Autopsy Round 10 - Autopsy vs Narrm - The Good, The Bad & The Oliver

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
I missed the first half and half the third quarter but I thought our defence stood up when we were getting murdered everywhere else, Walker solid. Corr valiant but conceded goals as he is not quite strong enough to play on the monsters. The rest were throwing themselves in, despite some slightly dubious free kicks (sic).

Wouldn't have Hall made a difference with some run and carry?

We must set up some way that means our backline is perpetually static. I saw statues in Malta who have more run and overlap.

Bren

Premium Platinum
Apr 16, 2005
Arden Street Oval
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NYY
We’re you surprised given the decisions they made today?

You could have actually mistaken the umpires for fanboying and fangirling today.

It was perfectly summed up with the Gawn free kick at the moment no of the game. Unless something happened prior, at the ground it looks like Xerri fists the ball away and Gawn runs into him.
did i say that? we were rammed dry tonight, they could have at least warned us to lube up before the match

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't think Eleni is worse than the average umpire, we're just noticing her more. All the men have similar voices and body shapes and they run together into an amorphous blob known as "the umps." she looks and sounds different enough that when she's producing the same bad decisions that the men do, we immediately know who she is.

The game has become way too hard to officiate. Umpires are compelled to interrupt play by paying excessive frees, due to the introduction of these new interpretations around HTB and dissent. There's so much grey area and confusion, I think you could sit down 8 umpires in separate rooms, ask them all to explain what "in the back" is and get 8 distinct answers.

Sack Glouftsis? No.

Sack Scotts.

I don't think Eleni is worse than the average umpire, we're just noticing her more. All the men have similar voices and body shapes and they run together into an amorphous blob known as "the umps." she looks and sounds different enough that when she's producing the same bad decisions that the men do, we immediately know who she is.

The game has become way too hard to officiate. Umpires are compelled to interrupt play by paying excessive frees, due to the introduction of these new interpretations around HTB and dissent. There's so much grey area and confusion, I think you could sit down 8 umpires in separate rooms, ask them all to explain what "in the back" is and get 8 distinct answers.

Sack Glouftsis? No.

Sack Scotts.
Yep, I can see that being a factor re Eleni. I thought umpire 26 was pretty s**t but I wouldn’t be able to say what his name is. Not sure Eleni is a good umpire but I think she cops more than her fair share. I’d absolutely hate to an umpire. The AFL has handed them an absolute s**t sandwich on a platter.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Sack Glouftsis? No.

Sack Scotts.
They didn’t have much problem officiating against our defenders, while at the other end poor old Nick Larkey was being bearhugged everytime he went to compete.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep, I can see that being a factor re Eleni. I thought umpire 26 was pretty s**t but I wouldn’t be able to say what his name is. Not sure Eleni is a good umpire but I think she cops more than her fair share. I’d absolutely hate to an umpire. The AFL has handed them an absolute s**t sandwich on a platter.
They do get paid. If they were doing it as volunteers then maybe we could have some sympathy. But they do get paid to dish up what they did today.

But let’s not sugarcoat it, if she had a utensil she wouldn’t be umpiring at AFL level.

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
For those that watched the match on TV did the commentators say anything in relation to the horrid umpiring decisions when they made the calls.
I tell you what, you bastards at the ground we’re louder than an AC/DC concert. I could have sworn it was a packed mcg of royal blue and white fans expressing your displeasure at the umpires.

I call massive bullshizen on the “this is the hardest sport in the world to officiate…” line.

It’s an excuse that gets trotted out every week to brush aside any scrutiny of umpiring standards.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I call massive bullshizen on the “this is the hardest sport in the world to officiate…” line.

It’s an excuse that gets trotted out every week to brush aside any scrutiny of umpiring standards.
It’s why the dissent rule was brought in. We can’t have players highlighting incompetence.

I’ve never seen a player lose their nana over a good decision or a 50/50.

It’s all about conditioning the fan base to accept garbage.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM

Every contact sport has difficult to officiate rules.

The AFL hamstring themselves when they favour teams/techniques.

Ironically, one of the best pieces of news from this game is the fact that both Jy and Tarryn are operating at about 30% of their capabilities. It could be argued that they might be overrated. However, I am very, very confident they will bounce back strongly.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We should straight up just run with the traditional strip and our indigenous strip and that’s about it.
I legitimately wonder what the AFLs response would be to a club requesting to wear their indigenous jumper as their away strip for the whole year.

Our ball movement out of the back line was far more dynamic than it has been.

We also were not trying to bite off the kick to the point of the centre square.

The ball movement was just different.

I expect that we will look better again next week.

It’ll be greasy af the week after so who knows.

We will be a huge show against GWS in 3 weeks.

There is a pulse and I expect it’ll get stronger.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
On the structure point. We stretched our zone a little bit more, and the patient build up through short kicks fantastically complimented our transition and zone. We were then able to blast through the middle once we had heaps of options forward of the ball.

Overall we looked much better. I hope it wasn't a one off approach against Melbourne (a few sides have tried short kicking and possession footy against them this year), but is a glimpse into adaptability and vision from our coaching staff.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
Better effort across the board.

Good ball movement and a lot more energy with and without the ball.
Signs are there in what we want to do - are we buying in.

Backline was immense - Scott , Lmac , corr and young weee excellent.
Rucks broke even as well
LDU was our best mid
Zurhaar is our heartbeat - when he’s showing that passion , he lifts us.
Umpiring was a joke - best put by a young dees fan behind me saying we’re getting frees for nothing.
Game is stuffed with the frees given these days.

Plenty of crap decisions went our way as well. Including 2 dropping the ball decisions that were not paid against us in our backline about 10 seconds apart. But agree on rub of the green definately going against us.
On the MB thread every second comment was about the umpiring. Even a couple of Demons posters were admitting it.

Back