Autopsy Round 10 - Autopsy vs Narrm - The Good, The Bad & The Oliver

Krakoueraddict

Team Captain
May 8, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I am willing to cop loses like that all year. Intent around the footy, not allowing the ball to move the length of the ground without pressure, controlling the ball for periods, and most importantly (for mine at least) staying in the game for more than a half.

Realistically we could have been a goal down at 3/4 time with some competent umpiring.

Xerri had the best 2 possession game I can remember.

Scott was great off the HBF.

Everything JHF touches turns to gold, the run and delivery of 45m passes to team mates advantage was beautiful. He should have had 3-4 goals on top of his quality game.

Goldy took it right up to Gawn who has had his number in the last 5 years.

CZ is a need, resign him up pronto. The fact he's been able to generate so many opportunities in our F50 the last month is a testament to his ability.

Overall I didn't think we were that far off it and can happily watch us deliver performances like that. Back it up next week boys and I'll be a happy camper.

Ruckle

Senior List
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m travelling so I haven’t seen the game, so with that in mind…

This is why I hate the new dissent rule. If the players are not able to give the umps a gobfull when they make a huge mistake, then how can they make corrections mid-game? The players have a bunch of coaches who give them a spray during the breaks - who’s letting the umps know they need to sort their s**t out?
I was, bit of a hoarse voice today though. Only advantage of the small crowd is the delusion that the umpire can hear you and cares.

William Caresser

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The defence (and the team behind the ball in general) had their best game for the year.

How a 74-34 inside-50 deficit only resulted in a 47 point loss was yesterday's miracle.

The 38-22 stoppage loss being a big part of that.

LDU, Anderson, Horne-Francis and Greenwood all had 10 contested possessions or more. But then we had a guy who attended 18 centre bounces and multiple other stoppages who had just 2 contested possessions. Jai Simpkin. That despite attending 18 centre bounces and multiple other stoppages.

Meanwhile Oliver had 22 contested possessions and won 11 stoppage clearances.

Simpkin has to be moved out of the midfield. Cannot have a player who attends the most centre bounces and other stoppages winning just 1 stoppage clearance and 2 contested possessions.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The defence (and the team behind the ball in general) had their best game for the year.

How a 74-34 inside-50 deficit only resulted in a 47 point loss was yesterday's miracle.

The 38-22 stoppage loss being a big part of that.

LDU, Anderson, Horne-Francis and Greenwood all had 10 contested possessions or more. But then we had a guy who attended 18 centre bounces and multiple other stoppages who had just 2 contested possessions. Jai Simpkin. That despite attending 18 centre bounces and multiple other stoppages.

Meanwhile Oliver had 22 contested possessions and won 11 stoppage clearances.

Simpkin has to be moved out of the midfield. Cannot have a player who attends the most centre bounces and other stoppages winning just 1 stoppage clearance and 2 contested possessions.
In his defence it seemed to be instruction that he was the first receiver rather than the extractor. The stoppage structure had him on the outside more often. I suspect it's part of trying to rectify our million blokes getting sucked into the contest.

In his defence it seemed to be instruction that he was the first receiver rather than the extractor. The stoppage structure had him on the outside more often. I suspect it's part of trying to rectify our million blokes getting sucked into the contest.
This is one of our biggest problems..Melbourne players were more disciplined in not venturing into congested contests there by creating outages for them to run the ball out from..

William Caresser

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sure but if the ball spills to a player at a centre bounce, given he's one of only four players in there, he has to try win that contested ball against his opponent given the other two plus ruck are invariably in different spots.

Maybe at other clearances, where there's more congestion, he might've been instructed to receive. But if that was the case, he only cleared the ball once in four quarters so it didn't work/he didn't do it well. And given how average his disposal is, you have to ask, why would he be playing that role? He doesn't make good disposal decisions in congestion and misses targets by hand and foot too regularly.

We got absolutely smashed around those clearances yesterday. The fact that we played much better behind the ball/in defence has papered over that. The 74 - 34 inside 50 deficit - yes Melbourne are reigning premiers but that's horrendous. And when Simpkin attends the most centre bounces and other stoppages but fails to get the ball or clear it, it's fair that questions are asked. Especially when Tom Powell only attended 1 centre bounce.

The coaching staff need to look at other roles for Simpkin.

Ischenko

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Was thinking same during the game. He’s not a defender. Try him as a tagger, especially when we are getting reamed.
He’s not an AFL footballer unfortunately.

We have some rippers though, Scott, Young and Perez looking like the sort of week-in-week out reliable role players that allow our genuine guns like JHF, LDU, Zurharr etc to shine. Upgrades on JMac, Atley, Dumont etc, I trust the process. We play like that most weeks we might even climb out of the bottom four.

Shout out to Walker for giving Brown a bath. Josh will be handy depth as we keep building.

Ischenko

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It was easily the best I’ve seen Xerri ruck. Particularly early. He was leading the hit outs to advantage all day
Yeah anyone potting Xerri’s game has nfi. I thought CCJ was stiff to be dropped but X was terrific, beating Gawn to tap to advantage for a goal and also snapping one of his own particular highlights.

Last edited:
Umpiring was clearly not the reason we lost.

However, they are making the game we love almost unwatchable.

Definitely at an all time low yesterday afternoon, and the bar was already bloody low to start with.

Incompetent. Horrendous. Infuriating.

I don’t watch games as a neutral now because of the way they inject themselves into the contest.

Also all the dissent rule has done is pushed vitriol into coming from the stands.

North supporters should be allowed to carry bricks to games as a cultural right.

Mr Lloyd Christmas

Premiership Player
May 5, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don’t watch games as a neutral now because of the way they inject themselves into the contest.

Also all the dissent rule has done is pushed vitriol into coming from the stands.

North supporters should be allowed to carry bricks to games as a cultural right.

Totally agree.

I don't watch neutral games either for exactly that reason.

The game is actively being destroyed by the AFL rules committee and the umpires themselves.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The early penalising of Tarryn's perfect tackle set the tone for the umpiring from go to whoa, and not just Eleni either.

Effort was there today, thanks boys.
The umpires made it very clear from pretty much the outset. They almost always err on the side off favouring the higher ranked team or the home team if the crowd is big. It is not always apparent in the count of frees, but it’s generally obvious with regard to the rub of the green wit the 50/50s and then of course, the blatantly obvious misses or wrongly paid frees.

Everybody knows. Every team cops it from time to time but there are a few or the lesser teams that seem to cop the rough end more then their (un)fair share.

After watching the replay sober I have to say there was at least 6 umpiring decisions that produced gaols for Melbourne or cost us shots at goal.
Again turnovers were the killer and that final kick into the forward line.
Hopefully the boys can keep that effort up for the rest of the year.
One game it will click with the skills and we will all be excited

I must say Cam Mooney was very positive towards us. Jason Dunstall who is a fairly level headed person made a great point- North need to draft players that can kick the footy. We have a couple of youngsters that are ok but need consistently good kickers and more importantly use them

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I must say Cam Mooney was very positive towards us. Jason Dunstall who is a fairly level headed person made a great point- North need to draft players that can kick the footy. We have a couple of youngsters that are ok but need consistently good kickers and more importantly use them
Nobles game plan is reliant on players that can use the ball well. Since he came to the club I don’t think that we’ve drafted anyone that is just an average kick (bar Spicer and maybe Goater who are elite athletically).

May 8, 2003
Hamish Paradise
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Islanders, Nuggets
Umpiring was clearly not the reason we lost.

However, they are making the game we love almost unwatchable.

Definitely at an all time low yesterday afternoon, and the bar was already bloody low to start with.

Incompetent. Horrendous. Infuriating.
Amen.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
They were OK. Hudson on the other hand, he can eat a tin of dogfood.

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nobles game plan is reliant on players that can use the ball well. Since he came to the club I don’t think that we’ve drafted anyone that is just an average kick (bar Spicer and maybe Goater who are elite athletically).
Totally agree.

The thing is though I'd like to see how we go when we have the current predicament of using players that don't use the ball as well. I'd rather we drill the game style that stacks up against the best of teams regardless of whether we dominate the stoppages or contested situations. In the past that's been our forte no doubt but it's also our catastrophic downfall when teams are beating us in stoppages. Petrie's impact in the air mitigated how unimaginative we were getting the ball in bombing it long repeatedly.

Controlling the ball allows us to setup the play and control the tempo so we don't gas ourselves. Additionally, we need to look at finding the right balance forward of the ball where we would need one forward providing a leading target, and another doubling back zipping around creating uncertainty.

Game plans will get drilled well enough to see more of what we saw yesterday. The Dees were clearly frustrated at the fact we were picking them apart at times.

To put it simply, to be the better team when your team is so hamstrung by injuries and missing personnel crucial to structures, is a huge plus despite the fade in the last.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Totally agree.

The thing is though I'd like to see how we go when we have the current predicament of using players that don't use the ball as well. I'd rather we drill the game style that stacks up against the best of teams regardless of whether we dominate the stoppages or contested situations. In the past that's been our forte no doubt but it's also our catastrophic downfall when teams are beating us in stoppages. Petrie's impact in the air mitigated how unimaginative we were getting the ball in bombing it long repeatedly.

Controlling the ball allows us to setup the play and control the tempo so we don't gas ourselves. Additionally, we need to look at finding the right balance forward of the ball where we would need one forward providing a leading target, and another doubling back zipping around creating uncertainty.

Game plans will get drilled well enough to see more of what we saw yesterday. The Dees were clearly frustrated at the fact we were picking them apart at times.

To put it simply, to be the better team when your team is so hamstrung by injuries and missing personnel crucial to structures, is a huge plus despite the fade in the last.
It’s certainly a balance. You don’t want to play a style that hides incompetent players, equally you don’t want to play a style that is so far outside the current groups grasp that we get pumped every week.

I thought they found a good balance half way through 2021, yet appeared to fall apart this year.

At the very least, we should be focusing on retaining possession. This year, we’ve rarely had possession chains that last more then 2 or 3 possessions. We are far too quick to throw it on the boot, which results in a 2 on 1 or 50/50 which we often lose. We look far better when we find a target, take our time & take the long/dangerous kick when it’s on.

The Sydney & Melbourne games stand out, as we didn’t rush this. We retained possession, ran for each other & allowed our forwards to structure up. I don’t really know why it’s taken half a year to rectify it? But it’s how we should be playing moving forward.

Back