Autopsy Round 10 - GWS Giants vs Essendon Bombers Saturday May 26th 2018, 7.25PM - Spotless Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
For a while there, I thought we had our mojo back...

But a 2-goal second half soon put paid to that, especially when North piled on 10 goals like it was a training run.

Have a look at the blank stare on Leon's face in the opening second of the presser. It says it all. And the first question "Leon what do you make of that"? sounds like even the journos don't know what to say any more.

I was astounded when Leon said we didn't play the third quarter in the manner we wanted to, and the last quarter was "a wishy-washy" affair. Well, why didn't we play the third quarter in the manner we wanted to? Why was the last quarter a "wishy-washy" affair?

We're obviously in a form slump. So how do we get out of it? What's the plan? These were questions left unanswered.

The Bombers flattened the Cats yesterday in a result that surprised many, but to be blunt, there isn't a team in the competition that would fear playing us at the moment. They know if they turn up to play they're in with a shot.

In other news, Patton kicked three goals and had six "bests" in the NEAFL loss to Canberra, which was good for him. Matt Buntine and Nick Shipley were also among our best. Still no sign of Adam Kennedy.

But as Leon said our lack of form goes beyond the injury list and returning players and I think we all know that. We're struggling with basic things like ball use and hunger. There's no cohesion. These are serious problems.

This is when the team really need to know we care, so let's all make an effort to get as many people out to Spotless next Saturday and cheer them on.

We all need it.

I think we will see a different Patton today.

I reckon being dropped would have been the kick up the butt he needs.

He will be fired up and want to prove his spot. We all know what he can do

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Maybe, and it does seem like every year theres a period of time when he just battles to find form and hopefully today can be the starting point of him playing some decent footy.

I reckon we're all hoping rather than believing, but hopefully the boys believe and get out there and turn it on.

And congratulations to Lachie Whitfield on 100 games - you've been an outstanding asset to GWS. Overly maligned by the Victorian media & public (bit like Scully - I think due to the effort and skills brought to the team not being the 'individual star' qualities they want from a #1 pick) and underappreciated, but you're a star to GWS fans. Hopefully you've got another one or two centuries for us in the tank.

C'mon GIANTS!!

Pretty confident there's not 1000 there for the Photo. I declined my invitation. They're pretty noisy though.

20180526_190442.jpg

Cant get the banner visible

"Standing on the outside looking in to the eight.

Stay the course because we control our own fate"
Apt I think

And congratulations to Lachie Whitfield on 100 games - you've been an outstanding asset to GWS. Overly maligned by the Victorian media & public (bit like Scully - I think due to the effort and skills brought to the team not being the 'individual star' qualities they want from a #1 pick) and underappreciated, but you're a star to GWS fans. Hopefully you've got another one or two centuries for us in the tank.

C'mon GIANTS!!
Great post. Might not be the most flashy guy out there, but works harder than anyone, and is such an intelligent and classy player. Love watching him.

Hope the boys bring their A game tonight. Still need to see something from Himmelberg, and Langdon for me has been a tad overrated. Needs to do more. Hopper’s first half last week was about as good as I’ve seen from him, before fading. Hope he can produce that for four quarters.

I also want to see better and more damaging ball use from Taranto. Big fan, just needs more poise.

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2018-05-26/selfless-whitfields-sacrifices?

Luke Power on Whitfield:

"For a number one draft pick, he was always willing to sacrifice his own game to make the team better," he said.

"In this day and age people see all the tricks players have got and they probably look at his elite kicking, but Lachie has always known the value of doing things like covering for teammates and running defensively."

"That’s pretty impressive because usually when young players come into the AFL, especially when they're high-end talent, they're the other way around."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back