Preview Round 10 - Carlton v St Kilda, Sunday 26 May 2019, 3.20pm @ Marvel Stadium - Final Team - Post #828

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iamcarlton

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2015
Up North
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cubs , Penguins
You know it’s so hard to click when:

- Inside 50’s regularly b/w 35-45 a game
- The disposal into that zone still below average

Until the above changes we have little basis to judge their effectiveness as a trio
Absolutely I've said the same thing many times over the past 2 years but for mine the excuses are running out although the inside 50's have increased a little this year but still last isn't good .
But given the positivity that's portrayed of our tall forwards and a reluctance of our MC to try anything other than 4 tall forwards not that we have much else to try however again the excuses are running out imo .
This group including our forwardline must start performing the next month given the inclusions this week is deliver time .

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
You know it’s so hard to click when:

- Inside 50’s regularly b/w 35-45 a game
- The disposal into that zone still below average

Until the above changes we have little basis to judge their effectiveness as a trio

I reckon if McKay in particular was playing for a top team right now like geelong or collingwood he'd already have multiple bags of 5 this year.

Is in great touch, leading the comp in contested marks and % of winning one v one contests for forwards.

Actually smashed Phil Davis the few times the ball was kicked their way, finishing with 3 goals.

Problem is our midfield not supplying him with enough opportunities.

Same with mcgov who is starting to win quite a lot of one v one contests the last few weeks with some trademark nice grabs and accurate shot at goal.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Fasolo instead of Gibbons easily and why not give
Goddard an opportunity he’s not inspiring but may just have sparked in this game .
Otherwise quite happy with changes. Jones and Murphy when ready
Hopefully Lang continues to move forward.

Gibbons over faz and casboult over goddard are far, far from 'baffling' selections as you described it.

Absolutely have merit.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Absolutely I've said the same thing many times over the past 2 years but for mine the excuses are running out although the inside 50's have increased a little this year but still last isn't good .
But given the positivity that's portrayed of our tall forwards and a reluctance of our MC to try anything other than 4 tall forwards not that we have much else to try however again the excuses are running out imo .
This group including our forwardline must start performing the next month given the inclusions this week is deliver time .

Pretty sure I read our conversion of scoring shots or goals per inside 50s is actually pretty good.

So would suggest forward line working alright, it's the lack of supply thats hurting us more.

And these stats would include an out of form Charlie curnow and the first few weeks where faz and gibbons were ineffectual up forward.

Mr_Plow

That name again...
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Wings
Gibbons over faz and casboult over goddard are far, far from 'baffling' selections as you described it.

Absolutely have merit.

Agree, this is a week where we have a genuine chance to win and it is preferred that we go in with a squad that knows each other reasonably well.

Forward line hasn't been an issue, introducing Fasolo isn't necessary. Backline is getting plenty of reinforcements this week, no need to introduce Goddard who has never played with that defensive group.

Too many variables.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Agree, this is a week where we have a genuine chance to win and it is preferred that we go in with a squad that knows each other reasonably well.

Forward line hasn't been an issue, introducing Fasolo isn't necessary. Backline is getting plenty of reinforcements this week, no need to introduce Goddard who has never played with that defensive group.

Too many variables.

Yep and not to mention we've already made 4 good, necessary changes for this game.

Making a further two unnecessary changes, up to 6 in one round, wouldn't be smart for team cohesion.

Iamcarlton

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2015
Up North
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cubs , Penguins
Pretty sure I read our conversion of scoring shots or goals per inside 50s is actually pretty good.

So would suggest forward line working alright, it's the lack of supply thats hurting us more.

And these stats would include an out of form Charlie curnow and the first few weeks where faz and gibbons were ineffectual up forward.
Point is we are playing a tall forwardline and are marking the ball inside 50 on average 9 times per game .

There have been games this year where the inside 50 count has been similar and come up short .
Given that is meant to be our strength it's not enough .
Don't really care what the stats are saying we either fix the supply or they mark it more or you try a different forward set up to get better results from the lack of delivery .
If that means dropping a Charlie Curnow who is a shadow of last year and playing a smaller forward then so be it .

rp84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Philadelphia 76ers
The Bash Brothers!

I will not rest until this becomes a thing.

Considering that a decent poster spoke to Kennedy last week and said he has lost most of what little size he had, I suspect he is going to bash SFA.

TooBlue14

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
St kilda dickhead on main board (comparing Carlton and Brisbane rebuild) thinks Marchbank wouldn’t get a game at any other AFL club and was not worth pick 15. Lol. I rebutted with we got more than Marchbank for pick 15 and yes he’d play for nearly every AFL club. At saints he’d be their number 1 banana I reckon.

Aug 17, 2016
GOLD COAST
AFL Club
Carlton
St kilda dickhead on main board (comparing Carlton and Brisbane rebuild) thinks Marchbank wouldn’t get a game at any other AFL club and was not worth pick 15. Lol. I rebutted with we got more than Marchbank for pick 15 and yes he’d play for nearly every AFL club. At saints he’d be their number 1 banana I reckon.
Lions have climbed a lot due to Hodge...second coach type and on the ground all the time,running things.....Lions got a lot from this,sneaky really.
I dont think we should compare ourselves to anyone at moment......we are not really in win mode or fight mode as Lions are
Carlton has a different temprement......we are more interested in genuine list depth and a quality culture of good people
its been a long road though.....

TooBlue14

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Lions have climbed a lot due to Hodge...second coach type and on the ground all the time,running things.....Lions got a lot from this,sneaky really.
I dont think we should compare ourselves to anyone at moment......we are not really in win mode or fight mode as Lions are
Carlton has a different temprement......we are more interested in genuine list depth and a quality culture of good people
its been a long road though.....
I’m not bringing it up to share the comparison with Brisbane just thought I’d mention there’s people out there that truly under value our list despite most players that leave Carlton turn out to be superstars.

Mondyboy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I’m not bringing it up to share the comparison with Brisbane just thought I’d mention there’s people out there that truly under value our list despite most players that leave Carlton turn out to be superstars.

Do you blame them though? Other than being “competitive” it’s hard to make a case that out list should be valued. That’s why the next four weeks are so damn important. To set the tone of where we are going as a club.

And if we lose all four it will only reinforce the opinion above.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

TooBlue14

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Do you blame them though? Other than being “competitive” it’s hard to make a case that out list should be valued. That’s why the next four weeks are so damn important. To set the tone of where we are going as a club.

And if we lose all four it will only reinforce the opinion above.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
What if we lead all four with 10 minutes to go and get run over in all four. Maybe in 1 of them the umpires pay 30-7 free kicks in the oppositions favour. Maybe a last minute error by Dow and we lose by 5 points. Would you still think the same.

Charlie Gov and Harry due to monster what appears to be a patchwork st kilda defence
Throw Jack in as well. Has been super impressive since he's been back in the best 22.

With Plowman back and Weitering, Marchbank, Newman, Thomas and Simmo, I would play Casboult forward. It stretches their defence and gives us more fire power. It also allows us to play bigger bodies thru the midfield. But then again, what do I know.....
Cas forward,.Charlie in the guts.
Just sayin'

I just hope we're on from the start and bring our A game. Our best footy gets the job done. Just want the boys to show something and get the media off our backs (for a week at least).

Please win Blues

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
We'll respond after last week for sure. Whether its good enough to get the 4 points is another story.

David Sylvian

Club Legend
May 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Throw Jack in as well. Has been super impressive since he's been back in the best 22.
Jack for me is the Father Son I hoped he would be,his character shines through on the fooball field. Commits fully to each contest, no whatsits given to self preservation, EXACTLY like his dad. So looking forward to watch Ben develop and contribute to our future success. What a story it will be as the next cup is raised aloft.

Blutopia

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Jack for me is the Father Son I hoped he would be,his character shines through on the fooball field. Commits fully to each contest, no whatsits given to self preservation, EXACTLY like his dad. So looking forward to watch Ben develop and contribute to our future success. What a story it will be as the next cup is raised aloft.
I agree fully. His stats this year are similar to Jack Gunston’s career average and if he can get his goals per game up over 2 somewhere then he will be a very good afl player. Once our midfield matures, like our other forwards he will get better also.

Considering that a decent poster spoke to Kennedy last week and said he has lost most of what little size he had, I suspect he is going to bash SFA.
you might want to seek out said posters clarification........

Bluemantra

Debutant
Mar 26, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Carlton
Cas forward,.Charlie in the guts.
Just sayin'
got to say I agree with Charlie in the guts. He seriously needs to get his hands on the football. He's got the aerobic ability to run. He can provide a marking target around the ground and i just feel he needs to get into the contest at close quarters. We know he can be a star. He has got to get his hands on the footy. At the moment he has been starved of opportunity because our midfield is getting smashed at the center bounce. Cripps getting tagged heavily and no big bodies at the bounce to support him. That's why players like Charlie and Kennedy are important at the center bounce. Let SPS,Dow , Fisher, Cunningham run outside the contest. Also Let Ed Curnow to set himself to put a hard tag if its necessary on their opposing midfield. I reckon the defense and forward lines will look after themselves. Its all about the inside work around the ground and at center bounces

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back