Review Round 10: Collingwood 50-41 Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Pies have the 2nd worse inside 50 to goal conversion rate (19.%) in the AFL only marginally better than Adelaide (18.5%). This is our poorest I50 conversation rate since data commenced in 1997. Even in our bottom of the ladder year in 1998 our I50 to goal rate was a healthy 25.6.

Tonight was a terrible night no matter from what angle one looks at it.
  • We lost WHE with injury in the opening minutes
  • We had over 20 I50’s before we got our first goal with the aid of a dinky free kick (otherwise how else were we going to get one
  • The turnovers in the 1st half were embarrassing. Our midfielders regularly missing targets far and away
  • Our over reliance on Handball again did a lot of players in by regularly handballing to teammates in a worse position
  • We had 332 possessions to the Swans 241
  • We had 150 handballs to the Swans 87
  • The disconnect between the midfield and the forward line is deepening
  • It appears every team have worked out our game plan except our coach
  • The only thing missing for 2½ quarters was the Benny Hill music
  • Our entries into F50 were either too shallow or too deep. It took until the 3rd quarter before the players lowered their eyes when kicking into F50
  • Significant injuries to Treloar and IQ inflicted further pain
  • Tonight we scored 6 goals from 50 - I50’s (12%). The Swans kicked the same amount of goals but from 17 less entries
  • Tonight we took 2 contested marks to the Swans 13
The players:
Daics – Building on an already consistent season to date. 25 possessions; 7 I50’s; 4 clearances; 501 metres gained, and the winning goal that was straight out of his father’s highlight reel. Also had 6 turnovers and at times a tendency to rush his kicks

Ruscoe – Should have kicked 4 goals tonight but maybe nerves got to him on debut. Looks a useful player and has some speed

Stevo – Buckley needs to put him back deep forward because he has provided nothing for us further up the ground. Looks disinterested and continues to play bruise free football. Had 8 kicks and not much else.

Maynard – Mr Consistency. My heart was in my mouth when he went down into the rooms clutching his shoulder. You won’t die wondering with him. Always gives 100%

Checkers – Another Jeckyl and Hyde performance. A licorice allsorts type of game

Adams – Had 29 disposals of which only 13 were effective (DE 45%). Got better once Treloar went off. Is becoming a regular goal kicker

IQ – was hardly sighted before he was stretchered off in the last quarter.

Noble – Played well but was let down at times by poor disposal. Had 5 turnovers. But provided drive from HB and wing.

Phillips – None of his attempted tackles stuck. No tackles for the game. His shot for goal 40m out on a 45 degree angle missed everything. Needs to have a break. Love to see Rantall get his chance.

Thomas – Devoid of all confidence. Was caught with the ball on several occasions, kicked into the man on the mark and with a leading forward coming towards him he kicked it over his head. Buckley needs to pull the trigger and give one of the youngsters a go. Nothing is working for JT at the moment. 13 disposals for 96 metres gained.

Grundy – He again appeared sluggish and struggled for any real impact around the ground. He 16 possessions for only 57 metres gained. 32 HO and 6 clearances.

Callum Brown – 14 possessions for 97 metres gained. Again had the chance to nail a shot running into goal from 35-40m only to fall short. However provided forward pressure that was lacking against the Dockers last week.

WHE – Two impact injuries within the first 10 minutes of the game and it was all over for him.

Elliott – Tackled well tonight. His disposal whilst in the midfield was average. Should stay forward.

Magden –.I thought he played well. 15 possessions at 88%. 4 tackles, 4 R50, and 9 intercepts

Treloar – Had 25 possessions in less than a ½ of football before succumbing to another hamstring injury. Unfortunately, his mountain of possessions failed to hurt the opposition (ala Scott West)

Roughie – Since Howe has been out Roughie appears unsettled and lost. However I prefer him in the side than out of it

Reid – First game for the year. Offered a contest on a night the opposition flooded our forward line.

Sidebottom – I wasn’t aware that he had as many possessions as he did. Set Adams up for a wonderful goal.

Crisp – Struggled with his disposal tonight

Moore – Didn’t have many possessions tonight but he didn’t waste one. the cornerstone of our defence

Sier – Got a bit of the ball but turned it over a far bit with poor decision making. Building into it

Very typical Pies game frankly, only the quarters were out of order. If put in typical pies order it would be 3-1-2-4 namely the third quarter was the overwhelming, almost good quarter, 1-2 the lackluster can this team kick a goal quarters, and the 4th being the hold on for life quarter as always.

A very peculiar game in that it possessed all the things we hate about the 2020 pies: horrid handballs, overuse, lackluster kicking accuracy, but also saw (for the first time in recent memory) a team come out of half-time with a spark, seeming tactical/style changes, and something resembling a desire to win a game of football, which crescendoed into a Goal of the Year contender for Daicos.

In true Collingwood form also some big injuries to further torpedo our list. Interesting to see how the selection group balances yet another fresh crop of outs.

I'll probably get piled into because for some unknown reason, dozens of posters have some weird agenda against him, but Jack Madgen has been playing some very fine footy in the last two weeks. Doesn't do much wrong, and is a perfectly fine back-up for Howe. He gels in well with his defensive teammates and rarely panics under pressure, isn't afraid to get a little physical and he has laid some good tackles too.

At 27 years (yea that's actually his age, thought he was 25 tops), I won't pretend he has a great deal of upside but what he is and how much he'd be getting paid (very little), he's a good player to have.

I'll probably get piled into because for some unknown reason, dozens of posters have some weird agenda against him, but Jack Madgen has been playing some very fine footy in the last two weeks. Doesn't do much wrong, and is a perfectly fine back-up for Howe. He gels in well with his defensive teammates and rarely panics under pressure, isn't afraid to get a little physical and he has laid some good tackles too.

At 27 years (yea that's actually his age, thought he was 25 tops), I won't pretend he has a great deal of upside but what he is and how much he'd be getting paid (very little), he's a good player to have.

Agree, hes very unfashionable in the way he goes about it but is a good reliable steady depth option. Hes got a bit of toe, too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Staggering to hear Bucks say in presser that we dominated all over the ground and just needed to finish a bit better and also to hear him praise the efficiency of our ball movement. I must have been watching a totally different game coz I thought we massively overused the handball, ran ourselves into trouble and constantly put team-mates under pressure. It was the opposite of efficient.

IQ’s injury is horrific. Infection a big risk with open wounds where dirt has gotten in there. Docs possibly won’t be able to fully close it up initially, so that they can regularly drain it. Sadly I suspect he’ll miss numerous weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There were some bad plays, like handballs to teammates under pressure, but over all we were pretty good. Could be helped we were tackling their kids hard but we looked considerably more aggressive.

Clean up the forward 50 entries (add Cox) and our problems look miniscule.

There were some bad plays, like handballs to teammates under pressure, but over all we were pretty good. Could be helped we were tackling their kids hard but we looked considerably more aggressive.

Clean up the forward 50 entries (add Cox) and our problems look miniscule.

Swans kicked two lucky goals from outside 50 from bombs.

We didnt get any easy or lucky goals at our end.... except arguably a very generous 50 metre penalty to Noble.

These things will turn around but we need to tidy up disposal and decision making, especially in the forward half.

I could only happen to us
Probably. Im not too fussed about this season now. If we can keep getting games into young players that will be a positive. Our chances of even making finals now are low.

Staggering to hear Bucks say in presser that we dominated all over the ground and just needed to finish a bit better and also to hear him praise the efficiency of our ball movement. I must have been watching a totally different game coz I thought we massively overused the handball, ran ourselves into trouble and constantly put team-mates under pressure. It was the opposite of efficient.

IQ’s injury is horrific. Infection a big risk with open wounds where dirt has gotten in there. Docs possibly won’t be able to fully close it up initially, so that they can regularly drain it. Sadly I suspect he’ll miss numerous weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
From a stats perspective (only) we did. We had 90 more possessions; 63 more HBs, 34 to 24 in clearances; 28 to 15 in stoppages, and 50 to 33 in I50's. I agree with you, we butchered our ball movement, we were slow going forward where we missed our targets completely or kicked it to the wrong contest, handballed to a teammate in a worse position etc. It was terrible to watch. Bucks has to focus on the positives because there are so many negatives with our poor form and mounting injuries

Sydney were horrendous we were slighlty better ( luckier) What the hell has happened to our footskills? If I hear one more person tell me we should have won by more if we kicked straight I will spew up. We don't kick straight because we can't bloody kick.

Got the win, thank goodness, but l wish we could kick straight, instead of those bloody behinds.
Daicos, just like his old man moment, brilliant

Got the win, thank goodness, but l wish we could kick straight, instead of those bloody behinds.
Daicos, just like his old man moment, brilliant

When you pick players that can't kick hoping they will then suddenly kick straight is a waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back