Review Round 10, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I was very bullish re Gunston after the cats pre season match. Seemed exactly what we needed.

Clearly his actual output is down on last year.

What worries me is he looks like he is struggling physically. Very slow. To me he looked like he struggled to bend over to pick the ball up at one point on saturday. And his goal kicking is not what it was.

I am assuming he doesn’t have niggles because we rested him in round 5 so we haven’t been afraid of doing that. But then i’ve read he is not really training?

Get him right if so. Mini pre season. I can see what he brings at times but if he is struggling now will be cooked by finals

It is evident that oppositions are tareggting Gunston and instructing there players to run off him or play through him. Im still perplexed as to why so many were proclaiming he was a serious upgrade on McStay - just not seeing it.

Yes and if you re-read my comment I talk about how it doesn’t seem to have much affect since we still are keeping teams to low scores. The highest score we’ve given up since round 6 is 74 against Carlton where we locked down all run and carry and short options in our forward half to absolute choke Carlton out. The last two rounds we have dominated the inside fifty count and yet you make it seem like whenever the ball comes in Gunston’s man runs half the length of the field to kick it into theirs.

Who cares about whether he’s an upgrade on McStay at this point? Feels like you’re bringing it up because you just want to complain about Gunston.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Gunston is in the team because Fagan wants to play 3 tall forwards one of which is ruck relief.

Fagan obviously feels Fort being a ruck won't give him what he requires for that 3rd tall to do, team/play/structure wise.
Fullarton is in the same boat and most likely sits behind Fort in the pecking order.
One of those two will come in as injury relief or if someone is managed.
Further down the list are untried players finding their way in the VFL.

If Gunston plays 20 games, he is likely to kick around 30 goals so that is a handy 3rd tall in a team with lots of players capable of scoring.

I still maintain i am less concerned by Gunston's and the teams scoring ability. We've been one of the top scoring teams for multiple years now and I dont think he has changed that at all. My concerns are all about the defensive effort. Forwards not defending has been our biggest weakness over the last years and Gunston looks like the worst of the lot

Gunston is in the team because Fagan wants to play 3 tall forwards one of which is ruck relief.

Fagan obviously feels Fort being a ruck won't give him what he requires for that 3rd tall to do, team/play/structure wise.
Fullarton is in the same boat and most likely sits behind Fort in the pecking order.
One of those two will come in as injury relief or if someone is managed.
Further down the list are untried players finding their way in the VFL.

If Gunston plays 20 games, he is likely to kick around 30 goals so that is a handy 3rd tall in a team with lots of players capable of scoring.
Problem is though, the team seems to be trying to employ a more running defensive game, but Gunston can't run as he is clearly past it.

With the others:
  • Fort can move like a 6th midfielder when needed, can run on an opponent too.
  • Fullerton has never played just as just a forward at AFL level, but we know he can run on an opponent when needed. I think he needs a run as just a forward before he can be continued to be called ruck relief.

So, is it worth continuing to play a player who goes against the new plan you are trying to establish?

I'd almost be tempted to play Lester forward instead - in the case where he isn't in defence - because I'd argue that he can still move. We see week in and week out that teams are playing athletic players on Gunston to take advantage of that matchup. It will cost the team a game at some point.

How good is the kid Wilmot. Going to be a very nice player for our club in the years to come.

Signs of a good team - play ok for 3 qtrs and then put foot down and smash them in last qtr to win by 40.

Also some of the kicks out from Kiddy were sensational.
Yes they were as good as Richy when he used to take kicks on like that many moons ago.

Yes they were as good as Richy when he used to take kicks on like that many moons ago.

Requires the targets and blockers for the targets to do the right thing as well

The first one Neale took Collins out of the play to allow Joe to run into the free space in the corridor

Bit harder when everyone is stationary up the field like at most kick ins

Problem is though, the team seems to be trying to employ a more running defensive game, but Gunston can't run as he is clearly past it.

With the others:
  • Fullerton has never played just as just a forward at AFL level, but we know he can run on an opponent when needed. I think he needs a run as just a forward before he can be continued to be called ruck relief.

So, is it worth continuing to play a player who goes against the new plan you are trying to establish?

I'd almost be tempted to play Lester forward instead - in the case where he isn't in defence - because I'd argue that he can still move. We see week in and week out that teams are playing athletic players on Gunston to take advantage of that matchup. It will cost the team a game at some point.
Gunston is not fast, but neither are Fort or Fullarton so i don't see either of them catching anyone running out of defense either.
I will include Jo in that category too.
We don't need Fort or Fullarton to run through the middle when Jo is playing.

Our much better defensive efforts and pressure over the last 5 weeks has come from our smalls and Hippy.

Fagan believes Gunston is playing to the "new plan", or he would not continue playing him.
Even if Fagan thinks Gunston should be doing better, he obviously believes Gunston is still a better option than others, for now anyhow.

Gunston is not fast, but neither are Fort or Fullarton so i don't see either of them catching anyone running out of defense either.
I will include Jo in that category too.
We don't need Fort or Fullarton to run through the middle when Jo is playing.

Our much better defensive efforts and pressure over the last 5 weeks has come from our smalls and Hippy.

Fagan believes Gunston is playing to the "new plan", or he would not continue playing him.
Even if Fagan thinks Gunston should be doing better, he obviously believes Gunston is still a better option than others, for now anyhow.
I just think Fort's better all round on anything I've seen from Gunston. Fort is brutally underrated which hasn't been missed in other quarters and I'd be surprised if someone doesn't try to pry him out at the end of the season.

But you're right, Fagan believes in Gunston and unless it becomes glaringly obvious that he's costing us there's no hope of him not being in the team.

It's not going to happen but if we were to omit Gunston I would bring in Kai Lohmann, him and Cam Rayner are both quite good marks, Cam can lead up a bit more than he is now, would also bring even more pressure up forward.

It's not going to happen but if we were to omit Gunston I would bring in Kai Lohmann, him and Cam Rayner are both quite good marks, Cam can lead up a bit more than he is now, would also bring even more pressure up forward.
We really need to be giving Rayner more responsibility . He's itching for it but we seem to put him in pinch hitting roles this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane v Gold Coast
9 Lachie Neale (BL)
6 Josh Dunkley (BL)
5 Will Ashcroft (BL)
5 Joe Daniher (BL)
3 Hugh McCluggage (BL)
1 Bailey Humphrey (GCFC)
1 Charlie Ballard (GCFC)

Coach's votes were interesting this week. Based on my best guess:
Neale = 5, 4
Dunkley = 4, 2
Ashcroft/Daniher = 3, 2
Ashcroft/Daniher = 5, 0
McCluggage = 3, 0
Humphrey = 1, 0
Ballard = 1, 0

Means either Daniher or Ashcroft got 5 votes from one coach, but 0 from the other, and McCluggage got 3 from one coach and 0 from the other.

EDIT: KissKiss beat me to it lol

Gunston is the only KPF on our list who is a POD to Eric and Joe. He isn’t going to have the same output as at Hawthorn because it is a completely different team and system and he is not one of our primary targets.

I thought he was poor but I don’t have any visibility into how what he is providing is b ring considered by the coaches.

It is also unclear to me how what he does is benefiting our other forwards? He might be positively impacting Joe and Charlie’s contributions for instance.

Brisbane v Gold Coast
9 Lachie Neale (BL)
6 Josh Dunkley (BL)
5 Will Ashcroft (BL)
5 Joe Daniher (BL)
3 Hugh McCluggage (BL)
1 Bailey Humphrey (GCFC)
1 Charlie Ballard (GCFC)

Coach's votes were interesting this week. Based on my best guess:
Neale = 5, 4
Dunkley = 4, 2
Ashcroft/Daniher = 3, 2
Ashcroft/Daniher = 5, 0
McCluggage = 3, 0
Humphrey = 1, 0
Ballard = 1, 0

Means either Daniher or Ashcroft got 5 votes from one coach, but 0 from the other, and McCluggage got 3 from one coach and 0 from the other.

EDIT: KissKiss beat me to it lol

I think Fages gave Daniher five. Was talking him up post match and has been after the flak he copped earlier in the year.

Four goals and immense work around the ground was great and think he deserves it. I don’t think he was out marked all day either.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

With the others:

"Fort can move like a 6th midfielder when needed, can run on an opponent too."

Look he's no Steph Martin and isn't a very good around the ground, three rucks in the same side is an bad idea and Joe HAS to play relief ruck, as we have seen in last few weeks to get his confidence up and get him into games.

Gunston is the only KPF on our list who is a POD to Eric and Joe. He isn’t going to have the same output as at Hawthorn because it is a completely different team and system and he is not one of our primary targets.

I thought he was poor but I don’t have any visibility into how what he is providing is b ring considered by the coaches.

It is also unclear to me how what he does is benefiting our other forwards? He might be positively impacting Joe and Charlie’s contributions for instance.

Well Charlie agrees with you.

"His quality is his leadership, he's from a quality side ... he played unreal footy at Hawthorn," Cameron said. "Having him to learn from, a different player to what we have as our talls at the moment, he's a lead-up player, he's crafty. For me and our other talls, we can just learn off him and get some good advice."

I love Ashcroft's take no s**t, right from the get go.
I wouldnt have expected but watching the TV replay it was surprising and funny that Al Lynch said young Will is quite 'chirpy' on field unlike his Dad that barely said much. Must admit, thought Will was like his Dad but I like hearing about this side to Will.

Gunston needs a rest. That Mac Andrew kid won it in the air and on the ground on him... if he could actually kick the damn thing he would have had a great game. Fagan keeps his structure so can't see who could come in for him though.

Backline has to remain unchanged for the rest of the season barring injuries. It's the perfect blend of defence and offence. We have genuine speed out back now and the three smalls we play go in when needed and put their body on the line. Looks amazing and it's the best we've had in a long time.

What you have to understand with Gunston is he a lead up forward (something we don't have another of), and a very clever one. When we just bomb the ball into the forward line, as we did early, he's always going to struggle. He's not a defensive forward, he's an attacking forward. He leads away from the fall of the ball to try open up the forward line so we don't have three talls and their defenders all flying for the same ball and spoiling each other like last year. He tries to drag his opponent with him, but it doesn't always work; and if our mids/wings aren't lowering their eyes to look for his leads then there's not much he can do, Fagan noted this weeks ago. Making space for Joe and Hipwood whilst offering up a different option is what he is doing, and he does it well. Even Charlie has been singing his praises. I'm not claiming he's perfect but he's nowhere near the liability some are making out.
He's completely changed the way we enter inside 50 with his insane footy IQ and leadership. Blind Freddy can see that we lose a whole lot of other stuff with him there though... like defensive pressure and ability to at least half an aerial content (he's okay at that part!) which are IMO arguably the most important and desired skillset you want in a third tall fwd. Lever and the like who play that third defender role will just roll off him... here's hoping he can improve a little bit each week in those aspects of his game for himself but more importantly the team.

He's completely changed the way we enter inside 50 with his insane footy IQ and leadership. Blind Freddy can see that we lose a whole lot of other stuff with him there though... like defensive pressure and ability to at least half an aerial content (he's okay at that part!) which are IMO arguably the most important and desired skillset you want in a third tall fwd. Lever and the like who play that third defender role will just roll off him... here's hoping he can improve a little bit each week in those aspects of his game for himself but more importantly the team.
I don't think it matters overly until the pointy end of the season when he'll be targeted .

We should get him to just coach.

Back