Preview Round 10 - Brisbane Lions v Sydney Swans at the Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How sweet it is to be writing this preview after a win! Go Lions!

Brisbane Lions v Sydney Swans at the Gabba Saturday 26th May 4.35pm.

Weather – partly cloudy, 40% chance of showers, 15 to 20km/h winds throughout the day.

Last 5 times we’ve met -

R7, 2017, Sydney 20.15 (135) d Lions 12.9 (81) at the SCG

R6, 2016, Sydney 15.7 (97) d Lions 14.10 (94) at the Gabba

R15, 2015, Sydney 10.10 (70) d Lions 7.7 (49) at the Gabba

R7, 2014, Sydney 18.15 (123) d Lions 6.8 (44) at the Gabba

R6, 2013, Sydney 17.13 (115) d Lions 8.7 (55) at the SCG

(NOT GREAT READING THERE)

Swannies currently sitting 5th with a percentage of 114.6%. Coming off a big win against Freo at the SCG.

Lions currently in 17th spot with a percentage of 82.4% up from 72% the week before. Coming off a massive victory over the Hawks for our first win of the year. It’s amazing what a good win can do. The boys should have gained a massive amount of confidence from this win particularly with the way they finished the game off by steamrolling the Hawks especially in the second half. Their pressure was up and the Hawks felt it and made some uncharacteristic mistakes as a result. We will need to play a similar brand of footy again if we are to stand any chance against Sydney.

Sydney has dominated the Brisbane Lions over a long period of time, winning the last ten matches, with four by more than 60 points. The Lions haven’t won against Sydney since round 22, 2009. Very similar to the Hawks prior to the game on the weekend (maybe that’s a good omen for us).

We will likely go in unchanged again after such a strong performance, unchanged for 3 games in a row, seems like it has been a long time since that has happened? The only question mark for me was that Mitch Robbo looked a little sore after trampling on Sicily’s head (had to laugh at that) and I was watching him quite closely after and especially after half time he looked very sore.

Our team will have a completely different line up to last year’s game against Sydney, with up to a possible 10 (no shows) from that game, Tom Rockliff, Ryan Lester, Ryan Harwood, Ben Keays, Michael Close, Jake Barrett, Sam Mayes, Josh Schache, Claye Beams and Marco Paparone (believe it or not) I can’t even remember him playing a game last year. I feel terrible, but it feels like years since we have seen him in the AFL side. He had a pretty decent game too with 28 Disposals at 71.4%, 19 kicks, 9 marks only (1 tackle) 5 contested possessions and a fantasy score of 106 points second only to the “one and only” Fantasy pig, Tom Rockliff.

Rocky had a massive game last year with 32 Disposals at 78%, 12 contested, 7 clearances, 6 inside 50’s and 2 goals and (167 Fantasy points) to say he will be missed in this game is an understatement.

Out of the players listed above, Maybe Lester or Mayes could be brought back in for this week’s game. But very doubtful there will be any changes other than an injury.

The Swans are struggling a bit in the big man department and big Stef has another opportunity to dominate the ruck contests, and hopefully give our boys first crack at the footy. But we do all know that Stef has a tendency to slap the ball straight down an opponents throat. He was very good against the Hawks and has been steadily improving in this area over the last couple of years. I think long term O’Mac will be a better (tap) ruckman than Stef, he has shown some pretty good signs in the ruck and forward since coming into the team. He may not be as good around the ground??? but he will make up for it in his tap work. He is developing nicely and lots to look forward to there.

Lance (Buddy) Franklin (who is lucky to be playing if you ask me) had been unavailable since round 5 due to injury but come back last week against Freo and kicked 3 goals which now gives him a total of 301 goals for Sydney after also kicking over 300 at the Hawks making him one of only 2 players in VFL/AFL history to have kicked 300 goals for 2 clubs. The other being Tony Lockett.

Buddy the Superstar has a habit of kicking a bag against us, kicking 8 in round 7 last year and also played all four quarters in the JLT earlier this year, kicking four goals and giving off two more to be easily the most influential player in that game. The likes of Harris Andrews, Matty Eagles (The Cult Hero) and Darcy Gardiner will all have to play as a team to curb his influence.

It’s at the coal face where Sydney do most of their best work. And after comparing this year’s stats of the 2 teams, other than points for and against, the only real difference is that they are averaging 12 more contested possessions per game than us this year, currently top 5 (we are dead last). They also top the tables in clearances, (we are bottom 5). Although it is an area of improvement we are still a long way behind the best teams in these areas. These 2 areas are where we really need to match them for us to stand any chance to win this game. Guys like Kennedy, Hannebury, Parker, Jack, Heeney, Mills there are a lot of blokes to watch out for this week.

Therefore our inside boys will need to be on top of their game to win or at least match them in the middle and get the ball moving forward quickly to our 3 triplet towers in Hippy, O,Mac and McStay who are all starting to gel, after being together for 4 weeks now. Having O’mac in there has helped Hippy to get off the chain the last couple of weeks and has had 14 shots on goal in the last 2 weeks.

Unfortunately, I won’t be able to make the game this week, my daughter has her first School Aerobics competition and needs to be there at 4.30, believe it or not. And I have been telling her all along that I would not miss it for the world. So I have to be a Daddy first. Lions fan later.

I hope the boys can back up their performance from the weekend and put in another good show in front of home fans at the Gabba. The vibe at the Gabba has been brilliant this year, an air of expectation is building.

If the Lions are to win, it will not be another runaway victory.

Lions in a close one by 9 points.

Sydney has dominated the Brisbane Lions over a long period of time, winning the last ten matches, with four by more than 60 points. The Lions haven’t won against Sydney since round 22, 2009. Very similar to the Hawks prior to the game on the weekend (maybe that’s a good omen for us).

Except for in the NEAFL where we dominate. And of course, the all-important contest, the big show, the AFLX.

Oscar's not the pseudo-midfielder that Stef is and we've had glimpses of from Archie, a much more traditional ruck-forward, good tapwork and he's clearly worrying the opposition defenders when he sits in the forwardline. Having Stef play pseudo-mid is great especially with our current midfield weakness but there's nowt wrong with the more traditional role.

Buddy bloody lucky to get off. How is what he did not even a little bit careless? Aren't we about protecting the head? Swung an elbow head height at an oncoming player? Picking and choosing when to protect the head?
I saw it as Careless and high impact. Surely that at least worth a fine or something.
Hamling didn’t lower his head to elbow level. Buddy raised his elbow to head level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
Sicily wasn’t seriously hurt. Joel Hamling was concussed.
But it was an accidental concussion from what I saw.

Obviously a good thing that Sicily wasn't hurt, otherwise it would've been looked at a bit more closely.

SonnyBoy1

Senior List
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We could lose by 60+ and i would still be happy because of last week.

We are a massive chance

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Would be terrific to see Matty the Eagle on Buddy, from reality show contestant to playing on one of the GOATs in 18 months.

Kevvo

Premium Platinum
Oct 17, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
But it was an accidental concussion from what I saw.

Obviously a good thing that Sicily wasn't hurt, otherwise it would've been looked at a bit more closely.

Maybe so. I find Michael Christian’s explanation a little confusing, but you’re right in the sense that Mitch’s drop was clearly intentional where Buddy’s was, at worst, a little reckless.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Would be terrific to see Matty the Eagle on Buddy, from reality show contestant to playing on one of the GOATs in 18 months.
It is an amazing story and would love to see him spend time on Buddy.

Not necessarily in the wake of Eagles debut and string of games, but is there a third installment of the Recruit planned? Obviously making it and playing (even) a senior game is tangible and Eagles' success must be a massive incentive to aspiring participants.

Comeback Lions

Premium Platinum
Jul 2, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sydney Uni Flames
Much better to be playing the Swans after a big win, than last year when they had lost the first six. I reckon the Gabba form is more of a guide and we only lost by 3pts in 2016. They have won their away games, but usually after home losses, so we're meeting them at a relatively good time. Kennedy's form has been up and down this year. Parker strikes me as the man to stop in the midfield. I'm not worried about Buddy... their smaller forwards like Ronke and Hayward have done the damage in their away wins. We need big games from Rich and Witherden. Play like last Sunday and we WILL beat them. I am so sick of losing to Sydney... 2009, was that when Sherman kicked the winning goal at the SCG?

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Courtesy of Mr Ripper in the Old Timers' thread;
Is this run of “gallant” losses taking anyone back in time some 40 years?View attachment 497742
swhk.JPG
First 2 wins in 1978; Swans and Hawks. In consecutive weeks. Spooky.

It is an amazing story and would love to see him spend time on Buddy.

Not necessarily in the wake of Eagles debut and string of games, but is there a third installment of the Recruit planned? Obviously making it and playing (even) a senior game is tangible and Eagles' success must be a massive incentive to aspiring participants.

Also eagles success is priceless advertising for the show. People will be more interested knowing that it is a genuine pathway to Afl.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Buddy bloody lucky to get off. How is what he did not even a little bit careless? Aren't we about protecting the head? Swung an elbow head height at an oncoming player? Picking and choosing when to protect the head?

I'm big on the fact Michael Christiansen is doing a good job as MRO. I think the hysteria over the bump is mis-placed, you elect to bump and you hit the head, you get weeks, players head and neck need to be protected especially after what happened to Clarke. I also think sling and pile drive tackles should be outlawed, go and watch how Mitch Robinson tackles, he causes gasps from the crowd without ever risking neck and head injury. Half the time those sling tackle are just lazy and have nothing to do with being tough.

However with the Buddy one, I just don't get the outrage and don't think it deserved weeks. It was a pure footy action, footy tucked under the arm and crashing through 3 players, it looked like a shrug that accidentally collected a player. Had it been with the opposite arm out stretched and a punching motion or a glancing coat hanger and he ran past that would be different - but in this instance it was a pure football action. His elbow was hardly even out stretched at the point of contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back