Review Round 10, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't know if the different song for his first goal was a mistake, or they just realised it was a mistake from the audience reaction and changed back.
Clearly not a mistake, Charlie likes to change it up in indigenous round, played Black Boy by Coloured Stone for the first one. Played an Archie Roach song last year after the great man passed away.

Nice photo with Papa Fages hiding in the middle down the back.
r10-report.png

We haven't had that big bodied inside mid since Jarrad Jansen started with his back towards goal in 2016:think:... finally in Josh Dunkley who have found someone to fill the massive hole left by Jarrad.

Jarrad Jansen 192cm, 94kg.

Josh Dunkley 191cm, 87kg.

One factor that was encouraging was McInerney's rebound in the second half. Witts was comfortably on top in the first half, but I felt O fought back in the second, and not only got his hands to more taps, but also did a bit around the ground. Shame he couldn't kick a goal.

Shout out to the smothered handballs (again).

Sharp was stiff to be subbed off (surely only for matchup reasons) - he's defintely building.

Starc and Clug back close to their form of past years.

Loving what PaYne is doing now too - one-handed marks, running to support, and backing his skills. Clearly a handful for any key forward.

As others have said, for all of our momentum at the moment, we're largely invisible to the melbourne media. Pathetic (but good).

Half of those kicks and marks were junk time in the last quarter when he was playing kick-to-kick with Harris. Yes he kicked a goal and made some good contributions, but he wasn't accountable, especially in the first half and his oppenent ran-off him too many times. And has been happening for the past three weeks. The bombers did this consitantly last week. It may hold-up now, when we are winning by 40+ and playing teams in 10-18, but against the likes of Lever and May it will cost us more.

What you have to understand with Gunston is he a lead up forward (something we don't have another of), and a very clever one. When we just bomb the ball into the forward line, as we did early, he's always going to struggle. He's not a defensive forward, he's an attacking forward. He leads away from the fall of the ball to try open up the forward line so we don't have three talls and their defenders all flying for the same ball and spoiling each other like last year. He tries to drag his opponent with him, but it doesn't always work; and if our mids/wings aren't lowering their eyes to look for his leads then there's not much he can do, Fagan noted this weeks ago. Making space for Joe and Hipwood whilst offering up a different option is what he is doing, and he does it well. Even Charlie has been singing his praises. I'm not claiming he's perfect but he's nowhere near the liability some are making out.

Marcus Ashcroft medal votes :
Lachie Neale 8
Josh Dunkley 5
Will Ashcroft 3
Joe Daniher 1
Bailey Humphrey 1

So that works out to be :
Judge 1 : Neale, Dunkley, Daniher
Judge 2 : Dunkley, Neale, Ashcroft
Judge 3 : Neale, Ashcroft, Humphrey

The 3 judges were Michael Whiting, Alastair Lynch, Quentin Hull (ABC)

Marcus Ashcroft medal votes :
Lachie Neale 8
Josh Dunkley 5
Will Ashcroft 3
Joe Daniher 1
Bailey Humphrey 1

So that works out to be :
Judge 1 : Neale, Dunkley, Daniher
Judge 2 : Dunkley, Neale, Ashcroft
Judge 3 : Neale, Ashcroft, Humphrey

The 3 judges were Michael Whiting, Alastair Lynch, Quentin Hull (ABC)

We'll find out Fish's votes on The Roar Deal this week.

What you have to understand with Gunston is he a lead up forward (something we don't have another of), and a very clever one. When we just bomb the ball into the forward line, as we did early, he's always going to struggle. He's not a defensive forward, he's an attacking forward. He leads away from the fall of the ball to try open up the forward line so we don't have three talls and their defenders all flying for the same ball and spoiling each other like last year. He tries to drag his opponent with him, but it doesn't always work; and if our mids/wings aren't lowering their eyes to look for his leads then there's not much he can do, Fagan noted this weeks ago. Making space for Joe and Hipwood whilst offering up a different option is what he is doing, and he does it well. Even Charlie has been singing his praises. I'm not claiming he's perfect but he's nowhere near the liability some are making out.

He just doesn't suit how the rest of our team plays and there were comments on this board that said he somehow would change how we moved the ball but he hasn't and it isn't likely to happen. We're not a skill full or quick team.

Prime example. Joe wins a brilliant centre clearance and kicks it to a 1 on 1 20m from goal but Gunston is outmarked. That should be the perfect situation for any forward to either Mark it or bring the ball to ground level where we have even numbers

Do we carry someone who's only suited to 1 in 20 inside 50s and coughs it up half the time?

I thought Harris and Starce were good down back.

Had them in my votes. Neither in votes of afl.com.au

I wonder with Harris, maybe his elite intercept marking and spoiling, he’s sometimes left out of the best, as he’s just expected to do it every week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Harris and Starce were good down back.

Had them in my votes. Neither in votes of afl.com.au

I wonder with Harris, maybe his elite intercept marking and spoiling, he’s sometimes left out of the best, as he’s just expected to do it every week.

Yeah, I thought Harris had an average night by his standards (which are high). Just was a touch off in a lot of contests. But in relative terms, he was great again.

His offence and leading patterns might be helping a little (I'm not overly convinced) but its not working in dragging his man away. His defender is constantly running off him to both defend and attack. Teams are clearly exploiting him. He also is getting outmarked and beaten for pace even on the lead.

Watching him walk off while Charlie had to run past him to defend was criminal. They went the length of the ground and should have kicked a goal all because he put zero effort to chase.

From my viewing, I dont think his adding anywhere near enough value in offence or in on field coaching to justify his position right now. Not against the average teams and definitely will be an issue against better teams.

People point to we are still winning but if you want to win the premiership you need to keep looking to improve and eliminate the weaknesses

One factor that was encouraging was McInerney's rebound in the second half. Witts was comfortably on top in the first half, but I felt O fought back in the second, and not only got his hands to more taps, but also did a bit around the ground. Shame he couldn't kick a goal.
I'm concerned for my boy Big O. He used to be a kind gentle man but now he has turned into a certified thug. He destroyed Holman last night. It is breaking my heart to see the gentle giant conduct himself in this way*.

*I actually love how competitve he is as a ruckman. Even if he is beaten with the taps he does so much around the ground and tries his heart out. He is one who embodies what I think we want to see in a Lions player.

Fagan has said it's the delivery into the forward line that's the issue with Gunston, just bombing it forward is too predictable and will not win a premiership. I'm inclined to agree with Fage's but I don't see another option anyway. Fort is a ruck, not a forward. Do we just go back to three talls all flying for the same ball front and center? Anyway we can't play three rucks, Big O, Fort and Joe would make us way too tall, rememeber how that worked out for the Bulldogs?

I'm concerned for my boy Big O. He used to be a kind gentle man but now he has turned into a certified thug. He destroyed Holman last night. It is breaking my heart to see the gentle giant conduct himself in this way*.

*I actually love how competitve he is as a ruckman. Even if he is beaten with the taps he does so much around the ground and tries his heart out. He is one who embodies what I think we want to see in a Lions player.
What happened to Big O's big "Keating" thump out of the ruck. These were clearing the midfield scrimmage and becoming ground balls for the half forwards. And then David King had a go at him on First Crack and haven't one since. Quite a few times these big thumps resulted in goals.

I think O's kick is still under estimated. I loved last night when he had it on the 50 and the crowd were cheering him to have shot, unfortunately they both missed, but one game they will sail through the middle

Fagan has said it's the delivery into the forward line that's the issue with Gunston, just bombing it forward is too predictable and will not win a premiership. I'm inclined to agree with Fage's but I don't see another option anyway. Fort is a ruck, not a forward. Do we just go back to three talls all flying for the same ball front and center? Anyway we can't play three rucks, Big O, Fort and Joe would make us way too tall, rememeber how that worked out for the Bulldogs?

Worked out well for us against Melbourne this year

His offence and leading patterns might be helping a little (I'm not overly convinced) but its not working in dragging his man away. His defender is constantly running off him to both defend and attack. Teams are clearly exploiting him. He also is getting outmarked and beaten for pace even on the lead.

Watching him walk off while Charlie had to run past him to defend was criminal. They went the length of the ground and should have kicked a goal all because he put zero effort to chase.

From my viewing, I dont think his adding anywhere near enough value in offence or in on field coaching to justify his position right now. Not against the average teams and definitely will be an issue against better teams.

People point to we are still winning but if you want to win the premiership you need to keep looking to improve and eliminate the weaknesses
Agree. I would rather see Ah Chee playing that role. Gunstan is shot.

Back