Discussion Round 10 and 11, 2022 (Sir Doug Nicholls Indigenous Round) - Photos and Discussion

TheDoctor11

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers
ROUND 10

Friday, May 20

Carlton v Sydney (MRVL) (N)

Saturday, May 21
Geelong v Port Adelaide (GMHBA)
Western Bulldogs v Gold Coast (MARS)
North Melbourne v Melbourne (MRVL) (T)
Adelaide v St Kilda (AO) (N)
Richmond v Essendon (MCG) (N)

Sunday, May 22
Greater Western Sydney v West Coast (GS)
Hawthorn v Brisbane Lions (UTAS)
Fremantle v Collingwood (OS) (T)

----------------------------------------------------------------

ROUND 11

Friday, May 27

Sydney v Richmond (SCG) (N)

Saturday, May 28
Geelong v Adelaide (GMHBA)
Brisbane Lions v Greater Western Sydney (G)
Melbourne v Fremantle (MCG) (T)
West Coast v Western Bulldogs (PS) (N)
Gold Coast v Hawthorn (TIO) (N)

Sunday, May 29
St Kilda v North Melbourne (MRVL)
Collingwood v Carlton (MCG)
Port Adelaide v Essendon (AO) (T)

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
There is still a reference to Fitzroy with the FFC on the back of the guernsey. Is that ok with you?
Maybe I'll elaborate further.

More often than not, I see more bias towards the Fitzroy side of the merger/takeover (whatever you want to call it) vs the Bears side of things. Yes Fitzroy were around for 100 years vs Bears 10 years, but there are many Brisbane Bears supporters that felt and still feel short changed.

So yes, it is ok with me as I have no issue with Fitzroy being recognised, but it's also about time we saw some Bears recognition as it's been a while since a Bears jumper was worn in the AFL be it heritage round or what have youm

magic_johnson!

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 7, 2008
London
AFL Club
Geelong
Seems to be a fantastic suite of jumpers this year. Really Great integration and really well balanced jumpers that have stepped away from just slapping an artwork on a jersey a few years ago. GWS in particularly impresses; it’s a better integrated jersey front and back than their home in my opinion (except for the Harvey Norman); it almost could be their home.

mattpolo8

Red and white tragic
Sep 25, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Miami Heat
Getting an NBA vibe with the indigenous jerseys this year. The feeling clubs are putting a massive amount of effort into a different design, something unique, something fans want to get a hold of. I like it.

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
I love it, and think the bears should be represented as equally as the roys....however I cant see a lion on the jumper which I believe is a breach of the clubs agreement
A lot of our one-offs haven’t included a Lion, a quick glance shows about 8 of them not including this one

Dec 7, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Rabbitohs, Villa, McLaren F1, ENG
A lot of our one-offs haven’t included a Lion, a quick glance shows about 8 of them not including this one
FWIW im not complaining about the lack of Fitzroy on the jumper, as I said I like it and there is a FFC on the back.

Mero would know better but I remember even when they did the Heritage replicas of yesteryear they would still put a Lion either on the breast, back, the tag or sublaminate them to comply with the agreement.

Of course there was the paddlepop farce, which resulted in legal action from the FFC and we eventually got it back

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
FWIW im not complaining about the lack of Fitzroy on the jumper, as I said I like it and there is a FFC on the back.

Mero would know better but I remember even when they did the Heritage replicas of yesteryear they would still put a Lion either on the breast, back, the tag or sublaminate them to comply with the agreement.

Of course there was the paddlepop farce, which resulted in legal action from the FFC and we eventually got it back
One would think they did, but a lot of the heritage ones had nothing on them, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Some examples 2004 (Bears V), 2006 (Bears "Pyramid"), 2007 (Classic TV Roy), 2014 Hall of Fame, 2016 Hall of Fame had no Lion to speak of (actually that might be it - some of the others had a Lion next to the BBFFC)

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I played Ammos in the 80s

2004 & 2006 Heritage jumpers were Bears themed and had no Lion (or Fitzroy reference at all) on them.

Last edited:

RoyBoy17

Team Captain
Aug 31, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Maybe I'll elaborate further.

More often than not, I see more bias towards the Fitzroy side of the merger/takeover (whatever you want to call it) vs the Bears side of things. Yes Fitzroy were around for 100 years vs Bears 10 years, but there are many Brisbane Bears supporters that felt and still feel short changed.

So yes, it is ok with me as I have no issue with Fitzroy being recognised, but it's also about time we saw some Bears recognition as it's been a while since a Bears jumper was worn in the AFL be it heritage round or what have youm
Well given I support the club I can assure you there is no more bias to the Fitzroy side than the Bears. And I’m happy with the jumper as well. Looks great. Check out the website each week and you will see a reference to the bears whether that be flashbacks, merchandise, stats, videos etc.
Also our third kit is now used as a nod to the bears. And has been for a long time. Whether you think they do a good job of the jumper is a diff story.

OWAAT69

Debutant
Aug 4, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
1652309154079.png

On the ASICS website

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Well given I support the club I can assure you there is no more bias to the Fitzroy side than the Bears. And I’m happy with the jumper as well. Looks great. Check out the website each week and you will see a reference to the bears whether that be flashbacks, merchandise, stats, videos etc.
Also our third kit is now used as a nod to the bears. And has been for a long time. Whether you think they do a good job of the jumper is a diff story.
Appreciate the opinions and debate, but let's try and stick to the topic of this thread .

Mozzie_Squad

All Australian
Dec 13, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melb City, Storm, Stars
Darryl White + longsleeves = things you love to see 😍 😍 😍

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I played Ammos in the 80s
I'm guessing Mero would be quite pleased if every team had the same indigenous jumper year in year out ;)
For a couple of reasons yes.
For one, it makes the jumper THE club SDN Round jumper.
The Swans have effectively had two designs before this year.
The one Adam Goodes' mum designed, and the Black Swan one.
I find footy jumpers have become a retail product to flog to a small collecting community.
Adopting a jumper and wearing it over multiple seasons lessens this somewhat.

And it's easier to draw them once than a new one every year.

PS The last couple of years the AFL as a way of documenting this aspect of the game in perpetuity, have provided me with artwork for the SDN Round jumpers. So the ones I have artwork for take less time to put together collectively than the most of the others individually.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
being based in brisbane is a pretty big nod to the bears. i'm sure fitzroy supporters wouldn't mind wearing the bears jumper at all if the club could move to melbourne.

A good looking man in a good looking Guernsey

1652604306039.png

Mr39

Club Legend
Mar 3, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Back