Review Round 10, 2020 vs Western Bulldogs

Everyone has a little bias, some worse than others.

The problem that fans of teams like yours have that can screw a little more with their perception is that you have such a massive crowd bias for your home games (apart from Showdowns). This influences both the umpires in these games and the perceptions your fans develop by watching so many of them in your own special single team echo chamber.

Anyone who thinks Port didn't get the better end of the deal from the umpires in Monday evening's match, is kidding themselves.
Those that think Port were hard done by have serious issues.

The only supporter kidding himself here is you.

If you don't think your side benefited massively from its all night throwing, ducking, knee bending, head throwing back charade then your grip on reality is purely imaginary like a Bulldogs handball.

You've had a couple of throws of the dice now whining about the umpires on the Port board. Time to jog on.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Spot on mate. I take an objective view with this sort of stuff as there were many throws and ducks that the Port players got away with. The Bulldogs are one of the fairest, some would say the fairest team and the umpires put them at risk every week - mentally and physically - by allowing head high tackles.

Pretty disgusting really. And if it’s true that the SANFL provided the umpires, the Bulldogs should have refused to take the field for this Port Adelaide love-in.
Such a crap post! I am also objective, in fact very much so to many people's irritation here. But this is just garbage! The Bulldogs were all pushing their heads down in a tackle. If its not trained into them, then for goodness sake, their coaches need to train it OUT of them! The other thing is the throws they got away with. I saw three very clear rugby-style throws, and one clear one-handed fling that they got away with. Port have very quick handballs, but I didnt see one clear throw.

I dont think Port were reamed by the umpires, but it certainly was NOT favoured Ports way, not by a long shot. Biased or corrupt? No, that is silly reactive nonsense. More likely just poor umpiring at times, and confusing constantly changing rules in a very fast game.

As for for SANFL umpires quip ... Get your head out your ass! You know as well as I do that if they used SANFL umpires, then PORT should be the ones complaining, not the dogs! Gimme a break!

Such a crap post! I am also objective, in fact very much so to many people's irritation here. But this is just garbage! The Bulldogs were all pushing their heads down in a tackle. If its not trained into them, then for goodness sake, their coaches need to train it OUT of them! The other thing is the throws they got away with. I saw three very clear rugby-style throws, and one clear one-handed fling that they got away with. Port have very quick handballs, but I didnt see one clear throw.

I dont think Port were reamed by the umpires, but it certainly was NOT favoured Ports way, not by a long shot. Biased or corrupt? No, that is silly reactive nonsense. More likely just poor umpiring at times, and confusing constantly changing rules in a very fast game.

As for for SANFL umpires quip ... Get your head out your ass! You know as well as I do that if they used SANFL umpires, then PORT should be the ones complaining, not the dogs! Gimme a break!
He forgot to insert the sarcasm smiley. ;)

chickentendies

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Mar 26, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

The rule is fine but they're trying to over complicate it, are you happy with the shape of the ball?
They aren’t over complicating it, they are following it to the letter.
If it touches the post even slightly it’s no goal.

Why bother, if it hits the post and goes in, goal. It works on the other side of the same post for a behind.

GoTheMightyCrows

Bigfooty Visionary
Oct 8, 2019
Highland, Albuquerque
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Why bother, if it hits the post and goes in, goal. It works on the other side of the same post for a behind.
What I mean by over complicating it is by introducing stuff like snicko - just let the umpire make a decision and move on until we are happy with the technology that can be done quickly.

What I mean by over complicating it is by introducing stuff like snicko - just let the umpire make a decision and move on until we are happy with the technology that can be done quickly.
I know, but it’s just getting the absolute correct decision and necessary because contact CAN be so minimal.
Remove it and there’s no issue.
what about kicks that are higher than the post and cross at the exact same point?

i know it won’t be changed, but it’s an easy one to change.

The problem that fans of teams like yours have that can screw a little more with their perception is that you have such a massive crowd bias for your home games (apart from Showdowns). This influences both the umpires in these games and the perceptions your fans develop by watching so many of them in your own special single team echo chamber.

Anyone who thinks Port didn't get the better end of the deal from the umpires in Monday evening's match, is kidding themselves.

You are a ******* idiot.

Didn't you start this conversation with 'the Bulldogs are the fairest team in the league and they should get more free kicks than their opposition'? Imagine having such little self-awareness that you can say that unironically in one breath and accuse other people of being biased with the next.

Sep 27, 2004
Burton
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Southampton FC

Absolutely agree

Whats even funnier, is the ball can hit the post and bounce back into the field of play and the team scores a Point despite the ball not crossing the scoring line.

Ah footy

Byron!!!

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2012
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Well let’s hope they all have a career like his.

Unfortunately near impossible to shine as bright without the team having extra salary cap, the full forward on steroids self medicating his tiredness, and the team using IV drips at half time.

But yes, I do hope they each get three flags, a brownlow, a norm smith, and play 300 games :)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Byron!!!

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2012
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I watch a lot of the NFL, where they have video reviews and the technology allows them to use super slow motion with razor sharp focus, so you can see exactly what is happening.

Going from that to the AFL's system is like watching the action from the inside of a fish tank. The video is of such poor quality that I don't believe anyone can credibly claim to see anything definitive in it.

Until they bring the technology up to modern standards, the AFL's video review system is a blight on the game and should be shelved.

NFL is also so start and stop it lends itself to taking the time to make the decision, similar to
Cricket. VFL on the other hand often relies on fast flow and fitness and players hurrying back into position. Precious time wasted on reviews kills game flow and changes the game dynamic.

Oct 7, 2004
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
NFL is also so start and stop it lends itself to taking the time to make the decision, similar to
Cricket. VFL on the other hand often relies on fast flow and fitness and players hurrying back into position. Precious time wasted on reviews kills game flow and changes the game dynamic.

They were more than happy to spend 2-3 minutes viewing every possible camera angle shot from a potato and then going to their faux snicko to "confirm" it hit the post though

Arintaraj

Senior List
Mar 24, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Trying to highlight individual decisions would end up being too long winded and be subjective anyway, so I will use some more general stats to briefly explain my view of last night's umpiring.

The 17 to 14 free kick count may not seem lopsided if you expected such a count should be approximately even. However, the Bulldogs are probably the smallest, least physical team in the league and as a result tend to play annoyingly within the rules. It's not that we are great and fair blokes (although we generally are ;)), but because it's highly unlikely we will benefit from engaging in the extra physical stuff.

Last night Port were understandably the more physically aggressive team and were seemingly happy to run an increased risk of infringing to make sure the Dogs players 'earned' every possession. Which is all fine, but if you play that way you would also reasonably expect to end up behind in the free kick count, not in front.

I think the new roulette wheel style holding the ball interpretations in particular hurt the Dogs a lot more that Port than last night. Port apparently received 7 HTB Frees from 74 tackles, and the Bulldogs received just 1 from 64 tackles. That's a large differential in frees for a small difference in tackles.

In a reasonably close and competitive game, a few key decisions either way can easily impact the result.

Anyway, congrats on the victory and good luck for the rest of the season.

I love this. Not a single concrete example provided. Just a nice logical argument based on lots of tenuous premises and strong dose of denial.

Garibaldi Red

Cancelled
Bring Back the Bars
Jul 22, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Nottingham Forest
Because you asked in good faith I will reply in kind. (Although I recognise I might cop some more flack from others by doing so.)

Trying to highlight individual decisions would end up being too long winded and be subjective anyway, so I will use some more general stats to briefly explain my view of last night's umpiring.

The 17 to 14 free kick count may not seem lopsided if you expected such a count should be approximately even. However, the Bulldogs are probably the smallest, least physical team in the league and as a result tend to play annoyingly within the rules. It's not that we are great and fair blokes (although we generally are ;)), but because it's highly unlikely we will benefit from engaging in the extra physical stuff.

Last night Port were understandably the more physically aggressive team and were seemingly happy to run an increased risk of infringing to make sure the Dogs players 'earned' every possession. Which is all fine, but if you play that way you would also reasonably expect to end up behind in the free kick count, not in front.

I think the new roulette wheel style holding the ball interpretations in particular hurt the Dogs a lot more that Port than last night. Port apparently received 7 HTB Frees from 74 tackles, and the Bulldogs received just 1 from 64 tackles. That's a large differential in frees for a small difference in tackles.

In a reasonably close and competitive game, a few key decisions either way can easily impact the result.

Anyway, congrats on the victory and good luck for the rest of the season.

So you say the Bullies “are probably the smallest, least physical team in the league”.

Could that also be the reason why “the Bulldogs received just 1 from 64 tackles”?Smaller bodies struggling to lay strong tackles on stronger bodies.

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
1597024299564.png

Round 10 Mark of the year.
I voted Charlie .. get your votes in..

Back