Preview Round 10: Brisbane Lions v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, with you BuntonRules , thought Walker was unlucky, deserved a few games as the KPD to show us what hes got IMO.

I would like to see the final 4 on the bench be Cedric Cox, Rhys Matheison, Hugh McCluggage and Archie Smith.

Thought Paparone was a tad lucky to stay in, I would have had him out and Bastinac in.

Last edited:

Walker unlucky.

Extended bench- if 3 to drop off are coming from bench:
Rohan Bewick
Michael Close
Hugh McCluggage (simply so Cox can play - let Hugh have a fortnight in Melbourne too).

Bench:
Ryan Bastinac
Rhys Mathieson
Archie Smith
Cedrick Cox

Makes sense that Bell, Harwood go.
CBeams injured.
Walker maybe needs a bit more development as a KPD in NEAFL.

Walker unluck I reckon, clearly not doing enough of what the coaches expect from him.
I'm hoping for luggage, Beast mode, Cox and Close for the bench.

Good ins and outs. Don't need to talk about Bell, he's awful and we know it. Harwood was lucky to get so many games, had a lot of chances to impress. Bastinac might add a bit of class with the ball which would be a nice change from every other player in this side just pumping it forward constantly.

Fagan seems to have an approach that when a best 22 player returns after a week or two, his replacement drops straight out. Walker/McStay is another example of this.
Think it's more, whoever is more effective in a certain role will play. Not sure we have a 'best 22' as such in that regard. Pretty minor distinction but gives any player hope they can play firsts footy as opposed to having favourites in the side (Walker notwithstanding).

That's how I see it anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cox will definitely get a game he's going to be wearing 67 as part of indigenous round..Beams to wear 50.

From the extended bench I'd have Cox, McCluggage, Archie & Mathieson

Archie can come in as second ruck taking over Close's role, plus I'd like to see how Hipwood and Hammelmann work together. Our forwards haven't been able to get much delivery but I've liked what I've seen from Hammer so far this season. He's got a good kick and has shown some clean hands, could be a dangerous combo with Hippy

Playing Hammer over Close would be the dumbest selection I've ever seen.
Have to agree. Though hammer needs more AFL time for his own continuity, I think Close will have a greater impact as a lead up and link and has more experience.

We have to have someone in the forward line over 80kg.

He was great in the first half last week taking contested marks and crashing packs.

Possibly I don't have a problem with Close missing...he's still only a kid and the ACL injury set his development back a bit.. I don't mind him missing a week to "See what we have on our list".

Looking at the back line named and i like the fact that we have taken into account what a small forward line the Pies have. No point playing 3 talls down back. We need to generate some run from down back.

That is one of the things that has killed us in recent weeks, those midsized opposition forwards, and PIes have 3 very handy ones in Fasolo, Elliot, and Hoskin-Elliot.
The other thing though is I think one of our KPFs could have a big game. Goldsack lining up at CHB and Dunn their other KPD, they have 2 mid sized/tallish intercepting defenders in Howe and Schranberg. BUT if we can isolate Dunn or Goldsack deep inside 50 we could snag a few goals.

Hope not. He was good early last week, quite a few good marks and gave us some direction. Unfortunately like the rest of the team he faded out of the game.
IMO McStay plays down back, Smith up front & gives Stef a rest when needed. Cox named as an emergency with Bastinac & Matho back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back