Autopsy Round 10 - Autopsy vs Narrm - The Good, The Bad & The Oliver

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Hard to be gutted after an effort and system like that.

Young players put in well and most contributed to our upswing. Senior players were ok to good though Jack is increasingly exposed for his deficiencies. It is what it is and perhaps Eddie being unavailable stems any pressure on his spot.

If the umpiring had given us a fair go we may have been fighting to hold a lead in the 3rd quarter rather than having to work hard to stay in it.

The inclusion I still disagree with was Bosenvulagi sneaking back into the squad again who I feel serves no clear purpose in his role. Perhaps a result of availability only. If someone like Goater gets back on the park I'd rather give him a blooding game than continue to develop a guy I just can't see a future role for.

The only kicker from the overall result was (and I'm confident Noble is not Brad in this sense) I wouldn't want to think the squad were too pleased with themselves afterwards. We still let it blow out to 8 goals.

Anyway as per the Sydney game the challenge is to see which North turn up against St Kilda. The 2nd half of 2021 was mostly encouraging because we began to show a system and some promise and even the wider media recognised it and gave us a kind treatment over summer.

Hopefully we can generate the same positive sentiment to see out 2022 and hit the trade period with some really strong pull for potential recruits.

Anyway as per the Sydney game the challenge is to see which North turn up against St Kilda. The 2nd half of 2021 was mostly encouraging because we began to show a system and some promise and even the wider media recognised it and gave us a kind treatment over summer.

While there are a lot of posters that will point to these as excuses there are a bunch of reasons that I think we find ourselves where we are currently and I really want to believe that we saw of Saturday night was a more clear indication that the tide is turning.

• Our preseason reportedly very interrupted by covid
  • we stripped more senior players out last year and further exposed gaps, especially with the interrupted preseason
  • We have had a torrid run with injuries to areas we could ill afford to lose players, namely the KPD and the midfield. If you think about KPD and on ball the only players to have played all games are Josh Walkers and Goldy.
  • Coaching issues with regards to both game day and where we have tried to move the ball. We have clearly played more conservative in the last couple of weeks. Which has led to more constructive ball movement generally.
  • Our senior players lack quality and this has also been exposed. Our best senior player we were playing in the forward pocket while trying to facilitate a too tall structure to accommodate the blokes we are cycling through to find his replacement. Not sustainable.

All of this is to say, last year was a mess and we didn't get our first win till round 9 but you could see it building in the weeks prior. This year we have largely played like s**t but I feel like we have hit the point where we are actually starting to build.

Against Poort we played 2 decent quarters. Against the self entitled flogs on the weekend we played 2 and a half decent quarters.

I doubt we can get Saint Kilda because outside stuff is our kryptonite. Who the f*** knows what will happen in Darwin, it'll probably be 4.16 to 3.26 at twilight no less.

GWS at docklands though, if we continue to build we should be in it up to our eye balls.

sruss

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
While there are a lot of posters that will point to these as excuses there are a bunch of reasons that I think we find ourselves where we are currently and I really want to believe that we saw of Saturday night was a more clear indication that the tide is turning.

• Our preseason reportedly very interrupted by covid
  • we stripped more senior players out last year and further exposed gaps, especially with the interrupted preseason
  • We have had a torrid run with injuries to areas we could ill afford to lose players, namely the KPD and the midfield. If you think about KPD and on ball the only players to have played all games are Josh Walkers and Goldy.
  • Coaching issues with regards to both game day and where we have tried to move the ball. We have clearly played more conservative in the last couple of weeks. Which has led to more constructive ball movement generally.
  • Our senior players lack quality and this has also been exposed. Our best senior player we were playing in the forward pocket while trying to facilitate a too tall structure to accommodate the blokes we are cycling through to find his replacement. Not sustainable.

All of this is to say, last year was a mess and we didn't get our first win till round 9 but you could see it building in the weeks prior. This year we have largely played like s**t but I feel like we have hit the point where we are actually starting to build.

Against Poort we played 2 decent quarters. Against the self entitled flogs on the weekend we played 2 and a half decent quarters.

I doubt we can get Saint Kilda because outside stuff is our kryptonite. Who the f*** knows what will happen in Darwin, it'll probably be 4.16 to 3.26 at twilight no less.

GWS at docklands though, if we continue to build we should be in it up to our eye balls.
Good points and agree with you, but re: the bolded - I just found it amusing that you’ve identified the KPD as a potential pool of players rather than just Walker and McKay

Good points and agree with you, but re: the bolded - I just found it amusing that you’ve identified the KPD as a potential pool of players rather than just Walker and McKay
There is a pool.

It is bloody shallow though.

Walker, Corr, Buckets, Beanstalk McStout.

We try to add Bonar playing tall here. Which on the weekend was Kyron Hayden. Kyron Hayden was playing as a key position defender. The kid is a tagger, who we have tried to turn into a defender, then in turn we played him of Tom McDonald for stints on Saturday night.

It is a sad state of affairs.

The only one I can think of that has less coverage is KPFs which is
Souva, Chalkbones Comben, Makeshift ruckmen or Walker....

We try to add Jack playing tall here. We also tried playing 3 ruckmen to fill the void, land of the giants nonsense.

If we had a CHB and a CHF we may absolutely would look like a more functional football side

Screenshot_20220523-160855_Samsung Internet.jpg

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Adds speculation to the Noble not rating LDU conspiracy...

My guess..

Noble:
5 - Oliver
4 - McDonald
3 - Sparrow
2 - Trac
1 - Corr

Goodwin:
5 - Oliver
4 - Trac
3 - Sparrow
2 - LDU
1 - Spargo

I enjoy shouting at shadows.

There's no reason to suppose the 2 votes from Luke didn't come from Noble other than this general notion he might not rate LDU?

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There's no reason to suppose the 2 votes from Luke didn't come from Noble other than this general notion he might not rate LDU?
Correct.

My actual reasoning is that Noble spoke highly of Corr in his presser so I assume he gave him the 1 vote. I don't think Noble would have given two of our players votes.

Could I be wrong? Yes. Do I think I am? No.

RHLK

Club Legend
Aug 3, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Subiaco
The 50 was there, was a stupid throw, but it wanst a push out in the first place.

Soon after LDU got pinged a Melb player was penalised for holding the ball in the middle of the ground. While North players streamed forward he took ages to get up and then just left the ball at his feet as he stood on the mark, forcing the recipient (LDU?), who'd gone back for his kick, to have to run in and get the ball himself. The Melb player was in possession when the free was given, so surely he must throw it back. Wasted more time than LDU's lob, broke the rules, cynically, right in front of the umpire who did nothing. :shoutyoldman:

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
Walker is a bit funny like that. Can give guys like Brown and Darling baths, but then have Josh Bruce smash him. All between the ears.
It is certainly not known to our coaching staff that Walker can play on the big blokes but quick and agile forward tear him up.

When we played Geelong I could not believe he went to Cameron and McKay was on Hawkins. Neither could work and they didn't.

Josh has had two clean sheet games so far this year and several where he has conceded only one goal but that's all he does and only when playing on the right forward.

Aug 16, 2009
North Caulfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hard to be gutted after an effort and system like that.

Young players put in well and most contributed to our upswing. Senior players were ok to good though Jack is increasingly exposed for his deficiencies. It is what it is and perhaps Eddie being unavailable stems any pressure on his spot.

If the umpiring had given us a fair go we may have been fighting to hold a lead in the 3rd quarter rather than having to work hard to stay in it.

The inclusion I still disagree with was Bosenvulagi sneaking back into the squad again who I feel serves no clear purpose in his role. Perhaps a result of availability only. If someone like Goater gets back on the park I'd rather give him a blooding game than continue to develop a guy I just can't see a future role for.

The only kicker from the overall result was (and I'm confident Noble is not Brad in this sense) I wouldn't want to think the squad were too pleased with themselves afterwards. We still let it blow out to 8 goals.

Hopefully we can generate the same positive sentiment to see out 2022 and hit the trade period with some really strong pull for potential recruits.
Atu looks to me the most cruisey player ever......just gliding around out there. Looks completely disinterested to me. I wonder is Sleevo his training partner in drills.

Back