Autopsy Round 10 - Autopsy vs Narrm - The Good, The Bad & The Oliver

Just got home. Reasonably satisfied withe the effort today. Sat next to Phil Krakeour and its fair to say he's still a passionate North Rooboy.

He was disappointed with our lack of fans at the game. Asked what's happened to our club when Jy fluffed a simple kick inside 50, screamed at the umpire when TT was penalised for the great tackle that gifted the Dees their 1st goal and shook his head and said " and that blokes our captain" when JZ stuffed up in the 1st quarter.

Its was like he was posting in our game day thread.

Fantastic Spide.

Happy to put my hands up and admit I was wrong, Xerri in for CCJ ended up being a good call

Exact what I was wanting to see in terms of effort, but most importantly it came from the start of the game. Obviously needs to be maintained and not just a one-off, like the Sydney game seemed to be, but a big step in the right direction
Xerri had 2 possessions … but yeah, he was actually a lot more effective than that stat would suggest. He did well against Gawn at times, winning a few taps that led to scoring opportunities. And he kicked a goal at a good time.

zoomba23

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Conceded a mountain of inside 50s but the defence held up really well. For any EPL fans in, Corr reminds me of Tyrone Mings. You can see he's got talent in him but his brain sometimes turns to wet Yorkshire pudding. Worth persisting with as a third tall. Zurhaar and LDU's continued form is very pleasing. Scott might yet emerge out of plodder territory. Young, as much as I think he's VFL level, tries his guts out. We need guys like that, preferably with more skill than him, but he's a start. With Hall and Buckets back fairly soon, there's no reason why we shouldn't be realistically hopeful for more performances like this

Bigming

Club Legend
May 31, 2015
Hong Kong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Millers
I was thinking this would be q 20000 point demolition, and it wasn'. We've gone from being able to play a quarter of football (kind of), to a half (maybe), and today was a solid 3 qtr (nearly) effort. Really proud, and happy for the team - well done.

Some need a rest, and need to be told if you can't kick straight, or near, or not to the opposition, or straight and directly out-of-bounds, it's VFL.

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Xerri had 2 possessions … but yeah, he was actually a lot more effective than that stat would suggest. He did well against Gawn at times, winning a few taps that led to scoring opportunities. And he kicked a goal at a good time.

It was easily the best I’ve seen Xerri ruck. Particularly early. He was leading the hit outs to advantage all day

discodaddy

All Australian
Jun 13, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
There are no others
I actually thought we competed really well today.

It’s hard not to be deflated when umpiring is gifting the opposition shots on goal.

Does anyone in clubland or the media have the balls to call out the elephant in the room? If that is the standard of officiating in a professional sport, then it’s hard to define it as a professional sport.

I’ve seen better officiating in bush footy. In fact if they umpired like that in the bush there is a good possibility they might not have left the ground in one piece.
I’m travelling so I haven’t seen the game, so with that in mind…

This is why I hate the new dissent rule. If the players are not able to give the umps a gobfull when they make a huge mistake, then how can they make corrections mid-game? The players have a bunch of coaches who give them a spray during the breaks - who’s letting the umps know they need to sort their s**t out?

The very first kick out we managed to hit targets side ways, up the ground and eventually get an inside 50 because of it.

We were able to see more examples of the team being able to implement the basics of moving the footy and doing so efficiently.

Pressure when not having the ball was good.

We shouldn't hang our hat on this....there's still a lot of work to be done but more importantly for now if they can do this against Melbourne...they can do this against anyone. It's a step in the right direction but it'll be for nothing if they can't back it up next week and the weeks after.

I don't usually critique umpiring but JHF had his head taken off twice and a blatant hold against inside 50......nothing :/

I’m travelling so I haven’t seen the game, so with that in mind…

This is why I hate the new dissent rule. If the players are not able to give the umps a gobfull when they make a huge mistake, then how can they make corrections mid-game? The players have a bunch of coaches who give them a spray during the breaks - who’s letting the umps know they need to sort their s**t out?
Their coach, the 4th umpire and each other.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Genuinely interesting comments, which, lets be honest, is rare for a player interview. "I dare say Melbourne train at a really high standard, we're striving for that, training has lifted but we need to lift again. Bring your mouthguard brutal sort of session kind stuff, the boys are buying into it we just need to keep ramping it up and we will keep seeing performances like that"

I don't think it was leadership fluff either, I've read ITKs here saying we need to get better at training, Boomer made some implications in a radio interview a month or so about it too, and track watchers comment on it occasionally too.

Shagga is all Class

Premiership Player
May 15, 2005
Beneath the Blue and White
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
Everyone could see it. Just don’t expect the AFL to acknowledge how bad it was.

The respect rule is just all about the aesthetics of the players and the viewer accepting Brad Scott's clowns ruining the game and the AFL sanitising the contest.

Problem is, those that go the game are outraged by the constant blowing of the whistle 3 or 4 seconds after the event when play has moved on elsewhere and not just the ridiculous decision making. But they don't put those seconds back on the clock, now do they.

The commentators also spend a great deal of time arguing amongst themselves over every decision and not the actual football.

Fancy the AFL grand final being decided by the milliseconds wasted in looping the ball back? Throw the ball back like Tom Brady and you will get suspended for breaking a fingernail.

WesternRoo

Club Legend
Apr 4, 2007
Wattleup Stadium
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Club Oz Cougars
Our kicking and decision making kills us.

Unfortunately, outside of fitness I can't see this changing much with a huge number of this current group.

You look by contrast when Powell has ball in hand. Looks like a Melbourne type player.

Simpkin, McDonald, LDU, Taylor and even Thomas now just make too many mistakes with ball in hand. Simpkin and McDonald in particular.

Combine this with all the players who usually get mentioned in here fir the same issues (Ziebell Turner etc) and it's a real issue.

Hugh Greenwood. What are we doing here? We thought it was steal if the century, but I'm thinking Gold Coast were one step ahead. Maybe he is worth a shot in defence and Hayden gets a run on ball.

I legitimately wonder what the AFLs response would be to a club requesting to wear their indigenous jumper as their away strip for the whole year.
Surely they couldn't say no? Wouldn't look great politically.

Their angle would probably be it will devalue DN round (which has already stretched to like 3 rounds, right?).

Renovate animos

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Our kicking and decision making kills us.

Unfortunately, outside of fitness I can't see this changing much with a huge number of this current group.

You look by contrast when Powell has ball in hand. Looks like a Melbourne type player.

Simpkin, McDonald, LDU, Taylor and even Thomas now just make too many mistakes with ball in hand. Simpkin and McDonald in particular.

Combine this with all the players who usually get mentioned in here fir the same issues (Ziebell Turner etc) and it's a real issue.

Hugh Greenwood. What are we doing here? We thought it was steal if the century, but I'm thinking Gold Coast were one step ahead. Maybe he is worth a shot in defence and Hayden gets a run on ball.
Ronnie made a few errors as well

Genuinely interesting comments, which, lets be honest, is rare for a player interview. "I dare say Melbourne train at a really high standard, we're striving for that, training has lifted but we need to lift again. Bring your mouthguard brutal sort of session kind stuff, the boys are buying into it we just need to keep ramping it up and we will keep seeing performances like that"

I don't think it was leadership fluff either, I've read ITKs here saying we need to get better at training, Boomer made some implications in a radio interview a month or so about it too, and track watchers comment on it occasionally too.
Must say I just don't get how we are not training hard enough. How the fugg does that work? If not, why not? WTF are our coaches doing if we aren't training at the right level? Just stuns me.

The entitlement from Melbourne supporters is about the worst I’ve ever seen.

Twice I had a go at different people for ‘Just ship them off to Hobart’

Your club is a stain that cheated.

Was so poorly managed the AFL appointed a CEO and Board members.

You got yourselves in to debt. Then out of debt. Then immediately back into debt and had to roll out Stines who was basically on his death bed to beg for more money. I mean there is no end to the depths your club will plumb. You have f*** all ground here.

I call massive bullshizen on the “this is the hardest sport in the world to officiate…” line.

It’s an excuse that gets trotted out every week to brush aside any scrutiny of umpiring standards.
Same.

Also, if it's so difficult to umpire then maybe at some point in the last few decades they should attempt to refine the rules in such a way as to make that job easier.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I find it odd that people think Perez and Taylor had good games with the ball. They had some bad clangers, but Perez in particular looked much more comfortable this week. It's just a shame that when someone like Hall, Scott, Hayden or Jed makes a similar clanger that people scream for their delisting. I'm looking forward to Hall getting back and working in tandem with Scott and Perez.

Back