Prediction Round 10: Changes Vs Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Ross...if your reading this...
Banfield (to Lachie) for Brayshaw
McCarthy for Tabs
Logue (wanna see him as ruck chop out) for Cox (way to soft)

Lewis Taylor back in, he's kicked 7 goals against us in their two wins in 17 & 18 and old man Hodge coming over for the trip. Ballenden's a big mobile forward ruck too - I think we bid on him in the draft even though he was tied to Brisbane.
What is it about Taylor.. such a spud yet we play him into form

I like the calls for Banfield to Neale. There is no doubt we are going to put a heavy tag on him - Ross is not friends with Neale in any capacity and Neale has been quite frankly a complete dhead in his comments to the media with backhanders to Fyfe and others.

I really want to see us work Neale over in a ruthless display. That is why Banfield comes back for me. He is a tough character with a bit of mongrel and he can be damaging the other way - even kicking a few goals we need. He needed to go back to the WAFL with some poor games, but hopefully with another chance he does the job.

Also agree with the call to manage either Cerra or Brayshaw. I would really like to see Bewley come in. He completely butchered it in the pre season after a lot of hype, but I do not understand why even keep some players on our list if we are not going to play them. We have been competitive, however we need a genuine competition for spots - it would appear this is not the case for some players. Colyer was a good call, but it needs to go to others.

I stand by my calls for some time, that the forward line is suffering simply because of our inability to hit a target at half forward and in the 50. We should not be trying to take contested marks in the forward 50, we should be able to hit leads. But we just butcher it time and time again. It is horrendous. Last week I remember a kick to Cerra for a 1:1 deep on the boundary.... WHY - please tell me how this could even by a 5th option? Our conversion probably makes this look worse than it is, however that seems to be a trend across most teams this year.

It will be interesting where Logue plays. He could spend some time in the midfield, or on the wing - he seems to have the tank, and our defence is the reason we have been competitive thus far. I could be completely off the planet here, but it is a possibility IMO.

I like the calls for Banfield to Neale. There is no doubt we are going to put a heavy tag on him - Ross is not friends with Neale in any capacity and Neale has been quite frankly a complete dhead in his comments to the media with backhanders to Fyfe and others.

I really want to see us work Neale over in a ruthless display. That is why Banfield comes back for me. He is a tough character with a bit of mongrel and he can be damaging the other way - even kicking a few goals we need. He needed to go back to the WAFL with some poor games, but hopefully with another chance he does the job.

Also agree with the call to manage either Cerra or Brayshaw. I would really like to see Bewley come in. He completely butchered it in the pre season after a lot of hype, but I do not understand why even keep some players on our list if we are not going to play them. We have been competitive, however we need a genuine competition for spots - it would appear this is not the case for some players. Colyer was a good call, but it needs to go to others.

I stand by my calls for some time, that the forward line is suffering simply because of our inability to hit a target at half forward and in the 50. We should not be trying to take contested marks in the forward 50, we should be able to hit leads. But we just butcher it time and time again. It is horrendous. Last week I remember a kick to Cerra for a 1:1 deep on the boundary.... WHY - please tell me how this could even by a 5th option? Our conversion probably makes this look worse than it is, however that seems to be a trend across most teams this year.

It will be interesting where Logue plays. He could spend some time in the midfield, or on the wing - he seems to have the tank, and our defence is the reason we have been competitive thus far. I could be completely off the planet here, but it is a possibility IMO.
Pretty sure Neale has been tagged nearly every week but still is very damaging.

Also, what were his comments about Fyfe and others, don't think l have seen anything from him about that?

https://thewest.com.au/sport/brisba...spect-for-ex-teammate-nat-fyfe-ng-b881165865z

Last edited:
oh no, you fell for the media headlines 😂

This is so far from the truth

Ross needs to watch Ports gameplanning for Westhoff over the last 6 years to try and get Cox into a similar role imo as an outside viewer of Fremantle.
Both laconic at times with good marking and generally clean kicking that can be swung around or back up ruck if needed.

Suprised people are throwing him under the bus at 20 when Ross is known to be a poor offensive coach who surely isn't helping his forward development
I dont mind constructive criticism. Justin Westoff is underrated outside your club. On his best day he can be a damaging player. Would love to have a guy like him at freo. Billy Frampton too as he is a South Freo boy. I do rate Brennan Cox. Hell, despite me living in the Port Adelaide area, I am a south Adelaide fan. Even before he was drafted at Freo, I saw a a few Woodville west torrens games. I saw cox play both ends in 2016, His final year in the SANFL before freo drafted him.

Now you say Ross is a poor offensive coach, it depends on how you see it. In the 2013 GF, Freos forwards consisted of Pav, Mayne, Walters, Ballantyne, Clarke and a rotating mid.

Hawks forwards were Buddy, Roughy, Hale, Cyril Rioli, Luke Breust, Puopolo and Gunston.

Hawks had the better forward line in 2013 obviously. Now Freo has got Lobb and Hogan.

I didn't say he had, just that Ross hasn't developed good forwards because of his game plan.

Hinkley has his deficiencies as a coach, but how he uses Westhoff has not been one of those. Just a suggestion of how I think Freo could best use Cox.
Again, I do Admire your constrictive criticism. Now you said Ross Lyon hasn't developed good forwards because of his game plan. The toughest bit about quality forwards, especially KPFs, is that some of them take 3-5 years to develop.

I can Agree with you and you a correct to a degree.

When he was coaching the Saints from 2007-2011, St Nick was in his prime, So was Kozi. Thats one and a half decent talls. Nick Riewoldt is one of the best Key forwards in the last 20 years, Justin Koschitzke was a solid 2nd tall and a solid back up ruckman. They also had Adam Schneider and Stephen milne as small forwards. Lyon essentially Stuck with his Core 22-26 players for his 4-5 years there.

When he left in 2011, St Nick was near the end of his career. In 2014, Saints used their number 1 pick on Patrick McCartin which was smart in theory. McCartin spent 2015-17 as a full forward working with riewoldt. But the time Riewoldt retired, Saints Hoped that McCartin was developed enough to be the spear head of the side. Unfortunately that hasnt happened due to McCartin being injured.

At freo.....Ross Lyons tall forward stocks in 2013 was an Ageing pav, Kepler Bradley and a Rookie Matt Taberner. I have Called taberner or Tabs for short, a similar player to John Butcher at your mob. Both are tall and skinny. Both are 195-197cm and 90-95kg. Both had similar strengths and weaknesses. Both can take good marks and both struggle at set shots.

Tabs has mix opinions on this board. Sadly he is injured and out for the season. The Tall forward Lyon tried to develop from scratch was Michael Apeness. He was our 1st round pick, pick 17, in the 2013 draft. We originally hoped Cam McCarthy was going to hold out but GWS got him at pick 12.''

Easy to see why we chose him, 200 cm and 100kg. Yep a Key forward- ruckman. Was slowly developing but he had multiple knee injuries. He missed out the entire 2015 and 2017 seasons because of it. He played like 12 games from 2014-18.

I dont blame Ross Lyons game plan for our lack of developed forwards. Tabs and Apeness of 2 examples of decent players that are hit by injury.

Many dockers players talked about Anthony Morabito. Since you are a Port Supporter. Think of Ollie wines 1st year, then he follows it up by not Playing AFL for 3 years due to getting 3 ACL injuries in a row. That is Anthony Morabito.

I really think we are missing a trick not playing a proper ruckman with Lobb, rather than just him plus a forward rucking. Which game did we score the most points in and what was the setup there?

The thing is, having two decent rucks should afford us more dominance in the centre as the game goes on, which means we get more scores from stoppages. I know we like to setup to be a team that hurts on the rebound but scores from the centre IMO save effort and conserve energy. Likewise it is easier to defend.

It is a shame that Darcy has got injured again, but I reckon there is an argument on principle to pick Jones as a 60% ruck and make Lobb 40% whilst playing more forward in Taberners absence.
I wanted Scott Jones to play vs Brisbane. Let both Lobb and Jones both rotate the ruck and full forward spot.

Anyone reckon Logue is any chance to make the final team? Been itching to see him finally come back, but unsure if it is the right time to bring him in, fitness/form/match-up wise.
I just don't have a great deal of confidence or excitement in McCarthy (yes he has kicked 10 goals in 6 games, but 5 of them came in round 1). Pretty much resigned to him being the like-for-like replacement for Tabs though, I suppose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lewis Taylor back in, he's kicked 7 goals against us in their two wins in 17 & 18 and old man Hodge coming over for the trip. Ballenden's a big mobile forward ruck too - I think we bid on him in the draft even though he was tied to Brisbane.

Ballendeen has been playing in defence, But doubt he comes in.
berry out is a huuuge loss for Lions, he did a defensive role on Fyfe last yr till he got injured (obviuosly)

How are they “like-for-like”? They both play in the forward line? Because physically and positionally they are poles apart.

Well, yes, I pretty much did mean that, but also because they are both tall forwards who work their way up the wings quite a bit, and do come up the ground. Although obviously McCarthy would never be used as a back-up/pinch hitter in the ruck.

berry out is a huuuge loss for Lions, he did a defensive role on Fyfe last yr till he got injured (obviuosly)
That's my take on it too. He was able to lock Fyfe out of it.

I just hope we don't lose a structural tall right before the bounce and then our best mid during the game.

Saw Ballendon play a couple of times for the allies in his draft year. Was easily their best player in the game against WA. How is he progressing as thought he would have debuted already in a team going through a rebuild

Will we drop anyone? The last few weeks have been really disappointing but have only dropped Colyer, Nyhuis and McCarthy as a result.
We need to show more faith in our depth.

I reckon Ross is more peeved at Neale letting a Brisbane staff member board with him during the season last year

I don't think Neale has been giving backhanders to Fyfe, maybe to the club for poor culture although he says he was misquoted?

Anyhow poor form by Ross for asking for Neale to be booed.

I liked Banfield last year and he was huge in some games taking big scalps. However don't think he has tagged once this year either in AFL or WAFL. I think that's been a waste, but to ask him to come and tag this week will be interesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back