Preview Round 10 - Carlton v St Kilda, Sunday 26 May 2019, 3.20pm @ Marvel Stadium - Final Team - Post #828

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOB out for Kennedy and i recon we're on.

And Lang for Setterfield.
Young mids need more support.

Especially with Murphy out we can't have Cripps as the only midfielder over 21 years old lol.

Kennedy was emergency and Lang was our best mid in the VFL.
Numerous midfielders in the 1's struggled. Now is the logical time to bring those guys in.

Opposition are starting to wear Cripps down a little of late so our only real strength at stoppages and clearances is being nullified somewhat .
With that in mind if we continue to go in with the 4 tall defenders and 3 tall forwards and JSOS and Cripps and Kruezer can't give us some sort of competitiveness at the stoppages as normally happens against the saints we will be run off our feet .
So much of our fortunes are reliant on Cripps and Kruezer its frightening to think of them having an off day .

Out: Murphy (inj), Casboult, Macreadie, O'Brien, Gibbons, Setterfield

In: Simpson, Plowman, Jones, Garlett, Cuningham, Kennedy

Backs
Plowman Jones Simpson
Garlett Weitering Newman

Midfield
Dow Cripps Fisher
Kreuzer Kennedy Petrevski-Seton

Forwards
Silvagni C Curnow Walsh
McGovern McKay Cuningham

Int: Thomas E Curnow Marchbank Stocker

Emer: Lang Setterfield Gibbons Phillips

Opposition are starting to wear Cripps down a little of late so our only real strength at stoppages and clearances is being nullified somewhat .
With that in mind if we continue to go in with the 4 tall defenders and 3 tall forwards and JSOS and Cripps and Kruezer can't give us some sort of competitiveness at the stoppages as normally happens against the saints we will be run off our feet .
So much of our fortunes are reliant on Cripps and Kruezer its frightening to think of them having an off day .

It looked at times that Mumford was intentionally trying to tap the ball to the opposite side of the ruck contest from Cripps.

Don't know if that was the case all the time, but certainly looked like he was trying to help negate Cripps in the centre.

Kennedy to replace Setterfield in the middle.

Not writing off Setters yet, but he's been pretty average.
Coming off an ACL injury, anything Setters achieves this season is a bonus. He will be better next season after a full pre-season. In the meantime I think he will be shuffled between the AFL & VFL to manage him through the season.

Out: Murphy (inj), Casboult, Macreadie, O'Brien, Gibbons, Setterfield

In: Simpson, Plowman, Jones, Garlett, Cuningham, Kennedy

Backs
Plowman Jones Simpson
Garlett Weitering Newman

Midfield
Dow Cripps Fisher
Kreuzer Kennedy Petrevski-Seton

Forwards
Silvagni C Curnow Walsh
McGovern McKay Cuningham

Int: Thomas E Curnow Marchbank Stocker

Emer: Lang Setterfield Gibbons Phillips
Looks a lot stronger but Setters needs another game in the 1's for mine and Garlett can miss

Looks a lot stronger but Setters needs another game in the 1's for mine and Garlett can miss

The thing about Garlett is he gets back to cover that last line. People can talk about his clangers but they are all making them.

Setters is just not going in hard for the ball at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect this is going to be a similar game to the north/GWS One. Crowd the midfield, tag Cripps and run. Saints have the cattle and the bodies to do it. Similar game plan. And they’re in better form. saints went to GWS a few weeks back and lost by 44. They got blown out early like we did but they settled and stayed respectable rather than what we produced.

I think you'll find we did a lot of running. Unfortunately it was all defensive running.

You can definitely see on the vision that a fair bit of the running was merely jogging by a god amount of folk.

Not only that the lack of tackling would suggest some opted for bruise free football. Should be not too much to rehab to be right for next week. It’s still an indictment that this happens.

Setters is just not going in hard for the ball at the moment.

Neither is SPS but he gets a free pass because of a single good game this season.
When everyone is being shown up for work rate and willingness to hurt by a 1st year player (albeit a very good one) it says a bit about the mindset of some of the middle group.

Kennedy has a red line through his name ....pretty obvious.

So why put him on the emergency list?? Doesn't get the chance to play many NB games either … strange.

The value of raw running power is overstated, particularly when one cannot win a contest in isolation. Stocker wins contests and loose/hard balls.

Running power isn't our issue, we chase well. We've just got no idea how to spread and use the ball.

Other thing that is a little frustrating is that we get burned once through the corridor and its back to boundary line hugging ticky tack.

Reckon we are St Kilda's bunny's recently (without looking it up) and expect us to struggle. Plus its a game we could win so we wont.

On a totally different topic, I nearly threw up in my mouth when Anthony Hudson listed the GWS players we have recruited and moved on (Jaksch, Whiley, Lamb, Sumner, Palmer) and add in Phillips, Kennedy and Pickett and it is disgusting hearing that. Plowman and Marchbank have been good pickups.

If we get Jones, Simpson and Plowman back then the back 6 is back to what we want it.

I don't mind Murphy out as he has been deplorable most of the year, Cuningham in for him.

Reckon Cripps was a beaten man before the bounce yesterday (maybe sensed the vibe and was like - not this s**t again). He will be a beast this week and Kruezer to have a better game than yesterday - thought he got monstered yesterday at times. To me, if Charlie turns up to play we win, if not then we lose (not holding my breathe)

They better not drop Stock or Silvagni, blokes who actually go in and have a crack and keep others who don't like the hard stuff
Jsos and cunners have both benefited from working with AR... personally I think the key for most of our young players is to get their bodies right...need to turn them into strong athletes.

Jsos and cunners have both benefited from working with AR... personally I think the key for most of our young players is to get their bodies right...need to turn them into strong athletes.

Yeah both have AFL bodies now. Just need to get involved (increase possessions by) another 10-20% and we have weekly contributors. They still both come in and out of games too much, more consistency needed. Reckon Cunners would have had it if he didn't miss every 2nd week, so frustrating.

Neither is SPS but he gets a free pass because of a single good game this season.
When everyone is being shown up for work rate and willingness to hurt by a 1st year player (albeit a very good one) it says a bit about the mindset of some of the middle group.

SPS is also not turning it over as much. Can't rest them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back