Autopsy Round 10, 2023: Hawthorn demolish the Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Extremely poor, injury-ravaged opposition, absolutely, but the way we put them away was like what the Hawks of 10 years ago would have done, suggesting hunger and ruthlessness. Two highly desirable traits. We've still got a long, long way to go, and we will absolutely appear to take steps backwards at times over the next year or so (expecting that this week actually), but the signs are good and we are definitely heading in the right direction overall...

Extremely poor, injury-ravaged opposition, absolutely, but the way we put them away was like what the Hawks of 10 years ago would have done, suggesting hunger and ruthlessness. Two highly desirable traits. We've still got a long, long way to go, and we will absolutely appear to take steps backwards at times over the next year or so (expecting that this week actually), but the signs are good and we are definitely heading in the right direction overall...
Maybe we have down week this week or maybe with that boost of confidence we take it right up to St Kilda

Edit: Its amazing what a win can do

Interestingly enough, for all the talk of how low pressure this game was, it was the highest tackling game of the weekend. We laid 90 tackles - 8 more tackles than the next best team, which was West Coast with 82. We had the third highest contested ball count with 154, behind the Saints with 158 and the Dogs with 164. All this despite there being games on the weekend in far worse conditions, far more suited to a tackle-fest.

Promising signs, despite the opposition.

After the floggings the Saints have handed out to the Hawks in the last couple of years, unless we are serving it up to them all game nest week, the Eagles game will be a quick distant memory.

The Blues have not recovered after flogging the Eagles a few weeks ago.
The blues haven’t recovered from losing Kouta, not really relevant.

As long as we’re competitive and continue that better ball movement I’ll be happy. I’ll be very happy if we increase our forward pressure and keep the ball in our forward half more. Anything above that is a bonus.

Interestingly enough, for all the talk of how low pressure this game was, it was the highest tackling game of the weekend. We laid 90 tackles - 8 more tackles than the next best team, which was West Coast with 82. We had the third highest contested ball count with 154, behind the Saints with 158 and the Dogs with 164. All this despite there being games on the weekend in far worse conditions, far more suited to a tackle-fest.

I honestly thought we were aiming for 100 points so it makes sense, we were set for this

Eagles were definitely throwing a lot of numbers at the contest. Trying to lock the ball in. As soon as it got on the outside though they didn’t pressure us at all.

Eagles put up a fight with their effort. They are just terrible.

It was refreshing to hear King during the commentary recognise that the moving on of Mitchell and O'Meara was the right call and has allowed our younger midfield to get the game time they needed to develop. He even went as far as suggesting WCE should be doing the same.

Stark contrast to the tank narrative other flogs have been parrotting in the media unable to see past any personal bias/hatred they have and see the big picture of what Mitchell was doing as he could see something in these kids that would take us forward rather than continuing to stagnate.

It’s pretty funny really.

Moving them on has done wonders for our midfield development, Mitchell is going great at the Pies, Montagna was saying how O’Meara has been key to Freo turning around the form in the past few weeks.

Literally everyone who actually matters is happy with how it all played out 😂

It’s pretty funny really.

Moving them on has done wonders for our midfield development, Mitchell is going great at the Pies, Montagna was saying how O’Meara has been key to Freo turning around the form in the past few weeks.

Literally everyone who actually matters is happy with how it all played out 😂
Totally correct.

So happy for Mitchell and Jaeger if it works out for them.

It’s certainly looks like it will work out for us!

Last edited:
Don't care what anyone says.
It felt good to put the foot down and smash a team.
In clarkos career at the hawks, we'd get 30-40 up then park the bus.

Smashing when we are building will make teams afraid of us later on - think Geelong. How many times do you see their opponents go into their shells? It's the knowledge that they'll come

Daniel Hoyne from CD has explained it on SEN periodically during his regular weekly segment.

Essentially for those ratings they look at what the expected result of a disposal is based on historical data and then if the player does better/worse than expectation they get/lose points.

So Brockman achieved much better results with his disposals than could have been expected of a player in his position attempting what he did.
Must admit lately I've been feeling very confident whenever Brockman has possession. He's so composed, great skills, an excellent decision maker. A joy to watch.

Seamus Mitchell too. So good to see these two young players who have struggled with injury get a chance to show what they're really capable of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally correct.

So happy for Mitchell and Jaeger if it works out for them.

It’s certainly looks like it will work out for us!
The only hope now is that Cooper stephens strings some games together and earns a call up so we can have a look then it will have been a great trade. You can argue that for TOM we got stephens and hustwaite so keen to see at least one become a player. Hustwaite coming along nicely, just a question of whether he fits our game plan. Stephens has shown how good he can be in traffic but with our depth of young inside mids he will need to find a second role I think to be able to play regular games.

The only hope now is that Cooper stephens strings some games together and earns a call up so we can have a look then it will have been a great trade. You can argue that for TOM we got stephens and hustwaite so keen to see at least one become a player. Hustwaite coming along nicely, just a question of whether he fits our game plan. Stephens has shown how good he can be in traffic but with our depth of young inside mids he will need to find a second role I think to be able to play regular games.

Not sure where they are all going to fit Stephen’s,Hustwaite,Long and Finn McGuiness they all have similar traits?
This will be interesting!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure where they are all going to fit Stephen’s,Hustwaite,Long and Finn McGuiness they all have similar traits?
This will be interesting!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Maginness is done unfortunately he just doesn’t have a second string. Longs chance to make it is as the third or
Fourth forward and rotating mid. He’s against Greene and serong as third forward although if we got Duursma or Caddy would seem they are all in trouble. He could be fourth forward given his defensive attributes especially if 5-7 positions are brockman butler O’Sullivan.

ANy time between 5-7pm today they will announce the nomination

I haven’t been so abreast of all the other games in the round. Anyone who keeps an eye on things think he has competition from someone else? The only one that jumps to my mind is Wardlaw from North. But on paper Weddle’s numbers look way better.

I haven’t been so abreast of all the other games in the round. Anyone who keeps an eye on things think he has competition from someone else? The only one that jumps to my mind is Wardlaw from North. But on paper Weddle’s numbers look way better.
Eddie Ford had a good game but other than Wardlaw his only competition should be other Hawks.

Wardlaw looks a gun , but if you get a nom of one 16 possesion game I think questions need to be asked .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back