Review Round 10, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree. I would rather see Ah Chee playing that role. Gunstan is shot.

Ah Chee is not a stronger contested mark than Gunston. The only reason that may be the impression is because Ah Chee plays against a small whenever he goes forward. I can’t imagine Ah Chee doing anything against Mac Andrew in the air.

We are up against Murray, Butts and Michalanney next week. The obvious problem would be Michalanney being a much faster rebound player than Gunston. However, I’m still concerned that with only two talls teams would be much more inclined to simply zone off and give themselves an outnumber in any contests.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Clearly not a mistake, Charlie likes to change it up in indigenous round, played Black Boy by Coloured Stone for the first one. Played an Archie Roach song last year after the great man passed away.

Nah it was a mistake lol, the DJ was posting on reddit that he was a fill in and it was his first time there that night - and nobody told him that he had to play specific songs after specific players goals, he was just winging it for a while until someone told him (probably after that goal specifically lol).

Nah it was a mistake lol, the DJ was posting on reddit that he was a fill in and it was his first time there that night - and nobody told him that he had to play specific songs after specific players goals, he was just winging it for a while until someone told him (probably after that goal specifically lol).
There were definitely songs that were mistakes. That one though was not

Ah Chee is not a stronger contested mark than Gunston. The only reason that may be the impression is because Ah Chee plays against a small whenever he goes forward. I can’t imagine Ah Chee doing anything against Mac Andrew in the air.

We are up against Murray, Butts and Michalanney next week. The obvious problem would be Michalanney being a much faster rebound player than Gunston. However, I’m still concerned that with only two talls teams would be much more inclined to simply zone off and give themselves an outnumber in any contests.

Well we've got Fort. Who is big and clever.

Fwiiw I've seen Ah Chee get up and contest/knock away high balls and take high marks more times than I've ever seen Gunston.

Don't recall Gunston taking a high contested mark in recent memory.

I'm just totally perplexed at the love some people seem to have for Gunston.

Just give Ah Chee ,Rayner or Fort ,any one of them a couple of weeks in the same role .

Rayner would smash it for a start.

As far as Mac Andrew goes when did Gunston get anywhere near providing any sort of contest against him.

I think this whole conversation has done my head in.

The really pleasing aspect of yesterday's game was that we were really able to lift it up a cog when we had to.

GC kicked 3 flukey junk time goals from random things that just happen sometimes. The win could've been a lot bigger.

We're a little flattered because of our healthy injury list, some clubs have been devastated.

I still believe we can get a lot more out of Rayner and Bailey. They've been squeezed out of their normal development path with the arrival of Dunkley and Ashcroft and a more defined role for both that they could focus on could give us further uplift. They're two handy players to have in bit roles.

I really don't buy the "he's a lead up forward and we're just bombing it in" argument. I've watched him closely and the problem is his opponent more often than not can close him down and stop him from marking.

I think he showed a hell of a lot more playing up the ground this week than he has shown as a forward. I'd much rather him as a third tall defender than a KPF at this stage.

I really don't buy the "he's a lead up forward and we're just bombing it in" argument. I've watched him closely and the problem is his opponent more often than not can close him down and stop him from marking.

I think he showed a hell of a lot more playing up the ground this week than he has shown as a forward. I'd much rather him as a third tall defender than a KPF at this stage.
Agree with this 100% . When he can get free of any sort of contest he knows what to do. Otherwise he just gets beaten nearly every time.

It's kinda weird that the coach and the players pump him up every chance they get about what he brings. When he actually brings it I'll get it.

I think we pencilled in what he was going to do , a few posters here were saying he was going to win our goalkicking easily, whatever.

Overall we're at the stage now where I'd rather bring younger players in when we can absorb their inexperience than persevere with old guys who aren't really providing much better.

I've seen so many teams stuff up the transitioning period by playing safe selection wise and not developing the list and providing opportunities. We're right at that inflection point now where we could potentially lose good young players and be stuck with 2 or 3 on our list a year or so longer than we should've.

Well he's always been a lead up forward, Charlie himself noted this and described him as crafty. Fagan said the reason he is struggling up front is that his leads aren't being honored. The idea of playing one tall short up front for Ah Chee will just result in tall backs zoning off onto our other two talls. As for playing three rucks with Fort in well I just can't see that working. Lachie himself said, after the GC game, that Gunston and Hipwood did a great job of bringing the ball to ground for our smalls to feed off. I wouldn't be defending him if there was no support from the rest of the squad but he has been specifically mentioned multiple times as making a good contribution to the team. One of the most common criticisms from the media is we are a team of stars with too few role players, well Gunston is a role player in an area we lack, with vast experience and the respect of his peers. He will get rested and might not feature in September but calls for his demotion seem premature at best.

Ashcroft, Stacevich and Holman all fined for the melee they were involved in...did anyone see what triggered the incident - the crowd seemed keen to boo Holman for the rest of the match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As far as Mac Andrew goes when did Gunston get anywhere near providing any sort of contest against him.

For one he got a free from Mac Andrew and another Suns player after we hack kicked it out from their fifty to a 2 on 1. He also beat Mac on the lead on many occasions.

I don’t have much love for Gunston. I think there’s a lot that he could do better regarding his pressure and field kick. However, I’m more bullish on the other options we have and considering we’ve won seven on the trot with great defence and the best forward half turnover team in the league. Surely you can understand why when the criticism is brought up, people don’t exactly consider it urgent.

I’ve already stated before anyway that I’d be more than happy to get on the drop Gunston train when we see a team genuinely exploit it and it having an effect on the result. We’ve conceded around 60 points the last three weeks so I don’t feel like teams are exactly translating the apparent exploitation of Gunston into anything substantial.

We may see it actually happen this week. In reality I feel like Collingwood is the only team where it will be a major issue due to their game style. Their consistent overlap running is where I feel like it would actually be properly exploited for scoring potential. Yet we still beat them and have shown when we want to completely try and diminish a teams run and carry we can (Carlton).

I’d like to see it all play out before declaring an emergency.

Can anyone explain to me why free kicks are being awarded as a dangerous tackle for tackles that are just really strong tackles?

I mean re-watching the game on TV after being there live, Im at a loss as why umps are awarding frees when they arent dangerous in anyway other than the umpire thinking it was to tough that it might hurt the opponent even though the player getting tackled's head was in no way in any harm.

Why is it getting so soft?

Also why was Wilmot pinged for deliberate when he was tackled and the tackler made his kick go out - I mean it wasn't deliberate nor was there insufficent intent - he was being tackled so whats he to do.

I feel like Im attending games for the first time on occassions such is my confusion with what umps are doing.

For one he got a free from Mac Andrew and another Suns player after we hack kicked it out from their fifty to a 2 on 1. He also beat Mac on the lead on many occasions.

I don’t have much love for Gunston. I think there’s a lot that he could do better regarding his pressure and field kick. However, I’m more bullish on the other options we have and considering we’ve won seven on the trot with great defence and the best forward half turnover team in the league. Surely you can understand why when the criticism is brought up, people don’t exactly consider it urgent.

I’ve already stated before anyway that I’d be more than happy to get on the drop Gunston train when we see a team genuinely exploit it and it having an effect on the result. We’ve conceded around 60 points the last three weeks so I don’t feel like teams are exactly translating the apparent exploitation of Gunston into anything substantial.

We may see it actually happen this week. In reality I feel like Collingwood is the only team where it will be a major issue due to their game style. Their consistent overlap running is where I feel like it would actually be properly exploited for scoring potential. Yet we still beat them and have shown when we want to completely try and diminish a teams run and carry we can (Carlton).

It is evident that oppositions are tareggting Gunston and instructing there players to run off him or play through him. Im still perplexed as to why so many were proclaiming he was a serious upgrade on McStay - just not seeing it.

Ashcroft, Stacevich and Holman all fined for the melee they were involved in...did anyone see what triggered the incident - the crowd seemed keen to boo Holman for the rest of the match.

Just some young kids having a bit of fun.

Game kept going, nothing to see here.

Well he's always been a lead up forward, Charlie himself noted this and described him as crafty. Fagan said the reason he is struggling up front is that his leads aren't being honored. The idea of playing one tall short up front for Ah Chee will just result in tall backs zoning off onto our other two talls. As for playing three rucks with Fort in well I just can't see that working. Lachie himself said, after the GC game, that Gunston and Hipwood did a great job of bringing the ball to ground for our smalls to feed off. I wouldn't be defending him if there was no support from the rest of the squad but he has been specifically mentioned multiple times as making a good contribution to the team. One of the most common criticisms from the media is we are a team of stars with too few role players, well Gunston is a role player in an area we lack, with vast experience and the respect of his peers. He will get rested and might not feature in September but calls for his demotion seem premature at best.

Oh I know he's a lead up forward, Jack is one of my favourite non Lions players. Have always loved the way he plays - so clinical and precise. He's clearly struggling in that aspect of his game and bombing the ball in isn't to blame.

His intent and effort is there 100%, but he is is getting outmarked more often than not.

If his body can get right and he can get a bit more burst in his run then he'll start halving more contests instead of losing most and we'll see a bit more of the real Jack Gunston. Until then, I hope we continue to use him up the ground. His IQ shines when he plays around the wing.

GC kicked 3 flukey junk time goals from random things that just happen sometimes. The win could've been a lot bigger.

I may be wrong. But a fair few teams seem to be able to score junk time goals on us. I think its more a mental lapse from us then flukey. I think even Dunks commented on it at half time.

Defensive system just keeps getting it done every week. Highest score we've conceded in the past month is 74 points against Carlton. Whole team buy in has been great to see - Hipwood and Daniher have personified this for me. Hipwood's tackling in particular has been great to see, and this was no different against the Suns. He may not be impacting the scoreboard like Daniher is but they've both been in ripping form and hopefully the can keep it up.

Besides that it was a solid game against the Suns. Nothing really to mention about, we just keep banking wins and that's what matters.

It's not an emergency it's just people on a blog talking about what they'd prefer. I'd prefer to blood younger players and develop the ones already in the team than play older players who don't offer a whole lot and are likely to get found out in a running gut busting game against stronger opposition.

Last edited:
Back