Toast Round 10 = Carlton 57-85 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

The cap was brought in to slow the game down allegedly to “help reduce soft tissue and impact injuries”.

The reality was that they didn’t like the look of players constantly coming off and on

What makes the whole thing stupid is that higher rotations lead to a faster more attacking game. Which also happens to be what the AFL wants

But then a team as fit as us would have an even bigger advantage if they upped the rotations lol. It’s partly why they brought the cap in in the first place.

Any time Collingwood has even a slight perceived advantage, rule change comes in.

Clement? Hands in the back
High rotations? Cap them
Ginnivan doing a Selwood? Change the interpretation

No team causes rule changes like we do
High rotations? Stop Swannie.

The cap was brought in to slow the game down allegedly to “help reduce soft tissue and impact injuries”.

The reality was that they didn’t like the look of players constantly coming off and on

What makes the whole thing stupid is that higher rotations lead to a faster more attacking game. Which also happens to be what the AFL wants

But then a team as fit as us would have an even bigger advantage if they upped the rotations lol. It’s partly why they brought the cap in in the first place.

Any time Collingwood has even a slight perceived advantage, rule change comes in.

Clement? Hands in the back
High rotations? Cap them
Ginnivan doing a Selwood? Change the interpretation

No team causes rule changes like we do
Nope. The cap was brought in to give less opportunities for players to rest on the bench then come out and go like the clappers. This was in the hope that it would reduce congestion around the ball as players get more fatigued. It worked.

It was supposed to make it slower.

More fatigued players means more goals.

That was the idea as far as I recall it.
Yes, that was the Kevin Bartlett theory. Not sure if it's working across the league, but it certainly seems to work for us.

Less closing like the grim reaper, and more like doing this in the first quarter;

giphy.gif

get awkward when we have expansion teams on the ropes - happy with a comfortable win but dont want to push beyond that

not so carlton ..... bury them so deep their corpse wont be exposed until our solar system succumbs to the violent death expected of our sun ....... then pile on a few more redtime goals just for good measure :drunk:

TA has always had sketchy disposal, and decision making, and gives away too many frees. But he also brings a lot of grunt and pressure, plus leadership, and, curtailing opposition mids, & limits the demands on Mitchell to take on all of this blue collar work. Which no-one in the twos have shown they can do - to the same level. This is the conundrum. Macrae and Josh are better users, but dont have the same presence. Adams also has runs on the board re what he is capable of, with his AA blazer a sure sign of how effective he can be when he gets it right. Its just for McRae and co to get him back to that place again, and we should b very hard to beat, even for the Lions & demons

Adams is one of my all time faves. The reality is that he's been squeezed out of the midfield by Titch, JDG and the emergence of the Daicos boys. Adams grunt work is top shelf but as that high half forward, it's going to be his ability to make elite decisions and then execute well, that will keep him in the side. Guys like McCreery and Elliott can provide the grunt work at ground level inside 50 to an elite standard. I'd love to see Adams find some A grade form but it is what it is. Guys won't be getting selected on what they did 3-4 years ago.

In 4-6 weeks time, if we have a fit and firing Lippa, he is far better suited to that Half Forward role than Adams is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He does have 3 premierships more than Nathan to his name

I'm talking as a coach. Just catching the replay. Vossy is sitting in the box with the most helpless look on his face the entire game. He's so far out of his depth as a coach. At least Nathan took us to a GF and was an umpiring decision away from being a Premiership Coach.

Less closing like the grim reaper, and more like doing this in the first quarter;

giphy.gif

It's funny

Not necessarily on this board, but I saw a lot of sentiment of being wary of constantly waiting for the last quarter to finish games.

This week we ended a game in the first half and then I see complaints about dropping off or pumping the brakes in the second half lol

Like, I know we're a ridiculously fit side, but I don't think we're so fit that we can play at our manic level for 4 quarters. Not sure that's even humanly possible

We need the Carlton board and football department to hold the line

Keep Voss at least until the end of his contract. In the meantime, we should try and poach anything of value out of them.

Try get De Konig. Unless of course Geelong are pulling another cap rort of course.

2nd most overrated player on that list after Jack Silvagni.

Carlton fans, including Edmund keep looking at their list and see how talented their top 10 is (as good or better than most in the comp) and ignore the fact that the rest are hot garbage. I’ve never seen anything quite like the gulf in quality between the two halves of their best 22.

Correct. Everyone keeps banging on about how s**t hot the list is. If it were that good than their 2's would be undefeated in the VFL. They're sitting 14th.

Adams is one of my all time faves. The reality is that he's been squeezed out of the midfield by Titch, JDG and the emergence of the Daicos boys. Adams grunt work is top shelf but as that high half forward, it's going to be his ability to make elite decisions and then execute well, that will keep him in the side. Guys like McCreery and Elliott can provide the grunt work at ground level inside 50 to an elite standard. I'd love to see Adams find some A grade form but it is what it is. Guys won't be getting selected on what they did 3-4 years ago.

In 4-6 weeks time, if we have a fit and firing Lippa, he is far better suited to that Half Forward role than Adams is.
This in spades.

Adams is an important cog in the broader context of the squad, as he provides cover for Mitchell and the rest of the midfield. He'll be handy where we want our half forwards to roll up to the contest, as his value lies in extracting the ball and feeding our outside runners.

Lipinski's return should only serve to drive further competition for places.

This in spades.

Adams is an important cog in the broader context of the squad, as he provides cover for Mitchell and the rest of the midfield. He'll be handy where we want our half forwards to roll up to the contest, as his value lies in extracting the ball and feeding our outside runners.

Lipinski's return should only serve to drive further competition for places.

This is where the frustration lies from his performance on Sunday. He would extract the ball or be involved in a handball chain before either making a poor decision or costly skill error. He should know his game inside out by now. First option is generally the best and even more so for players like Adams. I would love to see him succeed, i'm just not sure he is the best man for the role in the 2nd half of the season.

2nd most overrated player on that list after Jack Silvagni.

I really wish people would stop dismissing players like this with such ease

Like, I'm not sure how Frampton hasn't shown everyone what a player can become in our environment?

I honestly prefer to see the best a player has produced (even if only for one game) and then back our environment to get that (or close to it) on a consistent basis. It's why I still wish we got Weideman from Melbourne. Even now.

History is littered with players who were destined for the scrap heap and seen as having no value, only to arrive in an environment that clicks with them, given a role that suits them and they become a revelation.

We've all seen De Koning play some pretty damn good football and I'd like to believe that at Collingwood, he's a better chance of reaching his potential than he is at Carlton. I personally suspect he's already told Carlton he's leaving (probably for bloody Geelong) which is why he's playing in the VFL. Because given how bad Carlton are playing, I doubt he could be much worse than some of what's been running around in the seniors.

I really wish people would stop dismissing players like this with such ease

Like, I'm not sure how Frampton hasn't shown everyone what a player can become in our environment?

I honestly prefer to see the best a player has produced (even if only for one game) and then back our environment to get that (or close to it) on a consistent basis. It's why I still wish we got Weideman from Melbourne. Even now.

History is littered with players who were destined for the scrap heap and seen as having no value, only to arrive in an environment that clicks with them, given a role that suits them and they become a revelation.

We've all seen De Koning play some pretty damn good football and I'd like to believe that at Collingwood, he's a better chance of reaching his potential than he is at Carlton. I personally suspect he's already told Carlton he's leaving (probably for bloody Geelong) which is why he's playing in the VFL. Because given how bad Carlton are playing, I doubt he could be much worse than some of what's been running around in the seniors.

Do you have any specific examples?

He averages 9 disposals, 2 marks and 0.2 goals a game over his career.

Suggests to me he hasn't played a lot of damn good footy.

get awkward when we have expansion teams on the ropes - happy with a comfortable win but dont want to push beyond that

not so carlton ..... bury them so deep their corpse wont be exposed until our solar system succumbs to the violent death expected of our sun ....... then pile on a few more redtime goals just for good measure :drunk:
That's rather extreme - I like it!

It's funny

Not necessarily on this board, but I saw a lot of sentiment of being wary of constantly waiting for the last quarter to finish games.

This week we ended a game in the first half and then I see complaints about dropping off or pumping the brakes in the second half lol

Like, I know we're a ridiculously fit side, but I don't think we're so fit that we can play at our manic level for 4 quarters. Not sure that's even humanly possible
It's also important to find different gears and different game plans to suit any given scenario.
Sunday was a case of crushing their spirit early, then dragging out the suffering.
That was eminently suited to the scum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back