Autopsy Round 10 Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Liked - continuing our dominance over the bombers, honestly can’t remember the last time they beat us.
Learnt - Tigers still have the hunger, can’t wait to see how we go against the cats next week.
Hated - Ablett being let off again. Might not have happened yet but sure it will.

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
Liked : Tim Kelly..

Learnt : The media reporting of football this year is probably the worst i can ever remember...

Hated: The persecution of Gary Ablett jr is astounding, the game itself is weak enough without the continual media hysteria every time any small incident occurs. None of these actions would hurt a gnat yet the media and the general footy numbnut goes into meltdown. If Ablett struck the Gold Coast player (Miles? then put him out for 6 - 8 weeks...was it a Gaff like strike ? The umpire was right there and paid a high contact free, no report was made so what the hell is the problem? I wouldn't be surpised if he pulls the pin on his career prematurely...

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Liked: Brad Scott's composure in his presser and the way Norf delivered on game day...................... suspect they'll win a few more that you wouldn't have penciled in

Learnt: Geelong are just and only very just starting to taper, tiges, pies & eagles still winning while playing patchy footy and some big name outs.

Hated: IF GAJ gets off again then I hate the fact that SHocking and the MRO basically has shat in everyone's face by being hypocritical - Time to own it HQ, you made it very clearing that clenched fists being thrown that land on opp players would not be tolerated.

Now it's being tolerated.

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Liked: West Coast. Purring along doing just enough and conserving petrol for the road ahead. Second half of the year with a softer draw. If they can finish Top 4 with a fit side then just give em the cup.

Learnt: 2018 Prelim broke Melbourne. When the pressure is turned up they get 'nam flashbacks and fold. Were lucky GWS put the queue in the rack or they could have been blown off the park.

Hated: Ablett at it again. Hopefully the MRP steps in this time before he really hurts someone.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Liked - Scott making the call with North to step down. 10 years is a long time to be a senior coach, it’s a hard role, it’s tough and taxing and the buck stops with you. Many finals appearances, great effort. If he lands at another club they’ll be better for it.

Learnt - GWS are cruising along. In such an even top 5 they look like their best is seriously good. Talent everywhere, and they look to have hardened up a lot.

West Coast just have to be top 4 to win it. Seriously good outfit. A GWS v WC GF would be phenomenal.

Hated - MFC. Where do I start? What a mess. The PF last year looks like it was a fluke. I honestly can’t believe how insipid we have been. It’s got nothing to do with Lever and May because they weren’t around during finals last year!

I have honestly never seen a more diabolical outfit than ours, Carlton has been bad but Melbourne are far worse. Two more seasons like this and the club should consider its place in the AFL.

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Hated - MFC. Where do I start? What a mess. The PF last year looks like it was a fluke. I honestly can’t believe how insipid we have been. It’s got nothing to do with Lever and May because they weren’t around during finals last year!

I have honestly never seen a more diabolical outfit than ours, Carlton has been bad but Melbourne are far worse. Two more seasons like this and the club should consider its place in the AFL.

To be fair, you've got a truck load of injuries..

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Who? Melksham and Hibberd just recently got injured. May and Lever weren’t around when we won an EF and SF last year. The drop off of form is phenomenally bad.
Melksham and Hibberd are still significant, Jetta is huge, I understand May wasn't there last year but Hogan was, that was essentially the swap. Salem is important, Lewis's leadership is underrated. Dunno, think you're selling yourself short a bit mate.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Melksham and Hibberd are still significant, Jetta is huge, I understand May wasn't there last year but Hogan was, that was essentially the swap. Salem is important, Lewis's leadership is underrated. Dunno, think you're selling yourself short a bit mate.
Oh mate Melksham and hibberd are huge, Melksham in particular, but we actually played our best footy without hogan and Lewis is just done. The leadership line only goes so far I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Oh mate Melksham and hibberd are huge, Melksham in particular, but we actually played our best footy without hogan and Lewis is just done. The leadership line only goes so far I think.
I think the backline needs to be coached smarter, honestly. Watching the Demons try to switch while their midfield struggled to outrun their opponents looked very bad. I know the Hawks smashed GWS doing exactly that a few weeks ago (switching the play from the backline and then beating GWS on the spread, but the Demons telegraphed all of their kicks and simply couldn't get enough space from their opponents - sometimes GWS outright ran ahead of their opponents and the switch only caused a turnover). Coaches need to be more aware of what cows they have on the paddock. The Demons are full of contested beasts and playing an uncontested brand of football is just madness.

Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys Chicago Bulls
Liked: Every clubs Indigenous jumpers, they looked fantastic and all clubs linking arms in a show of strength against Racism. Fantastic message.

Learnt: Keep expecting the Dees to snap out of their funk but something is fundamentally broken, they are a shadow of the team they were last season. Yes they have some injuries but quite a few teams do at the moment. Can't see them making finals from here.

Hated: The Dogs ruining a perfectly good multi, Pies under 40/Dogs under 40/Tigers under 40/Saints under 40/Freo under 40.

Assholes.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Liked - Scott making the call with North to step down. 10 years is a long time to be a senior coach, it’s a hard role, it’s tough and taxing and the buck stops with you. Many finals appearances, great effort. If he lands at another club they’ll be better for it.

Learnt - GWS are cruising along. In such an even top 5 they look like their best is seriously good. Talent everywhere, and they look to have hardened up a lot.

West Coast just have to be top 4 to win it. Seriously good outfit. A GWS v WC GF would be phenomenal.

Last year your lot looked great - beating us on our own shitpile isnt a fluke - i just think like with us in 2015 getting flogged by hawthorn - it puts demons in the players heads - we scraped into the finals the next year and were flogged by the dogs

It took us a couple of years to get our mojo back - that prelim damaged your lot - sucked the confidence out of them - wont be fixed overnight

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Last year your lot looked great - beating us on our own shitpile isnt a fluke - i just think like with us in 2015 getting flogged by hawthorn - it puts demons in the players heads - we scraped into the finals the next year and were flogged by the dogs

It took us a couple of years to get our mojo back - that prelim damaged your lot - sucked the confidence out of them - wont be fixed overnight
It’s also the fact we are an average outfit playing an outdated game. You watch us play and we are the dumbest mob going around. A team of inside players who don’t and can’t spread and run, we can’t dispose of it properly and we are slow. I am telling you, if we are no good in 2-3 years the AFL need to either merge us with Carlton (if they’re still struggling) or just fold us.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think the backline needs to be coached smarter, honestly. Watching the Demons try to switch while their midfield struggled to outrun their opponents looked very bad. I know the Hawks smashed GWS doing exactly that a few weeks ago (switching the play from the backline and then beating GWS on the spread, but the Demons telegraphed all of their kicks and simply couldn't get enough space from their opponents - sometimes GWS outright ran ahead of their opponents and the switch only caused a turnover). Coaches need to be more aware of what cows they have on the paddock. The Demons are full of contested beasts and playing an uncontested brand of football is just madness.
Coaching is half the issue as is our game plan and list the other half.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
It’s also the fact we are an average outfit playing an outdated game. You watch us play and we are the dumbest mob going around. A team of inside players who don’t and can’t spread and run, we can’t dispose of it properly and we are slow. I am telling you, if we are no good in 2-3 years the AFL need to either merge us with Carlton (if they’re still struggling) or just fold us.
If there's mental issues still from the prelim, that would cause the problems you are facing. Last year you looked the goods. There's no reason to suggest Melbourne can't return to that eventually if the players get their heads sorted and put that behind them.
In 2016 we had a very similar season, high expectations on the back of pretty good performances in prior years, only for it all to fall into a heap and have pretty much identical problems to those you list. Now almost overnight we've become an experienced contender with virtually none of those issues.

Sometimes I reckon it's just a few little things going wrong having a huge impact on performance but aren't as difficult to fix as it may seem.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
If there's mental issues still from the prelim, that would cause the problems you are facing. Last year you looked the goods. There's no reason to suggest Melbourne can't return to that eventually if the players get their heads sorted and put that behind them.
In 2016 we had a very similar season, high expectations on the back of pretty good performances in prior years, only for it all to fall into a heap and have pretty much identical problems to those you list. Now almost overnight we've become an experienced contender with virtually none of those issues.

Sometimes I reckon it's just a few little things going wrong having a huge impact on performance but aren't as difficult to fix as it may seem.
In comparison to Richmond;

1. We didn’t play finals 3 years running to have an off season
2. We don’t have genuine star players like you do
3. We have no speed
4. Our skills are B grade for the majority
5. We have an unbalanced list

Without fixing points 2-5 we can’t even near having 3 consecutive years of finals. I mean pre 2006 we were a pretty regular finals team, basically the Bailey & Neeld years ruined our club and Roos only just straightened us up with comprehensive change.

People forget that last year in round 21 we’d lost to Sydney and blown our top 4 chance, only to play a block of 4 good weeks (wins against WC, GWS, then finals against Geelong and Hawthorn), before capitulating against WC in a PF final.

The thing is we’ve been worked out in 2019 and we don’t have the cattle to fix it. We need a comprehensive overhaul of our list and we need to work out why guys like Weidemann and McDonald have gone backwards.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
if we are no good in 2-3 years the AFL need to either merge us with Carlton (if they’re still struggling) or just fold us.

Talk about dramatic! Folding or merging the oldest club in the comp with one of the used to be big 4 on the back of you're salty on the disappointing form of the year that was supposed to be.

If clubs and other supporters held your view we wouldn't have a comp at all.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Talk about dramatic! Folding or merging the oldest club in the comp with one of the used to be big 4 on the back of you're salty on the disappointing form of the year that was supposed to be.

If clubs and other supporters held your view we wouldn't have a comp at all.
Which clubs have been as perennially poor or underwhelming than us or Carlton?

Jul 30, 2012
Just behind you...
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Tassie
Liked: a win, Brissie are coming along though. hodge for nix was a masterstroke.
Learnt: no club is ever one player away from contending. If you drop off a even a little, its contagious.
Hated: nothing much. Don’t like Bolton playing kids who aren’t ready. I presume under instructions, the next coach will gain from the game time into Dow etc, who appear not ready yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back