Autopsy Round 10, 2021: Western Bulldogs v St.Kilda *BATTLE 50TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Is the Andrew Lovett trade the worst trade in VFL/AFL history?
A first round draft pick for a player that was stood down without playing a single match for the club.
Could any other club make such a horrible mistake?

Collingwood Beames and Gibbs to Adelaide were pretty turd worthy.

Just out of interest didn’t every single club miss them but we should have drafted all 3 the year before any other club picked them.

Well he suggested we should get all of them. If we had any ability to identify talent we could have got them.

Imagine being so horrible at footy you gave the opposition team covid....
Maybe we were just social distancing and that’s why we didn’t tackle them.

100% spot on
I disagree
No chance you go into a year thinking you can contend for a flag with Max king as your best forward and Wilkie as your second best back.

We were always
1 elite mid
1 elite back away from being a top 4 team and that is if no one got injured ever.

And our depth was speculative at best.

also can’t rely on a 20yr old to carry the teams forward line...we won’t be anywhere near top 4 till 2023-24. It’s so obvious.

to think the club thought an injury prone hannebury and Jones was going to carry stkilda to a flag is laughable...please

Imagine being so horrible at footy you gave the opposition team covid....

Sometimes pays to be second to the ball

u1vPdsk.jpg

By virtue of his age, I would think Frawley was only ever going to be a stop gap - one year at the most to cover for Carlisle whilst we tried to sort out a future defender. I’d be staggered if he played on next year.
Didn't we try for Jack Pane from Brisbane with no success. And I'm sure we enquired about a few others.

Unfortunately it doesnt look like there are many on the market this year. We will need to get creative because thats the biggest question mark in our best 22 right now.

I disagree
No chance you go into a year thinking you can contend for a flag with Max king as your best forward and Wilkie as your second best back.

We were always
1 elite mid
1 elite back away from being a top 4 team and that is if no one got injured ever.

And our depth was speculative at best.

also can’t rely on a 20yr old to carry the teams forward line...we won’t be anywhere near top 4 till 2023-24. It’s so obvious.

to think the club thought an injury prone hannebury and Jones was going to carry stkilda to a flag is laughable...please

To me it looks as if the club don't know what each other are doing still. The footy department is still bluffing the board that everything is flying along and in reality they are trying to patch holes in the Titanic to get it back to port.
Our side doesn't look close to a premiership right now, it can change quickly but unless you absolutely arse one like the Dogs, s**t sides don't win premierships. Like the fans the club got ahead of themselves after an unexpected rise up the ladder........or they were happy to sell false hope to sell memberships but when it's bit them on the bum they are ducking and weaving.

Our side doesn't look close to a premiership right now, it can change quickly

When Dees shat the bed the year after making the prelims in 2018, I doubt any of their fans thought they’d be where they are now just two seasons later.

So there’s hope.

When Dees shat the bed the year after making the prelims in 2018, I doubt any of their fans thought they’d be where they are now just two seasons later.

So there’s hope.
There’s always hope - every season is different. You really can’t look at one season and use that to determine what happens next.

Well he suggested we should get all of them. If we had any ability to identify talent we could have got them.
Yep if you say 80 then you will be right. And if every other club had the ability to identify talent they would have also got them when first available but continue on your merry way of knocking. Just out of interest just tell me how we get Ryan in the year he was drafted. Just need that info or should have been the year before when no one took him. 18 clubs said no.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was not one person I worked with or met that liked Bruce at the football club. He was and is a total w****r.
I remember talking to a ONE EYED dees supporter I worked with who honestly said he’d rather have Jack Watts in his team than Dustin Martin because Jack was a good private school boy who treated people with respect.

Now putting his pretty obvious blind biased for the long of coke and **** aside, a huge percentage of the greats have been flogs for different reasons.

Carey, Martin, Matthews, Ablett Snr have all done some pretty questionable stuff.

Sydney’s famous “no dickhead policy” famously didn’t extend to Barry Hall, Nick Davis, Buddy Franklin (all famed Dick heads in their time).

West Coast won a flag with a team full of druggies.

RICHMOND has had a bunch of off field issues in the last 4 years.

My point is in sport winning is quite literally the only goal and a bloke we moved on is now equal second in the Coleman because people didn’t like him...

Give me 40 absolute dickheads and win me a flag, I don’t give a rats ass about the character of the person and if they don’t do anything bad enough to warrant suspension etc. then who cares.

To me it looks as if the club don't know what each other are doing still. The footy department is still bluffing the board that everything is flying along and in reality they are trying to patch holes in the Titanic to get it back to port.
Our side doesn't look close to a premiership right now, it can change quickly but unless you absolutely arse one like the Dogs, sh*t sides don't win premierships. Like the fans the club got ahead of themselves after an unexpected rise up the ladder........or they were happy to sell false hope to sell memberships but when it's bit them on the bum they are ducking and weaving.
I agree we are playing like s*** atm, but this team playing at its peak (as the Doggies were on Saturday night) is good enough to win a premiership.

B Wilkie Howard Paton

HB Coffield Carlisle Sinclair

C Hill Steele Billings

HF Butler Membrey Gresham

F Higgins King Marshall

Foll Ryder Crouch Jones

Int Clark Hannebery Ross Battle

Unfortunately ATM - Paton, Carlisle, Gresham, Marshall Jones and Hanners are injured and Coffield, Hill, Butler and Higgins are so out of form they all would struggle to get a kick at Sandy

I remember talking to a ONE EYED dees supporter I worked with who honestly said he’d rather have Jack Watts in his team than Dustin Martin because Jack was a good private school boy who treated people with respect.

Now putting his pretty obvious blind biased for the long of coke and **** aside, a huge percentage of the greats have been flogs for different reasons.

Carey, Martin, Matthews, Ablett Snr have all done some pretty questionable stuff.

Sydney’s famous “no dickhead policy” famously didn’t extend to Barry Hall, Nick Davis, Buddy Franklin (all famed Dick heads in their time).

West Coast won a flag with a team full of druggies.

RICHMOND has had a bunch of off field issues in the last 4 years.

My point is in sport winning is quite literally the only goal and a bloke we moved on is now equal second in the Coleman because people didn’t like him...

Give me 40 absolute dickheads and win me a flag, I don’t give a rats ass about the character of the person and if they don’t do anything bad enough to warrant suspension etc. then who cares.

Can anyone actually name any questionable stuff that dusty Martin has done? It's all been innuendo and rumour, he has never actually done anything. You don't hear anything about him, just his dad. He's never in the paper unless it's about footy (take chopsticks out, because that was proven to be false). He likes to get away at the end of the year, but you only hear rumours about what he does, you don't see and videos of him racking up lines off strippers tips or anything close to that.

He's like a tattooed version of Gary ablett junior, just because his dad has a troubled past, doesn't mean he does as well. Never understood the logic of treating people by what they look like or who their associated with.

So there’s hope.

That's true but they had a better core IMO, they had Gawn, Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw who'd come close to a Brownlow etc. They had a horror run with injuries like us with so many going down and their forwards kicking them out of games. It sounds familiar but we are coming off a skinnier base. I actually hope we use this period like they did and draft players. They absolutely nailed their picks which helps and has created real depth. It's a shame we don't have a second round pick again. Perhaps we could find a club with academy players and trade up.

Can anyone actually name any questionable stuff that dusty Martin has done? It's all been innuendo and rumour, he has never actually done anything. You don't hear anything about him, just his dad. He's never in the paper unless it's about footy (take chopsticks out, because that was proven to be false). He likes to get away at the end of the year, but you only hear rumours about what he does, you don't see and videos of him racking up lines off strippers tips or anything close to that.

He's like a tattooed version of Gary ablett junior, just because his dad has a troubled past, doesn't mean he does as well. Never understood the logic of treating people by what they look like or who their associated with.

Ironic that Jack Watts is wanted by the cops too. I used to see young Dusty around getting absolutely smashed. I saw him and a few ex Richmond guys like Connors so drunk they could hardly walk at 7.30 am in St Kilda drinking out of a goon bag that they were passing around....a couple of days before a game, he'd be out at nightclubs and stuff too. He was pretty loose when he was young but so was Dane Swan.

There was a reason no-one wanted him when he was told to shop himself if he wanted to. He's been a model citizen since then though. My Richmond mate said he'd win a Brownlow 2 years in so he was already showing masses of potential early.

One thing that doesn't seem to have got a mention after Saturdays game is how poor Dougal Howard was in some one on one contests with Naughton.

I can excuse it when Naughton is leading or gets a run for a mark but Doogs was completely outclassed on a number of occasions in a simple body on body contest where he had a clear weight and height advantage.

One thing that doesn't seem to have got a mention after Saturdays game is how poor Dougal Howard was in some one on one contests with Naughton.

I can excuse it when Naughton is leading or gets a run for a mark but Doogs was completely outclassed on a number of occasions in a simple body on body contest where he had a clear weight and height advantage.

this 100%

and its not a one-off either, he has been regularly caught out on a lead

Listen mate any Aussie rules player is tough, no worries, and I don't mean timid as an antonym to tough. In terms of leading a group, how vocal and expressive are they. When some drops the standard what do they do?

Any player can take it to their enemy. How do these guys deal with their comrades?
Well mate, you made the statement that they are timid!! I just read it how it was written. How do you know they are not talking and directing the players on the field? what do you want, Goddard or a Heath Shaw type yelling and screaming at their team mates? No Thanks! So in your assessment we need to sack Steele and Geary as captains as they are too timid. Any suggestions Eddie expert on who takes over??
On another note, your quote " Any player can take it to their enemy" Can you tell that to one of highest payed players please. Cheers.

Well mate, you made the statement that they are timid!! I just read it how it was written. How do you know they are not talking and directing the players on the field? what do you want, Goddard or a Heath Shaw type yelling and screaming at their team mates? No Thanks! So in your assessment we need to sack Steele and Geary as captains as they are too timid. Any suggestions Eddie expert on who takes over??
On another note, your quote " Any player can take it to their enemy" Can you tell that to one of highest payed players please. Cheers.
Do you really think he was suggesting sacking them? He’s saying they need to speak up. I’m not very good with analogies you’ll have to ask Gringo but something about the horse and cart and fixing the wheel. Put the rest together.

Our playing group needs a line in the sand moment. Not in field but in the changing room. There are some not negotiables they need to agree on and be 100 percent accountable for and that becomes the start of culture.
Clearly they have drunk their own koolaid and now need to go back and build these not negotiables. 3 strikes and you are out of the team do it enough you are out of the club.

We need to re-establish a culture and it starts with the coach throwing players under the bus for non performance.

Now that Bassett has his feet under the desk. Start with a complete review of the club Football Dept down.

It is time to get ruthless with how we go about our football from drafting, player development, game day tactics and fitness.

There are some players that need a rocket and they are some of our highly regarded.
Clarke chase or clean out your locker you are being shown up by a 4 game player...

I can understand why we drafted McKernan but he is a spud watched him in a Sandy game bloody selfish acts in every qtr. Goodbye
Same with Wood known quantity and it is not high...would have been better to take and hold Mitch Brown when he was at Sandy and probably contributes more than Wood even today.

If Billings wants to go and we get a first rounder from him then do so and I wish him well.

Same with Clarke get the feeling he is a bit one paced but sublime skills when he decides to do so. Need to do it all the time my friend no picking or choosing just do something.Do not wish to commit then off you go. Think he is a beauty but needs to realise that AFL is not all on his terms.

Going to be a bumper draft... time to get not just bold but ruthless.

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back