Unofficial Preview Round 10 Changes vs. Bye

Remove this Banner Ad

Weber just said Gumby could be up for WAFL selection after the bye!

Hopefully a plethora of key forwards to choose from over the coming weeks to help Pav out (Apeness, Kep, Taberner and Gumby!)

What's the chances that Mora, Ibbo, Sylv and Macca might be looked at inclusion after the bye?

Quite good i'd imagine for all except Luke who I am told will miss another 2 games post the bye - I hope that is wrong as we really need him to play against Tex Walker or i'll have a heart attack seeing Silvagni take him again.

We have some quality to come in, Ibbo, Sylvia, Luke, Simpson, Morabito all have match winning capability.

Good news on Gumby as well, he can be some icing on the cake and it might have been a blessing in disguise the pre season injury, now if he gets in the side we can work out how to utilise him best against lesser opponents and see if it might work in big games later in the year vs Hawks, Port & Geelong.

Quite good i'd imagine for all except Luke who I am told will miss another 2 games post the bye - I hope that is wrong as we really need him to play against Tex Walker or i'll have a heart attack seeing Silvagni take him again.

We have some quality to come in, Ibbo, Sylvia, Luke, Simpson, Morabito all have match winning capability.

Good news on Gumby as well, he can be some icing on the cake and it might have been a blessing in disguise the pre season injury, now if he gets in the side we can work out how to utilise him best against lesser opponents and see if it might work in big games later in the year vs Hawks, Port & Geelong.

McPharlin is listed as "test". Seems strange to suggest he'll miss another 3 weeks.

What?!?!?!

Luke was on the radio this morning, apparently enjoying the bye too as he didn't answer his phone for twenty minutes for his segment. Said the extra week off will do him good as he was only 80% after his fitness test before last weeks game. Indicated he would be right to go most likely for the dogs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are peoples thoughts on starting to resting a few players over the next 9 weeks.

While I do not recommend resting 4-5 people for one week, holding back McPharlin for an extra week may good for his body and Silvagni is playing great at the moment. Johnson could be rested the week after and McPharlin could play the loose man in defence.

Sandi could be rested in 2-3 weeks time and we could let Clarke play the ruck and Taberner\Apeness could come in and play forward.

Pavlich, Dawson, Mundy could probably all use a week off and we have 9 weeks against average sides.

The obvious games to rest players are Saints (18) and Lions (22) away, Giants(17) and Lions(14) at home and maybe the Bulldogs away this week (Rnd 11).

We won games last year with out key personal and I think we will be better in the finals if we are as fresh as possible, plus this will ensure we have 25 players ready to play AFL should we get 1 or 2 injuries late in the season.

If we get another soft tissue injury to a player the wrong side of 28 like we have had the last few years with McPharlin, Johnson only being 60% going into finals I will be very annoyed.

What are peoples thoughts on starting to resting a few players over the next 9 weeks.

While I do not recommend resting 4-5 people for one week, holding back McPharlin for an extra week may good for his body and Silvagni is playing great at the moment. Johnson could be rested the week after and McPharlin could play the loose man in defence.

Sandi could be rested in 2-3 weeks time and we could let Clarke play the ruck and Taberner\Apeness could come in and play forward.

Pavlich, Dawson, Mundy could probably all use a week off and we have 9 weeks against average sides.

The obvious games to rest players are Saints (18) and Lions (22) away, Giants(17) and Lions(14) at home and maybe the Bulldogs away this week (Rnd 11).

We won games last year with out key personal and I think we will be better in the finals if we are as fresh as possible, plus this will ensure we have 25 players ready to play AFL should we get 1 or 2 injuries late in the season.

If we get another soft tissue injury to a player the wrong side of 28 like we have had the last few years with McPharlin, Johnson only being 60% going into finals I will be very annoyed.

I am in favour of resting some of the old hands (Pav/Luke/Sandi/MJ/Mundy/Duffield) over the next 2 months. We need to hit the business end of the season as fresh as we can, we won't get too many cracks at it with all of these guys, you'd have to expect some to retire either this year or next.

i'm all for resting the old blokes and the guns BUT not at the expense of a top 4 spot.

Ideally we would want to rest blokes in the last 4 games but 3 of those are against teams we will be competing with (Haw, Geel, Por) for a top 4 spot, so perhaps the rd 22 away clash to Brisbane we could rest a couple and then maybe in the last round IF we have a spot sewn up in the top 4 (or Port has 1-2spot sewn up and they rest players) we could rest them then.

Sandi would be the main one i'd be concerned with, perhaps our next bye we give him an extra week off then ? Griff & Clarke are decent players to have in his place. Pav can be replaced for a game or two by Apeness or Gumby (GWS maybe?).

Agree with some views on Silvagni, he is doing the job - will never be a gun but plays hard and generally goes ok.

The room for error is very small for us with 4 losses on the board already.

Isn't that what the bye is for?

McPharlin has already had two weeks off and the rest of them have barely worked up a sweat this year until last week.

Isn't that what the bye is for?

McPharlin has already had two weeks off and the rest of them have barely worked up a sweat this year until last week.

This. Pretty sure we will be balls out and going hard for the next 2 months to cement a top 4. However, since the fat controller has cracked the sads about resting 10-12 players with "general soreness" nearing the end of the Home and away season we may rotate 4 or 5 players out over the final 1 or 2 rounds if we can afford that luxury.

I am in favour of resting some of the old hands (Pav/Luke/Sandi/MJ/Mundy/Duffield) over the next 2 months. We need to hit the business end of the season as fresh as we can, we won't get too many cracks at it with all of these guys, you'd have to expect some to retire either this year or next.

I agree with this as well.. nothing drastic ala the Harvey days but just a player or two every now and then. We need to keep one eye on the future which is maybe why guys like Sheridan, Croz, Tab have been given as much exposure as they have.

If he is 100% then yes I agree, but if he is 99% then why not give him an extra week off, save him from travelling.

No player at this time of the year is at 100%, everyone will have a niggle, a small corky or general soreness of some sort, and because RTB is a coach who will always pick the best 22 at this time of the year.

We need, to win and smash teams in the process, as the way this year is shaping up percentage will be very important.

No player at this time of the year is at 100%, everyone will have a niggle, a small corky or general soreness of some sort, and because RTB is a coach who will always pick the best 22 at this time of the year.

We need, to win and smash teams in the process, as the way this year is shaping up percentage will be very important.
Yeah, I don't think Luke will get a break yet as he's had an injury so he's had time off. Sandi however has been shouldering most of the ruck load and he's shown a tendency to break down towards the end of a full season of rucking. I expect Sandi to get a week off as soon as Griff or Gumby is right to go, and at least one more before the finals.

Percentage will be important, but we can probably rest a couple without it costing us too much. Our defense is good enough that we don't need to smash teams by 100+ points to drive our percentage up. If we can put some of the lesser teams away by 8-10 goals our percentage will cop a similar boost.

Yeah, I don't think Luke will get a break yet as he's had an injury so he's had time off. Sandi however has been shouldering most of the ruck load and he's shown a tendency to break down towards the end of a full season of rucking. I expect Sandi to get a week off as soon as Griff or Gumby is right to go, and at least one more before the finals.

Percentage will be important, but we can probably rest a couple without it costing us too much. Our defense is good enough that we don't need to smash teams by 100+ points to drive our percentage up. If we can put some of the lesser teams away by 8-10 goals our percentage will cop a similar boost.

Yeah, smash was probably the wrong word, but restricting teams scores with our gameplan is reliant on McP and Dawson being on the ground.

We are indeed fortunate to have a player in the quality of Griffin to give Sandi a rest.

For someone of Sandi's Herculean dimensions he is a remarkable athlete and looks as good as he ever has or better.
Him plucking it out of the air from the ball up in Geebung's forward 50 and motoring off through traffic at Mach 1 pace and Mack truck momentum with the other ruckmen flailing in his wake;then delicately dropping the pill on the size 46 boot for the 20 m reverse spin grubber to miss by a 1/2 metre should be at the forefront of all AFL promotional videos.
In fact they should photoshop the bloody thing and give the bigfella his just deserts with a 6 pointer!:D:D:D
Lethal snapped posts pffft:p...Sandi uses them as toothpicks:rolleyes:

AGREE and resting players may come and bite us like last year when we rested the whole team against saints and lions nearly beat cats, if it wasnt for that holding ball free not given in lions forward line and we would have lost chance for top 2. i know rest is history but be wary !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back