Review Round 10, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Richmond

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing zac overrates with himself is his strength, often gets pinged trying to barge through tackles. I like his selfishness in front of goals though, hope he keeps it up coz he nails more than most.

Actually thought that Bailey took the right option. Linc had a Richmond player right behind him.
When he first turned away from goal he had 2 free to his left Dev and Zorks maybe and then Linc and I think Hippy to the other side. Because he was slow to make that decision he took the right option in the end and more importantly kicked the goal.

Actually thought that Bailey took the right option. Linc had a Richmond player right behind him.

I had the same thought that he had been a bit selfish, but both players to the left of the goals were at least reasonably covered by tiges players right behind them as you say, so fair enough not to give it to them.

Watching the replay though I think Dev Robertson was free basically at the top of the goal square on the opposite side - again there was a chance that nearby tiges players could have prevented him scoring so it isn't the most egregious burn that you will see, but it might have been there. It is hard to fire that handball though when you've turned the opposite direction.

I had the same thought that he had been a bit selfish, but both players to the left of the goals were at least reasonably covered by tiges players right behind them as you say, so fair enough not to give it to them.

Watching the replay though I think Dev Robertson was free basically at the top of the goal square on the opposite side - again there was a chance that nearby tiges players could have prevented him scoring so it isn't the most egregious burn that you will see, but it might have been there. It is hard to fire that handball though when you've turned the opposite direction.
It's not selfish if you kick the goal.

I think we overdo the selfless thing on many occasions going forward when being more direct could blow teams apart but being a team ethic it builds trust in the group which has big flow on benefits overall.

You can see the indecision sometimes when guys are thinking I should be giving this off . With more experience and runs and cred on the board we can maybe find a Cyril or Buddy or Eddie Betts where no one questions them when they have a crack.

Even if he, and others, are selfish occasionally it's understandable. They'd have grown up dominating which every team they were in, and youth selectors favour the dominating players.

Takes a long long time to train that out of them. Yet another reason players need a few years in the twos.
Agree 100%. He has been selfish at times in several games and like you say, it will take time to break that habit. It's a common challenge and one he will overcome given more games & guidance. Bailey progressing nicely and should improve incrementally year after year for another 3-4 years.

Even if he, and others, are selfish occasionally it's understandable. They'd have grown up dominating which every team they were in, and youth selectors favour the dominating players.

Takes a long long time to train that out of them. Yet another reason players need a few years in the twos.
I watched the replay back last night.
I think in Bails defence he was running towards Linc, so by the time he looked up the space between him and Linc had had eroded a bit.
Bailey's play is usually beat the first player ortwo and look for a pass , or in this case the pass was no longer on , so he took the shot.
he's young and will access these situations better as he get's maturity.

The other thing I wanted to watch was Matho.
Did some great things, great extraction from the contests, but let himself down at times with a bad kick, possibly too much rage not enough composure imo.
The other thing was his dirty play off the ball with a few chops or slaps around the heads , then add his lippy game , could cost us a few unwanted frees against at a critical time.
I hope someone tells him to get at least the off the ball cheap roughing up away and concentrate on his game.
Do we need to play like grubs to beat the top teams?
If we want him to continue his antagonistic style ( at times) then we have to accept he will antagonise the oppo's players and guess what they will retaliate like Picket did.

I watched the replay back last night.
I think in Bails defence he was running towards Linc, so by the time he looked up the space between him and Linc had had eroded a bit.
Bailey's play is usually beat the first player ortwo and look for a pass , or in this case the pass was no longer on , so he took the shot.
he's young and will access these situations better as he get's maturity.

The other thing I wanted to watch was Matho.
Did some great things, great extraction from the contests, but let himself down at times with a bad kick, possibly too much rage not enough composure imo.
The other thing was his dirty play off the ball with a few chops or slaps around the heads , then add his lippy game , could cost us a few unwanted frees against at a critical time.
I hope someone tells him to get at least the off the ball cheap roughing up away and concentrate on his game.
Do we need to play like grubs to beat the top teams?
If we want him to continue his antagonistic style ( at times) then we have to accept he will antagonise the oppo's players and guess what they will retaliate like Picket did.

Lachie Neale is the gentleman of our team. Almost/never seems to lose an icy focus that doesn't even seem to acknowledge the opposition.

He's been physically targeted by opposition and smashed time and time again. And he has clearly been frustrated by it at times. I wonder what he thinks about having one or two Robbo/matho types on the field?

Obsessive loyalty plus physicality =always going to put the extra effort in to protect their brothers on field. They aren't the most skillful, but skill isn't the only on field characteristic a team needs. Eg Hodge didn't have athleticism at the end, but he was out there for his organisational skills.

I wouldn't want a team full of their feisty-ness, but I will always want one player like that on field. Hell, I want one person like that having my back in everyday life.

When it comes to forwards there can also be such a thing as too unselfish. Sometimes it's better to take the 50/50 chance, than pass off to a teammate who thinks they're open but really isn't. I'd much rather they back themselves in to kick the goal.

When it comes to forwards there can also be such a thing as too unselfish. Sometimes it's better to take the 50/50 chance, than pass off to a teammate who thinks they're open but really isn't. I'd much rather they back themselves in to kick the goal.
Or the old chesnut "just kick the bloody thing yourself!"

Lachie Neale is the gentleman of our team. Almost/never seems to lose an icy focus that doesn't even seem to acknowledge the opposition.

He's been physically targeted by opposition and smashed time and time again. And he has clearly been frustrated by it at times. I wonder what he thinks about having one or two Robbo/matho types on the field?

Obsessive loyalty plus physicality =always going to put the extra effort in to protect their brothers on field. They aren't the most skillful, but skill isn't the only on field characteristic a team needs. Eg Hodge didn't have athleticism at the end, but he was out there for his organisational skills.

I wouldn't want a team full of their feisty-ness, but I will always want one player like that on field. Hell, I want one person like that having my back in everyday life.
Dont think anyone was talking the way you described in your post. 99% of the time Robbo is always in check while playing a physical game and will always have team mates back as you say. Rhys is not in the same category with his "look at me" behaviour at times. I am sure the club has/will address it if it goes on for too long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. Sometimes the pass is just as risky as the shot on goal.

Dont think anyone was talking the way you described in your post. 99% of the time Robbo is always in check while playing a physical game and will always have team mates back as you say. Rhys is not in the same category with his "look at me" behaviour at times. I am sure the club has/will address it if it goes on for too long.
Agree with what your saying.
And further to Gadzorks post If possibly the situation was were L. Neale was being hammered, pinched, punched like in say the Port game last year or those other games I would most likely be applauding some of Matho's antics if it was in defence of Neale.
But this wasn't the case.

Agreed. Sometimes the pass is just as risky as the shot on goal.
2 actions. You have to execute the pass and the receiver has to execute the shot. That's on top of whether your decision to pass puts the team in a better position anyway.

I don't think we've got it quite right yet . No one wants to be accused of being selfish, it's a fine line between selfishness and confidence.

Can we please put the issue of Zac being selfish /unselfish aside and just enjoy his performances because he has been simply AWESOME, don’t change who you are Zac, just be yourself because I am loving watching you play and what you bring to the team.

Last edited:
Can we please put the issue of Zac being selfish /unselfish aside and just enjoy his performances because he has been simply AWESOME, don’t change who you are Zac, just be yourself because I am loving watching you play and what you bring to the team.

He's been awesome - nobody is saying he isn't. It's also normal for players to have to train the habit of passing when they should - forwards in particular. There's nothing wrong in saying Zac has areas for improvement.

I dont get what you are saying here. Nobody is saying Bailey hasn't been good & entertaining. Are you saying you dont want to see him improve and become a better footballer?
If you dont want him to evolve into a better/smarter/more unselfish footballer, our opposition will work him out pretty quickly and he will almost be taken out of the game all together. ALL players on our list need to improve if we are to win a flag...including Bailey.

Back