Preview Round 10, 2021: Western Bulldogs v St.Kilda - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 22nd May, 7:25PM AEST *BATTLE 50TH*

Who Wins?

• Bulldogs

Votes: 39 60.0%
  • Saints

Votes: 26 40.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue
Lonies last 4 games against the dogs he's averaged 17 disposals, kicked 8.5 and taken 12 marks inside 50.

Maybe Geary comes in as a pressure forward instead, but I think we need to keep that forward pressure up some how if Lonie goes out… was a big a part of us having so many looks at goal early last week. Butler was huge with 32 PA and 7 tackles, the hollywood stuff probably clouded how good his pressure was.

Last edited:

LiterallyNobody

Cancelled due to poster being a Campaigner
30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
Lonies last 4 games against the dogs he's averaged 17 disposals, kicked 8.5 and taken 12 marks inside 50.

Maybe Geary comes in as a pressure forward instead, but I think we need to keep that forward pressure up some how if Lonie goes out… was big a part of us having so many looks at goal early last week. Butler was huge with 32 PA and 7 tackles, the hollywood stuff probably clouded how good his pressure was.
I really wish someone would clip him over the ear and say “do the basics - quit with the Hollywood bullshit”

LiterallyNobody

30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
Shame Hunter's back in, but English is the really important one imo.
English improves their structure and gives them a third tall focal point up forward.

their midfield will cut ours to shreds. I know we said this all last week but I just don’t see how we compete with them?

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
English improves their structure and gives them a third tall focal point up forward.

their midfield will cut ours to shreds. I know we said this all last week but I just don’t see how we compete with them?
That exact same comment is made every time we play them, yet we've beaten them the past 3 times.

LiterallyNobody

Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
Telling a small forward to stop the Hollywood bullshit is like telling a full-back to be more exciting, just not in their makeup.
I don’t mind the air kick late in n the game. Eddie did that two weeks ago and it was remarkable. I’m talking about his behind the head handballs to players that aren’t as clever as he thinks he is and aren’t expecting it.
His pressure actually was fantastic on the weekend and unfortunately nobody ever notices pressure acts.
Just like Hill and Jones I would prefer if he found his form back in the ones as it does us no good doing it in the twos.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco

Bring the same tackling pressure we brought against the Cats and we can compete with them, they folded against Richmond when they upped their tackling pressure against them in the 2nd half a couple of weeks ago.

Obviously we need to take our chances in front of goal a lot better than we did against the Cats. not only are Richmond great at bringing pressure to create turnovers but they are also great at converting it into goals on the scoreboard. Scoreboard pressure is just as important as tackling pressure.

Last edited:

LiterallyNobody

Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
That exact same comment is made every time we play them, yet we've beaten them the past 3 times.
fair point. We do match up well on them. although they seem a lot better drilled than they have been the last three years. Reckon they might be a chance of winning a final this year...

LiterallyNobody

Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
Bring the same tackling pressure we brought against the Cats and we can compete with them, they folded against Richmond when they upped their tackling pressure against them n the 2nd half a couple of weeks ago.

Obviously we need to take our chances in front of goal a lot better than we did against the Cats. not only are Richmond great at bringing pressure to create turnovers but they are also great at converting it into goals on the scoreboard. Scoreboard pressure is just as important as tackling pressure.
Two very good points.

As a matter of fact I think the scoreboard pressure is even more important. If we were 8-6 at half time last week it’s a much better position to be in and we didn’t drop the intensity in the third quarter so we may have been able to pile on some more. Maybe.

LiterallyNobody

Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
Shame Hunter's back in, but English is the really important one imo.
I almost threw up in my mouth when I read this and then realised you meant THEIR Hunter. That’s still s**t but less s**t than having Hunter in.

LiterallyNobody

Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
Is our Hunter that bad as a backup? He might not be the best ruck going around but he seems a bit handy up forward. McKernan seems to get the brain fades.
Personally I’d like not to see either of them but I doubt that will happen.

I can imagine Dunstan chasing after a fast small forward to Benny Hill music.
I heard similar disparaging comments made about Brent Guerra in this forum before we delisted him and the Hawks picked him up. The Hawks turned him into a two time premiership winner when Clarkson maximized his potential. I feel it in my bones that the Saints will follow the same path with Dunstan. Bookmark it.

Jun 17, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I really wish someone would clip him over the ear and say “do the basics - quit with the Hollywood bullshit”

Wasn't that one of the criticisms directed at Butler before arriving to us? A good player, but a bit selfish at times especially around goal, and goes for the highlight rather than a pass.
I like a bit of X factor in a player though, and in Butler's defence he does the small things right 90% of the time. I don't think he's selfish by any means, but is guilty of trying to do too much and get reward for it, rather than go for the better option. That's a game awareness problem. He might be another guy that might need a bit of sport psych mindfulness. In fact the entire forward line I think could do with a few group sessions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back