Autopsy Round 10 Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

You can tell your grandkids you were there when Ablett finally got suspended.

Ha! I took my then 3 year old daughter to see Gary Ablett Senior kick 12 goals against Richmond in 1993 just so she could one day tell people she saw Ablett play...I keep reminding her she did see GAS

It’s also the fact we are an average outfit playing an outdated game. You watch us play and we are the dumbest mob going around. A team of inside players who don’t and can’t spread and run, we can’t dispose of it properly and we are slow. I am telling you, if we are no good in 2-3 years the AFL need to either merge us with Carlton (if they’re still struggling) or just fold us.
Yeah well - the amount of people tipped us for bottom four In 2018.

I seem to remember there was one poster didnt but....

Sometimes it looks worse from the inside....

Liked - Eagles second half comeback v Adelaide.That was heaps good.The Richmond v Essendon game was alright I suppose it kept me company while I drank some beer.

Learned - Essendon have an inflated opinion of their list and how good they are and are a bit oblivious to how far down the road to oblivion they were not long ago.John Worsfold (their coach) likes attractive high skilled contested acountable footy.He loves it and it doesnt always come off when your list isnt that great.But anyway...

Hated - umpire clangers.Every week there is a new worst decission ever.This weeks one was the mark and resultant goal paid to the Fremantle forward that got paid although the only person with arms up for the ball and the only person whos hand could have been on it when no one else was within two meters and could have made the ball change direction from west to east was infact the Brisbo defender.Not mentioned in all the hype and joy of Fremantles one point win and the relief at the confirmation that Fremantle are infact a confirmed bog average middle of the road side.

Last edited:
Liked: Adelaide keep showing they are a good first half team.

Learnt: that Geelong supporters will go to any length to absolve GAJ from straight up punching someone in the face.

Hated: Adelaide continue to show they are a woeful second half team. Oppo are NEVER out of it.

Coaching is half the issue as is our game plan and list the other half.
The Demons would look like monsters if they had Ross Lyon coaching them, weirdly. That's the style of football they should be playing with the players they have, IMO. Kick into highly congested contests. Create as many stoppages as possible to bring Max Gawn into the game even more. It's why Fremantle were at the height of their powers when Sandilands was at the top of his game. Pretty football? Hell no. Winning football? Hell yes.

OK if you dislike your team that much then ditch em, come join us.............. I know what the answer will be.

He doesn't want to lose his job, his teeth, and marry his sister?

Liked : Tim Kelly..

Learnt : The media reporting of football this year is probably the worst i can ever remember...

Hated: The persecution of Gary Ablett jr is astounding, the game itself is weak enough without the continual media hysteria every time any small incident occurs. None of these actions would hurt a gnat yet the media and the general footy numbnut goes into meltdown. If Ablett struck the Gold Coast player (Miles? then put him out for 6 - 8 weeks...was it a Gaff like strike ? The umpire was right there and paid a high contact free, no report was made so what the hell is the problem? I wouldn't be surpised if he pulls the pin on his career prematurely...

You are kidding re: Ablett right?
Never have I seen someone treated better.

The bloke should've been suspended 3 weeks in a row.
Can you imagine if someone who wasn't liked did that?

If Tex Walker had done it, there would be a public lynching.

Liked: a win, Brissie are coming along though. hodge for nix was a masterstroke.
Learnt: no club is ever one player away from contending. If you drop off a even a little, its contagious.
Hated: nothing much. Don’t like Bolton playing kids who aren’t ready. I presume under instructions, the next coach will gain from the game time into Dow etc, who appear not ready yet.

Dont tell blues fans that.
They think that if a first year draftee doesnt play immediately then he's no good.

Jaded bunch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked - Eagles second half comeback v Adelaide.That was heaps good.The Richmond v Essendon game was alright I suppose it kept me company while I drank some beer.

Learned - Essendon have an inflated opinion of their list and how good they are and are a bit oblivious to how far down the road to oblivion they were not long ago.John Worsfold (their coach) likes attractive high skilled contested acountable footy.He loves it and it doesnt always come off when your list isnt that great.But anyway...

Hated - umpire clangers.Every week there is a new worst decission ever.This weeks one was the mark and resultant goal paid to the Fremantle forward that got paid although the only person with arms up for the ball and the only person whos hand could have been on it when no one else was within two meters and could have made the ball change direction from west to east was infact the Brisbo defender.Not mentioned in all the hype and joy of Fremantles one point win and the relief at the confirmation that Fremantle are infact a confirmed bog average middle of the road side.

Eagles win - meh whatevs

Fremantle win - entire paragraph of unhinged vitriol

The fact that Fremantle winning engenders more passion from you than your own mob pulling off a stunning comeback is genuinely sad. Stop obsessing and ranting incoherently over every little thing Fremantle do and maybe just enjoy the Weags success a little bit more instead, hey? WC are reigning premiers and very much look like repeating, srsly in your position I'd be in a constant state of euphoria and wouldn't give two shits about much else.

Liked: 'Kick after the siren to win it'.. we all did it in the backyard growing up, and it's still the best.
Learned: West Coast will get a chance to defend their Premiership. Definitely top 2 material.
Hated: Holding the ball confuses everyone, yet there's still no clarity coming from the AFL.

LIKED...The emergence of a few G.F contenders.
HATE... The very blurry line of correct and incorrect disposal. Another year and we will accept that "in an under pressure" situation a throw will be acceptable.
The players are that good at it now it is even starting to look like a handball.

Liked : We won. . And we were the team beaten for the majority of the night and got over a team that typically has the edge on us even when we are the higher ranked side. Instead of another heart breaking loss like the last 2 weeks where we were the better team for the majority of the match and had it stolen from us. It shows the players have heart, spirit, belief, and are still playing for don pyke for any one who was questioning that, and claiming pyke had lost the group. We are a win outside the top 4 with a healthy % for where we are, better than the 4th placed team anyway.

Hated : 62 inside 50's to 45 the Dees way. Not good enough... Well shouldn't have been good enough, but it was lol... and Sloaneys injury obviously.

Learnt :
I thought Keath was pretty good and held his own while providing run off the backline unlike any other KPD we have (except Doedee who is obviously out for awhile, or lever who we don't even have anymore cos he's a lever by name and by nature.)

The one who I thought let us down the most was Jake Kelly , and I've been a big supporter of kelly's , but he had his colours lowered last night imho.

His direct match up on paper was Harmes and just purely going on stats, Kelly had 15 disposals, 10 tackles which is a good effort but also 5 clangers from 15 disposals (pretty poor) and 7 marks, pretty good. But going by eye he couldn't spoil and looked slow, nothing swapping him with hartigan would have fixed imho.

While Harmes had on paper 29 disposals (double kelly's. Not good enough for a defender on a key player) , 3 marks and 3 tackles, bit of an alround game, and he had 6 inside 50's. Too much of the ball and too many inside 50's. He hurt us. He also had 5 clangers, but his 5 clangers came from 29 disposals compared to kelly's 5 clangers from 15 disposals. If anyone were to go for Hartigan, which i wouldn't want it to happen next week, i would like to give this backline a bit more time, maybe til the bye at least, and see if we are still winning matches without hartigan but if kelly isn't up to it, i think he should be the out for hartigan, not keath, that's for sure.

Let's not gloss over the fact they had 62 inside 50's and we still won the game. That's right SIXTY TWO INSIDE 50'S!!. Hartigan would fall to pieces under that type of pressure. Seen it time and time again. Him not playing was probably the difference between us winning, and losing in all honesty. They finally got something right at the selection table imo, while we only had 45 inside 50's and still got the result. Not ideal, but it shows overall our defence held up as well, enough... Just. But the weak link last night imho was kelly. Which is disappointing because i do rate him as a key player for our side going forward.

I actually don't think hartigan needs to come back until after the bye at the earliest and that's only if we are leaking goals like we do when he does play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back