Autopsy Round 10 - Autopsy vs Narrm - The Good, The Bad & The Oliver

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
People that are happy to hang their hat on our “effort” yesterday need to look at Pies and Hawks. Both out side the top 8 taking it up to top 4 sides.

It is actually possible to put in effort AND play well.
I don’t think yesterday was just effort.

We had a clear brand, system of how we wanted to play & the players were able to execute for more then 1 or 2 quarters.

We were missing our best defender McKay, & not to mention our best midfielder in Cunnington. How do you think Collingwood & Hawthorn would go against the top sides without Moore/Crisp/Sicily/Mitchell?

Melbourne are by far the best side in the competition & we were 1 goal down in the 3rd (despite them scoring multiple goals from strange free kicks).

Some of our young players showed some really good signs - LDU, JHF, Powell, Zurhaar, Scott.

I don’t think there is anything wrong about feeling positive and optimistic about yesterday based on the above. Now to maintain it is the next test.

How do you think Collingwood & Hawthorn would go against the top sides without Moore/Crisp/Sicily/Mitchell?

The difference between the senior cores of the sides is stark.

We have under gone a root and branch rebuild those two sides have not.

And it shows.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
We should have been in front at 3/4 time. One of the few times I thought the umps actually impacted the score.

At least we had a clear plan and was able to execute it. It resulted in inflated possession and mark counts so that's deceiving. I wish I could find score sources, but it felt like we were better at defending TOs this week? Anyone else feel that? They ust smashed us in contested footy, and the frees.

Apr 24, 2011
Greek Islands
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The only positive about the umpiring nowdays is that given we are stuck down the bottom for probably the next few years their bumbling decision making won’t really matter. Imagine losing a top 4 spot, a final or a grand final if you copped the umpiring we got served up yesterday. Every collision that occurs out there nowdays they microscopically look for any sort of infringement to pay and are ready to dish out 50m if a player reacts to them in any way.
Was as good as you could have expected yesterday. The team put in the effort and tried to play to a plan. Thought we had some really good passages of play and kept the D’s honest for 3 qtrs.

Jul 18, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The only positive about the umpiring nowdays is that given we are stuck down the bottom for probably the next few years their bumbling decision making won’t really matter. Imagine losing a top 4 spot, a final or a grand final if you copped the umpiring we got served up yesterday. Every collision that occurs out there nowdays they microscopically look for any sort of infringement to pay and are ready to dish out 50m if a player reacts to them in any way.
Was as good as you could have expected yesterday. The team put in the effort and tried to play to a plan. Thought we had some really good passages of play and kept the D’s honest for 3 qtrs.

Did you notice the collision between Petracca and Curtis Taylor on the members wing just outside 50 when Petracca ran under ball and Curtis ran into the back of him and bounced off? Petracca to his credit didn't react. Almost like he didn't notice the contact and certainly didn't fall forward in the slightest. He wasn't playing for a free kick, didn't demand a free kick, and was as surprised as anyone when he was awarded the free kick. In fact, I think he was so embarrassed by the decision that he kicked the ball out on the full.

That, to me, was the clearest indication that the umpires were trying to enforce a non-contact sport.

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Was ready to jump the fence after Oliver was able to pick up the ball, hold onto it and then not even dispose properly on the boot tackled perfectly by Greenwood.

This sport gives me grey hairs more than our club does.

FootySmartSimpson

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Was ready to jump the fence after Oliver was able to pick up the ball, hold onto it and then not even dispose properly on the boot tackled perfectly by Greenwood.

This sport gives me grey hairs more than our club does.
Which instance? There were probably 4-non-HtB decisions at crucial stages unpaid.

And then just for the full 12-point-play effect, after the non-calls, our players would be pinged if the ball was knocked out of their hands or after 1 second of tackling without prior.

Probably the worst umpiring I have seen. Mostly because the umpires were not only influencing the score of the game but completely and deliberately disrupting the flow of what was a pretty red-hot game for three and a bit quarters.

Shame.

Walker played on Brown correct?

If this is true then it is fair to say that Josh gave the inflatable arm man a bath.

8 touches for 0.2 vs 19 touches with 7 intercept possessions.

Rooboys13

Rookie
Mar 29, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Which instance? There were probably 4-non-HtB decisions at crucial stages unpaid.

And then just for the full 12-point-play effect, after the non-calls, our players would be pinged if the ball was knocked out of their hands or after 1 second of tackling without prior.

Probably the worst umpiring I have seen. Mostly because the umpires were not only influencing the score of the game but completely and deliberately disrupting the flow of what was a pretty red-hot game for three and a bit quarters.

Shame.
Correct, I watched the replay, a lot of their frees in the first half were in the goal square or thereabouts for non events. We could have been 4 goals up at one stage if the 50’s against LDU , the Corr incident x2, and the TT tackle were not paid, and Horne’s unpaid too high in the goal square.....it goes on. If we were level scores or in front at the last change , our momentum would have taken us far. The fade out was abridge too far at the end. The umps killed our momentum and belief. It’s disappointing.

Walker played on Brown correct?

If this is true then it is fair to say that Josh gave the inflatable arm man a bath.

8 touches for 0.2 vs 19 touches with 7 intercept possessions.
Walker is a bit funny like that. Can give guys like Brown and Darling baths, but then have Josh Bruce smash him. All between the ears.

The Anvil

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne

We don’t need to imagine, we have the 2015 preliminary final against WC as factual evidence of what this looks like

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

speedy

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2001
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Is Simpkin playing injured or is he just putrid atm? He has zero care factor with the accuracy of his disposals.

Except for Lmac, Bmac, Larkey & Scott, every player has gone backwards this year.

Players who definitely haven't gone backwards this year:

Corr, Taylor, JHF, Scott, LDU, Young, Greenwood, Walker, Larkey, CCJ, Buckets, Powell, Paul Curtis, Xerri, Perez, Zurhaar.

There are arguments to be made for other players improvements too.

Players who definitely haven't gone backwards this year:

Corr, Taylor, JHF, Scott, LDU, Young, Greenwood, Walker, Larkey, CCJ, Buckets, Powell, Paul Curtis, Xerri, Perez, Zurhaar.

There are arguments to be made for other players improvements too.

You’re doing it wrong.

Everything is bad and always will be.

Back