Preview Round 10 - Geelong v Carlton, GMHBA, Saturday 7:25pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sav said on TFS he had soreness and a "bit of a back". Not sure we want him testing that out this week with him being a primary ruck. He looks a lively KF type. He comes in for?

Oh did he win the b&f as a ruck? Didn't know that :poo::huh:

You are well and truly talking out of an orifice that's not your mouth.

He played primarily as a mid and third up ruck that year. If he plays on Kruzer we'd be destroyed in the middle.

We are the worst centre clearance team in the league; which you think putting an undersized ruck into the middle would help.

Yeah ok buddy, run along now, I think the first bell has gone for recess.

I think the reason Catsmaninamerica is wanting Blicavs in the ruck is because we are the worst centre clearance team in the league as you say. So if we’re already the worst centre clearance team with Smith/Stanley rucking, we might as well ruck Blitz who can compete well enough in the ruck but then help out a lot at ground level with tackles and winning the ball himself more than Smith/Stanley do.

I’m okay with Blicavs moving into the ruck because he’s more experienced than he was in 2015. He’ll be just as good, if not better in the air timing his leap in ruck contests. He’ll be just as good, if not better at ground level as he was back then with the contested work & tackles except he’s now a much better mark than he was back then & will also run into better positions consistently which you simply learn over time.

That means we go back to the smaller defensive setup like we had in the GWS game with Blicavs, Kolodjashnij, Henry, Stewart, Tuohy, Bews (Thurlow) and simply replacing Blicavs with Taylor instead of playing both of them back there.

I’m sure Scott’s thinking about it as well considering in his presser when he was talking about being beaten in the clearances he said something along the lines of “we started to wrestle it back a bit in the middle when Blicavs went into the ruck”.

Sav said on TFS he had soreness and a "bit of a back". Not sure we want him testing that out this week with him being a primary ruck. He looks a lively KF type. He comes in for?
He was clearly rested. You could tell he had to make something up when they asked what his injury was.

And anyone. Whoever they consider should be dropped. Murdoch, parsons etc. We clearly suffered not having sav there to take the back up ruck role. Dangerfield in the ruck :drunk:

And no im not saying he should be no 1 ruck. I like him playing 90% forward and a couple minutes here and there in the ruck.

Why rob peter to pay paul play a ruck and leave Blitz and Sav available for their key position roles.
Think we open ourselves up without Blicavs down back, would rather Sav give chopout, Blitz is brilliant in defence.

Preview by cats_09

Round 10: Geelong vs Carlton @ GMHBA Stadium
At around 7:15pm on Saturday 26 May, many in attendance at GMHBA Stadium will be experiencing a first – watching Carlton run out through their banner as Geelong will host their first genuine home match against Carlton since Saturday 16 August 1997.

Last time they met: Round 19 2017, Etihad Stadium
Geelong 18.15 123 defeated Carlton 8.10 58
Brownlow Votes: 3 – T. Hawkins, 2. J Murdoch, 1 Z. Smith
AFLCA Votes: 10 T. Hawkins, 7 M. Duncan, 4. J Murdoch, 3 P. Dangerfield, 2 S. Menegola, 2 J. Selwood & 2 Z. Smith

Clearly BOG, Hawkins went crazy playing as a higher forward as he racked up marks & disposals at will, to finish with 27 disposals, 12 marks, 6 goals & 3 goal assists. Interestingly, 2 much maligned players also found themselves in both the Brownlow & Coaches votes – so will past good history against Carlton be enough to give Murdoch & Smith another run this week?

Last time they met in Geelong: Round 20 1997
Geelong 13.17 95 defeated Carlton 9.13 67
Brownlow Votes: 3 – B. Sholl, 2 – J. Barnes, 1 – D. Hall

Not much memory of this game, but needless to say there isn’t any players on either list who played in this match, though there are 3 sons of guns on the current team lists – Sam Simpson for Geelong, Jack & Alex Silvagni for Carlton, but none of the 3 are currently featuring for their sides at senior level.

Playing at a new venue:
With 21 years between trips to Geelong, the venue & ground will be new to majority of Carlton’s players with only a few recycled players from other teams having ventured down the highway prior to Saturday to play an AFL match (excluding any VFL matches a player may have come down for). From the team that was smashed to the tune of 109 points by Melbourne on Sunday, only 6 have previous experience of playing in Geelong: obviously Darcy Lang, along with Sam Kerridge, Matthew Wright, Jed Lamb, Cam O’Shea & Liam Jones.

In their (limited) experience, will they be in a position to offer advice or recommendations for how to play the ground, because we have seen over the years how opposition teams have got strangled in matches when they try to use the wings which allows Geelong to block the space down the line, rather than teams playing quickly & more directly – a tactic well used by Sydney.

The Backlines:
Carlton currently find themselves sitting 18thon the ladder having conceded a league high 959 points across the opening 9 rounds – more points than any team has actually scored so far this year – and they have allowed the opposition to score 100+ in 6 matches. It’s safe to say that defence hasn’t been a strong suit for the Blues so far this year, and on a new ground it may well struggle again if they don’t receive support from further up the ground.

Geelong’s change in defensive prowess had been well document in the lead-up to the Essendon match, and while the 84 points against on Saturday was the 2ndmost points over the past 6 weeks (losses both times), there were positives found in the defenders with acknowledgement that better team defence is required. Even after the loss, Geelong sits 17thfor points conceded just 660 across the opening 9 rounds, and only once allowing a team to hit the century.

Geelong had a found a defensive structure which worked and that was having 2 tall defenders (Blicavs & Stewart), 2 medium defenders who can play tall or small (Henry & Kolo), 2 small defenders (Bews & Zuthrie), with assistance from the likes of Thurlow, Cunico amongst others. When Harry Taylor returned from injury, the MC made the decision to drop a small in Zuthrie and the combination of 3 tall defenders may have thrown out the balance down back – ahead of this match and going forward for the rest of the season, the MC needs to review which structure will work best going forward and a hard decision may need to be made that sees a club veteran not playing every match (especially as Taylors lack of speed was noticeable against the quicker ball & player movement of Essendon), or that a youngster like Henry continues his development in the VFL.

The Midfields:
Where the match will be won or lost for Geelong – averaging a league low 9.6 centre clearances, sitting 11thfor average total clearances with 36.4, while currently sitting 9thfor average hitouts with 38.4 per match, this is the biggest challenge for Geelong both this week and going forward for the remainder for the season. Carlton on the other hand are sitting 6thfor both centre clearances (13.2) & total clearances (37.4), yet they are 14thfor hitouts with just 34.9 per match.

The challenge to the Geelong midfield this week is to knuckle down & make a genuine contest of things in the middle – too often this year when we have lost quarters & ultimately matches, its because our midfield has just rolled over & allowed the opposition to have their way with things. The names of Selwood x 2, Dangerfield, Ablett & Duncan excited many football fans before the start of the season, and its time they stood up & showed the fans why they were excited before the start of the season. Fail to fire or play as a unit, and the likes of Cripps, Curnow & Thomas could rack up 30+ disposals each.

The Forwards:
Having conceded the most points, Carlton also find themselves sitting 17thfor points scored having only 607 points for the season. An issue for Carlton has been finding an avenue to goal with only 5 players averaging 1 goal or more per game (McKay, C Curnow, Casboult, Wright & Lang). Against one of the strongest defensives units in the league, slow ball movement could easily see the Blues forward line struggle – the key for Carlton will be quick ball movement and repeated entries, something we have seen from both Essendon & Sydney over the past month, as that will pressure Geelong’s structure & can see things start to breakdown.

A revelation for Geelong in 2018 has been the introduction of Ratugolea playing as the second tall forward & back-up ruck, and his importance to our structure has been shown in his 2 absences in our loses to Hawthorn & Essendon. After being managed against Essendon, he will hopefully make a welcome return to the side to face Carlton as his work as a leading forward was missed on Saturday, and without a designated second ruck, structures were also thrown out of wack. His willingness to lead hard, crash packs and not give up once either the ball or himself hits the deck is a welcome sight for Geelong fans and surely teammates alike.

The Verdict:
Scott is hopeful that we will have Scooter, Parfitt, Ratugolea & Fogarty all available to return from injury, while good games in the VFL has the trio of Jamaine Jones (18 disposals & 2 goals), Ryan Abbott (18 disposals & 23 hitouts) and Stanley (13 disposals & 4 goals) pushing for inclusion and we should see multiple changes made to the side that had a humiliating 34 point loss to Essendon on Saturday. Smith, Parsons, Murdoch, Gregson, Horlin-Smith could find themselves in danger of being dropped, while a reconfiguration to the backline to drop the extra tall could see Taylor or Henry unlucky to miss.

Carlton now find themselves sitting 18thon the ladder and are coming off a humiliating 109 point loss to Melbourne, and they could yet again be without their captain Murphy who may be off for more scans on his injured foot after he returned for his first match from a plantar fasciainjury which was aggravated earlier this season.

While Carlton will be looking to bounce back & regain some respect it should be a step to far when they venture down the highway for the first time in over 20 years, as Geelong also look to return to form, make a statement at home and stamp their domination over the 18thplaced team.

Geelong by 63
Thanks cats09 for a fantastic preview! Really enjoyed your ideas + opinions. Well done!

Last time:

Bring back Ronnie Burns! :hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat:

Based on this comment alone
I think we'll see something special from Gaz

As long as Daniel McL hasn't jinxed him :screamcat::screamcat::screamcat:
:p:p:p

Really hoping that Gaz has a fantastic game - would love to be there to experience his first game at KP!

Last time Carlton lost by 15+ goals, they beat Sydney the following week (Round 6 last year).
Could be a danger game if we're not 100% committed.

That's why I'm perplexed by posters saying the Geelong will win easily + by a big margin. Hopefully our flogging by Essendon will inspire our players even more! Need the Boyz to play as though their lives depend upon the win.

Remember when he was cooked last year after the Giants game?
Week after he got 36 touches, 2 goals, 10 clearances and 3 Bronwlow votes against the Hawks.
He's not a normal footballer, so I'm very interested to see his response.

You've made me really excited! A goal from the Ablett pocket is essential ;)

I think most of the posters are at this point feeling very pessimistic about either of them regardless of form.

They have both been hopeless this year and Smith will need to have a blinder in the next few weeks to earn some credit.
Stanley has played a few games in a row + did well against a GWS FF. Time to give Smith a few games in a row + see if he can improve.

The suggestions to play Blitz in the ruck are so irritating, leave him Defence because he's played well there.

Hopefully SavRat returns this week + Fogarty, we've missed them.

I'd prefer to give Scooter + Parfitt another week to rest + recover.

Gaz comes in + the super duper Geelong midfield need to work as a cohesive unit, with Danger + Gaz rotating forward when SavRat rucks + Smith is resting on the bench.

Stanley has played a few games in a row + did well against a GWS FF. Time to give Smith a few games in a row + see if he can improve.

The suggestions to play Blitz in the ruck are so irritating, leave him Defence because he's played well there.

Hopefully SavRat returns this week + Fogarty, we've missed them.

I'd prefer to give Scooter + Parfitt another week to rest + recover.

Gaz comes in + the super duper Geelong midfield need to work as a cohesive unit, with Danger + Gaz rotating forward when SavRat rucks + Smith is resting on the bench.
Gaz comes in, what:huh:SNR.JNR been there the last two weeks,time to water down the plonk.

In light of recent comments regarding some of our injured best 22 still being unavailable, my wishful meat tray is as follows

In: Sav, Abbott, Jones, Constable
Out: Smith, Murdoch, Parsons, Gregson/Thurlow

3 debutantes might be too many but I'd rather them than the other spuds

This is pretty damning.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...l/news-story/b27a2957e036987dd7435232d15b893e

Not news to most of us here but when you look at the numbers you realise how bad it really is.

"A combination of Ablett, Selwood and Kelly has won only 2 of 14 centre bounce clearances.

The Cats also have the second-worst starting trio in the competition, with the “Holy Trinity” of Ablett, Dangerfield and Selwood incredibly winning only three of 14 clearances."

Is this because our ruck stocks aren't up to scratch? Gameplan?. Structure?.

It does highlight the need for those defensive mids in my mind. Sooner we see Scooter the better.

This is pretty damning.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...l/news-story/b27a2957e036987dd7435232d15b893e

Not news to most of us here but when you look at the numbers you realise how bad it really is.

"A combination of Ablett, Selwood and Kelly has won only 2 of 14 centre bounce clearances.

The Cats also have the second-worst starting trio in the competition, with the “Holy Trinity” of Ablett, Dangerfield and Selwood incredibly winning only three of 14 clearances."

It does highlight the need for those defensive mids in my mind. Sooner we see Scooter the better.
upload_2018-5-23_14-12-44.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Selwood no Parfitt no Fogarty no Menzel seems any ins will have to come from he vfl team that’s just played

Really, Bad. News.

We are missing all these players significantly. I understand that Menzel is not close but the other three being unavailable yet again is really deflating. Particularly when that trio all bring something the team desperately needs at the moment. Real pressure on the opposition ball-carriers.

What a thoroughly depressing run with injury we are having this year.

Cats podcast Tuohy said none of those players will be right for this week. Esava is back the rest no

Tuohy is well known as a prankster - is there any chance that he is just talking s**t because theres been nothing from the club about all those players being unavailable, rather the suggestion is that some or all of them will be back

Really, Bad. News.

We are missing all these players significantly. I understand that Menzel is not close but the other three being unavailable yet again is really deflating. Particularly when that trio all bring something the team desperately needs at the moment. Real pressure on the opposition ball-carriers.

Well we are kinda due, to be honest. 2013 doesn't count IMO, because it was our own fault we were so reliant on injury-prone ruckmen and Hawkins.

Whilst neither are good, stanley is beyond terrible and should not be offered another contract at the end of the year

I think one of rucks should go but not sure which, the problem is we have so many list cloggers that there are too many to get rid of in one year.

I think the reason Catsmaninamerica is wanting Blicavs in the ruck is because we are the worst centre clearance team in the league as you say. So if we’re already the worst centre clearance team with Smith/Stanley rucking, we might as well ruck Blitz who can compete well enough in the ruck but then help out a lot at ground level with tackles and winning the ball himself more than Smith/Stanley do.

Smith and Stanley are rubbish but Blicavs is worse. Do people not remember the 2014 final against North?

Play Smith, Stanley or Abbott as no1 and Sav/Stanley as no2

and sort out the mids at centre clearances, even without a good ruck they shouldn't be getting destroyed

This is pretty damning.

I’ve been saying this for a couple of years now.....watch where our midfielders stand at the centre clearances!!! They stand BEHIND their opponents all the bloody time. You never see them wrestling for the front position at centre clearances or stoppages
How can anyone get first use of the ball from that position, and why isn’t it identified in video reviews and addressed?
A clue.......the same reason we don’t stand on our opponents around the ground. Scott’s game plan is to find your own little plot of land on the ground and protect it.
Bruise free footy at its finest

Last edited:
Really, Bad. News.

Turns out giving Menzel a one year at a time contract offer is the right decision after all.
That must burn his admirers

I’ve been saying this a couple of years now.....watch where our midfielders stand at the centre clearances!!! They stand BEHIND their opponents all the bloody time. You never see them wrestling for the front position at centre clearances or stoppages around the ground.
How can you possibly get your hands first on the ball from the position, and why isn’t it identified in video reviews and addressed?
A clue.......the same reason we don’t stand on our opponents around the ground. Scott’s game plan is to find your own little plot of land in the ground and protect it.
Bruise free footy at its finest
So much of this is true. But the fab three or four was always just a media line. Many of us saw Ablett playing in the forward line or being swapped in the midfield with Dangerfield. Three of them together is just stupid. Four of them ridiculous. Funnily enough we won games last year with just Duncan- I am sure that he defers to nos 14 and 35 so we don't see the best of him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back