AFLW Round 10, AFLW Season 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon two aflw games per week are close and the rest are (more or less) over by halftime. Finding it very tough to tune in to non Hawks games as you generally know who'll win before the ball is bounced

Not sure that’s true but it’s a cool story.
They spent over 10 years repeatedly failing to get funding for facility upgrades. AFLW comes along, and five minutes later governments are handing over $50m+ to the Lions. That's simply true (and easy to verify).

The cool part is the likes of Charlotte Akermanis spending the next 15 years tearing it up at these very same facilities that allow your club to compete in the professional men's league.

Which 20yo in her 3rd season will kick 2 joe-the-gooses and rob Cynthia Hamilton of a Rising Star nomination this weekend?

By all means let it happen, pretty much guaranteeing she'd win the whole thing next season (given no new bottom-agers to compete with).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They spent over 10 years repeatedly failing to get funding for facility upgrades. AFLW comes along, and five minutes later governments are handing over $50m+ to the Lions. That's simply true (and easy to verify).

The cool part is the likes of Charlotte Akermanis spending the next 15 years tearing it up at these very same facilities that allow your club to compete in the professional men's league.
So the fact we’ve been competing the last 4 years without these facilities may have slipped your memory.

I guess the state of the art facilities at Arden St can’t make up for the fact your clubs a mess across all facets of its operations 👍

So the fact we’ve been competing the last 4 years without these facilities may have slipped your memory.

I guess the state of the art facilities at Arden St can’t make up for the fact your clubs a mess across all facets of its operations 👍
Sorry but both clubs are textbook examples of how a lack of a long-term vision, especially with regards to things like facilities, can set a club back decades (if it doesn't destroy the club entirely).

This teen wolf guy is that delusional when it comes to aflw hahahaha. It's actually halirous to read his coping around aflw. Face it buddy the comps a joke and no matter how red in the face you get defending it nothings going to change the fact that the crowds and tv ratings are dreadful across the board. Lmao. This comment will probably be deleted though as all my other ones are on aflw threads lol
What coping. I'm barely holding it together, here. Pretty much the only thing I write on this board are melts about Breann Moody and Ebony Antonio not getting enough recognition for carrying their teams (particularly now that Emily Bates is a league B&F winner and therefore not underrated, theoretically). Seriously, these are two of the most awesome female athletes I've ever seen because they have all the prized assets: speed and endurance, size and strength, skills and smarts, mental toughness and unselfishness. Moody even ended up leading the goal-kicking for her club this season, as if there weren't already enough dot points on her job description.

I know I've said a lot this season about how Daniel Harford could've used Darcy Vescio better throughout the season, but at the same time Vescio still needed to take more responsibility and be better than kicking just 4 goals. When Tayla Harris only kicked 4 goals for Carlton in a season (from 2 less games), it was like "woahhh she's definitely not worth a six-figure salary" from the peanut gallery. But Vescio is getting paid that much and nobody seems half as bothered. Meanwhile Harris has rocketed to the top of the league's all-time goal-kicking list, and is having an immense impact around the ground now too. But it's true that she depends on a confidence boost from teammates, rather than being the inspiring leader, hence I wouldn't put her in the same category as Moody and Antonio.

If you go through the league with a fine tooth comb, or inspect it under a microscope, the only other player who arguably belongs in that tier (at this stage--there are a few up-and-comers to look out for, no doubt) is Chelsea Randall. As far as skills go, she doesn't have the power in her kick like Moody, nor the control of Antonio. On the other hand, neither of them quite measure up to Randall's level of aerial daredevilism. Randall mostly gets her due respect, though. Slightly underrated because of the aura of Erin Phillips, but never been robbed of an All-Australian jumper, and has been given plenty of deserved recognition via the AFLPA awards.

That's not to say the player-voted awards have always been fair over the years. 2018 springs to mind, when salty Carlton and Collingwood players screwed up the MVP count, resulting in a win to Courtney Gum who was good that season but... come on. We all know the two Bulldogs mids dominated that year, yet neither finished inside the top 3. Blackburn (who fwiw will likely finish the season as the only AFLW player to be both the all-time leading disposal-getter and goal-kicker for a club) and Kearney, perhaps even they'll admit in retrospect, were not the most gracious on-field winners that year. Still, it's supposed to be Most Valuable Player, not Least Dislikeable Opponent. Hallelujah, the players (begrudgingly) gave Best Captain to Blackburn years later. As for Kearney, no such AFLPA recognition, but a league B&F award and an unmatched six AA trophies to ease the pain. Probably the only top player to have been correctly evaluated by the farcical AA panel for the entirety of the competition's history.

If the selectors get sucked in by the hollow campaign advanced for Alice Edmonds, I won't be surprised. She kicks about as well as Sharni Layton did, and has as much clue about what to do with the football as Kerryn Harrington. Whether she has an old netball buddy on the panel, or an uncle, I guess we shall soon find out. The important difference between her and the rightful AA ruck is pretty obvious to me, and it was on full display on Friday via Carlton's reliance on Moody to spread in general play and generate devastating penetration of the opposition's defence. Blackburn did the same for the Dogs, while Edmonds had 10 shitty handballs and 0 kicks. And you can just sense which of the three players is going to be rewarded by Sarah Black and Kelli ******* Underwood. Coping? You gotta be bleepin' me. I'm ready to rip somebody's throat out. And please don't you dare describe my posts as "halirous". I want you to go to jail for this blatant disrespect... of the English language. On the plus side, I have the satisfaction of getting you to read all this stuff about AFLW. The ability to share my passion and enjoyment for the league in a way that draws in readers is a gift. Btw the attendance tally for the season is now up to 224,636, so an all-time H&A high for the league.

I had this whole other tangent that I wanted to delve into, regarding civic pride and how quality football programs prevail in due course, using the improved Richmond and Geelong as the prime examples. For the Cats, this teen wolf guy can confirm that Dan Lowther was cajoled by significant key figures at Kardinia Park into making a number of positional and tactical changes midway through the season (which have subsequently paid off). If it was up to me, I'd have just screamed at him after every match, which would have only ensured he stubbornly persist with, say, Shelley Scott in the back-pocket (still can't believe he thought that was a smart idea). Like I said, I wanted to delve into that subject, but I'd prefer to keep this response brief!

Last edited:
Hypothetical time!

Brisbane and Melbourne clear top two, so I don't think this will happen - however, it's finals so who knows

Say next week Brisbane win their QF and Adelaide knock off Melbourne, giving Brisbane and Adelaide home Prelims

What happens in terms of seeding and home GF if Melbourne come back through the semis and knock off Brisbane in the PF creating a GF rematch with Adelaide again

Who gets home GF ? Top seeding through H&A season or would Adelaide's hypothetical QF win against them make them the higher seed?

Is there even a precedent for this in anything AFL wise at all?

Hypothetical time!

Brisbane and Melbourne clear top two, so I don't think this will happen - however, it's finals so who knows

Say next week Brisbane win their QF and Adelaide knock off Melbourne, giving Brisbane and Adelaide home Prelims

What happens in terms of seeding and home GF if Melbourne come back through the semis and knock off Brisbane in the PF creating a GF rematch with Adelaide again

Who gets home GF ? Top seeding through H&A season or would Adelaide's hypothetical QF win against them make them the higher seed?

Is there even a precedent for this in anything AFL wise at all?

No idea what happens in AFLW but in AFLM the highest ranked team at the end of the H and A always maintains its home ground advantage.

The exception is the Grand Final which is played at the MCG.

tipping the demons to win the premiership they are wiping teams off the park at will.

Got a Brisbane v Melbourne GF.

These 2 are head and shoulders above the rest.

Hope they play the GF at Marvel stadium under the roof.

Not sure on my Collingwood they need to do way better job in recruitment and need forwards they have no one up forward.
Time to finally delist Fredrick.
They will be better next aflw this time was not their best and can be way better.
Lossing to easy at Vic park as well.
Can not win with out the likes of Davey and Bonnici.

Pies will now play Dogs in an elim at Vic Park next Saturday it seams.

Top 4 looks set Lions,Dees,Crows and Cats

I cant see tigers beatingg north at north so they will be 5th
Pies 6th to play dogs 7th.

Tigers to play north again but at Punt rd oval.

My week 1 finals looks like this

Brisbane v Cats at Metrocon qf tipping brisbane
Melbourne v Crows at Casey qf tipping melbourne

the elims are:

richmond v north punt road toss of a coin
collingwood v dogs vic park tipping pies just and only just like say under 10 points

Semi finals

Cats v north or tiger at kardina park
Crows v Collingwood at glenelg oval adl

Prelims are

Melbourne v cats/north/tiger casey fields
Brisbane v crows/collingwood metrocon

GF

Melbourne v Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back