Review Round 10, 2023: Essendon Bombers v Box Hill Hawks, 28 May 2023, 1.05pm @ NEC Hangar

Rowie6

Club Legend
Jan 28, 2007
East Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
West Ham United,Green Bay Packers.
Ned long with 34 disposals 9 tackles and 3 gaols making it interesting for the 1st team selection panel.

Worst thing was watching the female umpire trying to bounce the ball in the middle. Trying not to be sexiest but that was truly horrible to watch. Boundary umpire need to work on their muscles but the rucks should have adjusted to shorter throw ins and none of them seemed to.

Hustwaite showing he could crack a game later in the year and depending on injuries.

Morrison forgettable game. Not getting back in anytime soon.

DGB up and down game probably slightly more up than down.

Scrimshaw ok but still lacking urgency.

Bennetts and O'Sullivan ok.

O' Hara still lots to learn.

Rama putting a nice season together and developing well.

O’Sullivan did not play ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mojo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2007
Beaumaris
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Stanley and Maric should get picked up in the MSD.

Tucker was ok in the second half, not so sure about his chances this time around.

The standard of our “twos” is scary. Many of the 14 AFL listed guys playing today would get games at other clubs.
It's looking like we've absolutely nailed the '22 draft selections, doesn't it?

Well worked team goal there - Bennetts seems so sharp

He just seems to find an extra second in pressure, and find cleaner disposals out of it

His most influential game it feels
Yep he was very good. Very promising. He's a competitor doesn't like getting beaten

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well worked team goal there - Bennetts seems so sharp

He just seems to find an extra second in pressure, and find cleaner disposals out of it

His most influential game it feels
Yep he was very good. Very promising. He's a competitor doesn't like getting beaten
Bennetts and JOC will be quality AFL players, of that I have no doubt.

Bennetts is so effective with his involvements. Pressures well, presents well and disposes of the ball well. Everything he does is CLEAN.

He is a quality future Hawthorn player.

Kuuz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory TSM
Admittedly I only started watching from midway through the 2nd quarter but I don't know what people saw in Tucker. Had limited influence around the ground. Is slow and lumbering. Norf can have him.

I'd say he is more a potential pick much like Ramma, Edwards and Moyle were. He did pretty well in a position which takes years to develop the body to properly dominate in.

Whilst he didn't win hitouts, he competed well and had a few nice plays around the grab including a nice contested mark. Definitely worth a look for a team in need of a 3rd/4th developing/project ruck on the list.

Suspect North takes him based on Goldy age and to have a project ruck develop alongside Edwards.

I'd love Maric based off his last two games with Box Hill, but surely Weagles or Norf take him unless they're filling a desperate need (which I still doubt they would do).

Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'd say he is more a potential pick much like Ramma, Edwards and Moyle were. He did pretty well in a position which takes years to develop the body to properly dominate in.

Whilst he didn't win hitouts, he competed well and had a few nice plays around the grab including a nice contested mark. Definitely worth a look for a team in need of a 3rd/4th developing/project ruck on the list.
We don't need another developing ruck in the MSD. If we need of insurance if Meek or Reeves go down, I'd be going Ryan

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ned long with 34 disposals 9 tackles and 3 gaols making it interesting for the 1st team selection panel.

Worst thing was watching the female umpire trying to bounce the ball in the middle. Trying not to be sexiest but that was truly horrible to watch. Boundary umpire need to work on their muscles but the rucks should have adjusted to shorter throw ins and none of them seemed to.

Hustwaite showing he could crack a game later in the year and depending on injuries.

Morrison forgettable game. Not getting back in anytime soon.

DGB up and down game probably slightly more up than down.

Scrimshaw ok but still lacking urgency.

Bennetts and O'Sullivan ok.

O' Hara still lots to learn.

Rama putting a nice season together and developing well.
What is ohara like as a player and does he look like a midfielder as well?

Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Six decades of domination
Please keep playing Rama in the VFL. He is growing in his ability to be awesome by the day.

His leading was aggressive yesterday. It's a shame our delivery inside 50 was poor at times. Still had the agility to pick up the ball at ground level and dish out clever handballs out to the flanks.

Is going to be a real handful when he fill outs. Rare combo of speed, agility, endurance and hopefully power in the big kid.

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
What is ohara like as a player and does he look like a midfielder as well?

It's hard to know where he will end up because he has so much more to learn. His tackling is fantastic and that's the area where you would expect him to be slow to develop. He runs and runs, and doesn't mind body contact. His disposal is not there yet and anything other than a template set up shows that he doesn't yet see the game unfold up the ground. Still a work in progress.

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
We don't need another developing ruck in the MSD. If we need of insurance if Meek or Reeves go down, I'd be going Ryan

One of the problems is the size of lists now. It's hard to cover all bases including possible future injuries. If you budget for Max to return at some point, we can't possibly afford four genuine ruck/resting forwards. So recruit a backup ruck on a 6-month contract and probably delist if Max returns? Maybe, but I'm in agreement with what I think you are saying - recruit someone who could pinch hit in the ruck but might make it in another position. Not sure that argues for Ryan though.

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Admittedly I only started watching from midway through the 2nd quarter but I don't know what people saw in Tucker. Had limited influence around the ground. Is slow and lumbering. Norf can have him.

You definitely missed his best football, especially the first 10 mins. I thought he showed a bit for a 19 year old playing ruck in the VFL. He is an out and out ruckman when we need more a forward/ruck. Reminded me a bit of Greg Dear.

Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You definitely missed his best football, especially the first 10 mins. I thought he showed a bit for a 19 year old playing ruck in the VFL. He is an out and out ruckman when we need more a forward/ruck. Reminded me a bit of Greg Dear.
Assuming Lynch is done (which I really hope is not the case) we need a ruck that can go longer than 10 mins. Is it a fitness issue with Tucker?

How many developing forward/rucks do we need?

Back