Review Round 10 2021 - GWS Giants v West Coast Eagles, 1.10 pm @ Giants Stadium, Sun 23 May

Remove this Banner Ad

That was an awesome win.

Although there were so many short kicks that bounced just before their target and kicks that were intercepted - almost drove me barmy.

Harry Himmelberg often did too much, turning into trouble instead of taking the first option - but nevertheless did some crucial link-up play.

Sam Taylor and Callan Ward - just brilliant.

Thought the Weagles would overrun us but the Giants hung on brilliantly.

Watching at the ground it didn't seem like players were running A lot, so I wasn't surprised they didn't tire in the last quarter.
That was an awesome win.

Although there were so many short kicks that bounced just before their target and kicks that were intercepted - almost drove me barmy.

Harry Himmelberg often did too much, turning into trouble instead of taking the first option - but nevertheless did some crucial link-up play.

Sam Taylor and Callan Ward - just brilliant.

The 8 is now set.

It’s really just a question of playing for intra-8 order.

I know this for a fact because every VFL cheerleader - sorry, journalist - says it every single day.

I’m really looking forward to our belting Ninth-mond in R22 as part of our finals preparation.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Finlayson is maligned, but gee is he turning into a very handy forward.

Jezza is a bit like a NASA rocket.

He’s generally blasts into the stratosphere within a few minutes of launch, or, he fails to ignite while a team of scientists wade through the complexity to try to work out what went wrong.

Happily it’s mainly the former and today he was fully supersonic from the first bounce.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I never got the sense they had our measure. We traded goals for three quarters and then over-ran them.

A very good win given all the injuries.

He just feels the need to contribute on the scoreboard ... when he can’t convert it plays with his head

People don't like his negative body language but the way I look at it is it shows he actually gives a s**t and he always flies the flag for team mates that shows he is a team oriented player. But he also knows he has match winning ability and wants to use it at every chance. It's a fine line to get right and not be called selfish. The more games he plays the more his confidence grows and gets better at understanding what he can and can't do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS GIANTS

The Giants probably should’ve won by more, such was their dominance in general play, but that doesn’t take any shine off the phenomenal effort on display against a potential top four team for the second week straight. Didn’t do much wrong at all and thoroughly deserve to be in the top eight. What a great resurgence from them after starting the season looking well adrift.

In the votes

The usual suspects were good through the middle - Callan Ward, Jacob Hopper and the like. Tom Green is an absolute star in the making while Jeremy Finlayson kicked three goals. Zach Sproule, Matt Flynn ... the list goes on. A great team performance.

Room for improvement

Not converting some of their dominance kept the Eagles in the running for much of the game but that’s virtually the only negative in an otherwise perfect performance.

Grade

A

Really good win.
To go 5-2 with our injury list as been a terrific.effort.
Whoever was on darling did a very good job I thought
It was Buckley.
He had a terrific game, even when it came fast he did a good job in not letting Darling get a good run at it.

I gave him points in the MVP.

Our young backs are really coming along.

I dont have to tell anyone here how good Taylor is, but Idun and Buckley are starting to look really handy.

Indeed - Jack Buckley has been an absolute revelation since moving into the backline (out of necessity!). But you can add that Sam Taylor has been outstanding, Connor Idun developing very well, and Lachie Ash has been tremendous. In fact, the most junior and inexperienced element within our team has been outstanding this year when their overall experience is taken into account. We have rarely lost the games because of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back