Review Round 10, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Gunston looked half decent when he got up to the wings In the third. Kicking let him down but maybe he can work on that

Agree he kicked one and was involved in at least two goal chains, wonder how many goal assists he had. Was ever present in the back line too in the last. He may not be fast but he was certainly getting about (13 marks/16 kicks), a true utility. Lachie even acknowledged the work he and Hipwood do in brining the ball to ground for the smalls in the interview after the game (I admit I was a bit harsh on Hippy in the game day thread). Talking of smalls I think maybe Charlie needs a run in the twos to get his confidence back. ;)

Last edited:
Lester was great but I think having him and Rich in the same back line will be too slow. In fact with the addition of Sharp and low injuries the guys in the VFL must be getting the message that if your tank isn't up to it you probably won't get a run.

Lester was great but I think having him and Rich in the same back line will be too slow. In fact with the addition of Sharp and low injuries the guys in the VFL must be getting the message that if your tank isn't up to it you probably won't get a run.
Looks like Coleman is struggling to run out games, I dont remember him having this problem last year?

Speaking of Paiynes 😂
Payne Haas was at the game last night.
tCgBOpglqgg478AIy9wYfZ7choY.jpg

Hi All, with Richmond’s season over last night… I’ve turned all my attention to SuperCoach. Sharp hold his spot going forward?

Hi All, with Richmond’s season over last night… I’ve turned all my attention to SuperCoach. Sharp hold his spot going forward?
Hope so was really stiff to be subbed at 3/4 time relegated me to 2nd in a Draft stars contest. Given his aerobic ability it's the 2nd half where he comes to the fore.

Ah Chee his main rival for the wing spot, but both could miss when Rich returns if the elect to play Wilmot on the wing.

Good luck! 🙂

one of the best performances i can recall from our midfield. everyone played great games on top of neutering rowell + anderson

that patch when daniher went into the ruck in the third and everything he did turned to gold - thats the kind of 5 minute magic that can be the difference in a close final

Agree he kicked one and was involved in at least two goal chains, wonder how many goal assists he had. Was ever present in the back line too in the last. He may not be fast but he was certainly getting about (13 marks/16 kicks), a true utility. Lachie even acknowledged the work he and Hipwood do in brining the ball to ground for the smalls in the interview after the game (I admit I was a bit harsh on Hippy in the game day thread). Talking of smalls I think maybe Charlie needs a run in the twos to get his confidence back. ;)

Hippy got beaten but by arguably the best interceptor in the game right now in Ballard. Have watched other Suns’ games and Ballard towels up anyone he’s on through his amazing intercept work. It’s disgustingly good and even though I would’ve liked to see Hippy do a bit better in that matchup he still made an impact in other areas and kicked true when we needed it in the last quarter.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

/

Where was the incident?, I didn't see it on coverage. Did Holman lay a big tackle on Ash?
From what I recall, it was early in the last quarter, Prince Charming had recieved the ball and was running along the edge of the square and had just kicked it when Holman came head on and collected him high. The umpire blew his whistle to award the free, but lions played on to advantage. Then both Ashcroft and Holman were on the ground having a good old wrestle, and were soon joined by Starcevich. Haven't been able to watch the replay yet. But Dermmie was happy with him

(Ashcroft) might come from Brighton Grammar and he might look like a choir boy. But did you see when Starcevich came in against Holman and it was a two on one, he went back at it again,” Hawks legend Dermott Brereton said on Fox Footy.
“He thought the odds are in my favour now, I’m going in for a free shot! Don’t worry about him coming from the private school system, he’s got a bit of street dog in him
.”

Lester seems like the logical out for Rich.

I love rich but I don't want to drop Lester.

Coleman offers better ground coverage attacking than rich, as does McKenna.

Fitting rich back in is tough.

Lester seems like the logical out for Rich.

I love rich but I don't want to drop Lester.

Coleman offers better ground coverage attacking than rich, as does McKenna.

Fitting rich back in is tough.
Lester is playing as the third tall and he is not going to be replaced by Rich. Rich can only come in for a smaller defender and I would not be dropping Wilmot for him and if Coleman is injured, I’d select Ah Chee before Rich. Rich might need to earn his place. He might need a few games in the reserves.

Half of those kicks and marks were junk time in the last quarter when he was playing kick-to-kick with Harris. Yes he kicked a goal and made some good contributions, but he wasn't accountable, especially in the first half and his oppenent ran-off him too many times. And has been happening for the past three weeks. The bombers did this consitantly last week. It may hold-up now, when we are winning by 40+ and playing teams in 10-18, but against the likes of Lever and May it will cost us more.

This was the highlight of the night.

And the singing of Country Roads well after the song had stopped and play had re commenced.
It lifted the stadium and the team as a while I think, it was a buzz there for a while.

The crowd singing long after the song had already been faded down - that effort got my sixth vote for them, well done crowd

Lester is playing as the third tall and he is not going to be replaced by Rich. Rich can only come in for a smaller defender and I would not be dropping Wilmot for him and if Coleman is injured, I’d select Ah Chee before Rich. Rich might need to earn his place. He might need a few games in the reserves.
Has Richy ever played a reserves game? I know he came straight in to the senior side in his first season as a Lion and didn't miss a game for that whole season.

The crowd singing long after the song had already been faded down - that effort got my sixth vote for them, well done crowd

Don't know if the different song for his first goal was a mistake, or they just realised it was a mistake from the audience reaction and changed back.

Back