Autopsy Round 10 - GWS Giants vs Essendon Bombers Saturday May 26th 2018, 7.25PM - Spotless Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Brutal player review time.

Langdon should be dropped. Total passenger other than his one goal a game. Doesn’t offer enough.

Himmelberg has been rotten all season. Drop.

Lloyd very poor. Nice story but is he really AFL standard? Lobb just so far off his 2016 self. Perryman a bit of a nothing player. Hopper tries his heart out, one of the last I guess you could criticise, but he’s got zero hurt factor, every kick is just a slam on the boot.

Patton shows glimpses but disappears. Shiel looks like a shadow of what we know he’s capable of.

Haynes...where’s that elite intercept marking gone? It’s totally disappeared.

Time for a honest appraisal of a few of these blokes.

Oh and the coach needs to go ASAP.

Brutal player review time.

Langdon should be dropped. Total passenger other than his one goal a game. Doesn’t offer enough.

Himmelberg has been rotten all season. Drop.

Lloyd very poor. Nice story but is he really AFL standard? Lobb just so far off his 2016 self. Perryman a bit of a nothing player. Hopper tries his heart out, one of the last I guess you could criticise, but he’s got zero hurt factor, every kick is just a slam on the boot.

Patton shows glimpses but disappears. Shiel looks like a shadow of what we know he’s capable of.

Haynes...where’s that elite intercept marking gone? It’s totally disappeared.

Time for a honest appraisal of a few of these blokes.

Oh and the coach needs to go ASAP.
The big question then is who are you bringing in? Have a look at the reserves - who's replacing these guys? I'm not sold on their form but when the next cab off the rank is Dylan Buckley it says volumes.

The big question then is who are you bringing in? Have a look at the reserves - who's replacing these guys? I'm not sold on their form but when the next cab off the rank is Dylan Buckley it says volumes.
Yep true.

Start with little changes, in Finlayson (puzzling why he was dropped), and Sproule to get a chance over HH who’s done stuff all in 10 weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way we played tonight we will be lucky to get 5k against the suns. Simply CRAP DUMB and more DUMB

You could feel the crowd and the team drop when Tomlinson gave that 50. If that is not a ticket to the twos next week I dont know what is. Come on LEON show some cods and drop the golden child for being a complete dumb spud.

We left about 10 minutes into the third, the smoke was just too bad for both my wife's allergys and my eyes

Our ball movement was the best in months, our tacking was off and we just lost too many centre bounces.
Not sure if it was just my viewpoint but it felt like we lost every 50/50 luck outcome.
I think this is our first game without an injury?

Officially given up on any shot at a flag this year, but that's been my lot for most of the last 50 years no not slashing wrists..

HH out, Flynn in

The crowd of 10k is my major worry. That's not good for a Sarurday night. Particularly with a few k Bombers supporters there.

How confident are we that the AFL will stay the course on expansion?

During Demetriou's tenure I was very confident of that. But lately the AFL seem to be giving off weak signals on the national comp. Maybe it's just in my head. They really have little choice but to expand if they want to survive as a professional sport long term.

Attendances could get pretty grim for a while, especially with the GC game coming up.

I will say that the attendance tonight was actually very similar to the attendances against Richmond and Collingwood last season (rounds 8 and 9) but nearly 3k less than the Essendon game (round 11).

During Demetriou's tenure I was very confident of that. But lately the AFL seem to be giving off weak signals on the national comp. Maybe it's just in my head. They really have little choice but to expand if they want to survive as a professional sport long term.

Attendances could get pretty grim for a while, especially with the GC game coming up.

I will say that the attendance tonight was actually very similar to the attendances against Richmond and Collingwood last season (rounds 8 and 9) but nearly 3k less than the Essendon game (round 11).
IMO Cant see it's an issue of survival frankly. Would like the club to do a lot better than survive though. The AFL persisted with the Swans through much darker times and for much longer.

Short term on field results dont matter that much as I see it. 10 years at the bottom of the ladder might start to be a problem though.In general lots of people seem to struggle to differentiate on field success and off field success. They are different but not unrelated.

I'm firmly of the belief the target should be 30k rusted on members during the worst times which would mean a strong club, and tonight's crowd indicates we're a long way from that.

The AFL and all the clubs love the money we bring in from TV rights. Regardless of what is said in the media the fact is the AFL is better with us in the comp than without.

The trouble we have is that some of the key tenants of the game would rather we were a feeder club that was competitive but doesn’t actually win which is why there have been knee jerk actions on the Academy and the “registration error” on Todd Marshall.

They don’t want us anchored on the bottom but would also hate for us to be dominant and have put people in the right places to ensure it doesn’t happen.

I think the coaching situation is now critical and will really tell us where we are. If the AFL doesn’t do everything within its power to get Alastair Clarkson to GWS it risks missing an opportunity of a flag with a talent laden team.

At the end of this year we will be picked off again not so much with uncontracted players but with a few contracted guys seeking to go home. It will thin out the talent again and really put pressure on us.

The club has made a lot of errors but still come out ok but the coaching issue needs to be fixed right now or this could end up really ugly.

Don't we have a lot of kid supporters? Taking them to a night game probably not possible for most parents and could be why lower crowd.

We are still 2 to 3 years from panic stations yet imo. Too much talent, with the right system we will win. After that though if we don't have some culture, could get ugly.

You mean like Brody Grundy?

Oh that’s right we overlooked him 5 times.
I went back and looked at SOS's drafting for a separate conversation. The fact that we have three of eleven top 15 picks still on our list is a massive part of why we're struggling for depth right now. Debacle.

I went back and looked at SOS's drafting for a separate conversation. The fact that we have three of eleven top 15 picks still on our list is a massive part of why we're struggling for depth right now. Debacle.
Brisbane has a proud history though, and a culture of winning big in the threepeat years. Even in these very lean years for you, you have something to fall back on as do your players.

Honestly we have nothing like that at all at GWS. In fact without some real hardship I don't think success is anyone near as sweet. This whole Leon Cameron squandering our chances and us getting rid of him could be the sourness we need to have a sweeter premiership next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back