Prediction Round 10: Changes vs Collingwood + pre-game discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I distinctly remember Banfield tagging in the middle during a game against Gold Coast, the home game they sold to us, up against Aaron Hall and shut him out of the game.

And now he plays forward kicks a few goals against bottom 4 sides and is s**t every other game.

If colyer doesn't get a game over Banfield I'll be pissed.

Sturt has a mountain more talent

We need our best players playing not a guy who is a good bloke

Wonder how nervous we play, or if we attack and make last week a distant memory

I can feel is going into our shells a bit. Still think we are a energy team that’ll be impacted by yoof being inconsistent

Another year or two, the system has us grinding out games like we should have last week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s dumb , banners might not catch a lot but he chases as hard as anyone

Sturts pressure without the ball was pathetic the last time I saw him at AFL level

It’s obvious he hasn’t improved this side of his game enough to be selected

Look at it this way ….. we need the chase out from our forwards to be at a certain level for our system and team strengths to work at an optimal level

We are dropping Treacy who is a good pressure player for a tallish player and bringing back Tabs who if he’s not the worst at it in the AFL he’s pretty close

Swapping Banners for Sturt is probably dropping that pressure game to a level the coaches think would leave us vulnerable and unable to play the game the way they want it played

Seems pretty logical to me

If you want to be a flashy , showtime type team convince them to give you the head coaching job I guess

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

I agree about the pressure element you mention above but of the 6 small forwards we have played this year there is a big gap between the top 3 in terms of pressure acts (Switter, Walters and Shultz) to the second 3 (Banfield, Freddy and Colyer). By the way the way they are named above is the order for average pressure acts per game, switter clearly best and Colyer dead last, banfield below average

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I flat out don’t get the Banfield selections.
We have enough pressure in Switta and Shultz, how about some class in Sturt or a tall in Amiss instead of Banfield. Frustrating
Just thinking about the Banfield selection. Only reason I can think of why he gets selected is for balance.

Banfield is the only medium sized forward in that forward line. He will get his 10-12 disposals but on a good day kicks 2 or , 3 goals.

Switkowski and Schulz provided pressure. Walters and Frederick are good at rotating up forward flanks and on the wings. You can afford to lose 1 with injury or being omitted and the other 3 will still do well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I knew when I saw Banfield modelling the indigenous round strip yesterday that he was 100% playing this weekend. 😩
Basically Erasmus, Tucker and Treacy have been dropped from last week.
Mundy, Chapman Walters and Colyer will definitely start from the interchange bench
Tucker is a good start
Banfield next

The only reason I see Banfield in the side & starting is in a defensive role on Pendlebury who has been setting them up off HB.

This chat about them fielding a strong side.. pffft
Crisp being named after being reported to be ill all week, great result. 5 hour flight should help him avoid cramps, and mason Cox be super handy with 25ml of rain about, hopefully got some wipers on those Horace grants.. Reckon Elliot be flying after 5 weeks out with a crook shoulder too.

Gonna flog this mob!

He's obviously impressing the coaching staff enough to have Faith, if they listened to Big Footy diehards ,Acres ,Colyer .Shultz,Lobb would already be long gone .I back the guys who run the club.

With all those guys you could at least see they had the tools to be decent-to-good in their roles if they put it all together.

I think Banfield has the tools to be a good Crowley type player if that's where we were playing him, but I can't see the slightest indication that he has the tools to ever be good in the role he's currently in.

Quite the opposite actually, his weaknesses almost perfectly match the strengths you'd normally be looking for in his role.

Some research: Griffin Logue at Freo, 2022

No 1 Intercept Marks
No 1 Spoils
No 3 Kicking Efficiency

Remove this Banner Ad

Back