Clurey - Destroyed Bruce. Bruce didn't have much delivery all night but for the first time in a long time Clurey was outmuscling his opponent and just beating him one on one in every contest they had. His best game for the year, if not his career. Close to BOG.

Woodcock - Looked a bit lost in the first quarter and its a shame his goal was overturned as it was such a clever goal. Really liked what he did after half time. Made the most of his disposal and got involved in a few scoring chains which would be good for his confidence. I'd like to see him stay in and see what more he can do.

Duursma - His outstanding contested mark aside, he was down tonight. Well held.

Houston - Thought he was great in the first half. Positioning was good across half back. Not sure I saw him at all after half time.

Boak - Was well held all night and just couldnt shake the tag at all.

Westhoff - Did some useful things throughout the night. Got involved at the right time. Just needed to kick that goal in the last.

McKenzie - Shaky start but that was literally the only bad thing he did all night. Was a beast in the air, was strong one on one and was a rock down back. Hes a star.

Wines - Unsighted early but got going after 1/4 time and had a decent impact through the second half. A bit sloppy and was double touching a lot of possessions but overall thought he stood up when we needed him to

Jonas - Was great on Wallis. Perfect match up really as Wallis wasn't quick enough to beat him and Jonas could zone off with the high balls going to Bruce and impact those contests. A great captains game.

Georgiades - Didn't continue his goalkicking form from last week but enjoyed the impact he had across half forward. For a kid thats only played 4 games, I thought he looked really good in that true CHF position. Took some strong grabs, just needed to finish off his good work.

Amon - The Dogs did a good job on him in the first half, but as we won more of the ball, he got more into the game and thought he was the catalyst in that third quarter.

Dixon - Was in beast mode on Keath tonight. Made him look second rate. Some ridiculously strong grabs and good kicking for goal. Was great.

Rozee - Despite not getting on the scoreboard I thought he had a decent impact in that third quarter. Started to get more of the ball in the second half and break free, used his agility and run to advantage. Solid game.

Mayes - Will go for a week for his bump which is unfortunate, but really liked his game again. His composure in tense moments is a real highlight. Just doesn't look phased by whats going on out there and just treats every contest as it comes.

DBJ - Thought he was rotten in the first quarter, but was almost faultless after that. Really stood up in the second half.

Gray - The master had some masterful moments tonight. Kicked 2, should have been 3 and had some good moments through the midfield as well. Very good performance

Hartlett - A little sluggish early but was great across half back, pushing up to the wings and driving the ball forward. Has had a big year.

SPP - I'm loving his new found goalkicking. Was tough early, strong through the second half and once again did a great defensive job.

Butters - We are going to run out of superlatives for this kid. He is just pure impact. So good with the ball, he gets in great position. He looks like he should be easier to shut out of the game but he just knows where to be and what to do. Much love.

Ladhams - 3rd good game out of 4. He was excellent in taking the ball out of the ruck and getting it to our midfielders. It was Primus like tonight. Even kicked a great goal too. His work around the ground a highlight.

Rockliff - Was tough in and under tonight. Slow as anything but was tough in the clinches. I still maintain we can't win the premiership without him. Manage him during the year and make sure he's right to go come finals.

Surely the dogs are coached to throw their heads in at tackles and drop to the knees to win high contact free kicks. I’ve never seen it so many times from one team. Macrae, Wallace and Dunkley all did it. It stinks - I hate it

Williams, McLean, Richards. They all do it.

I thought the umpiring wasn’t too bad, a few calls went our way and some went there’s. Pretty even really. But the amount of high frees we gave away was infuriating. Looks like a clear directive at the kennel to duck there way to a few head high tackle frees. Not sure they were all our fault.

How bad was the commentary tonight too, that was some of the most biased I’ve ever heard. Pretty obvious that the chief wanted the dogs to win.

What about Dixon being held by either arm by Wood n Keath on the wing and play on... Dumbstool rockliff is just a ducker... Williams ducks.... You just got get lower as a tackler wtf piggy!? 🤔

Surely the dogs are coached to throw their heads in at tackles and drop to the knees to win high contact free kicks. I’ve never seen it so many times from one team. Macrae, Wallis and Dunkley all did it. It stinks - I hate it

* those ducking campaigners.

Especially * this guy.

3cf2b2bcd78d48fa3aef055f1e053674.jpg

Westhoff - Did some useful things throughout the night. Got involved at the right time. Just needed to kick that goal in the last.
Dunno if your being kind but the Hoff dropped 3 crucial marks tonight, yep he had his moments but overall?

Jonas was seriously good at times.

Woodcock's gunna be really something :D

They're clearly coached to do it. No junior coach and would be allowed to teach junior footballers that for the risk of head injuries at a young a age. I'm certain of that fact.

They're obviously coached how to do it cause so many of them do it, it's not 3 or 4 of them, it's over 10 of their players who do it.

It's actually a disgrace to the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back